Seth Meyers To Take Over As Host Of Nbc's "late Night" Talk Show

News_Editor

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- Seth Meyers, the comedian best known from "Saturday Night Live," will take over as host of the "Late Night" talk show next year when its current host, Jimmy Fallon, becomes the host of the "Tonight Show," NBC Entertainment announced on late Sunday.

Meyers, who is the current host of the fake news sketch "Weekend Update" on "Saturday Night Live," will take over as host of "Late Night" in the spring of 2014. Lorne Michaels will executive produce "Late Night with Seth Meyers" and Michael Shoemaker will remain with the show as producer, the network said.

"We think Seth is one of the brightest, most insightful comedy writers and performers of his generation. His years at SNL's 'Weekend Update' desk, not to mention being head writer of the show for many seasons, helped him hone a topical brand of comedy that is perfect for the 'Late Night' franchise," said NBC Entertainment Chairman Bob Greenblatt. "We couldn't be happier that Seth and Jimmy Fallon will be continuing their careers at NBC after growing up in this network's late night legacy."

NBC Entertainment announced in April that veteran late-night television host Jay Leno will step down next year as the host of the "Tonight Show" after more than two decades, clearing the way for "Late Night" talk show host Jimmy Fallon to take over. Fallon had hosted the show since 2009.

"Since 1982, there have been three 'Late Night' hosts starting with David Letterman, and Seth couldn't be in better company," said Executive Producer Lorne Michaels, to which Meyers added: "I only have to work for Lorne for five more years before I pay him back for the time I totaled his car. 12:30 on NBC has long been incredible real estate. I hope I can do it justice."

The premiere date for "Late Night with Seth Meyers" will be announced later this year.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

SNL has launched a lot of careers. I hope Seth Meyers does as well in his new role as he has done in his last one.

I have long ago lost interest in SNL, with the exception of his news reporting, which keeps me coming back.