Aussie Arrested In Chiang Mai, Charged With Stealing Many Items

webfact

Aussie Arrested, Charged With Stealing Many Items

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai police arrested an Australian who had been charged with theft of various items, including a 200,000 Baht mountain bike.

Officers apprehended Mr.Ashley Keith, 25, Australian, suspect of numeral theft cases according to Chiang Mai Court warrant at Baan Thai Condominium in Nimmanhemin district, Chiangmai.

Pol.Maj.Prasong Nafan said they were able to retrieve a stolen mountain bike worth 200,000 baht, laptops, ipads, smartphones, cameras, wallets, credit cards, bank books; all in all 21 items were confiscated.

“On May 3rd, police received reports that the suspect had stolen a mountain bike from a citizen’s residence and was captured on camera. The footage showed a foreign man taking a bus to the house and stealing the bike. Later, the victim found the bike at Baan Thai Condominum, and quickly informed the police," he said.

Pol.Maj.Prasong said that when officers concluded from investigations that Mr.Ashley is the culprit, a warrant for arrest was issued. They were able to confiscate 21 stolen items in his residence, 11 of which have been reported missing at Changpuak police station and Poopingratchanivet police station.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNMk9EQTVPREV6TWc9PQ==&catid=04

-- KHAOSOD 2013-05-10

Good to see he is caught BUT when I had camera equipment stolen, some was recovered by the Thonglaw police in Bangkok. but the bloody police then stole it !!! When I went to collect 3 lenses worth 150,000 Baht they said they had lost all of them, This is why I dont have any respect for the law in Thailand and when they walk (Prance) out in front of my car I accelerate and let them jump out of the way (Never had any repercussions form doing this,"YET" funny how stupid they are as well)

Edited by newermonkey

Spending 200000 Baht on a bike is absolutely no problem. Check out any of the high end free ride/downhill bikes of big brands like Scott, Specialized, Kona, Giant etc!

They've got carbon frames (one square meter of carbon foil costs around 200-250 dollars), rear shocks that cost 600+, forks that cost easily 800 or more, basically there's the best parts money can buy on those bikes. Then there's the 40% import tax if he ordered a complete bike himself, only 27% if he ordered it in parts, plus shipping and a possible excise tax. If he bought the bike in Thailand then there's also the seller's fee.

200,000 baht for a mountain bike ? wow .... is it gold plated?

Silly boy. I guess daddy can stop sending the allowance as you will be getting free room and baord for a couple of years.

Looks like his daddy is in Maningrida.
Try as I might I don't get the Maningrida reference (yes I do know where Maningrida is) care to enlighten me?

Wonder what will happen to the ten items recovered, which hadn't been reported missing?

Good question, and I have the answer if you were in California. My home was burlarized. Three months later the Police called and asked me to come identify my items, if any, that they had. They took me to a 16' by 16' room that was still loaded with items like 21 jewelry boxes still full, etc. I identified about 15 items that were mine. They caught a guy, and I was the last of 61 families that had been called to identify their items. I asked them the question that you asked, "What happens to the rest of all these things"? Their answer was that if they were not claimed, then the Police could not prove it was stolen, and the crook would get to keep it as his own property. 3 months later the police called again. They asked me to come look at more items, which again some were mine. They had caught the same guy again, for more burglaries. I would have thought he would have been in prison. Apparently not.

• Like 1

Wonder what will happen to the ten items recovered, which hadn't been reported missing?

Good question, and I have the answer if you were in California. My home was burlarized. Three months later the Police called and asked me to come identify my items, if any, that they had. They took me to a 16' by 16' room that was still loaded with items like 21 jewelry boxes still full, etc. I identified about 15 items that were mine. They caught a guy, and I was the last of 61 families that had been called to identify their items. I asked them the question that you asked, "What happens to the rest of all these things"? Their answer was that if they were not claimed, then the Police could not prove it was stolen, and the crook would get to keep it as his own property. 3 months later the police called again. They asked me to come look at more items, which again some were mine. They had caught the same guy again, for more burglaries. I would have thought he would have been in prison. Apparently not.

Makes me crazy blink.png

This really annoys me - bloody crims coming over here to live the high life and steal from Thai and farang alike. If convicted, I hope they lock the scumbag away - and let him think long and hard about such actions in future - no matter where he is!

• Like 1

Silly boy. I guess daddy can stop sending the allowance as you will be getting free room and baord for a couple of years.

Looks like his daddy is in Maningrida.
Try as I might I don't get the Maningrida reference (yes I do know where Maningrida is) care to enlighten me?

Ditto. Nothing on google, so I've been searching the dusty corners of my memory for in-joke or political point's scored. But Nothing. Nada.

Nothing in the Australian news, so I guess the Australian Embassy have not even heard of it or could not give a <deleted>. Maybe turn up with a muffin and an orange juice, "how you doing cobber, we are right behind you and will see you at your trial in 5 yrs. Keep your chin up until then, and hope those muffins last.

I really hope more than that....

A good well-paid lawyer will see that isn't the case.

Like William Doobey, the Aussie who murdered the American in a restaurant along the moat and was sentenced to 2 1/2 years for murder.