National Pride Must Be Restored In Suvarnabhumi Airport, Says New Director

webfact

My only issue with Swampy is being forced to walk through an entire shopping mall to get to one's gate. And I fail to see anything special about CNX, although it is efficient. At CNX, the domestic departure lounge is far too small for current usage while the international departure lounge is much larger and grossly under utilized. The two departure lounges should have been switched years ago and if this person wasn't able to see that fix then I doubt she will be able to do much for Swampy,

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only issue with Swampy is being forced to walk through an entire shopping mall to get to one's gate. And I fail to see anything special about CNX, although it is efficient. At CNX, the domestic departure lounge is far too small for current usage while the international departure lounge is much larger and grossly under utilized. The two departure lounges should have been switched years ago and if this person wasn't able to see that fix then I doubt she will be able to do much for Swampy,

The planes and gates at airports are a secondary consideration these days. The airports make money from the shopping. People are going to travel anyway.

Actually, I think more people would complain if there weren't any shops.

The planes and gates at airports are a secondary consideration these days. The airports make money from the shopping. People are going to travel anyway.

Actually, I think more people would complain if there weren't any shops.

Problem is travellers will nearly never find the best or competitive prices on any decent (non-Thai) products at Swampy. Prices are consistently higher for same items in the region (esp SG and HKG) and certainly far higher and miserably less selection than most Westerners are accustomed to in their home countries. Almost no reason to shop at Swampy. Maybe Thais are buying the over-priced, over-taxed goods?

My only issue with Swampy is being forced to walk through an entire shopping mall to get to one's gate.

Try flying out of Manchester. After passing through security, it's a maze to get out of the shopping mall to the seating area prior to going to the gates

Ahhh, I don't know. Not really sure why people think comparing Thailand's sole international airport to airports in the US -- in this way -- is reasonable.

Here goes -

Thailand has 1 airport, and it's crap. The US has many.

<snip>

Last I checked, Bangkok has TWO airports. Bangkok IS in Thailand, isn't it?

Have you ever compared the size of the US to Thailand? What about the economic level of the people? Do you think the size and the number of people with money might have an effect on the number of airports?

Sorry, yes, 2. My understanding is that DM has been a domestic airport until just recently.

And, yes the US is about 6 - 7 times bigger than Thailand. Singapore is smaller as is Hong Kong...

The economic development of the people? No, I don't weigh that at all here. Why would it make sense to factor this in? Is the Thai government too poor to build an international airport to a competitive international standard? Anyway, China built what I think is a beautiful airport at Beijing (not perfect, but magnitudes better than SVN).

Yes, the number of travellers would effect the number of needed airports. But, not sure what your point is here. They have only 1 airport 2 airports, so shouldn't they be near perfect? They put all their best effort and brightest people into it.

The design was made 25 years before it was actually built. Rumour was, the Singaporeans bribed Thai politicians not to build it so that Singapore's primacy as an air hub could be established.

And just when you want to say, that's impossible, just remember where you are and wonder, why did it take 30 years to complete? Where else in the world would it be possible or acceptable? Do definitely not an impossible reality in Thailand.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Ahhh, I don't know. Not really sure why people think comparing Thailand's sole international airport to airports in the US -- in this way -- is reasonable.

Here goes -

Thailand has 1 airport, and it's crap. The US has many.

<snip>

Last I checked, Bangkok has TWO airports. Bangkok IS in Thailand, isn't it?

Have you ever compared the size of the US to Thailand? What about the economic level of the people? Do you think the size and the number of people with money might have an effect on the number of airports?

Sorry, yes, 2. My understanding is that DM has been a domestic airport until just recently.

And, yes the US is about 6 - 7 times bigger than Thailand. Singapore is smaller as is Hong Kong...

The economic development of the people? No, I don't weigh that at all here. Why would it make sense to factor this in? Is the Thai government too poor to build an international airport to a competitive international standard? Anyway, China built what I think is a beautiful airport at Beijing (not perfect, but magnitudes better than SVN).

Yes, the number of travellers would effect the number of needed airports. But, not sure what your point is here. They have only 1 airport 2 airports, so shouldn't they be near perfect? They put all their best effort and brightest people into it.

What about Chiang Mai international airport, and Phuket, and Samui ... and others?

US population is about 6 times more than Thailand. The size (area) of the US is about 20 times that of Thailand. A lot more reason for people to travel by air rather than car.

"Economic level of the PEOPLE". Americans can more afford to travel by air, and with the distances, are more likely to.

Suvarnabhumi is built to a competitive international standard. It has been near the top of international airports since it was opened. Certainly it's not perfect, but compare it to everything else that happens (or doesn't) in Thailand, and it's not doing too bad.

I would have to agree with you if it wasn't a relatively new airport.

I find it somewhat amusing that some of the people bashing BKK come from countries that have given us several of the world's worst airports. The reality is that BKK suffers because BKK is such a popular destination. If China had not built up Pudong and Beijing airports alot of that traffic would have gone to HKG causing similar crowding. The same for SIN with KUL and BKK. Yes I love SIN, but a connecting flight on a decent airline out of SIN can often cost 25-50% than it does from BKK. HKG was built at a great social and environmental cost, not that all the whinging westerners care. What would the reaction from pax be if their airfares suddenly matched those of SIN because AOT increased the landing fees and rents charged airlines?

Is BKK really worse than the majority of international airports in North America or the Eu? I don't think so.

The airport's designer Helmut Jahn is a German American. Write to him and tell him what you think.

Carry on being amused, "write to the German" better ask Dubai to contact to get the sorry details, get my drift ???

Air Asia didn't play a role in traffic increase ??? you are really trying to say no one ever realised that a small increase in the new airport would make it over worked and out of date, ??? and the cost of the Airport ???? with not much insight in the future capacity needed.

Better 50 per cent of good airlines transfer to DM -Kick the air force out and hey presto you have the capacity you need.

THIS should have been done without building Swampy.

Sorry - DM is a horrible dump - it was horrible the first time I landed here, and got worse every day since - how the hell anyone could equate that antiquated smelly hole with anything decent is beyond belief.

BKK airport is new and clean - yes they get overcrowded, but so do many airports I have been through, so I am not surprised. All airports have to go through these phases simply because it is a human failing not to be willing or able to spend the money to do things right the first time around - and that happens everywhere, and in virtually every industry.

Almost no reason to shop at Swampy. Maybe Thais are buying the over-priced, over-taxed goods?

We've already made our purchases by the time we arrive at Swampy departures.

I like Swampy departures. Spacious, well air-conditioned and invariably organised. Has a smoking room, somewhere to have a few beers and plenty of toilets.

Far superior to T3 LHR.

Drawing on her 34 years of experience at Airports of Thailand (AOT),

Seems she would have been around long enough to have seen the entire implementation of svb. Now all of a sudden she going to solve the problems?

She hasn't been Director of Suvarnabhumi for 34years and I doubt that she was in the position of authority that she is now for those 34 years.

Seems to have done ok in other airports though, part of which may be due to the fact that she can read apparently, not like you.

Seems she would have been around long enough to have seen the entire implementation of svb. Now all of a sudden she going to solve the problems?

She hasn't been Director of Suvarnabhumi for 34years and I doubt that she was in the position of authority that she is now for those 34 years.

Seems to have done ok in other airports though, part of which may be due to the fact that she can read apparently, not like you.

Did I say she had been director of SVB for 34 years? She has been within AOT for 34 years. Now if she has spent that entire time in operations outside SVB, I would be extremely suprised. They only have a handful of airports to run, so in 34 years, I am more than sure she has been privy to just a few meetings and brainstorming sessions about SVB.

Almost no reason to shop at Swampy. Maybe Thais are buying the over-priced, over-taxed goods?

I like Swampy departures. Spacious, well air-conditioned and invariably organised. Has a smoking room, somewhere to have a few beers and plenty of toilets.

Far superior to T3 LHR.

T3 is about 50 years old so anything new has to be better. Yes swampy has beers for sale, at amazing rip off prices about 3x town prices, I am just surprised they do not charge for taking a dump. At HK they have a 7/11 with prices the same as in town, if a small airport like HK does not rip off passengers then why should swampy? maybe cos they is Thai?

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

Far superior to T3 LHR.

T3 is about 50 years old so anything new has to be better. Yes swampy has beers for sale, at amazing rip off prices about 3x town prices, I am just surprised they do not charge for taking a dump. At HK they have a 7/11 with prices the same as in town, if a small airport like HK does not rip off passengers then why should swampy? maybe cos they is Thai?

HK a small airport?

I find it somewhat amusing that some of the people bashing BKK come from countries that have given us several of the world's worst airports. The reality is that BKK suffers because BKK is such a popular destination. If China had not built up Pudong and Beijing airports alot of that traffic would have gone to HKG causing similar crowding. The same for SIN with KUL and BKK. Yes I love SIN, but a connecting flight on a decent airline out of SIN can often cost 25-50% than it does from BKK. HKG was built at a great social and environmental cost, not that all the whinging westerners care. What would the reaction from pax be if their airfares suddenly matched those of SIN because AOT increased the landing fees and rents charged airlines?

Is BKK really worse than the majority of international airports in North America or the Eu? I don't think so.

The airport's designer Helmut Jahn is a German American. Write to him and tell him what you think.

Carry on being amused, "write to the German" better ask Dubai to contact to get the sorry details, get my drift ???

Air Asia didn't play a role in traffic increase ??? you are really trying to say no one ever realised that a small increase in the new airport would make it over worked and out of date, ??? and the cost of the Airport ???? with not much insight in the future capacity needed.

Better 50 per cent of good airlines transfer to DM -Kick the air force out and hey presto you have the capacity you need.

THIS should have been done without building Swampy.

Sorry - DM is a horrible dump - it was horrible the first time I landed here, and got worse every day since - how the hell anyone could equate that antiquated smelly hole with anything decent is beyond belief.

BKK airport is new and clean - yes they get overcrowded, but so do many airports I have been through, so I am not surprised. All airports have to go through these phases simply because it is a human failing not to be willing or able to spend the money to do things right the first time around - and that happens everywhere, and in virtually every industry.

I don't mind being beyond belief, I was one of those so happy persons donkey's years ago to land at Don.M, excited about my holiday here, it to me was not SMELLY and I never found it a dump, in fact I wouldn't have noticed anyway, as I was on my annual leave and HERE.

So your comments leed me to believe your defending a priced out corrupt built airport, that had more problems than any airport in the world has had in a lifetime--to speak as though ALL airports have the same problems is nuts--(couldn't type what I felt)

"Yes it gets overcrouded" you said and you said also it's a new airport--So ??? explain that.

• Like 2

Perhaps you should read the reviews of the airport she managed previously. A quick read of users reviews on the various websites indicate that the customers are pleased. The woman obviously assembled a capable team, worked with the airlines and managed to convince the AOT board to make changes.

Why would you blame her for BKK? Do you honestly think she would have been in a position to do anything?

The airlines and passengers have been looking for a champion. She looks like she has the strength and tenacity to taken on the Immigration department and force it to staff appropriately. There are a lot of small changes she can make that will make the place better. Give the woman a chance.

BKK has already made some significant changes in the past 2 years driving out the gangsters that crowded the arrivals area. There is now some semblance of order to the taxi ranks. A great deal of the problem arises from some of the passengers. Is it the airport's responsibility if some of the airlines that do not staff their desks properly or if their passengers show up with excess luggage knocking everyone out of their way? Have a look at some of the slobs that toss their litter all over the terminal, or those that still jam up the security lines as they try to bring excess liquids and dangerous items through security. Is it the airport's fault if some pax pee on the floor or put their diapers and tampons in the toilets? Much of the delay at immigration is caused by PAX that don't fill out their forms. Surely, the airlines could run an explanatory message prior to landing etc.

People peeing on floors, one would assume isn't unique to Bangkok? It takes someone of this level to organise a taxi rank?

Look, getting all emotional and calling it a national treasure is way over the top. There are problems, and it is getting a bit better slowly. At the end of the day, the concessions contracts were made years ago for example, so she can't unravel half of the problems.

A fresh pair of eyes would do wonders for the place in my opinion.

Maybe some government officials should hop on a plane and go to KL.

I timed the immigration counters while I was in a queue, and it took on average 12 seconds to process each passenger, unless there was an obvious query on a passport.

I was through in 10 seconds.

Got to Thailand and it took almost 3 minutes, with a current visa.

I also went to KL recently and it was amazingly efficient.

They seem to have digitalized the embarkation form process, which really makes a difference.

In Thailand there always nagging you to fill in some arbitrary information on the embarkation form, which is really a waste of everyone's time

(Is it relevant what the address of the hotel I plan to stay for my first two days in the country is? What use is this information?)

came back from HK last year late and we were all stopped in arrivals just haaving got off the plane by staff who demanded to see our boarding cards! absolute madness as not many had kept them. Just brushed past the xxxxxx

Edited by metisdead
Derogatory flame toward Thais removed.