Thai Officials In China To Negotiate Lin Ping's Longer Stay

Lite Beer

Thai officials in China to negotiate Lin Ping's longer stay
By Digital Media

13680109768210-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, May 8 - A group of Thai representatives travelled to China today to negotiate a longer stay for Lin Ping, the panda that was born in Thailand.

The officials, led by Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Preecha Rengsomboonsuk, said they were certain to receive a positive result from Chinese authorities.

Other representatives joining the trip included the ministry's permanent secretary Chote Trachoo and the Zoological Park Organisation director, among others.

The negotiation will be the official first-time talk among both countries' authorities. The Thai officials will ask the Chinese Minister of Environmental Protection to approve Lin Ping to stay another five years in Thailand.

Mr Preecha said the negotiations will focus on changing the content of the contract of Thailand having Lin Ping in possession. The existing contract will end May 27.

There have been previous discussions among officials of both countries, but the processes as well as timing, panda care along with other issues, including panda research to be conducted by both Thailand and China, are still to be discussed in detail.

Singthong Buachoom, heading a sub-committee concerning the panda project in Thailand, said apart from proposing to China that Thailand would like to keep Lin Ping for another five years in the project's second phase, Thailand will propose China to support more panda breeding in Thailand by asking China to send a male panda to mate with Lin Ping.

Lin Ping's parents, Chuang Chuang and Lin Hui, will also be asked to stay in the country for another five years.

Mr Singthong said both countries plan to develop a research on panda conservation. He said Thailand is fully ready to care for pandas, while China praised Thailand as the best country in the world for taking care of its animals.

He added there might be a chance that Thailand and China will set up a joint panda conservation centre in Thailand, which will also be the first such centre in ASEAN.

To support this project, he said, however, that the government may have to increase the budget at least Bt7.5 million/year.

Mr Singthong believed that the good relations of both countries would make China to answer positively to Thailand's requests. The result of the negotiations is expected on Saturday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-08

footer_n.gif

Apart from political purposes, what interest should Thailand have in panda conservation? Perhaps money would be better spentconserving the Mekong river and environs, as it's shared between both countries..

• Like 1

But if Ling Pin was born in Thailand he's Thai.

I wouldn't be surprised if the negotiations actually are about how much China will cough up to get him.

How would he ever survive without sticky rice and somtaam?

This could turn into the spratleys..

Edited by Thai at Heart

But if Ling Pin was born in Thailand he's Thai.

I wouldn't be surprised if the negotiations actually are about how much China will cough up to get him.

How would he ever survive without sticky rice and somtaam?

This could turn into the spratleys..

You mean they want to keep him to eat the rice mountains they are creating ?

• Like 1

Lin Ping was born to Chinese parents so therefor does not automatically qualify for Thai citizenship,at present she has to do 90 day reports and is an additional source of income for Thai immigration.

That's where the argument stems from.

• Like 1

Apart from political purposes, what interest should Thailand have in panda conservation? Perhaps money would be better spentconserving the Mekong river and environs, as it's shared between both countries..

The Mekong (and other rivers) are being dammed at the source in the CCP-PRC so Beijing can blackmail Thailand and SE Asia anytime it wants to, over anything. I can see the PLA invading Thailand to "save our pandas" against the Thai menace. The pandas here would make Thailand PRChinese territory, for sure. I'd have to flee to Rangoon for my freedom.

The Mekong (and other rivers) are being dammed at the source in the CCP-PRC so Beijing can blackmail Thailand and SE Asia anytime it wants to, over anything. I can see the PLA invading Thailand to "save our pandas" against the Thai menace. The pandas here would make Thailand PRChinese territory, for sure. I'd have to flee to Rangoon for my freedom.

When you compare the volume of flow of the Mekong in spate to the withholding capacity of the Chinese dams, you will realise how silly that blackmail threat would be.

The PLA invading Thailand for that reason would cause pandamonium.

• Like 2

"Lin Ping's parents, Chuang Chuang and Lin Hui, will also be asked to stay in the country for another five years"

I didnt realise anyone in the human race spoke Panda....smile.png ...seems Thailand has it own Dr Doolittle...must be Plodrasop

But what happens if Lin Ping's parents decline and wish to go home to China, what happens to Lin Ping is a dependent ?...surely Thailand woulnt be so cruel to forcefully separate parents and child from each other..whistling.gif

I heard that the Panda's have broken fittings in their enclosures and a civil case have been opened against them. The court took their passports away and they are awaiting trail, can take up to 3 years to conclude this case.

On a more serious note, CM zoo made B 200 mil from tickets sales for the panda enclosures, which excludes their income from normal zoo entry ticket sales. It's about money.

Tongue in cheek guys. The tone of this thread is humor with a good dose of sarcasm. Let me make it more obvious: cheesy.gif

(Also, lemme mention your two posts constitute too many quote boxes in this ancient TVF technology, so I can't put both your quotes in with these remarks I offer.)

Beijing damming rivers at their sources in the PRChina, many of which flow into SE Asia and/or India, is reality. The PRC-CCP invading Thailand is not reality, because of three pandas especially. cheesy.gif

Also, however, too much of the reality of Black American English gets boring and perhaps a bit offensive. I'm white however so maybe it's not my place to speak up in the matter. coffee1.gif I do hear a lot of honking in the many attempts to imitate it smile.png .

While we're doing language Mark Twain style, lemme take this time to say Thais often sound like ducks in the phonics of their ancient language. wai.gif

Lin Ping was born to Chinese parents so therefor does not automatically qualify for Thai citizenship,at present she has to do 90 day reports and is an additional source of income for Thai immigration.

That's where the argument stems from.

But she won't be fined for overstay until she's fourteen.