National Pride Must Be Restored In Suvarnabhumi Airport, Says New Director

webfact

'National pride' must be restored in Suvarnabhumi, says new director
Achara Deboonme
The Nation

30206067-01_big.jpg
Rawewan

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport saw its global ranking slide from 25th in 2012 to 38th this year, prompting the new airport director to say she would scramble the support of all parties in her mission to restore "national pride" in the airport complex.

Rawewan Netrakavesna has tasked herself with urgently introducing new improvements to the airport - with the aim to bring Suvarnabhumi's Skytrax ranking back to "25" next year.

Categorised as a three-star airport, Suvarnabhumi offers an "industry average" in the standard of product and service delivery. Her mission will involve in-depth talks with airlines and as well as lobbying for support from government agencies.

"I have a mission to plug the holes of criticism - to make Suvarnabhumi Thailand's best national asset." Suvarnabhumi's financial weak points have already been dealt with, she said, but the airport now faces fierce competition.

"Her mission is huge, as over-capacity at Suvarnabhumi is quickly leading to a deterioration in services.

"Everyone must join us and lend a hand," she said during an exclusive interview.

Drawing on her 34 years of experience at Airports of Thailand (AOT), Rawewan is convinced that she can balance the needs of airlines with the regulatory environment to create a win-win scenario.

"Passengers are our lifeblood and airlines are carrying passengers to us. Without them, we die. My duty is acting as the intermediary - to pass on airlines' proposals to the management of AOT and ensure their demands are taken seriously."

Cooperation from all parties enabled Chiang Mai International Airport - where she served as director from 2010 to last month - to win the Airports Council International award as the world's fifth-best airport with a passenger capacity of less than 5 million. She attributes the success to the support she received from airlines as well as Chiang Mai Governor ML Panadda Diskul, who made the airport a part of the provincial economic-development scheme.

During her years there, under the airport's regular annual budget, the passenger terminal was greatly improved.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport, she has set her sights on adjusting space usage at the passenger terminal. Bank booths and non-aviation offices may be moved to the fourth floor to enlarge the check-in area. In addition, One World - the alliance of American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Iberia, Finnair and LanChile - plans to relocate its operations to Don Mueang Airport, a complex logistical operation that will require the development of services and support infrastructure for connecting flights and cargo handling, said Rawewan.

Seventy per cent of Thailand's tourist arrivals use Suvarnabhumi as the gateway to the Kingdom. As tourism grows, the airport - with a maximum capacity of 45 million passengers - last year accommodated 52 million. Thanks to the relocation of AirAsia to Don Mueang late last year, the number of passengers at Suvarnabhumi this year will drop by 4.59 per cent year on year to 50.57 million. However, that number is expected to grow to 57 million in 2015.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-14

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drawing on her 34 years of experience at Airports of Thailand (AOT),

Seems she would have been around long enough to have seen the entire implementation of svb. Now all of a sudden she going to solve the problems?

To be fair to her, though - she wasn't all too involved in Swampy . . . I do love this sentence, though:

to make Suvarnabhumi Thailand's best national asset.

Bugger the temples, beaches, palaces etc . . . Yes, an airport has to be THE national treasure. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Seems she would have been around long enough to have seen the entire implementation of svb. Now all of a sudden she going to solve the problems?

Perhaps you should read the reviews of the airport she managed previously. A quick read of users reviews on the various websites indicate that the customers are pleased. The woman obviously assembled a capable team, worked with the airlines and managed to convince the AOT board to make changes.

Why would you blame her for BKK? Do you honestly think she would have been in a position to do anything?

The airlines and passengers have been looking for a champion. She looks like she has the strength and tenacity to taken on the Immigration department and force it to staff appropriately. There are a lot of small changes she can make that will make the place better. Give the woman a chance.

BKK has already made some significant changes in the past 2 years driving out the gangsters that crowded the arrivals area. There is now some semblance of order to the taxi ranks. A great deal of the problem arises from some of the passengers. Is it the airport's responsibility if some of the airlines that do not staff their desks properly or if their passengers show up with excess luggage knocking everyone out of their way? Have a look at some of the slobs that toss their litter all over the terminal, or those that still jam up the security lines as they try to bring excess liquids and dangerous items through security. Is it the airport's fault if some pax pee on the floor or put their diapers and tampons in the toilets? Much of the delay at immigration is caused by PAX that don't fill out their forms. Surely, the airlines could run an explanatory message prior to landing etc.

People peeing on floors, one would assume isn't unique to Bangkok? It takes someone of this level to organise a taxi rank?

Look, getting all emotional and calling it a national treasure is way over the top. There are problems, and it is getting a bit better slowly. At the end of the day, the concessions contracts were made years ago for example, so she can't unravel half of the problems.

A fresh pair of eyes would do wonders for the place in my opinion.

It's an airport for gawd's sake. Like a bus station, but bigger coffee1.gif

True. Maybe some national pride in what visitors see AFTER they pass through the airport would be well placed.

A hawker in KSR is probably as concerned about the image of the airport as a fish n chips shop in London is about Heathrow. Nil.

And whilst the visitor may wish there were some improved facilities and conveniences, their actual only thought of the airport while they're visiting a temple or riding a tuktuk is, again, nil.

The airport doesn't project the nation's image or pride - the nation does.

• Like 1

To be fair to her, though - she wasn't all too involved in Swampy . . . I do love this sentence, though:

>to make Suvarnabhumi Thailand's best national

asset.

Bugger the temples, beaches, palaces etc . . . Yes, an airport has to be THE national treasure. rolleyes.gif

The comment about national treasure, belies a passion for her job. Bless her for thinking like that. Some people enjoy their work and I get a feeling this woman takes pride in her results. The people of Hong Kong and Singapore are quite proud of their airports which are the 2 best in the world. It is the first thing foreigners see when they arrive and a good experience goes a long way in fostering positive perceptions. She has this aspect of her responsibilities right.

Many of us are cursed with flying into horrible airports like LAX. a couple of LHR's terminals, JFK, FCO, CDG etc. Those that are fortunate to use pleasant airports like AMS, FRA, SFO and YVR will appreciate her passion to make the airport experience a positive one.

I got one thing to say, you go girl.

I'm not taking anything away from her passion - as she has clearly done a good job up north - and I hope she manages Swampy despite the cards being stacked against her, vis-a-vis parking, immigration, concessions etc . . . but calling it THE national treasure is quite ott

If they'd designed and built it better in the first place it would have helped.

Have you tried the 'observation platform'? You have to kneel down on the floor to get a limited view under the metalwork, and can just see a little of the runway!

And then there's the sign that says 'Meeting area 3rd floor', but points up to the 4th floor!

Edited by Mister Fixit

>to make Suvarnabhumi Thailand's best national asset.

It is no great surprise to discover that no language in the world has the phrase "As lovely as an airport"

(thank you Douglas)

It is badly designed compared with HK and SIN, which are a joy to visit, in my opinion.

In SVB, there is nowhere to sit, unless you want to order another ruinously expensive doughnut, and the whole departures area is like a slightly upmarket Pantip Plaza. Internet stations? Nah. A nice bar to sit at? Nah. Nice views? Nah. Decent bookstore? Nah. Place to buy tacky s**t? Everywhere.

They have revised the security procedures on the way out, so that you go upstairs, turn left, go upstairs again, put your bags through a device, turn left, go down some stairs, turn left again, eat an aspirin, go down some more stairs and get vomited out in some other part of the airport.

It took me four visits before I found a place where I can get a quiet beer (albeit for 100 baht) and not have people constantly offering me hot-dogs and ice-cream from laminated menus on laminated tables.

• Like 2

In SVB, there is nowhere to sit, unless you want to order another ruinously expensive doughnut,

It took me four visits before I found a place where I can get a quiet beer (albeit for 100 baht) and not have people constantly offering me hot-dogs and ice-cream from laminated menus on laminated tables.

What about the soft comfy armchairs before you descend to the to the departure gates? Buy a can of beer from the newsagents/bookshop. Sit back & watch the stewardesses parade past thumbsup.gif

It's an airport for gawd's sake. Like a bus station, but bigger coffee1.gif

I've travelled extensively throughout my miserable life and have never thought of an airport as anything other than a means to an end so I think in terms of how long did I have to queue at check-in and immigration, how far from the departure gates are the " refreshments " and so on ? I can see how this might play in Thailand though if you remember the hand wringing when the country lost its status as the world's biggest rice exporter but I doubt the average non-travelling Thai will be in the least bit motivated..

• Like 1

>to make Suvarnabhumi Thailand's best national asset.<

/p>

The comment about national treasure, belies a passion for her job. Bless her for thinking like that. Some people enjoy their work and I get a feeling this woman takes pride in her results. The people of Hong Kong and Singapore are quite proud of their airports which are the 2 best in the world. It is the first thing foreigners see when they arrive and a good experience goes a long way in fostering positive perceptions. She has this aspect of her responsibilities right.

Many of us are cursed with flying into horrible airports like LAX. a couple of LHR's terminals, JFK, FCO, CDG etc. Those that are fortunate to use pleasant airports like AMS, FRA, SFO and YVR will appreciate her passion to make the airport experience a positive one.

I got one thing to say, you go girl.My idea after all the years of corruption at swampy AOT is the one that should GO --as you said "go girl" it is not her really it's the AOT set up that has caused the SLIDE from 25th to 38th. relying on a lone woman is stupid, A really good a.n. other private company-non corrupt would be better and kick out the established dead wood we all know.

ALL the problems from the onset-scanners runways, full to capacity in a few years--this is the fault of the running and management.

Good to think about a new start, BUT this is a new airport for gods sake.

'National pride' must be restored in Suvarnabhumi

That would require a "tear-down" and "rebuild" minus the corruption, graft, shoddy workmanship, and pathetic design.

imho whistling.gif

• Like 1

This is really shoddy journalism but let us take some of the points,

1 One World moving to Don Mueng we have already had the head of One World saying it would never happen

2 She wants to get all the other agencies on board with getting it in order, in other word it is not the over bloated AOT to blame it is always some one else

3 Some good points more space required at check in, good point so why does AOT not hire some people to keep walkable areas free

4 Trolley Helpers at the top of moving walkways are just sitting next to air con units and not helping passengers for some reason these trolleys do not work well and sometimes roll back, get new ones without the corruption bidding ways you obviously bought the wrong ones last time

5 More lifts and larger one so trolleys can fitted in even with all the lazy stewardess and king power people getting in them, king power should be banned from lifts they are for customers not work people

6 Big improvement in immigration queues now so since we have a single lines we can have checkers to the immigration slips to make sure they are valid before they get to the immigration counters, we have people assigning what queues they should go to based on the size of outstanding queue.

• Like 1

Perhaps you should read the reviews of the airport she managed previously. A quick read of users reviews on the various websites indicate that the customers are pleased. The woman obviously assembled a capable team, worked with the airlines and managed to convince the AOT board to make changes.

Why would you blame her for BKK? Do you honestly think she would have been in a position to do anything?

The airlines and passengers have been looking for a champion. She looks like she has the strength and tenacity to taken on the Immigration department and force it to staff appropriately. There are a lot of small changes she can make that will make the place better. Give the woman a chance.

BKK has already made some significant changes in the past 2 years driving out the gangsters that crowded the arrivals area. There is now some semblance of order to the taxi ranks. A great deal of the problem arises from some of the passengers. Is it the airport's responsibility if some of the airlines that do not staff their desks properly or if their passengers show up with excess luggage knocking everyone out of their way? Have a look at some of the slobs that toss their litter all over the terminal, or those that still jam up the security lines as they try to bring excess liquids and dangerous items through security. Is it the airport's fault if some pax pee on the floor or put their diapers and tampons in the toilets? Much of the delay at immigration is caused by PAX that don't fill out their forms. Surely, the airlines could run an explanatory message prior to landing etc.

People peeing on floors, one would assume isn't unique to Bangkok? It takes someone of this level to organise a taxi rank?

Look, getting all emotional and calling it a national treasure is way over the top. There are problems, and it is getting a bit better slowly. At the end of the day, the concessions contracts were made years ago for example, so she can't unravel half of the problems.

A fresh pair of eyes would do wonders for the place in my opinion.

Maybe some government officials should hop on a plane and go to KL.

I timed the immigration counters while I was in a queue, and it took on average 12 seconds to process each passenger, unless there was an obvious query on a passport.

I was through in 10 seconds.

Got to Thailand and it took almost 3 minutes, with a current visa.

• Like 1

Of Swampy has done such a good job this year how come they went from 25th to 38th in one year?

I agree she does bring a fresh air to the airport as Chiang Mai is a decent efficient airport.

But over looked is the fact that Chiang Mai does not have to deal that much with customs and immigration. That is a fact that she had nothing to do with.

Whenever I hear about Thai bureaucrats and politicians talking about "national pride", I want to vomit.

In most cases these are the people that constitute a national discrace, and if it were not for them and their ilk, Thailand would be a much better place...... (including the airport, from planning, 45 years ago!, to land acquisition and building, then commissioning under the man in Dubai, to running the place)

Snouts in the trough at every sty along the way.

• Like 1

<

blockquote>

>to make Suvarnabhumi Thailand's best national asset.<

/p>

I got one thing to say, you go girl.

My idea after all the years of corruption at swampy AOT is the one that should GO --as you said "go girl" it is not her really it's the AOT set up that has caused the SLIDE from 25th to 38th. relying on a lone woman is stupid, A really good a.n. other private company-non corrupt would be better and kick out the established dead wood we all know.

ALL the problems from the onset-scanners runways, full to capacity in a few years--this is the fault of the running and management.

Good to think about a new start, BUT this is a new airport for gods sake.

It is a new airport yes it is and as such should not be having the problems it does.

It was poorly thought out in the first place. They had been planing it for years but it was not until Thaksin came along and saw a chance to make some money in his own pocket that they actually got down to brass tacks.

Yes restore National pride but make it real pride this time not a face only pride.

I don't know if they have the property to make it a trouble free airport in ten years. Are they going to be allowing for growth. It sounds to me like it will not be able to handle the current traffic unless some international air lines move to Don Muang.

It is a crime the number of people looking for a seat while they wait hours for the chance to get to the Gate. All those supposed offices that are never open taking up valuable seating area.

• Like 1

It's an airport for gawd's sake. Like a bus station,

but bigger coffee1.gif

Ah yes......but a huge loss of face to have the global rating fall so low...and unfortunately...with the phlebs that manage the airport......little wil likely eventuate