Why Do Some Farangs Live In Remote Areas?

monochaser

:o:D:D This is my answer to the "why do farangs live in tourist area" thread. I just want to know whether the majority of people living in the sticks are very short on cash so they exploit poor areas of the country to get by on their miserly pensions. Would these same people be homeless in their own countries? Is this exploitation good for Thailand? I mean afterall what is going n here is some of these people are trying to live on the equivalent of Thai wages. Does Thailand really want these people here? How belittling is it to go from a 1st world nation to living like a 3rd world refugee? I am in no way suggesting that all of those in remote Thailand areas are doing this but clearly many are. Edited by monochaser

why?

may be they like to have privacy, or love nature ? or fed up with urban air, sound and other pollutions ?

or may be they like agricultural existence ?

many reasons can be, man, like family matters. my wife urges m to move to her small town because she wants to take care of her old mom since she is her only daughter, very traditional Thai lady, who doesn't want to move to Bangkok bnut live rest of her days in house of her own mother. also because she (my wife) loves to live in that house too - all the memories, you know, etc. and the main reason I refuse or try to postpone it as long as possible - because I feel it would be hard for me to continue my work, although I like living there.

economical reason might be quite common (no doubt, almost everything in province is cheaper - food, bills), but not necesarily in your version - povetry or parasitic exploitation.

and anyway, how you can know "whether the majority ...." or minority or whatever? those who participate here are hardly all the farangs living in LOS. and what good hasty generalisations would do you ?

not to speak about Thai people, their opinion on this subject - "Does Thailand really want ..." - do you seriously expect whatever opinions would be in comments to your this thread to reflect Thai people, not even say whole Thailand ?

I don't see how farangs living in the countryside can be classed as exploitation of local resources, and don't see what is so belittling about it. :o There are 'rich' and 'poor' Thais as well as farangs in Thai cities, Thai regional areas and overseas.

Personally, my wife's family is from that village. She wanted to stay there with her family. I don't like hanging around with tourists and I'm not into the whold Nightlife thing, I'd rather spend my time quietly with my family. We opened up a small store/restaurant in our village. I love it there... and though it's none of your business... I make more than $129,000.00 USD every year. $80,000.00 of that is tax free. I don't go to Thailand because I need the money or because I can't afford to live in my country or any country for that matter. I go because I love my wife and my family.

:o:D:D This is my answer to the "why do farangs live in tourist area" thread. I just want to know whether the majority of people living in the sticks are very short on cash so they exploit poor areas of the country to get by on their miserly pensions. Would these same people be homeless in their own countries? Is this exploitation good for Thailand? I mean afterall what is going n here is some of these people are trying to live on the equivalent of Thai wages. Does Thailand really want these people here? How belittling is it to go from a 1st world nation to living like a 3rd world refugee? I am in no way suggesting that all of those in remote Thailand areas are doing this but clearly many are.

So what?

A considerable number of farangs marry poverty stricken prostitutes from remote areas and settle down there.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... but are you speaking from personal experience or jealousy? Is there any real need to go down that road and start demeaning people or their motives?

:o:D:D This is my answer to the "why do farangs live in tourist area" thread. I just want to know whether the majority of people living in the sticks are very short on cash so they exploit poor areas of the country to get by on their miserly pensions. Would these same people be homeless in their own countries? Is this exploitation good for Thailand? I mean afterall what is going n here is some of these people are trying to live on the equivalent of Thai wages. Does Thailand really want these people here? How belittling is it to go from a 1st world nation to living like a 3rd world refugee? I am in no way suggesting that all of those in remote Thailand areas are doing this but clearly many are.

How is this thread an "answer" to the question posed by the “Why do farangs live in tourist areas” thread? It’s the same question, just a different setting.

How does living in the ‘sticks’ equate to exploiting poor areas of the country? If anything, it’s just the reverse because it adds a bit more to the local economy.

I’d be inclined to think you’ve spent very little time in any rural areas of Thailand (not just passing through) and perhaps are basing your opinion on what a few disenchanted farangs might have said about living in such areas.

What it all boils down to is that some people prefer the pace of city life while others enjoy the pace and setting of rural areas. As stated, there can be many other reasons for choosing to live in various areas. Living in a rural community has nothing to do with ‘exploiting poor areas’ especially when you have family and friends who live there.

but are you speaking from personal experience or jealousy?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it!!

Am I jealous of someone who marries a prostitute? Ummm no... But good luck to all who have, live and let live I say :D:o

Edited by mad_dog

What is wrong with you? What are these people exploiting, the fresh air? People always want to live where their money goes furtherest, what is wrong with that? I know many Americans who want and have headed for the hills to live the simple life and get some fresh air. I know there are members here who live in the country in Thailand one I think is a Dairy farmer another I think is a rice farmer, are the exploiting Thailand? Do their Thai spouses view this as exploitation?

In the culture thread in the ladies forum you weren't worried about the Thais offended byt he behavior of farangs on the beaches, so why should you be worried about the farangs in the country side? I don't think that you think about what you say before you say it. As a matter of fact I think reading your posts is like looking in to an intellilectual wormhole with a cul-de-sac.

I loved the time I spent at my Noi's village near Kalasin.

You exploiter you! How dare you enjoy the rural life and put these poor Thai people who do not want you in the rice fields of this fine country at such a disadvantage. How could you! :D:o

Guest endure

I think we ought to start a new thread entitled 'Why do some farang start threads disparaging lifestyles which they don't understand - are they devoid of empathy and imagination?' :o

:D:D:D This is my answer to the "why do farangs live in tourist area" thread. I just want to know whether the majority of people living in the sticks are very short on cash so they exploit poor areas of the country to get by on their miserly pensions. Would these same people be homeless in their own countries? Is this exploitation good for Thailand? I mean afterall what is going n here is some of these people are trying to live on the equivalent of Thai wages. Does Thailand really want these people here? How belittling is it to go from a 1st world nation to living like a 3rd world refugee? I am in no way suggesting that all of those in remote Thailand areas are doing this but clearly many are.

Great post Monochaser, you must have given it a lot of thought before posting.

You just endeared yourself to the thousands of expats who don't like living with pollution and traffic & prefer the rural life.....

Well done. :o:D

As a farang who lives deep in the sticks I will attempt to reply to your post.

I just want to know whether the majority of people living in the sticks are very short on cash so they exploit poor areas of the country to get by on their miserly pensions.

The amount of money that people live on in Thailand is actually none of your business at all.

Do you actually know anybody who lives in the country?

Would these same people be homeless in their own countries? NO.

I mean afterall what is going here is some of these people are trying to live on the equivalent of Thai wages. Does Thailand really want these people here?

Are you a Thai national? Are you speaking on behalf of all the Thai people?

How belittling is it to go from a 1st world nation to living like a 3rd world refugee? I am in no way suggesting that all of those in remote Thailand areas are doing this but clearly many are.

Why is belittling to go from a 1st ? world nation to a 3rd world refugee.

In my village I have no real need for locks, bolt and bars to keep me safe. I can go out at any time day or night and worry that I will be mugged, assualted, my house burgled, my car stolen. There is very little vandalism or graffiti here. I dont have crowds of drunken yobs puking up in my garden, smashing up phone boxes etc.

In the UK where used to live it was not safe to go out at night and this is 5 miles from Portsmouth where I would NEVER go alone at night.

Read some of the Pattaya and Bangkok forums about violence.

I have fresh air and space to move around in and my family have a good place to grow up without fear.

Where I live I have a lot of Thai friends, I shop in the local village and markets, I spend 90% of my money in the local economy where it is needed. We have 26 rai of land, we employ 4 people full time, more in the planting and harvesting season and we are actively involved in the locality.

What do YOU contribute to the Thai economy?

I am in no way suggesting that all of those in remote Thailand areas are doing this but clearly many are.

Actually you are suggesting that all of the expats who live in the sticks are poor and I for one resent that totally. All of the expats I know here live well and help out Thailand and put back into the economy more that they take out which is nothing as we are entitled to nothing in Thailand.

In my country my government would support me if I have nowhere to live, pay for my hospital treatment, and at the end of my life they would even pay for me to live in a home until I die.

I did not go from a 1st world country to a third world, I merely exchanged two second world countries.

You have 3 problems with your post.

1 You have no facts so you generalise.

2 You moralise.

3 If you are not Thai who are you to say where and how people live and what they do?

I don't think that farangs that live in the boonies are there just because they are skint... as you will see from the posts that have been written, PLUS it is of no consequence where you live you still have to show the authorities that you have the required income each year to be able to stay.

I think there is a lot to be said for living in the boonies, my Wife is from a small villiage near Surat Thani and I would have no problems living there if thats where she wanted to live and maybee someday thats where we will end up when her Dad is older and needs looking after.

(Well thats thai custom,) She has no Sisters and her mother is long dead

No problems for me about being "The only Farang in the village" in fact I am sure it has a lot of plusses from the other posts I have read

Edited by ThaiPauly

Its worth noticing that the OP can't even be arsed to reply to those who have taken the time to reply. He seems obseesed by money especially rattling on about how rich he is and how poor everyone else is.

He's either a fantasist or a troll. Either way he's certainly an utter tosser!

Farangs living in remote area's... not good, full of old farang beggars.. definately not the place any farang would really want to be, not with there being nice cities to live in ... My advice is, you're better off in the City ! :o

totster :D

OP does not give a location and I notice that he is most active in the Farang Pub - fun, entertainment and Expat life section. Maybe he is a "2 weeks in Pattaya per year" expat.

BTW mono have you ever heard of Khon Kaen or Udon Thani ?

Am I jealous of someone who marries a prostitute? Ummm no... But good luck to all who have, live and let live I say :D :D

Be careful, the love of your life may have had a very 'chequered' past, which you may not know anything about - This is Thailand. You may be 'throwing stones' without knowing you are in a 'glass house'. :o