How Many Of You Eat Thai Food 3x A Day?

h5n1

when in Thailand I make my own food...the wife eats next door at Mama's...usually about 6-8 folks hunkered down on the floor in the traditional way. I stay clear because of the cooking and food smells...some of it smells like human excrement...

in a pinch I get one of the kids to get me some khao phat moo...the lady that does the cooking at the stall knows how I like it (no egg and no nam plaa)...

I must be different than others on this thread...authentic thai cuisine shouldn't be fed to animals...if you can afford something fancy at a restaurant or a high end food stall then OK, but that ain't thai food...my wife calls it 'chinese food'. If it don't stink like <deleted> or is inedible like in a handful of chiles per mouthful it ain't thai food...

lemme tell you about the fire drill that resulted in our apartment block in Abu Dhabi when my wife made 'gaeng som'...it should be banned by international standard...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeeze tutsi, I really do feel sorry for your plight man.

My wife isn't originally from Suphan and I'm not all that familiar with the way they cook down in south end of the province but up around Sam Chuk, I've got no complaints with the food. Sometimes the Somtom is too hot for this farang but generally, all the kway teeow food available is decent stuff.

What 'dish' in particular smells like ca ca? :o

What 'dish' in particular smells like ca ca? :o

the aforementioned gaeng som is a good candidate...even more foul that what can be imagined...otherwise I can't really point to anything specific as there are usually 4-5 different dishes whenever you have the family eating together...either or all could be suspected...

:D:D

Breakfast is usually khai palo moo with panang gai/moo, phat kapow optional. Lunch seafood kapow or gweteo talay sap. Some khao mok gai also. Dinner can be seafood, moo gatak, nam , larb, tord man bla/kung/gai.

Thai food is excellent. Still like other interntional foods. French, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Mexican, etc....

I eat Thai food for dinner everynight.

But my fiancee always makes it, Ive put on 15 kgs in 3 years, it was 20 kgs before but I lots abit of weight.

I love the stuff.

When I go to Thailand its nothing but Thai food for me

But my fiancee always makes it, Ive put on 15 kgs in 3 years, it was 20 kgs before but I lots abit of weight.

I love the stuff.

gemme a cheeseburger...better for yer waistline...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

when in Thailand I make my own food...the wife eats next door at Mama's...usually about 6-8 folks hunkered down on the floor in the traditional way. I stay clear because of the cooking and food smells...some of it smells like human excrement...

in a pinch I get one of the kids to get me some khao phat moo...the lady that does the cooking at the stall knows how I like it (no egg and no nam plaa)...

I must be different than others on this thread...authentic thai cuisine shouldn't be fed to animals...if you can afford something fancy at a restaurant or a high end food stall then OK, but that ain't thai food...my wife calls it 'chinese food'. If it don't stink like <deleted> or is inedible like in a handful of chiles per mouthful it ain't thai food...

lemme tell you about the fire drill that resulted in our apartment block in Abu Dhabi when my wife made 'gaeng som'...it should be banned by international standard...

I dont blame you at all.

In a recent trip to " upcountry " I could eat almost nothing.

Ants eggs, baby frogs and raw beef just dont do it for me.

My wife calles Bangkok food, Thai food and she doesnt like it very much.

The food that she likes is, although far from Laos, closer to lao food than Bangkok food.

She doesnt really know how to cook a lot of Thai food but I eat it every day.

To her credit though she makes the best tom yum goong that I have tried.

Just as an aside, the prawns that I tried in Thailand pale into in insignificance compared to the ones we can get in the south pacific. They were allways to soft and not very fresh by my standards.

This was a real let down for me as I love the things.

Is there anywhere you can find good prawns or am I just a bit spoilt living down here.

I love the stuff.

Right...heard your waistline is outta control. :o

Is there anywhere you can find good prawns or am I just a bit spoilt living down here.

prawns are one of the items that there is plenty of locally and I usually eat lots when at home. They're usually farmed freshwater prawns and go for 50 - 100 baht per kilo. The wife just steams them and eat with the orange colored prawn dipping sauce.

where we live prawns are usually sold at a weekly market at a local wat.

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I think it depends a lot on where you live.

In Phuket Western food is easy to come by. I can't eat Thai food all the time as I want something to get my teeth stuck into.

My favourite food is Indian, but due to the piss-poor Indian food here in Phuket, I cook it myself with fresh, hot chappatis.

I'd say I eat Thai food about a third of the time. Too much good western food that you can cook cheaply:- Eggs 'n' bacon, spaghetti bolognese. Good bread and cheese here too.

I think it depends a lot on where you live.

In Phuket Western food is easy to come by. I can't eat Thai food all the time as I want something to get my teeth stuck into.

My favourite food is Indian, but due to the piss-poor Indian food here in Phuket, I cook it myself with fresh, hot chappatis.I'd say I eat Thai food about a third of the time. Too much good western food that you can cook cheaply:- Eggs 'n' bacon, spaghetti bolognese. Good bread and cheese here too.

where do you get your indian spices (whole seed cumin, coriander, fennel, mustard, cardamon etc. and powdered tumeric, garam masala, etc.) and where do you get chappati flour? I brought a load back from Bahrain as I reckoned that none could be found in Thailand (my stash is guarded by one of the nephews armed with assault rifle ordnance).

If you got an outlet in Phuket please advise...would be a good excuse to come south for a break in the Suphanburi monotony...

Right...heard your waistline is outta control. :D

Boon...I haven't seen a cheeseburger in all of Suphanburi. Deprived of the waist saving benefits thereof one expects to gain weight...

here in HCMC I just walk on down to the nearest Lotteria fast food

Right...heard your waistline is outta control. :o

Boon...I haven't seen a cheeseburger in all of Suphanburi. Deprived of the waist saving benefits thereof one expects to gain weight...

here in HCMC I just walk on down to the nearest Lotteria fast food restaurant and say 'GIMME A CHEESEBURGER!' then pull out the mouth harp and toot the opening to The Steve Miller Band's 'Livin' in the USA' and the beautiful little VN girls scurry about in choreographed fashion and voila...nicely trimmed with chopped lettuce and tomatoes..

strange that there ain't no Golden Arches hereabouts...the MacDonald's Corp must have taken the military defeat personally...lots of scope here in HCMC for the cheeseburger business...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

prawns are one of the items that there is plenty of locally and I usually eat lots when at home. They're usually farmed freshwater prawns and go for 50 - 100 baht per kilo. The wife just steams them and eat with the orange colored prawn dipping sauce.

When in Thailand I stay mostly in Nakhom Pathom but travel to Suphan and Sam Chuek regularly as the girlfriend has relatives there.We often buy prawn from roadside stalls with their tanks.Usually she buys the biggest type at 200-220b a kilo.Whilst I like them some meals are better with the smaller types but I don't see these still swimming in tanks.Where do you get them at 50-100b? always cost more than that.

When in Thailand I stay mostly in Nakhom Pathom but travel to Suphan and Sam Chuek regularly as the girlfriend has relatives there.We often buy prawn from roadside stalls with their tanks.Usually she buys the biggest type at 200-220b a kilo.Whilst I like them some meals are better with the smaller types but I don't see these still swimming in tanks.Where do you get them at 50-100b? always cost more than that.

we live near Song Phi Nong off of highway 3640 - main road btw Nakhom Pathom and Amphur Suphan - and there is a big wat (road to wat Phai and down to BKK) where they do loy kratong and other celebrations and where they have a weekly market on Wednesday, I believe...never paid more than 100 baht per kilo of jumbo sized farmed prawns. Them highway stalls see you comin' and you got to be prepared to pay extra...

at the wat market also get excellent deals for mangoes and other fruit in season...better than the the daily Song Phi Nong/ Bang Li market...some days fairly swimmin' in freshly peeled and sliced mango and water melon...mmmmm, mmmmm, good.....

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I eat Thai food everyday when I am in Thailand and can easily knock back a spicy rice dish for breakfast. Somtum is my favourite, Somtum Thai and Somtum Pu Pala is nice too, but then again there isn't anything I don't like (except the chicken feet in the cheaper Green Curry Chickens you can buy). I also eat off the carts when it looks good and it's busy. There's nothing like the BBQ Squid with that lime, chilli and garlic sauce. Over the years I got a bit slack and on occasions I buy bread for the nexts days breakfast, just to get something in my stomache before I go out for the day.

When I am back in Australia it's back to western food mostly because my wife like it so much. She loves pizzas and all sorts of farang foods, however she draws the line at our beloved Vegemite. :o

• 3 weeks later...

When in Thailand I eat Thai food almost 100% of the time; food stalls, restaurants and my wifey's home cooking (or homecooked meals by other Thais). I was introduced to Thai food 20 years before I ever had the idea to come here and loved it. And of course it's so much better once you're here. The variety is astounding so I never get bored. I don't miss western food much but I do love my bread and cheeses. Once in a blue moon is fine for me, though.

I eat Thai food everyday when I am in Thailand and can easily knock back a spicy rice dish for breakfast. Somtum is my favourite, Somtum Thai and Somtum Pu Pala is nice too, but then again there isn't anything I don't like (except the chicken feet in the cheaper Green Curry Chickens you can buy). I also eat off the carts when it looks good and it's busy. There's nothing like the BBQ Squid with that lime, chilli and garlic sauce. Over the years I got a bit slack and on occasions I buy bread for the nexts days breakfast, just to get something in my stomache before I go out for the day.

When I am back in Australia it's back to western food mostly because my wife like it so much. She loves pizzas and all sorts of farang foods, however she draws the line at our beloved Vegemite. :o

I gave my fiancee her very first vegemite sanga, she spit it on the floor saying what the hel_l is that. hehehheehe she thought it was going to taste like some exotic chocolate which made me laugh.

the bread in Thailand is so bad yew wouldn't want to poison yer worst enemy wid it...

however...if you disguise the taste with bacon, lettuce and tomato AND LOTS OF MAYO (on toasted Thai bread...helps to improve the flavor) you may be able to survive...

I don't even put tuna mayonaise on bread anymore...ruins the taste...

If you are a white bread eater, then try (if you havn't already) the japanese bakery on top of Isetan at the world trade centre. Their bread is the closest you'll find to perfect in thailand.

I don't eat thai 3 times/day but I would I eat thai roughly 10 times/week. I can't live without bread either. Old habits die hard.

• 1 month later...
I passionately hate mayonnaise on bread,...

We built an outside, stone oven to make our bread, Greek style - we figured if we were going to introduce Ma and Pa to the wonders of yeast and flour, it at least should be a quality product.

After an initial success of sublime bread (and perfect roasts as well), the dogs took over.

The oven is now home to a bitch and her six puppies.

What do you need bread for, anyway?

The Thai “menu” is the best in the world, on the standards of variety and nutritional value.

Give the hot dogs, hamburgers and Mayo to the bitch and her brood - that´s all they are fit for.

I passionately hate mayonnaise on bread, and until further I blame the Americans for tricking the Thais into thinking all Westerners love whatever food as long as it is drenched in mayo. California rolls with mayo... :o

california rolls with mayo?...as a substitute for soy sauce, ginger and wasabi? Interesting concept...sorta like mayo on pommes frites (Vincent from Pulp Fiction: 'I seen them do it man, they drown them in that stuff...')

the allusion is to the Thai version of Pulp Fiction...in order to stay on topic...

I eat about two Thai meals per day, usually breakfast and dinner. Lunch is whatever I can find wherever I can find it, but regardless of how good it might wind up being, it can never compare to Thai food. My taste buds have begun a love affair...

Growing up on the Mexican-American border, I'm no stranger to spicy foods (I love whole roasted jalapenos, seasoning with serranos, and am willing to drench just about anything with habanero or cayenne salsa). But Thai food brings all new meaning to the word spicy. A packet of Thai spicy noodles makes munching on jalapeno seeds seem like sucking on an ice cube. Yet I wouldn't have it any other way.

One thing I don't understand is how all these tiny Thai girls can consume rice by the pound as if it were air while I am satiated after one bowl. It must be genetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah one girl I work with is on a diet, I told her that maybe you should eat rice as all the asian girls eat it and they always thin, she said her doctor said that rice actually makes you fat because it has some bullsh1t in it.

Personally I think rice doesnt make you fat as my fiancee eats bags full of the stuff and weight about as heavy as my bicep