Possible Change From Visa Exemption To Non B

I've been scouring the net to see if there is any recent advise on this matter.

I'm currently on visa exemption and just got a job. With paperwork taking a while I will have to leave the country again before I can get the proper paperwork to apply for a non B. My question: with 30 day visa exemption is it possible to change this into a non B visa in Bangkok without having to leave the country again? (I think it's possible with a tourist visa if you still have 21 days remaining).

I don't want to get a tourist visa as it would mean taking days off school (which I don't get paid for, thus I would fly to somewhere on a weekend and come back in with 30 days exemption and apply to change into a non B immediately).

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance :)

Amy

The immigration office cannot change a tourist visa to a non-B visa but you, respectively your employer, can apply for your work permit while you are in Thailand based on a visa-exempt arrival or a tourist visa. Once the work permit is ready you go to a Thai consulate with the receipt for the application for the work permit and all the necessary paperwork from the employer and get a single-entry non-B visa. Back in Thailand you pick up the work permit and now you are free to start working and get one-year extensions of stay for the reason of employment.

I came in on a 15 day visa exempt entry and Immigration changed that into a single entry Non-B visa, THEN my employer went to Labour to apply for my work permit, then having recieved it, we went back to Immigration to extend my Non-B until the end of the contract. Actual experience from last year.

It is sometimes possible and especially for a (government) school as the WP process doesn't take that long for them and they should be able to get a WP3 form in a few days. Often the WP process takes to long and it is better to first apply for the WP and get the WP3 receipt and then apply for a non-B visa abroad.

But a conversion to a non-B visa without a WP3 form confirming you have applied for the work permit seems strange.

The immigration office cannot change a tourist visa to a non-B visa but you, respectively your employer, can apply for your work permit while you are in Thailand based on a visa-exempt arrival or a tourist visa. Once the work permit is ready you go to a Thai consulate with the receipt for the application for the work permit and all the necessary paperwork from the employer and get a single-entry non-B visa. Back in Thailand you pick up the work permit and now you are free to start working and get one-year extensions of stay for the reason of employment.

That's what I did the first time when getting a non B in Thailand. Applied for the WP then went to Laos to get the Non B and afterwards got the WP. Back then I had a tourist visa and plenty of time, now my time on exemption is limited =/

I came in on a 15 day visa exempt entry and Immigration changed that into a single entry Non-B visa, THEN my employer went to Labour to apply for my work permit, then having recieved it, we went back to Immigration to extend my Non-B until the end of the contract. Actual experience from last year.

So you didn't have any application form from labour before getting a non B visa? (Lucky you)! Was that BKK immigration? So you never left the country again?

It is sometimes possible and especially for a (government) school as the WP process doesn't take that long for them and they should be able to get a WP3 form in a few days. Often the WP process takes to long and it is better to first apply for the WP and get the WP3 receipt and then apply for a non-B visa abroad.

But a conversion to a non-B visa without a WP3 form confirming you have applied for the work permit seems strange.

I'll be working for a private school but I think it's best to get the receipt and go to immigration, change to single non B and extend once I have the WP.

So in other words, it's possible to change exemption into a Non B in Bangkok without leaving and I don't need 21 days remaining on the exemption?

That would all depend upon how much stroke your employer (or their lawyer/agent) has with immigration (and the immigration office where done).

I wouldn't count on it happening.

For other conversions the normal rule now is 15 days not 21.

Edited by ubonjoe

Technically it should be possible, if you get the WP documents on time. But it is not done routinely, so try but don't be suprised if you need to go abroad. Most persons end up applying for a non-B abroad

21 days remaining is no longer required, less than 15 seems even to be accepted.