Connecting To Grid

mikeinkamala

Wondering if anyone on TV has recent knowledge or experience of the Electricity Company's policies regarding getting hooked up to the grid?

Many years ago, I was advised of the necessity to purchase a transformer where a) there was no single phase supply adjacent to the property ie only 3 phase available or B) the supply was for a development of more than 5 or 6 new properties.

However, local observation and comment would suggest only farang 'owners' have been required to purchase transformers for individual properties, even where single phase cables are available.

Transformers are very expensive and I would obviously prefer not to purchase same simply to line pockets or increase company profitability.

Would really appreciate receiving advice or comment from anyone with relevant knowledge, prior to making a formal application

We could get onto the topic of sliding a brown envelope with some tea money inside to get them out immediately but that would bring out the moral police of this forum.

I was told I could not get a home landline at all, no numbers available but i offered 10k to find me one and I had the phone on with a very nice number 3 days later.

I suggest you do the same. You might even get the luxury of being offered a rorted meter.

I have friends paying a fraction of my electric bill.

Offer cash and anything is possible.

Much would depend on whether a private home or a commercial enterprise. Also what transformers are already available on public access. Also you would need a good Thai talker to enquire at the Electric Company Offices. Always understate your expected electric requirements. I would say there is no rule of thumb other than if the Electric Co can smell money then a transformer is required.

• Like 1

We could get onto the topic of sliding a brown envelope with some tea money inside to get them out immediately but that would bring out the moral police of this forum.

I was told I could not get a home landline at all, no numbers available but i offered 10k to find me one and I had the phone on with a very nice number 3 days later.

I suggest you do the same. You might even get the luxury of being offered a rorted meter.

So basically you are the one who makes the life expensive for us others living here.

Pavlov's dogs do follow the bell.

I think yes, six houses WITH tabien ban all wanting to be hooked up. You can have them run quite a way from the end of the nearest existing 220 volt line to where you are, if that's possible. If you are kilometers from 220 volt lines and other houses you have to buy the transformer. As soon as you do, you may get some neighbors building near to your property to enjoy the electricity. They might be expected to pay a share of the transformer as they moved in, but it will never happen, I think. If your electric meter is more than 20 meters from your property line you will pay on the order of 5 baht a kilowatt hour as opposed to 3 baht. (In that approximate ratio.) A transformer is not cheap, but I would advise against dedicating your life to babysitting a solar system or generator system. Bite the bullet, you only pay once.

So basically you are the one who makes the life expensive for us others living here.

The one?

I just a grain in a bucket of sand.

right you are! my Mrs complains quite often that groceries have become again more expensive because some people paid to get a phone line.