Smartphone To Transmit Podcasts To Car Radio

cheeryble

Hi

I got an ad from Amazon in the email for a nice touchscreen thingy which goes in a car radio slot and has a touchscreen.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HJ3J8K/ref=pe_70020_29640700_pe_row3_b3//

It does lots of stuff including transferring phone audio to the car system, MP4s etc, but the thing I really want is to play podcasts and be able to FF and reverse and PAUSE and so on.

I have a little USB transmitter-to-radio which fits in the cig lighter now it's greatand very cheap but if you stop the engine it starts at the beginning again and I never get to hear to the end.

So I mentioned this to a friend and he suggested as I need a camera in my phone getting a smartphone......which I could use anyway......which will transmit audio over a radio frequency for my podcasts which could simply be dropped into the phone from my Macbook.

And he showed me that the radio thing did actually exist on his Nokia (N8?) about 9 or 10,000 baht!

My question.

I don't want to spend a great deal, maybe 5000 for a phone with OK camera.

What should I buy and will it always have the radio send thing in it, or is it an app.......in which case it would surely need hardware for the transmission?

cheers

Edited by cheeryble

You buy one of those Bluetooth transmitters that go in the cigarette lighter socket. Pair it with your phone and select a frequency. Tune the radio into that frequency.

Download a Podcast app like Player FM.

Play or resume your podcast.

It's a doddle. I use it to listen to streaming radio in the car, using an app called Xiialive.

The transmitters are as cheap as chips and you can find them in any gadget/electronics shop.

There are loads of cheap Android phones that will do this.

http://dx.com/c/car-accessories-799/car-audio-systems-707/fm-transmitters-players-710

Edited by Chicog

Thankyou for the suggestion and the app name......however a place like Amorn only seems to sell the regular USB-to-FM.......((I'm on my third one).....nothing about bluetooth that I've noticed.

On the page you kindly sent the 11th gadget mentions Bluetooth. Is that the one?

And wouldn't it just be easier to transmit straight from the phone to the radio?

Edited by cheeryble

Thankyou for the suggestion and the app name......however a place like Amorn only seems to sell the regular USB-to-FM.......((I'm on my third one).....nothing about bluetooth that I've noticed. On the page you kindly sent the 11th gadget mentions Bluetooth. Is that the one? And wouldn't it just be easier to transmit straight from the phone to the radio?

Except Phones don't transmit in the FM Radio range (at least none that I know of).

What radio do you have at the moment?

Does it have line in?

If so you could just plug the phone in via a cable.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

It's a Sony which came with the car in 1999. No line in......at the front anyway.

Thankyou for the suggestion and the app name......however a place like Amorn only seems to sell the regular USB-to-FM.......((I'm on my third one).....nothing about bluetooth that I've noticed. On the page you kindly sent the 11th gadget mentions Bluetooth. Is that the one? And wouldn't it just be easier to transmit straight from the phone to the radio?

Except Phones don't transmit in the FM Radio range (at least none that I know of).

It seems they do.......my friend showed me and adjusted the frequency on his N8.

Just don't need to spend that much, just need something with a vaguely decent camera.

I purchased a blue tooth thingo that goes into the 3.5mm line in on my car radio. I then (via bluetooth from my "smart phone") play my favorite radio station from back home using an app called "Tune In"............. works a treat.

I purchased a blue tooth thingo that goes into the 3.5mm line in on my car radio. I then (via bluetooth from my "smart phone") play my favorite radio station from back home using an app called "Tune In"............. works a treat.

Again thanx but......

No 3.5mm line in (minijack).

And if I had a minijack in I could connect a line.....wink.png

Sorry to labour it but I regard podcasts as one of the best things in life.....one can drift into just the world one's interested in......exactly when one chooses. The quality and choice coming along is bewildering.

Edited by cheeryble

Google

Jabra cruiser2,just got one off amazon uk for£40-

It will do what you want with a smartphone,I've got an iphone5 and calls music and even sat nav instructions are relayed thru to radio via the best signal available at your location,this bit of kit will work with any FM radio.

Alan

Thankyou for all your helps.

The reason I asked about the smartphone is it is something I can use everywhere not just spend inside the car (plus the ordering from abroad).

I have learned that hardly any phones transmit but we tried out my friend's Nokia N8 and it worked very well except a wee bit of interference because of music station signals. Not bad but not perfect.

I have decided taht if there is indeed a gadger for the cigarette lighter which picks up bluetooth and transmits FM to the radio this would sound the best and I could just use my iPad to choose the podcast and send bluetooth......much easier than fiddling with earphones.

So Chicog if you could give any more specific info on that gadget I'd be very grateful. Is it the one in the picture list I mentioned?