Retirement Visa Renewal

Hi could anyone assist me please ?

I am from the UK and been here for a few years on a non imm O retirement visa. Live in Hua Hin.

I now receive a pension of 1445 GBP per month and have five monthly bank stats showing that amount. Before that for the preceeding months it was 1398 per month. I think the requirement is 65000 baht per month, is that right ? How do immigration calculate that ? What I mean is what rate do they use to calculate the conversion ? Do I need to send all five stas to the Brit embassy, as I saw on the forum they only need 3 months or am I wrong ?

Also if it should transpire that my pension is not equal to or greater than 65000 baht a month on conversion then what happens ? Does the shortfall have to be made up.

If anyone can give me full chapter and verse on this I would be grateful as this is the first time I have had to renew this way.

Many thanks.

The rule is an income of 65,000 baht a month OR 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand for 3 months (first time 2 months) OR a combination of yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand together totaling 800,000 baht. So if you come short, you can make up the difference with money in a bank account in Thailand.

Thank you. Would you know how they convert the monthly pension so I can try to work out if my present amount equals the minimum monthly requirement ? Do they simply use the exchange rate applying on the day you turn up at the imm office or do they have a std rate they use to make the calculation. I am just trying to know whether on the present figure I am short or not.

They normally will ask you and if near the amount on that day accept it. If not they would use the rate published that day by major banks.

If using combination method you multiply the monthly amount by 12 and the amount short from 800k is what needs to be in bank account. This normally does not require seasoning so you should be able to top it up the day before if sudden change makes you short..

As I understand the law, you need to prove a usable and stable income of Baht 65,000 per month. This amount can be in a seasoned Thai bank account, or as a provable combination of an overseas income flow, supplemented by a Thai bank account.

Obviously, the Thai officials are going to look more favorably on a seasoned Thai account. In fact, the retirement laws are quite explicit ... just go by the rules (no shortcuts) and you should be fine. And for heaven's sake, don't be taken in by some of the whiny Farang posters in this regard. Thailand is more than fair ... they just don't want the bottom feeders, anymore than Great Britain, Australia, or Canada.

Good luck.

• Like 1

To play it safe a person should probably use the lowest Note rate since it's the lowest exchange rate of the various TT, Sight Bill, Check, etc., rates. However, I've seen posts where apparently the higher TT Buying Rate was accepted. Like I said, just to play it safe...

I was under the impression that a sworn statement and a moderate flowing bank balance was all that was required.

I have been here about a decade and have always used a sworn statement, with a bank letter, with a copy of the bank book pages for the last year. At times, the monthly deposits were well below the 65,000 requirement.

More recently, I have arranged for direct deposits to my Thai bank in an amount that exeeds the minimum.

However, I understand that if an amount equivalent to 65,000 Baht is transferred monthy to an account, removed to the originating bank bit by bit, but then redeposited as a lump sum, repeated monthly, that the resulting bank letter and bank book will show Immigration the values they want - actual income being unimportant..

I was under the impression that a sworn statement and a moderate flowing bank balance was all that was required.

I have been here about a decade and have always used a sworn statement, with a bank letter, with a copy of the bank book pages for the last year. At times, the monthly deposits were well below the 65,000 requirement.

More recently, I have arranged for direct deposits to my Thai bank in an amount that exeeds the minimum.

However, I understand that if an amount equivalent to 65,000 Baht is transferred monthy to an account, removed to the originating bank bit by bit, but then redeposited as a lump sum, repeated monthly, that the resulting bank letter and bank book will show Immigration the values they want - actual income being unimportant..

Only a few countries use the sworn statement, most embassies require proof of income for the letter to issue.

For countries using the sworn statement it is not unheard off that immigration doesn't take one's word for granted and asks for additional proof of income.

A monthly deposit in an account is not equal to an income.

Don't want to hijack your topic but I have a related question and can't see how I go about "posting " it, sorry to be so dumb!

Muzza. CNX

Click on the forum you want to post "Thai visas, residency and work permits" and click on start new topic at top right.

Edited by lopburi3

Only a few countries use the sworn statement, most embassies require proof of income for the letter to issue.

For countries using the sworn statement it is not unheard off that immigration doesn't take one's word for granted and asks for additional proof of income.

A monthly deposit in an account is not equal to an income.

I wonder how many have actually been ask to to provide more proof. I have never been asked and I don't know anyone who has except for the couple of posters here who claim they had do. That was a while back.

My experience each year at the Immigration Office in Ayutthaya is that the Immigration Officer uses the exchange rate published on www.xe.com. As such, I get a very favorable exchange rate, much better than even the T/T rate from Siam Commercial Bank, the bank where I have my account. I've seen him/her go online and check this website several times when renewing my extension of stay. If I was asked by the Immigration Officer what the current ROE is, I would quote him/her the xe.com published rate, which I always check just before entering the Immigration Office.