Schools

Hello Folks

Can anyone post up some names of good schools? Where do you send your kids?

I'm looking for a school for a 5 year old Thai child who doesnt speak English.

The school doesnt need to be super expensive but she lessons taught in English with some good teachers would hit the spot.

Thanks

Hello Folks

The school doesnt need to be super expensive but she lessons taught in English with some good teachers would hit the spot.

Thanks

My adopted kid was 5 when we took her from her grandparents. Didn't speak a word of English. Enrolled her into reception at ISS, and low and behold, after 3 months I could have a decent conversation with her. After 6 months she was just as proficient in English as all the other kids in the class. Midway through the year she was moved up a class to year1 and now 5 years later she has transformed into a wonderful young lady, near the top of her class in all subjects, and with English literacy skills surpassing mine. Money well spent!!!

• Like 2

Why don't you use the search function ?

from OP

' Can anyone post up some names of good schools? Where do you send your kids?

Would a search function know where I send my kids ?

How long is apiece of string? Need a school for my kids.You have a couple of topics already running, no the search function would not know where to send your kids, only you know that & perhaps should specify it.wink.png

Here is a discussion about the international schools.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633848-international-school-of-samui/

Maybe not appropriate as your child does not speak English.

Are you looking for a private or public school?

This might be something for you (in Thai)

http://www.sjksamui.ac.th/

St Joeseph's is a good Thai school, all over Thailand. I'll take a looksi.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello Folks

Thanks

My adopted kid was 5 when we took her from her grandparents. Didn't speak a word of English. Enrolled her into reception at ISS, and low and behold, after 3 months I could have a decent conversation with her. After 6 months she was just as proficient in English as all the other kids in the class. Midway through the year she was moved up a class to year1 and now 5 years later she has transformed into a wonderful young lady, near the top of her class in all subjects, and with English literacy skills surpassing mine. Money well spent!!!

Great story and good on you too for being a proper dad. Nice one.

from OP

How long is apiece of string? Need a school for my kids.You have a couple of topics already running, no the search function would not know where to send your kids, only you know that & perhaps should specify it.wink.png

Dont really get the peice of string part. However, either way, the search function turns up one or two old threads. Dude, if you aren't going to add to the thread and just want to bicker with the posters, maybe best not to waste your time cause I dont think you are going to get a bite.

Cheers

With the roads being as dangerous as they are the OP should consider;

a) Finding a school &

B ) Finding a house close enough to avoid the need to drive.

The poor kids that go to St Joes from Chaweng have to get up before 6am, as do their parents. Sod that (& the journey) @ the age of 5!

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

from OP

Dont really get the peice of string part. However, either way, the search function turns up one or two old threads. Dude, if you aren't going to add to the thread and just want to bicker with the posters, maybe best not to waste your time cause I dont think you are going to get a bite.

Cheers

No sir, do not need a bite. Just get sick of people not being as.....d to do a bit of search, before bombarding the forum with all the questions.People will bend backwards to help, but try & help yourself first.

Now what would you like for breakfast & what toilet paper do you prefer?

• Like 2

a) Finding a school &

The poor kids that go to St Joes from Chaweng have to get up before 6am, as do their parents. Sod that (& the journey) @ the age of 5!

HTH

There are school buses all over the place bringing 1.000s of children to schools in the morning and back in the afternoon for a couple of quids. Nathon is just a 45' drive away. Poor kids?? What about kids in Bangkok or somewhere in the middle of hot rice fields in Isaan or on mountains in Chiang Mai or Alaska........

If you live next to St. Joseph you wake up 45' later, but you are in a city. So there would be no reason, actually, to live on Samui, if the distance between school and home is a primary concern.

Full marks to the OP clap2.gif

Easier for him to shoot off '20 questions', hijack the forum and then get us to do the work. The alternative is that the OP has to read lots of threads and do some research (like we do). So - he's a smart but lazy person. wai2.gif. Cannot fault that

a) Finding a school &

HTH

Is it really poor kids? Shit, that the best school where me and the Mrs currently have a crib! You are right though - I am looking for a house in Maenam nr Oonrak school.

No sir, do not need a bite. Just get sick of people not being as.....d to do a bit of search, before bombarding the forum with all the questions.People will bend backwards to help, but try & help yourself first.

Delicate little flower, aren't you Petal....to get sick of people on an anonymous internet forum is, well, a bit weird Oak.

If you had taken the time yourself to do a search of "samui schools" you would see why I started a new thread. Still, would it help if I apologised? Would you be less 'sick'? Would you then bend over for me and perhaps offer something of value rather than just bickering?

Bacon and eggs and a mug of splosh. Andrex, or course.

Easier for him to shoot off '20 questions', hijack the forum and then get us to do the work. The alternative is that the OP has to read lots of threads and do some research (like we do). So - he's a smart but lazy person. wai2.gif. Cannot fault that

Well, I suppose 2 trolls isn't too bad. I was really wondering why 5 posters have PMed me giving brilliant info but with 3 of them saying they'd prefer not to get bored, irritated etc discussing it on the forum.....now I kind of know why.

Check out the search function, ladies. I have, you should too. But I fear the bickering is more your bag.

Anyway, cheers all - Ive got what I need.

• Like 1

Search function is sloppy to say the least but I hear there is a software update soon... Don't know if it includes the search function but hope so. Things can change quite quickly which is one of the reasons for pinned topics such as http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/189375-latest-reports-of-getting-a-visa-in-the-region/

Well, I suppose 2 trolls isn't too bad. I was really wondering why 5 posters have PMed me giving brilliant info but with 3 of them saying they'd prefer not to get bored, irritated etc discussing it on the forum.....now I kind of know why.

Check out the search function, ladies. I have, you should too. But I fear the bickering is more your bag.

Did it not occurr to you that some/all of the 5 may in some way be connected to whatever school they have plugged whereas the rest are simply trying to help in a non biased manner? I too live in Maenam & have a novel way of finding property in the area, having done so myself, but your approach to others has persuaded me not to bother explaining how I did it.

Edited by evadgib

a) Finding a school &

HTH

There are school buses all over the place bringing 1.000s of children to schools in the morning and back in the afternoon for a couple of quids. Nathon is just a 45' drive away. Poor kids?? What about kids in Bangkok or somewhere in the middle of hot rice fields in Isaan or on mountains in Chiang Mai or Alaska........

If you live next to St. Joseph you wake up 45' later, but you are in a city. So there would be no reason, actually, to live on Samui, if the distance between school and home is a primary concern.

We send my girlfriend's 8 year old daughter to St.Joseph's. The mini-bus picks her up at 6.30am. Getting up at 6am each morning is no problem.

Thats a fair point.

When I first arrived in Samui in 93, I never thought there would be a 'city'.

Did it not occurr to you that some/all of the 5 may in some way be connected to whatever school they have plugged whereas the rest are simply trying to help in a non biased manner? I too live in Maenam & have a novel way of finding property in the area, having done so myself, but your approach to others has persuaded me not to bother explaining how I did it.

Yes, it did. But tell me, how could someone who is not connected to the school 'in some way' be able to offer much insight?

One of the posters has kids at OonRak, another at the Samui int school - there opinions were very valuable. Two others have a friend who's kids attend one of these and another school and the other knew nothing but offered to help. I doubt very much that the schools have their teachers commissioned to troll the forum hoping to hook a new kid!

Oh, how will I manage without your 'novel way'? lol.

We send my girlfriend's 8 year old daughter to St.Joseph's. The mini-bus picks her up at 6.30am. Getting up at 6am each morning is no problem.

I send two of my nephews there in another part of Thailand. I thought it was alright.

Getting up at 6am in Samui is a joy. Perfect time for a swim.

@SJohnson #22

Yes, it did. But tell me, how could someone who is not connected to the school 'in some way' be able to offer much insight?

One of the posters has kids at OonRak, another at the Samui int school - there opinions were very valuable. Two others have a friend who's kids attend one of these and another school and the other knew nothing but offered to help. I doubt very much that the schools have their teachers commissioned to troll the forum hoping to hook a new kid!

Schools in the private sector were until recently trying very hard to score points off each other by dropping each other in it (WP,Accreditation etc). Thankfully the practice hasn't surfaced of late.

Your posts suggest you have Alan Sugar, Richard Branson & the bloke with the shreadded wheat on his head on speed dial so i'm sure you'll manage:)

Edited by evadgib

@SJohnson #22

Schools in the private sector were until recently trying very hard to score points off each other by dropping each other in it (WP,Accreditation etc). Thankfully the practice hasn't surfaced of late.

>

Your posts suggest you have Alan Sugar, Richard Branson & the bloke with the shreadded wheat on his head on speed dial so i'm sure you'll manage:)

Ah, so we have the international schools infiltrating Thai visa to score points and undermine eachother, righto. You aren't one of those TEFL teachers are you?

Yeh, I'm actually thinking of calling in Alan to help me persuade you to debrief on your novel ways. LOL.laugh.png

i sent my son to st joseph for one year when he was 7 and it was a great move in terms of teaching him Thai manners other than that it was a lost year, his mother did most of his home work and i was out of the loop. there were 45 children in his class and getting him to school by 7:30 from ban rak made that the year from hell for me. I have no skin in the game for the school in menam all i know is what i have heard from happy families who have children that want their children to learn both Thai and English, they say the education is good and the facilities and price is too. I did put both my children in lamai even though i live in ban rak because it is the oldest school on the island and i did not want to deal with the growing pains of blue water at the end of the day SCL was great value for money.

Edited by maccaroni man
  • Like 1