Marine Dept Probes ' Sea-Walker' Tours In Phuket

webfact

Marine Dept probes 'sea-walker' tours
Janjira Pongrai
The Nation

PHUKET: -- Responding to reports of damage to coral and wildlife caused by an unauthorised undersea tourist attraction in Phuket, the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) will survey waters around Phuket's Koh Hae and Phang Nga's Koh Khai.

The move follows online criticism stemming from a Facebook user's post about Phuket's "sea-walker" tour. The post describes the 30-minute tour, in which customers don diving helmets to walk a six-metre-deep path and get the opportunity to be photographed holding starfish and corals. There are reportedly three operators of such tours on Koh Hae (Coral Island). Each operator has created undersea paths marked by buoys, where starfish and corals are handed out to some 100 visitors per day in exchange for an extra fee of several hundred baht for snapshots.

DMCR chief Withoon Chalayonnawin said he had despatched investigation teams after receiving complaints from wildlife conservationists two weeks ago about the Koh Heh and Koh Khai "sea-walker" tours. Withoon said he would inspect one of the sights in person today, as the tours were not licensed by any state agency, and could violate laws in place to protect starfish and corals.

A DMCR source said the agency was checking the Koh Hae "sea-walker" operator's claim that it had gained permission for the tour from the Tourist Business and Guide Registration Office under the Tourism and Sport Ministry prior to Phuket gaining protected-environment status in 2003. The agency was also checking whether damage to marine resources warranted a request to the Tourism Department and Phuket Governor to revoke any such permission. Each "sea-walker" operator could be fined up to Bt500,000 if it is found to be violating the law.

A "sea-walker" tour also operates on Chon Buri's Koh Lan.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-09

Don't hold your breath (no pun intended). These goons will simply question the companies, have their palms greased and all will be right with the world; apart from the sea-life which will continue to suffer at the hands of the corrupt officials. Last time I went diving in Thailand I vowed it was my last. There is simply bugger all to see due to illegal trawling.

Don't hold your breath (no pun intended). These goons will simply question the companies, have their palms greased and all will be right with the world; apart from the sea-life which will continue to suffer at the hands of the corrupt officials. Last time I went diving in Thailand I vowed it was my last. There is simply bugger all to see due to illegal trawling.

You are right, there is crap diving in Thailand and expensive. Please dont support the dive trips. They are some of the people causing problems in the diving areas. Who wants to look at an old car ferry ?? No turtles or Lionfish last time I went just bad vis and a few small fish. If you want some good diving go to Bali...Amed and Talumben.

With the Burmese coastal islands opening up, why bother with that bleached mess.

Have you ever been there ? I worked on a dive safari boat in Burma. On many occasions I had to relocate the boat as 'fisherman' were dynamiting the location I wanted to dive.

Well summed up Suffinator.

After many years of living in Thailand I have long held the opinion that NOTHING is illegal in LOS if the right people are being paid off.

• Like 1