Tuk Tuks And Taxis In Phuket. A Different Perspective

IrishIvan

There are a great many tuk tuk drivers in Phuket that are really good guys. One of the drivers for the dive shop I used to work for is one now, and he was a super nice guy. And 25,000B is a lot for a Thai actually, especially for a job requiring no education

What you forgot to ask him, Ivan, is whether he owned his tuk tuk or rented from someone, or was hired to drive it for the owner. Very few are driven by the owners. The way it works is, the original tuk tuk drivers made so much money that they bought a bunch of tuk tuks and hired drivers or rented them out. Eventually the next generation of drivers made enough money that they bought a bunch and rented them out, etc etc. These original few are the ones that own dozens of tuk tuks and are filthy rich now. (See Mayor of Patong and his son, the President of the Patong Tuk Tuk federation)

When I did the same thing you did 4-5 years ago, the driver, this one of the Kata Karon tuk tuk co-op, was also seemed a nice enough chap. He said that he makes 50,000B mo in the high season and no less than 20,000B in the low season. He also said that the Kata Karon group was better organized than Patong, and their numbers kept lower so less competition and higher fares. At the time is was 400B Kata to Patong, but 300B from Patong to Kata.

Look at these price lists for Phuket tuk tuks, then look at the ones from other regions of Thailand. Granted Bangkok tuk tuks are converted motorcycles and Phuket tuk tuks are little trucks, but HatYai tuk tuks are the same little trucks. Still. the difference in price is staggering. And don't forget, Pattaya songthaews are 10B and tilac rides for free!

Other parts of Thailand. See just how badly we're getting ripped off:

I have been to other parts of Thailand before and seen the differences. But these guys are not having to compete with foreigners in Pattaya and Bangkok.

Its all about choice. Dont take taxis or tuk tuks if you think they are overpriced.

To the first point: Compete with what foreigners? You mean the Russian taxi rank that was allegedly going to be set up somewhere up north? Didn't happen, so please explain that comment to me.

To the second point, a point that is always made in these threads, and to which I always respond the same: I don't use them, and I advise all our guests to not use them if possible, in fact nor do I patronize any establishments that advertises on them like Buffalo Steak House Two Chefs, Hot Yoga etc., and I tell those establishments why. It goes so far beyond just not using them though. Their negative image affects the livelihoods of a lot of people, Thai and expat, that rely on tourism for a living. Just Google "Phuket tuk tuk" and see what comes up. 10 negative stories for every neutral or positive one. It has been pointed out repeatedly that the lack of any affordable transport leads to more traffic and parking problems as the tuk tuks and taxi's take up much of the public parking. Easily half of the space on the street outside our hotel is taken up by tuk tuks and taxi's. When you park in their space, drivers have resorted to violence. (recall family put in hospital by umbrella pole wielding tuk tuk driver) They will create their own checkpoints in order to stop cars entering and exiting resorts and question and intimidate the drivers as they did my Thai neighbor that picked up clients of her property sales company, and they did with a friends husband (remember the Koh Chang Elephant Trekking driver beaten, car smashed by local tuk tuk taxi drivers while customers inside), One driver brandished a gun to a friend during a disagreement, I personally saw 20 or so drivers beat down two foreigners on Bangla road, most of the drivers had no idea why the fight started, but just wanted to get a few punches or kicks in while the guys were down. The list goes on.

Forever at the mafia's mercy

Fears of attacks delays airport bus launch date

Curing the Festering Sores of Public Transport

Tuk, Taxi, Jetski scams; Phuket Ambassadors Name The Bane of Phuket

Battle Lines Drawn: "You start this service, we will Blockade the Roads." Says Tuk Tuk boss

Phuket Tuk Tuk Driver gets Suspended Sentence for Attack on Tourist

Phuket Opinion: Time to take on the tuk-tuks

Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family for parking in 'wrong place

Thaivisa: Tuk Tuks clearly a bane to Phuket tourism

Tourist Belted By Tuk Tuk Driver

Tuk tuk driver questioned over sexual assault of British girl.

Swedish Tourist Punched by Tuk Tuk driver.

Tuk Tuk Violence

Local expat gets major beatdown by 4 tuk tuk drivers.

Crazy tuk tuk driver tries to run me off the road.

Tuk tuk driver stabs Welshman

4 Aussie tourists beaten and stabbed by gang of tuk tuk drivers

Tuk-tuks warned: ‘improve or die’

Tuk Tuk fares still to high: Consuls

PM turns spotlight on Phuket problems

Taxi driver charged with rape

Phuket Cruise ship passengers blockaded

Tuk tuk driver assaults a Canadian man after the man refused to pay the extortionate price for a 1 minute ride

Tuk-tuks blockade US military in Phuket.

Governor lays out strategy for war on ‘taxi mafia’

Tuk-tuk drivers in protest over access to port

Eco-tour firms protest tuk tuk ‘bullies’

Issues and Answers: Why aren't parking rules enforced (on tuk tuks) in Karon?

Issues and Answers: Tuk-tuks in Kata-Karon

Issues and Answers: Action on tuk-tuk rip-offs

Issuea and Answers: Why no bus between Kata/Karon and Patong? Answer: Bus driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition."

Issues and Answers: "Government intervention will be needed to create a new taxi service in Phuket." - Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Traffic Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station

"Stay away from tuk tuks and ladyboys" Says Phuket Governor

The Sydney Morning Herald: Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Fodor's Travel Guide: Phuket Tuk Tuks and exorbitant charges.

Lonely Planet Travel Guide: Phuket tuk tuk warning

Tripadvisor: Phuket's Tuk Tuks are still at it.

Tat 'worried' About Phuket Tuk-tuk Gangs

Tuk Tuk standoff in Karoni

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

A recent visitors comments about the taxi mafia

Phuket Taxi: Primitive transport

Would you believe it..Police citing the taxi mafia?

Beating the taxi fares/

Phuket Public Transport: Cartels continue in the driver's seat

Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

Phuket consuls keep pressure on tuk-tuk, jet-ski scams

Phuket tuk tuk fares in the firing line

Paradise Lost

Phuket officials tackle tuk tuk blockades

Good old Phuket tuk tuks at it again

Phukets must do's and don'ts

"Their negative image affects the livelihoods of a lot of people, Thai and expat, that rely on tourism for a living." - I've always said that if you own accommodation, say a small guest house, just a little too far to walk to the beach, or the nightlife, you are going to have low occupancy rates.

Also, if you own a bar, a little out of the way, you will sell less alcohol, as people will have to ride/drive to your area, or could be bothered to walk there. Most riding/driving will watch their alcohol intake and leave early.

Basically, if people have to catch a tuk-tuk to your establishment, or from your establishment, they have already decreased your market, therefore sales.

I met a couple of guys a while ago who were staying on the outskirts of Patong. I asked them how much the tuk-tuks charged them to come into Bangla Road. They told me that the owner of the hotel dropped them off in his car and told them to ring him, ANYTIME, and he will come and pick them up. Obviously, acting as a black taxi under the "disguise" he was picking up friends. If he didn't offer this service, the two guys would probably not have stayed at his hotel.

Most tourists expect freedom of movement when they go on a holiday. They come to Phuket and feel "locked in" to the area that is walking distance around their accommodation, or "pushed" to hire a motorbike.

Definately, the tuk-tuks are effecting the spread of business and money over the island.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd blame tour operators for the money not flowing out into local business.

They keep them on the bus and drop them at places designated by commission. The zero baht tourist is what they call it. The tuk tuks even suffer from this wave of them.

This is far worse blight on tourism than some taxi drivers who has a financed civic with 500k worth of accessories to pay off.

On the other hand, you could say that people take these packaged deals with transportation included is in part down to the transport options. None.

• Like 1

There are a great many tuk tuk drivers in Phuket that are really good guys. One of the drivers for the dive shop I used to work for is one now, and he was a super nice guy. And 25,000B is a lot for a Thai actually, especially for a job requiring no education

What you forgot to ask him, Ivan, is whether he owned his tuk tuk or rented from someone, or was hired to drive it for the owner. Very few are driven by the owners. The way it works is, the original tuk tuk drivers made so much money that they bought a bunch of tuk tuks and hired drivers or rented them out. Eventually the next generation of drivers made enough money that they bought a bunch and rented them out, etc etc. These original few are the ones that own dozens of tuk tuks and are filthy rich now. (See Mayor of Patong and his son, the President of the Patong Tuk Tuk federation)

When I did the same thing you did 4-5 years ago, the driver, this one of the Kata Karon tuk tuk co-op, was also seemed a nice enough chap. He said that he makes 50,000B mo in the high season and no less than 20,000B in the low season. He also said that the Kata Karon group was better organized than Patong, and their numbers kept lower so less competition and higher fares. At the time is was 400B Kata to Patong, but 300B from Patong to Kata.

Look at these price lists for Phuket tuk tuks, then look at the ones from other regions of Thailand. Granted Bangkok tuk tuks are converted motorcycles and Phuket tuk tuks are little trucks, but HatYai tuk tuks are the same little trucks. Still. the difference in price is staggering. And don't forget, Pattaya songthaews are 10B and tilac rides for free!

I have been to other parts of Thailand before and seen the differences. But these guys are not having to compete with foreigners in Pattaya and Bangkok.

Its all about choice. Dont take taxis or tuk tuks if you think they are overpriced.

To the first point: Compete with what foreigners? You mean the Russian taxi rank that was allegedly going to be set up somewhere up north? Didn't happen, so please explain that comment to me.

To the second point, a point that is always made in these threads, and to which I always respond the same: I don't use them, and I advise all our guests to not use them if possible, in fact nor do I patronize any establishments that advertises on them like Buffalo Steak House  Two Chefs, Hot Yoga etc., and I tell those establishments why. It goes so far beyond just not using them though. Their negative image affects the livelihoods of a lot of people, Thai and expat, that rely on tourism for a living. Just Google "Phuket tuk tuk" and see what comes up. 10 negative stories for every neutral or positive one.  It has been pointed out repeatedly that the lack of any affordable transport leads to more traffic and parking problems as the tuk tuks and taxi's take up much of the public parking. Easily half of the space on the street outside our hotel is taken up by tuk tuks and taxi's. When you park in their space, drivers have resorted to violence. (recall family put in hospital by umbrella pole wielding tuk tuk driver) They will create their own checkpoints in order to stop cars entering and exiting resorts and question and intimidate the drivers as they did my Thai neighbor that picked up clients of her property sales company, and they did with a friends husband (remember the Koh Chang Elephant Trekking driver beaten, car smashed by local tuk tuk taxi drivers while customers inside), One driver brandished a gun to a friend during a disagreement, I personally saw 20 or so drivers beat down two foreigners on Bangla road, most of the drivers had no idea why the fight started, but just wanted to get a few punches or kicks in while the guys were down. The list goes on.

Battle Lines Drawn: "You start this service, we will Blockade the Roads." Says Tuk Tuk boss

Tuk Tuk Violence

Tuk tuk driver assaults a Canadian man after the man refused to pay the extortionate price for a 1 minute ride

Issuea and Answers: Why no bus between Kata/Karon and Patong? Answer: Bus driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition."

Issues and Answers: "Government intervention will be needed to create a new taxi service in Phuket." - Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Traffic Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station 

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

Beating the taxi fares/

Paradise Lost

Its all from expat newspapers that is only read by expats. The answer is easy if people are that outraged by taxi prices then rent a car. I always do when I travel abroad and no matter what country I am in, it works out cheaper. Plus im not putting my life in someone elses hands. If people do not know how to drive a car or a bike or even a bycicle in this day and age. Then it astonishes me how they managed to organise a flight a passport and board a plane to get here. Edited by IrishIvan

I'd blame tour operators for the money not flowing out into local business.

They keep them on the bus and drop them at places designated by commission. The zero baht tourist is what they call it. The tuk tuks even suffer from this wave of them.

This is far worse blight on tourism than some taxi drivers who has a financed civic with 500k worth of accessories to pay off.

On the other hand, you could say that people take these packaged deals with transportation included is in part down to the transport options. None.

There's an element of truth and logic in what you have said but most people on these tours would still be on them whether there's viable public transport or not. Hopping on and off buses may appeal to the backpacker or adventure traveller but not to the average package tourist or the much in-demand high net worth tourist, particularly the Asian market. London probably has the best public transport infrastructure in the world but the busloads of Chinese and Japanese are still there for all to see.

• Like 1

NamKangMan, on 08 May 2013 - 23:59, said:

"For me I actually sympathized with this man." - For me, sympathy for this man is ZERO.

What foreigners does he think he is competing with? The package holiday tourists, Russian and Chinese, organise coach buses, due to the overpriced tuk-tuk.

He, along with other drivers, and the "association" - better known as the cartel / mafia, have priced themselves out of the transport market.

I would have asked him if he thought he could make more money driving around like a hop-on / hop-off baht bus, like in Pattaya. It's obviously successful in Pattaya. Why not here?

I also would have replied to his, "Is 500 baht expensive for you" question with - "No, but I can rent a motorbike for 24 hours for 200 baht. Do you think people will pay your 500 baht, or hire a motorbike? You charge 500 baht to Rawai and 500 baht back to Patong. That's 1000 baht. I can rent a motorbike, ride to Rawai, rent a guest house room for the night for 500 baht, go out drinking, and ride back to Patong the next day, and the cost is only 700 baht. I save 300 baht." I would have like to hear is reply to that. smile.png

Look at his salary. Many Thai university graduates do not earn what he earns and he has no tertiary education.

They only have themselves to blame for loss of income, bought about by their poor reputation and ridiculous high pricing under a system that offers them protection and guarantees no competition to them on the island.

I hope you don't listen to the bar girls sob stories as you did with this tuk-tuk driver. Next thing you know, you will be sending money to him for "sick tuk-tuk." smile.pngsmile.png

So there's no middle ground with you, huh? They are ALL bad and mafia, right? No humanity in these drivers at all? Edited by HerbalEd

"For me I actually sympathized with this man." - For me, sympathy for this man is ZERO.

What foreigners does he think he is competing with? The package holiday tourists, Russian and Chinese, organise coach buses, due to the overpriced tuk-tuk.

He, along with other drivers, and the "association" - better known as the cartel / mafia, have priced themselves out of the transport market.

I would have asked him if he thought he could make more money driving around like a hop-on / hop-off baht bus, like in Pattaya. It's obviously successful in Pattaya. Why not here?

I also would have replied to his, "Is 500 baht expensive for you" question with - "No, but I can rent a motorbike for 24 hours for 200 baht. Do you think people will pay your 500 baht, or hire a motorbike? You charge 500 baht to Rawai and 500 baht back to Patong. That's 1000 baht. I can rent a motorbike, ride to Rawai, rent a guest house room for the night for 500 baht, go out drinking, and ride back to Patong the next day, and the cost is only 700 baht. I save 300 baht." I would have like to hear is reply to that. smile.png

Look at his salary. Many Thai university graduates do not earn what he earns and he has no tertiary education.

They only have themselves to blame for loss of income, bought about by their poor reputation and ridiculous high pricing under a system that offers them protection and guarantees no competition to them on the island.

I hope you don't listen to the bar girls sob stories as you did with this tuk-tuk driver. Next thing you know, you will be sending money to him for "sick tuk-tuk." smile.pngsmile.png

Less than zero. Let real taxis and busses operate freely and have the market decide. Those that want to drive a pimped out taxi can pay 500. While the rest of us can enjoy a 50-100 baht Aircon Bus ride minus the stupid essan remix "music" blasting out of some raggedy tuk tuk.

There are a great many tuk tuk drivers in Phuket that are really good guys. One of the drivers for the dive shop I used to work for is one now, and he was a super nice guy. And 25,000B is a lot for a Thai actually, especially for a job requiring no education

What you forgot to ask him, Ivan, is whether he owned his tuk tuk or rented from someone, or was hired to drive it for the owner. Very few are driven by the owners. The way it works is, the original tuk tuk drivers made so much money that they bought a bunch of tuk tuks and hired drivers or rented them out. Eventually the next generation of drivers made enough money that they bought a bunch and rented them out, etc etc. These original few are the ones that own dozens of tuk tuks and are filthy rich now. (See Mayor of Patong and his son, the President of the Patong Tuk Tuk federation)

When I did the same thing you did 4-5 years ago, the driver, this one of the Kata Karon tuk tuk co-op, was also seemed a nice enough chap. He said that he makes 50,000B mo in the high season and no less than 20,000B in the low season. He also said that the Kata Karon group was better organized than Patong, and their numbers kept lower so less competition and higher fares. At the time is was 400B Kata to Patong, but 300B from Patong to Kata.

Look at these price lists for Phuket tuk tuks, then look at the ones from other regions of Thailand. Granted Bangkok tuk tuks are converted motorcycles and Phuket tuk tuks are little trucks, but HatYai tuk tuks are the same little trucks. Still. the difference in price is staggering. And don't forget, Pattaya songthaews are 10B and tilac rides for free!

To the first point: Compete with what foreigners? You mean the Russian taxi rank that was allegedly going to be set up somewhere up north? Didn't happen, so please explain that comment to me.

To the second point, a point that is always made in these threads, and to which I always respond the same: I don't use them, and I advise all our guests to not use them if possible, in fact nor do I patronize any establishments that advertises on them like Buffalo Steak House Two Chefs, Hot Yoga etc., and I tell those establishments why. It goes so far beyond just not using them though. Their negative image affects the livelihoods of a lot of people, Thai and expat, that rely on tourism for a living. Just Google "Phuket tuk tuk" and see what comes up. 10 negative stories for every neutral or positive one. It has been pointed out repeatedly that the lack of any affordable transport leads to more traffic and parking problems as the tuk tuks and taxi's take up much of the public parking. Easily half of the space on the street outside our hotel is taken up by tuk tuks and taxi's. When you park in their space, drivers have resorted to violence. (recall family put in hospital by umbrella pole wielding tuk tuk driver) They will create their own checkpoints in order to stop cars entering and exiting resorts and question and intimidate the drivers as they did my Thai neighbor that picked up clients of her property sales company, and they did with a friends husband (remember the Koh Chang Elephant Trekking driver beaten, car smashed by local tuk tuk taxi drivers while customers inside), One driver brandished a gun to a friend during a disagreement, I personally saw 20 or so drivers beat down two foreigners on Bangla road, most of the drivers had no idea why the fight started, but just wanted to get a few punches or kicks in while the guys were down. The list goes on.

Tuk Tuk Violence

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

Beating the taxi fares/

Paradise Lost

Its all from expat newspapers that is only read by expats. The answer is easy if people are that outraged by taxi prices then rent a car. I always do when I travel abroad and no matter what country I am in, it works out cheaper. Plus im not putting my life in someone elses hands. If people do not know how to drive a car or a bike or even a bycicle in this day and age. Then it astonishes me how they managed to organise a flight a passport and board a plane to get here.

It astonishes me that you can post that comment about rent car.motorbike. bicycle considering how many types of holiday makers that come here EG Family's with young children, Older Family's, People on a budget , many would not be capable of driving in the mayhem of Thai roads.Many could not cope with the hills say around Phuket on a bicycle i could just see a Dad saying to his wife and kids we are going to hire some bicycle and go for a nice bike ride .

This ai'nt Holland.

• Like 1

NamKangMan, on 08 May 2013 - 23:59, said:

So there's no middle ground with you, huh? They are ALL bad and mafia, right? No humanity in these drivers at all?

NO.....YES....AND NO.

20-25k a month what kind of education does this tuk tukk guys have? = zero he should be making 10k not more then a fresh student out from Chula..

What has education got do with making money?? Many people who never went to university make a very, very good living.

"I am happy if Russian and other Asian people come to Phuket but I get angry when I see shops and restaurants closed and foreigners working”

Where does he see all these foreigners working?

And where are all these closed restaurants? I only see more opening daily ... and not a one staffed by farangs either.

Its the usual beef of the working class that can do nothing to change their conditions - blame the foreigners.

Though at 30k a month , he gets the pay of 3 Thai lady hotel Housekeepers ( with tips) ... admittedly he has to lay in the back of his TT all evening listening to his stereo while he awaits his clients in the nightclub, which must be hard work.

Is he also stating that with the familys left over 5k a month , he bought a car stereo system worth 100k , or 20 months of their surplus? Good man...

Did you really say "Working Class" ???? dear God
  • Like 1

35K a month expenses. Bull###T.

Room 3.5K (probably shared)

Food 3.5K

fees 2k (Max)

utilities 600

Total circa 10K

I would suggest his family budget looks more like this:

Snooker hall fees 2K

Gambling snooker 4k

Gambling football 8K

Whiskey 5K

Karaoke girls 4K

Loan repayments 4K

Cigarettes 500

Total 27K5

Oh....and the 2K5 shortfall in your tuk tuk drivers budget will of course be taken from his wife's income (under threat of violence if she does not comply). Any residual will then be spent on the family...

The family budget is irrelevant to the OP comments as are your personal finances. The tuk tuk driver stated the facts as he saw them. Agree or not..up to you. I guess the real point is if you don't want to pay for the service don't use them. Bear in mind many tourists are here for a good time (and cashed up) and 20 dollars or so isn't going to break the budget particularly if they have been drinking (likely) and just want to get somewhere.

What is the percentage of tourist getting beaten up by the mafia drivers.....not much I would think. Most people would happily pay for the service...(whine about it later perhaps as I have in other parts of the world) but weigh up the positives of not driving drunk to the risks of riding a motorbike drunk.

Keep in mind Phuket, in its present form, exists primarily for the tourist dollar not the alien resident.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 2

20-25k a month what kind of education does this tuk tukk guys have? = zero he should be making 10k not more then a fresh student out from Chula..How elitist of you. Makes me wonder what people would think if some tourists and non-immigrant visitors came to thier countries and dictated for them what they should or should not be able to earn.If they were earning it legally I would agree with you. But sadly no.

So how is it illegal to charge someone to get into taxis? There is billions of baht in black money in Thailand. The taxi drivers of Phuket dont even come into that equation

You just don't get it.

Here's an easy example. If Airports of Thailand (AOT) only allowed Thai Airways to use Phuket International Airport, no other airlines can operate out of Phuket Airport, only Thai Airways, and then Thai Airways charged 20,000 baht minimum price from Phuket to Bangkok - most people would be catching the bus to go to Bangkok.

The tuk-tuks have done the same here, and allowed to by certain "inflential people" for a fee, so most people here are on a motorbike, in a car, or walking.

It's called collusion and monopolising and it's allowed to happen due to corruption.

That's why there is no "free market" transport system here. All the tuk-tuks charge the same price and they do not allow any competition to enter the industry through violence.

It's called collusion and monopolising and it's allowed to happen due to corruption.

Hummm, some might have noticed all the banks raised their ATM fee from 150 to 180 bahts, at the same time.

What a hell of a coincidence also...

Edited by Andre0720

35K a month expenses. Bull###T.

Room 3.5K (probably shared)

Food 3.5K

fees 2k (Max)

utilities 600

Total circa 10K

I would suggest his family budget looks more like this:

Snooker hall fees 2K

Gambling snooker 4k

Gambling football 8K

Whiskey 5K

Karaoke girls 4K

Loan repayments 4K

Cigarettes 500

Total 27K5

Oh....and the 2K5 shortfall in your tuk tuk drivers budget will of course be taken from his wife's income (under threat of violence if she does not comply). Any residual will then be spent on the family...

The family budget is irrelevant to the OP comments as are your personal finances. The tuk tuk driver stated the facts as he saw them. Agree or not..up to you. I guess the real point is if you don't want to pay for the service don't use them. Bear in mind many tourists are here for a good time (and cashed up) and 20 dollars or so isn't going to break the budget particularly if they have been drinking (likely) and just want to get somewhere.

What is the percentage of tourist getting beaten up by the mafia drivers.....not much I would think. Most people would happily pay for the service...(whine about it later perhaps as I have in other parts of the world) but weigh up the positives of not driving drunk to the risks of riding a motorbike drunk.

Keep in mind Phuket, in its present form, exists primarily for the tourist dollar not the alien resident.

''Most people would happily pay for the service''

But then that would not preclude an expectation of a reasonable fee for a given service.

If these thai people would come to my country, the reasonable fee for a service would be posted and charged accordingly.

Is it asking too much to be granted the same

• Like 2

Tuk Tuk Violence

Tuk-tuks warned: âimprove or dieâ

Governor lays out strategy for war on âtaxi mafiaâ

Eco-tour firms protest tuk tuk âbulliesâ

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

Beating the taxi fares/

Paradise Lost

Its all from expat newspapers that is only read by expats. The answer is easy if people are that outraged by taxi prices then rent a car. I always do when I travel abroad and no matter what country I am in, it works out cheaper. Plus im not putting my life in someone elses hands. If people do not know how to drive a car or a bike or even a bycicle in this day and age. Then it astonishes me how they managed to organise a flight a passport and board a plane to get here.
I'm sure many know how to drive or ride a bike. But also many may come to get on the booze and not want to drink and drive so have to pay whatever the going exhorbitant rate is.

Which is why I tell friends that if they insist on going to Phuket, against my advice, then they must stay within walking distance of where they most want to go, mainly Bangla Rd.

20-25k a month what kind of education does this tuk tukk guys have? = zero he should be making 10k not more then a fresh student out from Chula..

i have a high school education and drive a truck earning $100k + a year. the guy owns his tuk tuk, so i don't really see a problem with him earning a better the average wage. If i owned my truck, my earning potential would be alot higher and of course the risk of losing everything is there as well. I don't really have a problem with paying a fair price for a tuk tuk, but the protective attitude and the high charge for a short trip are more of an issue. even the motorbike taxis are more extreme then the tuk tuk. 8 years ago i paid 10 baht for a ride in patong. last year the guy asked for 200.

<snip>

Thanks for the list of links.

I will send them to several newspapers, tourists agencies, holiday programmes, etc. You never know, might get things stirred up a bit.

By the way, what ever happened to the airport bus service? I thought it was 'delayed' until the end of April. Is it totally dead now?

Every person in any country has a right to make money without breaking the law.

What right have you got, to dictate that he must earn less than a uni graduate ?

Surely, if you are still working you would like to earn and make more money than

people less educated than you.

Isn't it ??

The biggest problem with the transport industry in Phuket isnt the drivers. Its the newspapers and reporters. Also forums dont help. Cast your eyes back to Farangland. If a drunk idiot got into a fight with a taxi driver in New York or London and got a punch in the face for playing up, does it require embassy intervention? Does it make the local rag? Does the local expat forum turn into a pack of hyenas? The answer is no. The fact is that nothing really noteworthy happens in Phuket. A couple of suicides. The beach is dirty. Timeshare touts are annoying people. Is my bar girl girlfriend really a bar girl? Im a reformed sex tourist that now owns a great real estate company..... the headlines are the same every week. If there is any bad publicity its not from the locals working in the transport industry. Its media hype and reporters trying to justify their existence. The reporters of Phuket should actually go out and find a new story instead of re hashing old junk and trying to put fear into potential customers to Phuket. They are damaging Phukets reputation more than anyone else.

• Like 2

The biggest problem with the transport industry in Phuket isnt the drivers. Its the newspapers and reporters. Also forums dont help. Cast your eyes back to Farangland. If a drunk idiot got into a fight with a taxi driver in New York or London and got a punch in the face for playing up, does it require embassy intervention? Does it make the local rag? Does the local expat forum turn into a pack of hyenas? The answer is no. The fact is that nothing really noteworthy happens in Phuket. A couple of suicides. The beach is dirty. Timeshare touts are annoying people. Is my bar girl girlfriend really a bar girl? Im a reformed sex tourist that now owns a great real estate company..... the headlines are the same every week. If there is any bad publicity its not from the locals working in the transport industry. Its media hype and reporters trying to justify their existence. The reporters of Phuket should actually go out and find a new story instead of re hashing old junk and trying to put fear into potential customers to Phuket. They are damaging Phukets reputation more than anyone else.

Bad news travels fast as they say. But it's not entirely the newspapers and reporters to blame. If you'd never been to Phuket and based your impressions of it solely on (seemingly the majority of) comments you read in this forum, you'd sooner holiday in hell than come here.

The English media on Phuket is crap and the standard of reporting low.

I think "the site that can't be mentioned" does a reasonable job.

Agree in general. But I really think that the editor of "the site that can't be mentioned" just likes to stir up controversy in their comment section to gain more hits for his website. They're just as low standard and crappy as the rest.

Edited by iSabai
  • Like 2

Free markets dictate wages not Thai visa

OK, you want to talk about "free markets"? It's not a free market at all. That's why we refer to their racket as a "mafia". Duh. They perpetrate a transport monopoly, sometimes resorting to violence to do so, and that's why they can "dictate wages". To be able to "dictate" in that manner is NOT a free market. Let these drivers compete, allowing all who want to try their hand at it, without any of the anti-competitive intimidation or smackdowns (against either newcomer would-be driver/providers OR tourists!), and wherever the price settles THEN I'll agree is fair. 'Course that's not gonna' happen, as you & they well know. After all these years and widespread internet exposure of what goes on, their stories must be pretty well-oiled, and you not only eat it up, but actually try to become one of their apologists. You must own quite a collection of bridges to nowhere.

But I DO take your advice (to NomadJoe). I avoid Phuket, period.

OK, you want to talk about "free markets"? It's not a free market at all. That's why we refer to their racket as a "mafia". Duh. They perpetrate a transport monopoly, sometimes resorting to violence to do so, and that's why they can "dictate wages". To be able to "dictate" in that manner is NOT a free market. Let these drivers compete, allowing all who want to try their hand at it, without any of the anti-competitive intimidation or smackdowns (against either newcomer would-be driver/providers OR tourists!), and wherever the price settles THEN I'll agree is fair. 'Course that's not gonna' happen, as you & they well know. After all these years and widespread internet exposure of what goes on, their stories must be pretty well-oiled, and you not only eat it up, but actually try to become one of their apologists. You must own quite a collection of bridges to nowhere.

Look at Australia by a couple of cities. Sydney has only Taxis Combined. Its very rare to get a different cab there. Swan Taxis are the only ones in Perth. That to me constitutes a monopoly. The bosses of these monopolies are getting rich, not the drivers. Last time I looked a taxi driver in Australia isnt exactly a glamour job.

There are hundreds of different little taxi outfits in Phuket. From mom and pop setups to the black plate taxis at the guesthouses. Larger resorts have their own green plate taxis. Plus they have the bigger fleets in Karon and Patong. I bet if you walked into your local bar the lady behind the counter could arrange a taxi for you any time of the day or night.

Try that in Singapore after a night out drinking. There are 100s of people queuing up at the taxi ranks till the early hours of the morning. The same in Australia. Getting a taxi anywhere in any city there on a Friday or Saturday night is impossible. Try getting a cab in KL that will put on the meter.

Lets look at Australian Cabbies

Do they fix their prices in Australia? Sure. Its a set price everywhere. The meters are pin point accurate. But a lot of them wont even take you if there isnt enough money in it for themselves.

Do they get into fights with drunks and resort to violence? Yes they do, they even have a panic button where all the cabbies swarm to the troubled spot like a pack of hyenas.

Does this make the paper when a few cabbies flog a tourist thay probably deserved it? No.

Do the cops in Australia chase it up or really care? No because the buy was pissed drunk and deserved it because he tried to do a runner.

Do the taxi drivers in Australia stick together to get better wages? Of course they do its human nature.

A friend of mine is here now in Phuket. He has wife and 4 kids. He doesnt want to rent a bike as its out of the question and he is too scared to drive a car here.

He actually picked a taxi driver near his hotel in Kata, and only uses him. He couldnt believe it was only 700 baht to Rawai from his hotel in Karon return..and the guy waits for him for a few hours while he is drinking beer with me and his family are relaxing at my house.

He said in Melbourne where he is from the taxi would be twice as much. And he would have to get 2 taxis to drive his family over. Because there is no chance ofsqueezing an extra kid or 2 in the taxi to save money. And the guy was waiting for him.

A very happy camper indeed. and he uses the same taxi driver to do all his family's shopping, and take his family to the beach and all the rest. I have heard plenty of similar stoties from my friends on holidays that are satisfied customers.

Perhaps focusing more on the positives than negetives with these taxi drivers who IMO are just trying to make a living.

It wont make any difference at all if they put meters in Taxis. They will just increase the surchages exactly the same way they do in metered cabs from the airport. Meters just mean the owners of bigger companies will be able to see how much money the taxi drivers are making, and take a bigger slice. The cabbies will then refuse to turn the meters on and the cycle continues.

Edited by IrishIvan

Look at Australia by a couple of cities. Sydney has only Taxis Combined. Its very rare to get a different cab there. Swan Taxis are the only ones in Perth. That to me constitutes a monopoly. The bosses of these monopolies are getting rich, not the drivers. Last time I looked a taxi driver in Australia isnt exactly a glamour job.

There are hundreds of different little taxi outfits in Phuket. From mom and pop setups to the black plate taxis at the guesthouses. Larger resorts have their own green plate taxis. Plus they have the bigger fleets in Karon and Patong. I bet if you walked into your local bar the lady behind the counter could arrange a taxi for you any time of the day or night.

Try that in Singapore after a night out drinking. There are 100s of people queuing up at the taxi ranks till the early hours of the morning. The same in Australia. Getting a taxi anywhere in any city there on a Friday or Saturday night is impossible. Try getting a cab in KL that will put on the meter.

Lets look at Australian Cabbies

Do they fix their prices in Australia? Sure. Its a set price everywhere. The meters are pin point accurate. But a lot of them wont even take you if there isnt enough money in it for themselves.

Do they get into fights with drunks and resort to violence? Yes they do, they even have a panic button where all the cabbies swarm to the troubled spot like a pack of hyenas.

Does this make the paper when a few cabbies flog a tourist thay probably deserved it? No.

Do the cops in Australia chase it up or really care? No because the buy was pissed drunk and deserved it because he tried to do a runner.

Do the taxi drivers in Australia stick together to get better wages? Of course they do its human nature.

A friend of mine is here now in Phuket. He has wife and 4 kids. He doesnt want to rent a bike as its out of the question and he is too scared to drive a car here.

He actually picked a taxi driver near his hotel in Kata, and only uses him. He couldnt believe it was only 700 baht to Rawai from his hotel in Karon return..and the guy waits for him for a few hours while he is drinking beer with me and his family are relaxing at my house.

He said in Melbourne where he is from the taxi would be twice as much. And he would have to get 2 taxis to drive his family over. Because there is no chance ofsqueezing an extra kid or 2 in the taxi to save money. And the guy was waiting for him.

A very happy camper indeed. and he uses the same taxi driver to do all his family's shopping, and take his family to the beach and all the rest. I have heard plenty of similar stoties from my friends on holidays that are satisfied customers.

Perhaps focusing more on the positives than negetives with these taxi drivers who IMO are just trying to make a living.

It wont make any difference at all if they put meters in Taxis. They will just increase the surchages exactly the same way they do in metered cabs from the airport. Meters just mean the owners of bigger companies will be able to see how much money the taxi drivers are making, and take a bigger slice. The cabbies will then refuse to turn the meters on and the cycle continues.

Your knowledge of taxis in Perth is very limited my friend!!!

• Like 1

Here's what happens when someone tries to move in on established turf. Even locals aren't immune to violence. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638636-illegal-taxi-drivers-beaten-at-phuket-airport/

Edited by steelepulse