Thailand Ranks As The Ninth Most Terrorism Prone Country

webfact

I find it hard to belief that the great USA is not even listed .... every day some idiot discharges his/her gun in a school or at a march, of flies a jet into a tall building or sings country and western songs....

What's singing Country and Western songs got to do with terrorism? Was johnny Cash, George Jones or Merle Haggard terrorists?

Has anyone got a sense of humour that possum could borrow for a bit?

Theres nothing funny about terrorism and I certainly don't have a sense of humor where that's concerned. I don't think relatives of the people murdered in the London bombings or Twin Towers would have either.

• Like 2

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to belief that the great USA is not even listed .... every day some idiot discharges his/her gun in a school or at a march, of flies a jet into a tall building or sings country and western songs....

What's singing Country and Western songs got to do with terrorism? Was johnny Cash, George Jones or Merle Haggard terrorists?

Theres nothing funny about terrorism and I certainly don't have a sense of humor where that's concerned. I don't think relatives of the people murdered in the London bombings or Twin Towers would have either.

Sometimes you just have to laugh at life.

My thinking is somewhat along the lines of bkkgriz. A week or so ago I was talking with my wife and told her that if the "militants" down south really wanted to make a point, forget bombing targets in the south and set their sights on BKK. Start having those bombs going on there for a week, and I guarantee that it would get the attention of the government.

• Like 1

It's a bit misleading naming a whole country as terrorist prone.

Not at all . Rampant terrorism exist and has been so for some time and the Government does nothing and even refuses to acknowledge that terrorism exists in Thailand.. With the south of the country in near civil war they are quite correct to make the statement that Thailand is terrorist prone. The key in this statement is "PRONE" which in my opinion is an indictment on the Thai Authorities inability to control such activity .

I have often wondered why there have not been more attacks in Bangkok. It would seem that if you want to move the agenda ahead, that being seperatism, you would start attacking the head, Bangkok. The government seems to be fine with the problems in the south, as long as they stay in the south. Will we see more attacks in the capital in the future?

Don't believe their has even been one terrorist attack in BKK associated with the issues in the deep South, or for that matter any other areas of Thailand other than the Southern provinces

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102012/Bangkok-terrorism-threat-Iranian-bombers-WERE-planning-attack-Israeli-diplomats.html

So I guess this was associated with other issues ... a rather dubious distinction I'd say. Notice how the 'I' word is carefully avoided in the OP article. Did Thailand get a relatively lower ranking due to it's high-security and law enforcement capabilities, I wonder? Or is it that it suffers from a serious terrorism-gap on a volume basis (transportation sector excluded, of course)?

The report in the OP refers to the deep South. The article you posted is in relation to alledged Iranian state sponsored terrorism against Embassy targets in BKK, so yes a seperate "issue"

Bulldog Yoobumroong will be up and biting some ankles

I think they give him a new stick to chomp down on every morning these days.

Shouldn't the headline read "Southern Thailand................ prone area"

Little bit skewed to state the whole country.

Only appears that way to us, because we know the truth!!

Another reason Isaan is good.

Of course it is.....with the benign belief that "we're Buddhist so we don't confront anybody" attitude it's a recipe disaster, for being run over....let's see - most Islamic countries grow poppies while their people are starving for susistance. While the Islamic "Empire" grows.

Meanwhile Thialand is a veritable horn of plenty food production wise and a pacifistic society just waiting to be trod over. The march of Islamic intent is slow and persistent as the march for acceptance and understanding/enlightenment is constant and ongoing. Guess which one gets lost in history.

In the larger scheme of things there is a reason why the Islamic Jihadists are slowly gaining land mass after land mass after land mass ......... they have the will and the persistence (and growing numbers) to overwhelm and capture.

There is a real danger in what is happening now in the south.......

Wake up and smell the Lamb Kabobs

Congrats on the rant, now look up the Thai Buddhist nationalist slogan "Nation, Religion and King".You might change your opinion on Thai pacifism.

Why ?

Do we see news report of terrorist attacks in north Afghanistan or do they just say Afghanistan ? Why then do you expect a headline saying Southern Thailand, its not a separate country.

• Like 1

the terrorist in the south have not spread to other areas of Thailand because they are hoping the thais finally give up and leave. when they realize the thais are not leaving all hell throughout thailand may go up in smoke. 500+ soldiers and policemen killed, 270 defense volunteers,

civilians 5,469 killed, 9,653 wounded

. the number of dead and wounded in the south are staggering, and knowing the thais also drastically under reported .

I wonder if you would be laughing if you were lying in the street with no legs Whybother.

I am sure I wouldn't be at the time. But I'd be pretty disappointed if I stopped laughing for the rest of my life if it did happen.

Edited by whybother

Thailand is ranked #9? What about the 80% of african countries that are dangerous?

also no Burma or Indonesia?

African countries aren't dangerous because of terrorism. They're dangerous because of crime.

But Chalerm said those in the south were not terrorists! And those that tried to burn down central were not terrorists. When will the rest of the known world get around to seeing the same as Thailand? That's why Chalerm said farangs know nothing of Thailand whistling.gif

And Thailand knows nothing about the world beyond it's boarders, 18th century Chalerm

Why ?

Do we see news report of terrorist attacks in north Afghanistan or do they just say Afghanistan ? Why then do you expect a headline saying Southern Thailand, its not a separate country.

Never been to Afghanistan, probably never will, but I expect that one part of Afghanistan is pretty much like any other, happy to be corrected by anyone with experience.

The three southern provinces of Thailand are considerably different to the rest of the country, and I didn't suggest that it is a separate country, I said 'prone area'

Edited by Thaddeus

Of course it is.....with the benign belief that "we're Buddhist so we don't confront anybody" attitude it's a recipe disaster, for being run over....let's see - most Islamic countries grow poppies while their people are starving for susistance. While the Islamic "Empire" grows.

Meanwhile Thialand is a veritable horn of plenty food production wise and a pacifistic society just waiting to be trod over. The march of Islamic intent is slow and persistent as the march for acceptance and understanding/enlightenment is constant and ongoing. Guess which one gets lost in history.

In the larger scheme of things there is a reason why the Islamic Jihadists are slowly gaining land mass after land mass after land mass ......... they have the will and the persistence (and growing numbers) to overwhelm and capture.

Congrats on the rant, now look up the Thai Buddhist nationalist slogan "Nation, Religion and King".You might change your opinion on Thai pacifism.

Didn't mean for you to stub your pacifistic big toe......I'm am pointing out the difference between two ideologies....one not comprehending what/why is taking place and one knowing exactly where they are going and how to go about it. One march has never been stymied over the centuries and is actively growing in our lifetime - as we watch.

I agree- the Thai's can be fierce, I would like to see it start happening in the name of Nation, Religion, and King and drive this rabble away. I also think as time marches on if the south is not made an example of how to stop this the tide will march on. It was a national Thai leader about a month back that couldn't comprehend why this was happening in and to a society that posed no threat - and that is precisely why it is happening and will continue to.

amazing that Afghanistan doesn't make the top 10 -

(or maybe they've missed one out as there are only 9 countries listed in the top 10!)

India, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Somalia, Syria, Thailand and Yemen.

According to Aon, the top-10 countries at risk from terrorism are, in

order, Afghanistan, India, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Somalia,

Syria, Thailand and Yemen.

I assume they are basing this on the South of Thailand problems

Didn't mean for you to stub your pacifistic big toe......I'm am pointing out the difference between two ideologies....one not comprehending what/why is taking place and one knowing exactly where they are going and how to go about it. One march has never been stymied over the centuries and is actively growing in our lifetime - as we watch.

I agree- the Thai's can be fierce, I would like to see it start happening in the name of Nation, Religion, and King and drive this rabble away. I also think as time marches on if the south is not made an example of how to stop this the tide will march on. It was a national Thai leader about a month back that couldn't comprehend why this was happening in and to a society that posed no threat - and that is precisely why it is happening and will continue to.

Public statements by Thai leaders need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I am sure they are well aware of the root causes of the conflict together with competing agendas across the various government agencies. Some saying they support autonomy for the deep South, some saying never etc For the moment it seems the Thai government is unsure as to who actually can make decisions within the eight or so different groups in the deep South - again this may be just misinformation.

EDIT: recently an editorial in the BKK Post, referenced that drug and other criminal gangs in the deep South are carying out many of the killings & to date the majority of victims are Thai Muslims, not Thai Buddhists.

Edited by simple1

I should think that if these idiots down south ever get their act together what's to save Bangkok or any Thai town or city from terrorist action? We have only been protected by the ineptitude of these local thugs!

It's a bit misleading naming a whole country as terrorist prone.

True but realistically there isn't very much to prevent the attacks from spreading to ANY other areas of the country. You see the capabilities and competence of police/military perhaps most greatly exemplified by MRT security. The magical flashlight that shines in your bag for 1 second.

But Chalerm said those in the south were not terrorists! And those that tried to burn down central were not terrorists. When will the rest of the known world get around to seeing the same as Thailand? That's why Chalerm said farangs know nothing of Thailand whistling.gif

Those 'terrorists' were still terrifying enough to persuade Chalerm's hotshot son to quit the army in case he was sent to the deep south where they actually shoot back.

I have often wondered why there have not been more attacks in Bangkok. It would seem that if you want to move the agenda ahead, that being seperatism, you would start attacking the head, Bangkok. The government seems to be fine with the problems in the south, as long as they stay in the south. Will we see more attacks in the capital in the future?

I believe so , I believe BKK and all the hot tourist spots will in future be targets . I really and sincerely hope that I am wrong on this one , fingers crossed !

(or maybe they've missed one out as there are only 9 countries listed in the top 10!)

That's some really distinguished company there.

And a sense of reality wouldn't hurt.