Happy Being The Farang

muythai2013

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never pretended to be anything else than farang.

That's the constant reminder that gets tedious.

In our home country we don't constantly remind Thai immigrants they are not from there.

Why do we have to put up with it?

I'm also not happy the way farang is treated in Thailand, but you don't need to put up with it if you don't want.

You can leave at any given time.

• Like 1

In our home country we don't constantly remind Thai immigrants they are not from there.

you dont have to put up with it, however in what way are you constantly reminded that you are a farang, by being called a farang.

Should they stop being thai and change their language, because farang is simply the word they use.

The only way someone can remind you is if you have forgotten.

• Like 1

Why is the "Thainess" topic always in the top ten on this forum? Who gives a flip if you are enjoying yourself. If you are not, then go somewhere else. No need to re-hash the same topic over and over and over again.

• Like 2

Just be who you are.

Be the 'farang', no worries....don't be the ATM, the Buffalo doctor etc..

Retain your common sense.

While these sound like old expat cliches, there are a lot of lessons to be learned therein dear friend.

If she wanted money she married the wrong man,lol.

I got nothing, They have more then me, and If I did have it I'm as tight as hell.

As long as we are happy and kids are healthy were good.

I think that it doesn't matter what country you are in,if it isn't your native country then your will always be the foreigner !!!

I have lived in The Netherlands for 13 years,I speak Dutch,eat Dutch and live Dutch but am and always will be Shaggy the Englishman to them. (and rightly so)

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people call you or think of you,if you are happy with your life,have people that love you and you have good health.... then nothing else matters.

Same for me after 40 years a Swiss citizen and getting to the stage where I criticised the increasingly low standards of spoken dialect. I took a strong part in local and cultural life and was always 'Dr Englaender'.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

you dont have to put up with it, however in what way are you constantly reminded that you are a farang, by being called a farang.

Should they stop being thai and change their language, because farang is simply the word they use.

I would be glad to be a person just a lambda human being.

Why the need to remind me and everyone else that I am not from here every time they address me?

I think that it doesn't matter what country you are in,if it isn't your native country then your will always be the foreigner !!!

I have lived in The Netherlands for 13 years,I speak Dutch,eat Dutch and live Dutch but am and always will be Shaggy the Englishman to them. (and rightly so)

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people call you or think of you,if you are happy with your life,have people that love you and you have good health.... then nothing else matters.

Yes sure but do they address/refer to you as such and make sure they mention you foreign status in every sentence ?

• Like 1

Yes sure but do they address/refer to you as such and make sure they mention you foreign status in every sentence ?

No they don't mention my foreign status in every sentence.......probably because I can understand everything that they are saying.

Why the need to remind me and everyone else that I am not from here every time they address me?

do you really think thats what they are intending when they say farang, of coarse they are not.

Seriously,if you're really that bothered you have other issues!

And very very predictably here comes Eesat with a negative off topic comment as always.

And on that note it's easy to see who has issues mr I'm gonna attack every second post on TV.

• Like 1

I don,t walk round the UK constantly pointing out Black, Polish, indian, Inuit, to every other Uk citizen I meet.

No they don't mention my foreign status in every sentence.......probably because I can understand everything that they are saying.

Try it pretending you don,t know Thai.

A friend had a taxi drive into the back of him, they difn,t know he coukd speak Thai, they all kept saying why shoukd he worry Farang got money he can pay for it.

I don,t walk round the UK constantly pointing out Black, Polish, indian, Inuit, to every other Uk citizen I meet.

I can understand why....it would be too time consuming !!!! whistling.gif

• Like 1

A friend had a taxi drive into the back of him, they difn,t know he coukd speak Thai, they all kept saying why shoukd he worry Farang got money he can pay for it.

Indeed...but then drop the fact that you've understood every word on them like a ton of bricks when it comes to the crunch....

Never fails.

• Like 2

I hope that your friend shot them down in Thai (verbally i mean)

do you really think thats what they are intending when they say farang, of coarse they are not.

Farang means the white face from abroad, ie you are not from here, ie not entitled to Thai nationas priviledges.

It does not mean Welcome to Thailand, you are different but I'll treat you the same as everyone

• Like 1

I'm also not happy the way farang is treated in Thailand, but you don't need to put up with it if you don't want.

You can leave at any given time.

Oh goodie the "TV if you don't like it here, you should leave brigade" is back

I've missed you !