Why Is It So Damned Hard To Get Staff?

raro

I'm trying for two months now to find sales staff for my new venture. Tried jobbees, classifieds, Foodland post wall, friends of friends networks, all in vain.

Whomever I talk to, reports the same problem. No staff to be found. Never had such a problem before...

Any idea what other route to try?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hearing there is zero unemployment in Bangkok!! Friends are struggling to find sales staff for their ventures.

Also waitresses seem to be in short supply!

That said sales staff were treated quite cruelly in the recession as hardly anyone wanted to give any basic - I guess a fair few have gone in to other avenues of work.

What is the venture?

Edited by 2unique

Perhaps Thailand needs to re-examine the list of occupations that must be filled by Thais. With less than 1% unemployment nationwide, this is only going to become more of a problem as the Thai economy continues to grow.

• Like 2

Well, the salary (commissions) would be very good and growing over time with repeat customers.

Our market is predominantly Thai, so for this reason only a Thai person would be more suitable than a foreigner, work permit issues being the ultimate deal breaker.

Maybe try an announcement in the umpteen game shops and snooker halls in East Pattaya. Not sure if it gonna have a result, but for sure you reach a lot of people that are not employed. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The staff problem will never go away for a farang. I recommend that you try the Burmese again. I finally closed my last business because of no staff. They bail quick and easy. This is not a friendly country for a farang to be running a business.

• Like 1

Perhaps Thailand needs to re-examine the list of occupations that must be filled by Thais. With less than 1% unemployment nationwide, this is only going to become more of a problem as the Thai economy continues to grow. 

Less than 1% unemployment? Their measurement must be faulty.

Whatever the employment figure is, the under employment rate must be thru the roof.

Less than 1% unemployment? Their measurement must be faulty.

Whatever the employment figure is, the under employment rate must be thru the roof.

Well, I read it on the internet, so it must be true. whistling.gif

http://economic-outlook.realclearworld.com/q/5529/8079/What-will-the-2013-Unemployment-rate-for-Thailand-be

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/country-list/unemployment-rate

http://www.stockmarkettodayblog.com/2013/05/03/thai-agency-said-thailand-unemployment-rate-rose-slightly-in-2013.html

My thai girlfriend had the opposite problem she found it very hard to get work. She is young, attractive speaks perfect english but still had problems. Employers seem to want experience, or big money up front (from the employee) or a thai guarantor.

Well, the salary (commissions) would be very good and growing over time with repeat customers.

Our market is predominantly Thai, so for this reason only a Thai person would be more suitable than a foreigner, work permit issues being the ultimate deal breaker.

Is this a commission only job or are you paying a salary? Of course they can make good money with commissions, but that's never guaranteed. You may need to provide a more compelling base salary...

I have the exact same problem for the last few months. I pay an excellent salary + commission, but nobody seems interested.

I am just about to advertise for staff on the local radio to see if that helps. Maybe you could try the same?

• Like 1

Yeah, I've heard this story so many times. In Pattaya, for example, restaurants etc can't get or retain staff for long because many of the younger ones go off to become hookers or money boys in the high season. One day they just don't turn up for work and instead just languish in bars playing games on their mobile phones or having a laugh with their fellow hookers. And then there are farangs who say how they have to become hookers because they are so poor and can't find work. No, it's because they don't want to work in real jobs. Ok so there is a difference in pay, but that's another story.

We employ no less than 50 Burmese because of this problem. We go through the whole process of doing their work visa's and to be honest, they tend to work a lot better than Thai for the same amount of money.

Once 2015 rolls around and this ASEAN agreement comes into effect, you will see unemployment gradually rise in Thailand. When it happens, staff retention will be a lot easier.

• Like 1

I have noticed that many Thais do not want to be tied down to a 8-10 hour job. They want to have a break once in awhile. Also when they are being paid 200-300 baht for a day's work, they feel they can quit and go some place else and get the same pay (with a break between jobs). Many factories in Rayong are having the same problem holding on to their workers and their benefits are good compared to other places. I feel businesses that really want to hold on to good staff need to give them higher wages in order to stay, commission if they are in sales, and proper training. Overall, it is a different attitude towards jobs here than in the West. For example, if you are content frying noodles making enough to survive on -but you are HAPPY- why change jobs? In the West, it seems we always want to make more money but we turn around and get ourselves in debt and have less time to enjoy and not happy.

It's not just a desire to make more money in the west, it's also about the work ethic. We are raised to try to improve our lives, to be ambitious and change things for our benefit and that of our families. It is taboo to sit back and just let things happen. It is also about being happy (or rather at least not be sad) but in a different way to Thais (but not Thai Chinese). Financial security for ourselves and our family is also a major desire in the west, but Thais often don't think about that as they have a 'now' philosophy. A bit like children who just want to play while the sun shines. And it always seems to shine in Thailand - how many depressed-looking Thais unhappy with their lot in life do you see around?

• Like 2

Just my take on it, less and less Thai's coming to the resort towns to find work as work available in home towns, Isaan cities like Udon, Khon Kean Korat thriving so no need to move away.

On the pther hand..........

Last month Tesco wanted to hire 5 people.

There were 250+ people in the que for the job, literally.

Thing is, available work in the resort towns has dwindled because of the influx of different visitors and the figures catering for them.

The Isan people return home, indeed not getting work, but having a home with food and a bed.

Besides that, many businesses in the Isan have to close because the 300 baht a day wage is killing them.

Thay have no choice, or they just disappear, or start with non-Thai staff.

Although the minimum wage law is mostly adhered to by bigger companies, smaller businesses offer much lower wages, or hire Vietnamese.

Besides that, many Thai do not want to work for a farang,

Stupid, becasue farang HAVE to adhere to the laws, so they get better working conditions and wages.

But face seems to be more important.

Friend started a busines, had a Songkran problem and a very instable workforce.

Now emplys Vietnamese women.

No problems at all.

Worth the 300 baht a day and some benefits not normally given in Thailand.

Where in the world are there enough good sale people to go out and sell?

Sure to stand in a store and look pretty but to actually effectively sell a product or service is an art and a skill. Good sales people can choose the firm they want to work for and start ups are always harder to find good staff for. Who want to work for an unknown firm.? Guess your sales approach needs some work to find the right staff. Have someone check your ads, seems like if your getting no inquiries they may be the problem.

if you believe in your venture i am sure a good base would not be the problem.

I have noticed that many Thais do not want to be tied down to a 8-10 hour job. They want to have a break once in awhile. Also when they are being paid 200-300 baht for a day's work, they feel they can quit and go some place else and get the same pay (with a break between jobs). Many factories in Rayong are having the same problem holding on to their workers and their benefits are good compared to other places. I feel businesses that really want to hold on to good staff need to give them higher wages in order to stay, commission if they are in sales, and proper training. Overall, it is a different attitude towards jobs here than in the West. For example, if you are content frying noodles making enough to survive on -but you are HAPPY- why change jobs? In the West, it seems we always want to make more money but we turn around and get ourselves in debt and have less time to enjoy and not happy.

It's not just a desire to make more money in the west, it's also about the work ethic. We are raised to try to improve our lives, to be ambitious and change things for our benefit and that of our families. It is taboo to sit back and just let things happen. It is also about being happy (or rather at least not be sad) but in a different way to Thais (but not Thai Chinese). Financial security for ourselves and our family is also a major desire in the west, but Thais often don't think about that as they have a 'now' philosophy. A bit like children who just want to play while the sun shines. And it always seems to shine in Thailand - how many depressed-looking Thais unhappy with their lot in life do you see around?

Plenty everyday

Someone said rightly that an employer has to provide a 'decent' base salary on which that an educated employee (for the job) can sustain himself or herself. Also, watch out if you go through an intermediary as he or she can be the 'gatekeeper' that doesn't allow the 'right' applicants to even see the employer. As an example, I went to interview in Pattaya for an establishment. The Thai 'supervisor/manager' told me the changes that she wanted and ended with 'I am just an employee'. All this took nearly 3 hours. I did my homework and gather together a team, but I wanted to meet the 'foreign' investor/owner to talk to him to see if he would approve of the plan and its budget. I refused to send my plan to her, and hence I never got any call to see the 'owner'. You don't need a business school education to deduce that this intermediary is solicting 'free' consultation. If I am not allowed contact with the 'decision maker' then how can he hire the 'right' staff to revive his business?

Edited by kuhske
  • Like 1

..actually....there are so many 'other situations' that reap 'innovative' Thais money....that many of them don't have to work.....

....figure it out...why we are so welcome....until the cash stops flowing......

....I would like to get figures on 'kept people'.......they become spoiled....then find any means to acquire money.....other than work....

.foreigners have to 'own up to every action....every move...scrutinized and criticized all the way....and dishing out for any unknown pretext...