Happy Being The Farang

muythai2013

We never pretended to be anything else than farang.

That's the constant reminder that gets tedious.

In our home country we don't constantly remind Thai immigrants they are not from there.

Why do we have to put up with it?

You don't have to, you choose to, if you choose not to, exercise your other options.

In our home country we don't constantly remind Thai immigrants they are not from there.

you dont have to put up with it, however in what way are you constantly reminded that you are a farang, by being called a farang.

Should they stop being thai and change their language, because farang is simply the word they use.

The only way someone can remind you is if you have forgotten.

I don,t walk round the UK constantly pointing out Black, Polish, indian, Inuit, to every other Uk citizen I meet.

If you did, you wouldn't have time to do anything else.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like they say "Don't sweat the small stuff". I have been here quite a while and I have noted that the normal Thai ability to bounce back from rudeness from Farangs seems to be wearing thin. Maybe it is the large influx of boorish rude Russians, I don't know. I know I wince at some of what they do.

I taught myself a decent amount of Thai. I have to laugh at my American friends who complain about immigrants to USA who "won't even learn English!" "Oh, and do you speak Thai?" of course they don't, think they don't have to.

Seems if you make the effort to learn to communicate, don't hold all Thais personally responsible for everything that isn't like "back home" and put a touch of humor into living here, things will be just fine.

Compare the +'s and the -'s. If +>-, stay. If not, move on. Or shut the hell up.

• Like 2

I cannot believe this thread keeps appearing....it is so ridiculous....get a grip, only weak and easily offended people would be that bothered about this....you are in a foreign country, they don't have to abide by YOUR values etc.......

You are very naive, ignorant and shallow. You simply do not grasp the problems associated with you being an object.

Let me guess, you are 19 years old, and have visited Thailand in total of 2 months, and you love to party in the bars all the time, of course it is funny to be "farang".

However, when you are turning 40, and have been here for many years, you will hopefully begin to see connections between how Thais sometimes treats foreigners, that is, not always in a good way. Sure it can happen anyway, but it do happen alot more because the constant notion is us being an object, rather than human

Edited by ayayay
  • Like 2

"In our home country we don't constantly remind Thai immigrants they are not from there."

I have Asian friends in the US, who are second or third generation Americans, who speak with fluent Americanese and who are often asked, "Where do you come from?"

And how often on TV is someone described as British or Swedish or whatever and after seeing his name the TV crowd announces, that name isn't really British or Swedish or whatever, or "He certainly doesn't look British!!" ... even though the person in question apparently has a passport from that country.

Edited by Suradit69

whistling.gif Well, I was born in the U.S. but I haven't lived there more than a few short visits for 40 tears at least.

The fact that I was born there does not make me an American.

I am retired and a long term resident of Bangkok, but that does not a Thai.

I have worked and lived in a number of countries around the world before I retired but I am not a them.

I am a me....I have my own personality.....and what others call me is irrelevant.

So I don't pay that much attention to what others call me or refer to me as.

I know who I am, and I am my own person ... a me.

I'll always be a me, sufficient unto myself and willing to answer for my actions.

I hope to always be that same me until I pass away.

That stays the same, if I happen too be in Bangkok, or temporarily in Vietnam like now.

Wherever I am, whatever someone calls me, I'm still really only a me.

whistling.gif

I don't care what they call me. It is the way they say it that matters. We Aussies have a tendency to call each other all sorts of nasty names; eg lucky bxxxxxx, silly pr*ck, mad cxxx. Said with a smile in your voice, and in your eyes, it is just playful.

Edited by DoctorG
  • Like 1

"In our home country we don't constantly remind Thai immigrants they are not from there."

I have Asian friends in the US, who are second or third generation Americans, who speak with fluent Americanese and who are often asked, "Where do you come from?"

But the HUGE DIFFERENCE, is that when we get to know this asian looking person, and understands he has the same background as the rest of the americans, listening to the same music, referring to the same tv shows, etc, he no longer is asian. He becomes a person, he becomes an american, rather than just "asian". A good example can be bassist John Myung from Dream Theater http://www.dreamtheater.net/board_posts/artist-bio, he sure looks asian, but do the rest of the band think of him being another race/nationality all daylong? Nope. He is American.
  • Like 1

Like they say "Don't sweat the small stuff". I have been here quite a while and I have noted that the normal Thai ability to bounce back from rudeness from Farangs seems to be wearing thin. Maybe it is the large influx of boorish rude Russians, I don't know. I know I wince at some of what they do. I taught myself a decent amount of Thai. I have to laugh at my American friends who complain about immigrants to USA who "won't even learn English!" "Oh, and do you speak Thai?" of course they don't, think they don't have to. Seems if you make the effort to learn to communicate, don't hold all Thais personally responsible for everything that isn't like "back home" and put a touch of humor into living here, things will be just fine. Compare the +'s and the -'s. If +>-, stay. If not, move on. Or shut the hell up.

Some of us have ties/families/jobs/obligations here.

What's wrong in trying to better the place we live in?

Plus if your rule (if you don't like leave) applies to this topic, you don't have

a/ to read it

b/ to write in it

• Like 2

Like they say "Don't sweat the small stuff". I have been here quite a while and I have noted that the normal Thai ability to bounce back from rudeness from Farangs seems to be wearing thin. Maybe it is the large influx of boorish rude Russians, I don't know. I know I wince at some of what they do. I taught myself a decent amount of Thai. I have to laugh at my American friends who complain about immigrants to USA who "won't even learn English!" "Oh, and do you speak Thai?" of course they don't, think they don't have to. Seems if you make the effort to learn to communicate, don't hold all Thais personally responsible for everything that isn't like "back home" and put a touch of humor into living here, things will be just fine. Compare the +'s and the -'s. If +>-, stay. If not, move on. Or shut the hell up.

Plus if your rule (if you don't like leave) applies to this topic, you don't have

a/ to read it

b/ to write in it

Well Kitsune the real thing is this:

This is TVF and the object it to get as many posts in as possible.

The quick way to achieve that objective is by a troll type post to wind a few folk up.

BINGO, loads of replies are then possible and the number count rises and gives the poster a sense of power and glory.

Another way is to "Quote" someone else's post and add +1 rather than apply a like.

Some even put + more than 1...... and they impress me no end.

Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you...

a/ to read it

b/ to write in it

Well Kitsune the real thing is this:

This is TVF and the object it to get as many posts in as possible.

The quick way to achieve that objective is by a troll type post to wind a few folk up.

BINGO, loads of replies are then possible and the number count rises and gives the poster a sense of power and glory.

Another way is to "Quote" someone else's post and add +1 rather than apply a like.

Some even put + more than 1...... and they impress me no end.

Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you...

I'm sorry I have offended you.

I am not trying to wind up anyone

My posts are only reflecting TV posters' opinion and you can do a search on "Farang" here and you will find many topics on the subjects.

I cannot believe this thread keeps appearing....it is so ridiculous....get a grip, only weak and easily offended people would be that bothered about this....you are in a foreign country, they don't have to abide by YOUR values etc.......

You are very naive, ignorant and shallow. You simply do not grasp the problems associated with you being an object.

Let me guess, you are 19 years old, and have visited Thailand in total of 2 months, and you love to party in the bars all the time, of course it is funny to be "farang".

However, when you are turning 40, and have been here for many years, you will hopefully begin to see connections between how Thais sometimes treats foreigners, that is, not always in a good way. Sure it can happen anyway, but it do happen alot more because the constant notion is us being an object, rather than human

Ok perhaps the poor, oppressed, downtrodden among you can give us a few examples of how they've been treated badly by the Thais.

Edited by HardenedSoul
  • Like 1

Ok perhaps the poor, oppressed, downtrodden among you can give us a few examples of how they've been treated badly by the Thais.

Good point in theory but giving examples here is a can of worms unfortunately

• Like 1

I am from the UK and I am not a farang. I am either <my_name> or the Englishman or the European. And if I *am* a farang, Thais must be Keks (dark-skinned inferior member of the species fit only for manual labour).

How can a Thai be a kaek in their own country?

Do you know what kaek means in Thai?

By all means feel free to call them a keak in Farangland.

As a visitor to Thailand you are also a kaek.

I'm thinking for you and me, farang would be an improvement on what we were often called in our home countries.

Being called a name because my skin color is different to those around me is not something I ever accepted, nor got used to.

I hear about, and read, on a daily basis, of foreigner who are getting ripped off here and there, very often by their girlfriend/wife, but also in regular business relationships, how can you have missed that?

If I gave it any really thought, the only part of being called 'farang' that might bother me is that they are associating me with the French (farangseet) -- if you ran into any Western male a hundred years ago in SE Asia, he was almost certainly French which is at least one theory on where the word originates.

But the HUGE DIFFERENCE, is that when we get to know this asian looking person, and understands he has the same background as the rest of the americans, listening to the same music, referring to the same tv shows, etc, he no longer is asian. He becomes a person, he becomes an american, rather than just "asian". A good example can be bassist John Myung from Dream Theater http://www.dreamtheater.net/board_posts/artist-bio, he sure looks asian, but do the rest of the band think of him being another race/nationality all daylong? Nope. He is American.

I would say the answer is in your first statement

But the HUGE DIFFERENCE, is that when we get to know this asian looking

person, and understands he has the same background as the rest of the

americans, listening to the same music, referring to the same tv shows,

etc, he no longer is asian.

As long as they don't call me late for dinner, I don't worry what they call me.

Falang, Farang, Loong, Loong-Lang... interesting variations of my real name... whatever.

As long as they are happy to see me.

• Like 1

I hear about, and read, on a daily basis, of foreigner who are getting ripped off here and there, very often by their girlfriend/wife, but also in regular business relationships, how can you have missed that?

You've read??!!

You've heard??!!

Jesus, what is wrong with you people?

Calm down, yes, there are many foreigners who are getting treated badly, do I say that every one of them would have not being ripped off or scammed, had they not being referred to as an object (that is Farang), hell no!

But do I see a clear connection between the constant need to refer to us as "farang", rather than humans, and many problems we face here on a daily basis, hell yes!!

Edited by ayayay

If I gave it any really thought, the only part of being called 'farang' that might bother me is that they are associating me with the French (farangseet) -- if you ran into any Western male a hundred years ago in SE Asia, he was almost certainly French which is at least one theory on where the word originates.

that one wouldn't bother me either - being part French.biggrin.png

You've read??!!

You've heard??!!

Calm down, yes, there are many foreigners who are getting treated badly, do I say that every one of them would have not being ripped off or scammed, had they not being referred to as an object (that is Farang), hell no!

But do I see a clear connection between the constant need to refer to us as "farang", rather than humans, and many problems we face here on a daily basis, hell yes!!

I think I would prefer "farang" to "manut" (Thai for human).

You've read??!!

You've heard??!!

I think I would prefer "farang" to "manut" (Thai for human).

I'm thinking 'manut' is person as in 'intelligent being' and not necessarily human.

As 'manut tang dow' would be 'person from another star'. I watch too many sci-fi films with Thai subs.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican