Farang Female Married To Thai..."helping Him" With His Business

Hi All! Thanks for the help in advanced!

Me and my boyfriend are soon to be married. He is a Thai National, and I am an Australian citizen. Just a couple of questions:

1. To obtain a marriage visa, do I have to show proof of funds in my bank account? I have heard that the laws are different for foreign females and foreign males. Can you please point me towards the laws that govern this?

2. Once we are married, will I be able to help my husband with his business? He runs a small cafe. I would not be earning a salary. He has a private business, not a company. Has anyone had any experience with this? Can you please point me towards the laws that govern this?

3. Would I need a work permit to help my husband with his business (not a company)? If so, what would the financial requirement be for this? Can you please point me towards the laws that govern this? It is only a small business, and the whole capital thing sounds a bit scary! Can you please explain the 1 million baht capital required?

There's loads of info here about foreign men + thai wives...if there are any other farang female spouses out there, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers!

1. Your husband would be making the application for your extension and would not need to show income according to the rules but may be asked to show some amount of income.

2/3. You would need a work permit. Any work requires a work permit even if not paid for it. The only work you could do in the cafe would be as a manager or head chef for example. No table waiting would be allowed.

Is business registered as a sole proprietor? You can get a work permit for this since you would be married to a Thai.

Registered capital is done when company is formed or can be raised later if needed. It does not mean it has to be in the bank. It can be assets, furniture, equipment and etc.

Thanks for your response UbonJoe!

Is business registered as a sole proprietor? You can get a work permit for this since you would be married to a Thai.

Where can I find more info on the sole proprietor aspect? Does this mean that my husband would not need to show the 1 million capital?

Thanks!

Hi, I can't find where I found the information because I'm using a tablet, but I did read an official government page about having a Thai husband. We were also given a lot of hard to read paperwork when we asked for it at immigration. Anyway, I'm in the same situation. I did not need any proof of income, nor did my husband. We did bring his tax stuff, bank book and business certificate to show, but they didn't ask to see any of it. I don't need a work permit to work in his business with him. I am not allowed to handle money and I still can't do a forbidden job. It is also fairly easy to get a Thai passport as a foreign woman.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Lots of different rules that apply to being the Farang Wife.. as opposed to being the Farang Husband which probably 95% of threads on the subject relate to.. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable Moderators here that will be able to give the best advice in your circumstances, they will be along soon, I am sure.

You actually have many more rights that us mere Farang Husbands.

• Like 2

They have been trying to modernise some of these laws and regulations to minimize the differences between foreign men and foreign women with Thai spouses because 1) the 2007 constitution and the 1997 one before it prohibits discrimination on grounds of gender and 2) women's groups have complained about certain issues where they see Thai women being discriminated against because their foreign spouses have less rights than the foreign spouses of Thai men. So a lot of the laws and regulations that used to specify different conditions for foreign spouses on grounds of gender have now neutralised the language and refer to spouse rather than husband or wife.

You can get NON-IMM O visa extensions based on marriage but, as a couple or individually, you will have to show either income or cash. I don't know if there is any discount off the Bt 40k income or Bt 400k cash that males have to show.

Re work permits. These regulations refer to spouses only regardless of gender and in the 2011 regulations there is only one concession left for foreigners with Thai spouses. That is that registered capital is discounted from Bt 2 million to 1 million. The previous concession in the 2004 regulations that only 2 Thai employees were required instead of 4 is now gone. Sole proprietorships are technically permitted to hire foreign workers and obtain work permits for them. However I think they still need to show that there is Bt 1 million capital in the business. It might be easier to get a work permit by restructuring the business as a limited company or a registered partnership in order to satisfy the capital requirement. The capital doesn't need to be frozen in place once it is registered and paid up. The business will need to complete the section in the forms where it justifies hiring the foreigner on grounds of her qualifications and explains why it cannot find a Thai to do the job. But you need to submit a copy of your marriage certificate and the local Labour office is able to use a lot of discretion on things like qualifications and number of Thai employees which is not fixed in stone can vary a lot from place to place. The capital requirement is less flexible because it is very clearly enshrined in the regulations. The best thing is to go down to your local Labour office and enquire about their requirements.

The good news is that it is still easier for women with Thai husbands to obtain Thai nationality than the other way round, since foreign women apply to adopt the Thai nationality of their husbands under Section 9 of the Nationality Act, rather than applying for naturalisation under Section 10, as all males have to. You don't need to have a job or work permit to apply. Your husband needs to show income and tax receipts but I think it is only Bt 15,000 a month whereas males with Thai wives have to show Bt 40,000 from their own employment. Once you have been married for 3 years you can apply - only one year if you have a child together. You need to get on a tabien baan to qualify, normally a yellow book for foreigners who aren't permanent residents. No need for spouses to sing the National and Royal Anthems and a foreign wife can get away with less than perfect Thai but should be able to speak and understand to a reasonable level, so they can get an impression of your suitability for Thai citizenship which is up to the minister's discretion and not an absolute right. It takes quite a few years these days but it is worth the wait and the total fees are minimal. You have to apply to Special Branch in the province where you live or Special Branch at National Police HQ, if you live in Bkk.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 2

clap2.gif

There's loads of info here about foreign men + thai wives...if there are any other farang female spouses out there, I'd love to hear from you!

There is a topic on this forum called "Ladies in Thailand" and some forum members are married to Thai husbands also.

So go to that topic and introduce yourself to talk to some Farang women who are married to Thai men.

I may be wrong, but I believe one of the moderators of that topic is also a female.

Anyhow, go to that topic and introduce yourself.

Welcome to Thailand.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1