How Many Of You Eat Thai Food 3x A Day?

h5n1

Unfortunately I am putting on a fair bit of weight since my wife moved here as she has a habit of buying chips (crisps) and biscuits and ice cream and other unhealthy snack food. I never used to buy these for myself but I tend to lack will power when they are laid out in front of me and I tend to eat more than her.

Know the feeling. If it gets through the front door, I'm sunk.

No bread. Only Thai food and no chillies.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived in Thailand for 5 years and probably eat Thai about 80% of the time.

Breakfast is fresh Coffee and some form of cake or I'll have Gaeng Penang with Batong Kho or boiled chicken and rice with the spicy ginger sauce.

During the day I will have Kau Niaouw and some chilli 'dip' (e.g. nam prik pratoo), possibly with bbq chicken or pork. Dinner varies a lot, but generally kau niaouw and larb/grilled fish/moo dat diaouw/som tam/tom yam gung (nam sei). We eat quite a bit of KFC, as the kids like it (4 & 2) and occasionally order a pizza, though I usually regret it.

I've given up going out to restaurants for thai food, as I think you get better food on the street, but sometimes we go to Tamnan Thai on Sukhumvit or a seafood place in Prapadaeng (never seen another westerner out there!)

When I go to the north of Thailand it is 100% Thai, though I do make a few things in the kitchen when I'm up there to introduce the family to some western dishes and try out some thai stuff myself (once they thought I had made a western dish, but actually it was supposed to be a thai one!)

I drink Beer Chang (1 bottle a day at least), as it tastes better than that Heineken p*ss, but Scottish whisky (it's funny watching a Thai from ban nok drinking a glass of Laphroig whisky after you've told them how much it costs a bottle! :o

I miss wine, bread and cheese, not because I can't get it, but it's just too expensive. So I only have it occasionally, from the Oriental bakery and buy the odd bottle of wine from soi Convent.

Whenever I'm back in the UK I gorge on Wine, bread, cakes, pies, black pudding, haggis, olives, salad and indian takeaways, but I always miss Thai food after a few days.

I eat thai food all the time. Usually curried crab or tom yum or tom kha gai or something like that. I don't like the isaan dishes too much because they have little content and you mostly eat it for the spicy "flavor" with other foods. Laap is one exception. I love the duck laap and I had it fresh once from a slaughtered duck and it was by far the best single dish i've ever tasted.

My favorite single dish is still tom kha gai. I can eat that stuff all the time and if it's well made I never get bored with it.

Food combination is one of the best and easiest diets I have ever tried. Basically don't mix you carbs and protein in one meal - especially processesed carbs like pasta. So a lasangne is out of the question! :D

ps also, you must eat you're meals 4 hours apart. It does work though!

I second that. Proper food combining really drops the pounds and increases the energy level at the same time.

If you think about it in evolutionary terms, it's only recently that humans have had the option of whatever they wished at any time or at any meal. In other words, not too long ago the men would go out and hunt. If they got something, everyone ate meat. If a particular fruit or vegetable was in season, everyone ate that.

How does your body work in light of this? Well, carbs require an alkaline environment to be properly digested and protein requires an acidic environment. When both food types hit the stomach, glands and enzymes go a bit nuts trying to suss what to do. That's why indigestion is such a huge problem in the West (especially).

However, I'll suffer the consequences for a good plate (or two) of lasagna!! :D

Bread? Yes please. :o

Tutsi, we're with you. My husband seems to despise all Thai food except noodle soup, and then that can't have any of the pork or chicken or fish balls in it. He wonders why everything has to be so spicy when that level of spiciness doesn't add flavor, it just burns your mouth.

Try teaching your husband to eat food by chewing at the sides of your mouth - not on the tongue. My g/f taught me this - amazing how well this works, particularly with somtam.

I doubt your husband will change he reminds of Shirley Valentines husband :D

We eat 90% Thai and I can manage most things except uncooked crabs and beef. I can take or leave chickens feet but noodles without balls :o . Breakfast can sometomes be an east/west fusion with sausages, bacon, cheese (brie and danish blue), toast and chilli sauce. I can now manage without English marmalade and am quite happy with Best ? brand as it is not too sweet.

Try teaching your husband to eat food by chewing at the sides of your mouth - not on the tongue. My g/f taught me this - amazing how well this works, particularly with somtam.

:o Your kidding aren't you? Personally I always chew at the side of my mouth (As that is where my "chewing" teeth are :D ) but the chilli still manages to find my taste buds thankfully.

• 1 month later...

after 2 years away in asia, i had same trouble, but eating english food. My sister told me i have to start eating sometime and i thought about english breakfasts and bread & butter. i thought gross. it took near enough 8 months but i still refuse to eat a sunday roast.

my main meals at home is always rice, meat with chili. havent so far been able to wake at 4am and make asian breakfast for work in UK