Shooting At Mother's Day Parade In New Orleans Injures 19

News_Editor

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA (BNO NEWS) -- Nineteen people were injured Sunday when as many as three gunmen opened fire at a crowd watching a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans, police said on Monday. The motive was not yet known, and no arrests were immediately made.

The incident happened at approximately 1:47 p.m. local time on Sunday when gunfire erupted at the end of a Second Line Parade to mark Mother's Day, which is celebrated on the second Sunday of May in the United States. "It was over in just a couple of seconds," said Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas.

Investigators believe at least two different guns were used in the shooting, but officers at the scene reported seeing as many as three suspects running away from the area. "One of the suspects' description would be a dark-skinned male, 18 to 22 years old, short hair, wearing a white shirt and blue jean shorts," Serpas said. "We have no further information on the suspects at this time."

Nineteen people were injured as a result of the shooting, including some who were grazed by bullets that ricocheted. Serpas did not know the exact conditions of the victims but said most of the wounds were not considered to be life-threatening, although four people were undergoing emergency surgery on late Sunday afternoon.

The victims were described as ten adult males, seven adult females, and two 10-year-old children, but it was not immediately clear whether any of them had been deliberately targeted. "The 10-year-old victims had graze wounds to the body and are in good condition," a police spokesperson said on Monday morning.

"Obviously, these are unusual circumstances. .. We had a full compliment of police officers," Serpas explained. "It appears that, these 2 or 3 people, just for a reason unknown to us, started shooting at, towards or in the crowd. It was over in just a couple of seconds, police were everywhere."

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

Very sad news. Prince Hamlet would have said..... " ... stinks.... " .

I cannot but notice that wave upon wave of sad, bad, bloody news keep coming from USA.

I do not know why.

I do not know where and how it will end.

But I understand that something is inherently wrong with the land of the 'Free' and of 'Prosperity'.

I am genuinely afraid that one day soon Americans will opt for 'security' and 'stability'.

And we all know what this will mean at the end...

Geezzz,, I really hate sound doom-n-gloom...smile.png

Edited by ABCer

Very sad news. Prince Hamlet would have said..... " ... stinks.... " .

I cannot but notice that wave upon wave of sad, bad, bloody news keep coming from USA.

I do not know why.

I do not know where and how it will end.

But I understand that something is inherently wrong with the land of the 'Free' and of 'Prosperity'.

I am genuinely afraid that one day soon Americans will opt for 'security' and 'stability'.

And we all know what this will mean at the end...

Geezzz,, I really hate sound doom-n-gloom...smile.png

The answer is to ensure everyone has a gun with them at all times . . . it works in Somalia, Sudan etc...

Oh NO, no...

I am not a great fan of USA, but I do not really hate the people and the country to wish to see it working as Sudan, Somalia, Erithrea, Uganda etc...

As to the question of guns, - all these bombings and shootings pour the water on the gun control freaks.

The French used to say - ' look for the woman' (cherchez la femme ? rolleyes.gif )

I think - look for who benefits from the event.coffee1.gif

Good link.

So tell me. how could an assault weapons ban, large capacity magazine ban, increased background check and a waiting period have stopped this nearly tragic incident?

This kid is a gang banger and will get a weapon regardless of how many restrictions are placed on law abiding US citizens.

• Like 2

The answer is to ensure everyone has a gun with them at all times . . . it works in Somalia, Sudan etc...

Absolutely!

As Wayne LaPierre, the executive Vice-President of the NRA is fond of saying, “The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun".

(And we know he's good because we did a background check? Oops. We know he's good because he purchased his gun from an authorized dealer. Oops. We know he's good because he had to abide by a reasonable waiting period. Oops.We know he's good because his firearm is registered in a national database. Oops.)

Or as he said at the recent NRA Convention, ""How many Bostonians wished they had a gun two weeks ago?"

The obvious answer is more guns rather than fewer. If more people had guns in New Orleans, or Boston, then bad guys would be afraid to perpetrate violent acts.

Edited by lomatopo