Thai Democrats Led By Abhisit To Discuss Reforms

webfact

Democrats to discuss reforms
Somroutai Sapsomboon,
Prapasri Osathanon
The Nation

Nineteen execs led by Abhisit to debate blueprint and decide on next course of action

BANGKOK: -- The opposition Democrat Party's executive board meets today to discuss reforming the 67-year-old political institution amidst calls for change from both within and outside.

A blueprint for reform will be put for the board's consideration by deputy party leader Alongkorn Ponlaboot, who has proposed changes in three major areas - structure, management, and culture and personnel. His proposal came following the Democrats' repeated failure to win any general elections for the past two decades.

Political observers and some Democrats agree that although a reform is necessary, what the party has to do urgently is to mobilise its many efficient politicians and members to get more involved in running and improving the party.

Nineteen Democrats on the executive board, led by party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, will meet this morning to debate the course of action.

Alongkorn said he would propose the reform blueprint to the meeting. Regarding structural reform, the blueprint calls for establishment of new units, such as offices for research and development, for branch and member affairs, and for Democrat youth and women's affairs, according to Alongkorn, who is deputy party leader for the Central region. The blueprint also calls for structural changes to the party's regional offices, with more branches to be set up in the provinces.

He said professional managers would be hired to help with the reform efforts to improve the management within the party. And the party's culture would be adapted to become more in line with the current situation.

"I will ask the executives at the meeting whether they agree with the blueprint. If they do, the party regulations must be amended to comply with [proposed changes in] the blueprint," Alongkorn said. He added that after the approval from the executive board, reforms could go ahead immediately once all the necessary procedures are completed within 90 days.

The Democrat Party was founded on April 6, 1946, and it is the oldest surviving political party in Thailand and Southeast Asia.

However, not all Democrats agree on the need for extensive reform. A party MP, who requested anonymity, said that it was necessary to mobilise other efficient people in the party - and not just a group of people close to the executives - to work in different areas.

"Structural reform is a big issue. What should be done is to deal with the management matter. Now only a group of people have roles in all areas," the MP said.

Another Democrat MP agreed, saying the reform should focus on giving roles to party colleagues who are not in the executive board so that they can help.

Sasin Chalermlarp, secretary-general of the Sueb Nakasathien Foundation, said that the Democrat Party actually needs a reform. But it must first mobilise its people to help reduce the executive board's workload.

"The Democrat Party has many efficient people. These people have to work more for the party. With this, the party will not need much money for reforms," he said. "I am not a Democrat Party supporter and I have never voted for the Pheu Thai Party. I often marked the 'No vote' box."

Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai said he wished the proposed Democrat reforms would go ahead so "political quality will be improved, which would benefit the country's democratic development". He said the Democrat Party had many knowledgeable and capable people, but they needed more unity between the younger and older politicians within the party.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-13

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would hope that a more modern out come for the Dems, It's all to easy to get stuck in a rut, we all know that one, the party needs to get to the people , whether rice farms are to get rebates for power , water , gas , maybe fuel rebates for bus , taxi and truckers, (Note: no subsidies) with good governance these can be done without corruption, there's a whole load of incentives that can be done, education, policing policies need a overhaul, pull in some advisers from out of Thailand HK or Sing if they want to stay Asian, get some guidance for the next two decades and Plan.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Not having someone who ordered the death of many civilians as their leader would help them a lot!

Why? It worked for Thaksin.

Back on topic, its good to see this introspection by the Dems and hopefully it will highlight any weakness in their organisational philosophy and they will have the strength to make the necessary changes. After all they have a disadvantage to the PTP because the Dems have the whole Thai population as their target group and shareholders while the PTP has only one man.

Edited by waza

I guess not having a murderer as their leader would help them a lot!

It's lucky they don't then, isn't it.

Sent from my Phone.

Technically Thailand does. Even though he lives in Dubai he is the one who authorized and paid for the terrorist movement in 2010.

Every one knows that even Rich teacher knows that.

• Like 2

I think there is a lot here inn what they say

"Political observers and some Democrats agree that although a reform is
necessary, what the party has to do urgently is to mobilise its many
efficient politicians and members to get more involved in running and
improving the party
."

Makes no difference how good you are if you are not getting involved in it you are not going to be that much help.

"The Democrat Party was founded on April 6, 1946, and it is the oldest surviving political party in Thailand and Southeast Asia."

Not a bad win/loss record. They don't seem too concerned. Wonder why.

Unless they change their name and get all brand new members, reform won't make much difference. They're still going to be the Democrat Party.

But, they got 1/3 of the vote in the last election, and a survey showed that most people preferred their policies, so IMO they don't need much reform. They just need some patience. They're not going to win the next election the way things are going, although I don't think PTP will get as many votes as 2011.

Unless they change their name and get all brand new members, reform won't make much difference. They're still going to be the Democrat Party.

But, they got 1/3 of the vote in the last election, and a survey showed that most people preferred their policies, so IMO they don't need much reform. They just need some patience. They're not going to win the next election the way things are going, although I don't think PTP will get as many votes as 2011.

PTP will self destruct before the next election, it lacks leadership.

• Like 1

I think a puppet PM, an overseas PM and a PM in the wings is plenty of leadership. But they do need to be given the chance to self destruct. Otherwise it will be Groundhog Day.

I think a puppet PM, an overseas PM and a PM in the wings is plenty of leadership. But they do need to be given the chance to self destruct. Otherwise it will be Groundhog Day.

Ok effective leadership

I agree.

There are just too many leaders on PTP Island.

I agree.

There are just too many leaders on PTP Island.

but none with any leadership skills.

I don't often laugh out loud at posts on Thai Visa, but I did on this occasion.

"Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai said he wished the proposed Democrat reforms would go ahead so "political quality will be improved, which would benefit the country's democratic development". "

This is saying a lot which sound nice but has no real meaning. I assume that in a related development the PT Secretary-General has voiced the wish his party would also get a wee bit more democratic?

Unless they change their name and get all brand new members, reform won't make much difference.  They're still going to be the Democrat Party.

But, they got 1/3 of the vote in the last election, and a survey showed that most people preferred their policies, so IMO they don't need much reform.  They just need some patience.  They're not going to win the next election the way things are going, although I don't think PTP will get as many votes as 2011.

That's nice.

Sent from my Phone.

• Like 1

Hey come on Jboy, most of bother's posts are laughable!

I agree they more than likely will not win the next election.

How ever if they do nothing the PTP will still lose votes. They will no longer be in a position where they can ignore Thailand in their single minded drive to get a white wash job on their leader. They will have to depend on other parties to give them support.

All ready they are loosing support. Look at the bath they took in Bangkok. Red shirts are starting to disagree with each other. Look what happened last week in Yasothon. A they got together a group of red shirts for the express purpose of disrupting the Dem's rally and part of them refused to do it. How many People did they get last week for there predicted 100,000 people rally.

Of course a lot can happen in two years they can get worse (not sure how) or they can get better. But I don't think they have any intention of changing their stand. In other words they are on a slow down hill slide and don't even realize it. In two years time the people might rise up against them because they are tired of hearing Thaksin all the time and would rather buy needed commodities at a decent price than listen to Thaksin.

Much as I dislike them I hope they get there head out of their ass and start to govern in a responsible manner. That would guarantee them a reelection. But the dum dum's still think that pie in the sky promises is all they need.

They will win the next election but they will be in a very week position. Much like Abhist found himself in.

This will be the time for the Dems to have there act together and every one doing there job.

• Like 1

Not having someone who ordered the death of many civilians as their leader would help them a lot!

Stay on topic, this is not about thaksin and his war on drugs, neither is it about a doctored tape from April 2009.

How ever if they do nothing the PTP will still lose votes. They will no longer be in a position where they can ignore Thailand in their single minded drive to get a white wash job on their leader. They will have to depend on other parties to give them support.

All ready they are loosing support. Look at the bath they took in Bangkok. Red shirts are starting to disagree with each other. Look what happened last week in Yasothon. A they got together a group of red shirts for the express purpose of disrupting the Dem's rally and part of them refused to do it. How many People did they get last week for there predicted 100,000 people rally.

Of course a lot can happen in two years they can get worse (not sure how) or they can get better. But I don't think they have any intention of changing their stand. In other words they are on a slow down hill slide and don't even realize it. In two years time the people might rise up against them because they are tired of hearing Thaksin all the time and would rather buy needed commodities at a decent price than listen to Thaksin.

Much as I dislike them I hope they get there head out of their ass and start to govern in a responsible manner. That would guarantee them a reelection. But the dum dum's still think that pie in the sky promises is all they need.

They will win the next election but they will be in a very week position. Much like Abhist found himself in.

This will be the time for the Dems to have there act together and every one doing there job.

When you're not going all LSD when commenting about Muslims you can make some fine points.

When you're not going all LSD when commenting about Muslims you can make some fine points.

I wish I was wrong on those Muslim points.

Here is a chance for the Dems to improve their public image. If I remember correctly under Abhist they were making progress. Some of the restrictions had been lifted and the army was working with the everyday run of the mill citizen to help them improve their life. There was militant action but it was not on a basis the size of what we see today. It is getting so bad now that it won't even be news worthy just run of the mill life in Thailand. Much the same as road rage in North America

The Democrats could make a huge difference if they would take a sensible stand on it and make it an issue. As is they are making noise about Thaksinites continual drive to take steps to dictatorship as they should be. But as was said they have members who are not putting in there full share. Here is one area they could vastly improve their image in. Keep the atrocities in the light and the fumbling plan of the month from the PT make it as big a point as the PT has in bringing Thaksin back. Ending that would be far more valuable to the country than bringing back a man who threw dynamite into an already burning fire.

Dem reform : "Just be patient. Eventually we'll be the lesser of two evils."

Yingluck returns home from a shopping trip abroad to find a tank parked up in the drive, and the locks have been changed.

• Like 1

Yingluck returns home from a shopping trip abroad to find a tank parked up in the drive, and the locks have been changed.

More likely to come home to find her sister wedged in the doorway of her house.

• Like 2

Outstanding. Lololo

Outstanding. Lololo

Sorry, I'm having a blond moment . . . why is this funny?