Tablets And Battery Times

What is the best tablets about for both quality and battery times.

I am looking to get a couple for kids soon.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7.7 and while I personally find it to small for websites, it is ok for other things. The next size up is too big for portability though I would think.

I do not want any of the cheap models, I want quality for all the good things they offer and reliability, but not bothered with name alone as if I was I would just buy an ipad.

Problem with the 7.7 is battery life, it sucks, if you use it a lot during the day it is flat by night. If using a lot I find about 8 hours or less does it and I think that sucks in this day and age.

Hope someone can help.

Battery life ratings need to be taken with a big grain of salt....seems the manufacturers of any device that uses batteries come up with the battery life rating based on ways the typical owner just would "not" use the device. Anyway, when googling quite a few sites come up which rate battery life and give comparison to other tablets....here's one such site: Link. It rates the Samsung 7.7 quite high on the list with a 13 hour battery life....probably another unrealistic battery life/test.

I think you need to choose an "eco-system": Android or iOS.

If Android, choose a unit which has the largest battery capacity (mAh). In theory a name-brand tablet may have a better quality battery.

Consider an external battery pack. I use an Anker Astro 3E (10,000 mAh).

I get about 12 hours of video playback on my SGS Tab 10.1/7510 (non-removable, 7,000 mAh battery), as measured on a trip back to the U.S.

I guess you will have a hard time finding a tablet that exceeds 8-9 hours of continious usage.

Up to 15 hrs with Asus Eee Pad Transformer when used with docking/keyboard.

Again that's down to usage; I can kill my TF700T between Doha and Bangkok (about 7 hours) if I use it heavily.

I always get more than 13 hours of use with my Apple mini ipad with WIFI always on and occasionally 3G on. The rest of the time I leave it on standby, more than 26 hours. I am very satisfied with this mini ipad but I hate Apple management software and synchronisation via itune. I am generally a Windows user but now forced to use Apple due to the quality of their product. My main objection with Apple is the absence of a "My Document" type of storage.

• Like 1

I have a Samsung note 10.1 and my wife an Ipad retina. She gets much longer battery life than I do. You must also remember that it's not only the visible apps you running that eats battery life but also things like auto app updates, GPS etc. With heavy use I get +-8 hours and she gets +-10 hours. Another option would be to buy an emergency battery charger/inverter, this gives me an additional +- 6 hours.

Bought me a powerpack from Amazon; 5000 mA works great and extends user-time several hours.

Higher caps are also available; it's approx. the size of a cigarette-package(more weight though) and I think paid about € 35 for it.

And for ease of transferring data(movies, music etc) would you still choose Apple?

Or is it easier to transfer using a micro sd card which many Android devices have?

Please give me your expert thoughts on this as I really would like to know what you think.

I got a Samsung Note 8 recently and battery life is pretty decent. Its 8 inches with S-Pen functionality. I would imagine Ipad or Ipad mini having longer battery life. Price 15,200. You can get ipad mini for that price. I just didn't want to be restricted by iOs. And i want phone function on it hence went for the samsung.

got my son an Acer Iconia B tab for 3,990. Pretty decent processing power on games and good battery life. Perfect for the kids. good built too. But no back cam.

Edited by tigerbeer

And for ease of transferring data(movies, music etc) would you still choose Apple?

Or is it easier to transfer using a micro sd card which many Android devices have?

Please give me your expert thoughts on this as I really would like to know what you think.

Nope apple is bad for movies and music.. any android tablet will beat it there.

I love my ipad.. I had an iphone to but went to samsung s3.. so much easier for transfering files and such. Aple is smooth and nice but their limitations are bad.

• 2 weeks later...