Thailand Shortlisted For Hosting Formula E Championship

webfact

Thailand shortlisted for hosting race
The Nation

30206395-01_big.jpg
Chiruit Israngkun Na Ayuthaya of the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau, left, Pol Maj-General Lattasanya Piansomparn, adviser to the minister of energy, second right, and Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E Holdings, right

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has been selected as a candidate to host the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile's new Formula E Championship next year, which the country hopes would boost gross domestic product and tourism revenue, especially in the MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions) industry, if its bid is successful.

This motor-racing event will mark the fully electric Formula E car's first appearance in Asia, and would also be held in honour of His Majesty the King's 86th birthday. Formula E Holdings (FEH) plans to roadshow the new racing car this year.

Chiruit Israngkun Na Ayuthaya, director of domestic MICE, Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau, said the FIA Formula E Championship in Bangkok would help economic growth and generate tourism revenue for the country, especially in the MICE industry and economic activities related to motor sport.

Earlier this year, FEH presented the FIA with a preliminary list of eight cities - London, Rome, Los Angeles, Miami, Beijing, Putrajaya, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro - selected as candidates to host races for the inaugural Formula E season. Now FEH has added Bangkok to the latest list. One more country is slated to be included; Singapore and Indonesia have been shortlisted as candidates.

The Formula E cars are being built by Spark Racing Technology. They feature ease of control, futuristic design, low-cost production and low weight while ensuring safety. Tyres are supplied by Michelin.

Formula E intends to serve as a framework for research and development of electric vehicles and accelerate general interest in EVs for personal use.

Pol Maj-General Lattasanya Piansomparn, adviser to the minister of energy, said: "In 2012, total production, local sales, and exports of cars all reached new highs. Close to 2.5 million cars [were produced], breaking a 50-year-old record."

The Thai car industry is on the way to becoming one of the top 10 auto producers in the world. Government policy is to promote Thailand as the Asean hub of automotive production, and its 2012-16 master plan for the automotive industry is to formulate development strategies for sustainable growth of the industry, especially following the global trends towards clean energy.

These trends were instrumental in Thailand being chosen as a candidate to host the new FIA Formula E Championship, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-18

Let's hope they've learned from their stupid mistakes of the '90s when they shot themselves in the foot over an attempt to get into the F1 championship and F1 simply went over the border to Malaysia where it all fell into shape. Somehow I doubt they will have learned anything.

thailand should host something different in the racing field such as a world tuk-tuk circuit racing & tuk-tuk drag race event, or

a water buffalo racing competition somewhat like house/dog racing, pretty sure this will draw some attention.

• Like 1

I wonder what the atmosphere will be like at the circuit, watching silent E cars going round & round. No roar of F1 cars. Or will they play that over the PA system?

They can add the sounds in just like they do with the canned laughter and pings and pongs in the thai comedy shows.

Comedy show ?

• Like 1

I wonder what the atmosphere will be like at the circuit, watching silent E cars going round & round. No roar of F1 cars. Or will they play that over the PA system?

They can add the sounds in just like they do with the canned laughter and pings and pongs in the thai comedy shows.

Or like the new Lexus 300H. :rolleyes:

Or like the new Lexus 300H. rolleyes.gif

They can get advice from a Swiss TV station which admitted that at a football match last week there was disappointment with the attendance so they dubbed in loud crowd noises to liven up the atmosphere.

and the majority of Thai people will not give 2 shites about this unless there are Thai drivers in the race(S)

Thailand lack of enthusiasm has been shown in the recent past. futsal with empty stadiums come to mind

Some years ago there was an indoor tennis tournament in Bangkok with lots of big names playing. When the final was played most of the VIP boxes at court side level were empty and it was later admitted that many of the people who had been given the corporate freebie tickets were more than satisfied to have them and be able to boast but actually going was not a consideration. As usual all about face.

• Like 1

thailand should host something different in the racing field such as a world tuk-tuk circuit racing & tuk-tuk drag race event, or

a water buffalo racing competition .

Already done....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9640303/Annual-water-buffalo-race-gets-underway-in-Thailand.html

Ahhhh yes, the smell of the runners and roar of the crowd smile.png

Seems doomed to failure. And how do they plan to re-charge the batteries during a pit stop? I heard something about wireless charge. I don't think the fan's pucker level will be very high. No engine noise = low excitement.

• Like 1

Seems doomed to failure. And how do they plan to re-charge the batteries during a pit stop? I heard something about wireless charge. I don't think the fan's pucker level will be very high. No engine noise = low excitement.

The guys in the video doesn't seem to be very excited either.

• Like 1

Part of the thrill or atmosphere of motor racing is the noise of the exhausts and engines.

Formula One cars are noisy, but a big bore V8 Nascar unit is orgasmic.

Electric cars, a bit like comparing electric trains to steam engines.

• Like 2

I think this will be fantastic, especially for the e-motor industry. If your normal 4 wheeled electric box gets as much from this as your 4 wheeled petrol / diesel box did from F1 racing it might actually make them a viable form of transport in the future. The only trouble is , here in Thailand they will not be testing battery low temp low power delivery problems, but at least they will be testing cooling systems for electric motors.

Edited by Buckaroo
  • Like 1

I think this will be an interesting idea. I remember the first time I saw electric drag racing maybe 10 years ago. There was initial excitement because it was something so different and made no noise except for the tire squeal. Formula E is already a real deal. The topic of this thread is really that Thailand now has an opportunity to host a race in this new racing format. I see absolutely no negatives to that announcement at all. I don't understand all the complaining for a new type of motorsports that has been in the works for years. People will truly complain about anything.

• Like 1