Sentence Of The Day Club

stevehaigh

i have an idea that is a bit different to the sentence builder thread above. the idea is to think of a real world sentence, not some obscure example from a news article using words you will rarely use, but something you are likely to say in general conversion, but not something that is too basic; i'm aiming for an intermediate level. try introduce a new word or sentence construct too if possible. sentences should include Thai script please.

my first example is:

i wonder when it will stop raining

ฉัน/ผม สงสัยว่ามันจะหยุดตก

chanR sohngR saiR waaF manM jaL yootL dtohkL

my idea is to keep discussion to minimum and just keep the sentences coming. anyone want to join in?

Edited by stevehaigh

perhaps post a link to www.thai2english.com. to do that please copy and paste this "http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=" followed by your thai text

http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=ผมสงสัยว่ามันจะหยุดตก

i wonder when it will stop raining

ฉัน/ผมสงสัยว่ามันจะหยุดตก

http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=ผมสงสัยว่ามันจะหยุดตก

Edited by stevehaigh

Shouldn't there be rain (ฝน) somewhere in the sentence?

e.g.

ผม สงสัย ว่า มัน จะ หยุด ฝน ตก

Edited by JetsetBkk

e.g.

Good question. Otherwise it seems like มัน could be anything that's falling if the context is not understood.

Regarding the OP, I think it's a great idea.

Lets say someone asks you to do something, your partner asks you to

take out the trash for instance. You could answer with;

มือเท้าก็ไม่ได้พิการซักหน่อย ทำไมทำเองไม่ได้ก็ไม่รู้

You’re not a cripple, I don’t know why you can’t do it yourself.

I have an audio clip here and it sounds like more like ซะหน่อย than ซักหน่อย

to my ear. Anybody know if ซะหน่อย would work?

yourenotcrippled.mp3

e.g.

This is not correct.

It think this would be better than the original post, because it doesn't use มัน:

ผมสงสัยว่าเมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตก

But the original post is, in my opinion not incorrect, because it's understood มัน is ฝน.

The word เมื่อไร is missing in the original post (to make it match with the suggested translation).

I don't think Thai people would use สงสัยว่า (in speaking language) in this context, although it's not incorrect, it just sounds strange to me in this context. I wonder what a native speaker would think about this. I have heard things like this:

เมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตกเนี่ย

เมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตกซะที

เมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตกเสียที

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifyourenotcrippled.mp3

"ซะหน่อย" gives a lot of hits in google, all in the meaning of "สักหน่อย".

So, it's correct.

By the way, สัก is usually pronounced as ซัก, so the step to ซะ is really small.

e.g.

This is not correct.

It think this would be better than the original post, because it doesn't use มัน:

But the original post is, in my opinion not incorrect, because it's understood มัน is ฝน.

The word เมื่อไร is missing in the original post (to make it match with the suggested translation).

I don't think Thai people would use สงสัยว่า (in speaking language) in this context, although it's not incorrect, it just sounds strange to me in this context. I wonder what a native speaker would think about this.

So how do you think Thai people would express the thought in the original sentence?

ไม่ทราบว่าเมื่ิอไรฝนจะหยุดตก ? Not quite the same

e.g.

This is not correct.

I don't think Thai people would use สงสัยว่า (in speaking language) in this context, although it's not incorrect, it just sounds strange to me in this context. I wonder what a native speaker would think about this.

So how do you think Thai people would express the thought in the original sentence?

I think people would not say they wonder, because asking the question already implies they wonder.

I think they would just add a เนี่ย the express they wonder: เมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตกเนี่ย

ไม่ทราบว่าเมื่ิอไรฝนจะหยุดตก

is not correct, because it would mean you're asking someone to answer the question....

Edited by kriswillems

Cripple? Really? Sounds like a discriminatory insult. Not so good...

e.g.

This is not correct.

The OP didnt make it clear if he was asking a question of just expressing his thoughts.

คุณคิดว่าเมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตก is how I would ask the question.

I think people would not say they wonder, because asking the question already implies they wonder.

Agree with what Kris has written above.

คิดถึงเมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตก, is how I would say I am thinking about when the rain will stop.

I do apologize for forgetting all about the new world order of political correctness. Allow me to change the translation to:

Your hands and feet are not the least bit handicapped, why you can't do it yourself, I don't know.

ฉัน/ผม สงสัยว่ามันจะหยุดตก

This means that you suspect that it will stop raining. Assumption is that this snippet of a conversation is referring to the weather, so no need to add ฝน. It is not an accurate translation of your original sentence.

Your original sentence is more of a rhetorical question than one posed to another so you could ask it like this:
เมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตก you could add "na" to the end to soften it and to make it answerable or not. I don't know how to spell "na" and suck at typing thai. I'd spend three minutes looking for a "น"...or more. I think it would be like this though : นาะ correct??

I do apologize for forgetting all about the new world order of political correctness. Allow me to change the translation to:

Your hands and feet are not the least bit handicapped, why you can't do it yourself, I don't know.

Still not a nice thing to say to you partner unless you are just joking. Not about political correctness, just about being nice. Personally I would answer with "khrup".

It's just poor pronunciation because she is speaking so fast. You would spell it the way it is supposed to be spelled.

the intent of my original post 'i wonder when it will stop raining' was meant not as a question, more of a musing since no one knows when it will stop raining. i guess rain was omitted in my answer because when i asked the wife, it was currently raining so that was implied.

here's another

ฉัน/ผม น่าจะซื้อของดีกว่านี่ แค่เพิ่มเงินอีกนิดหน่อย - i should have paid a bit more and got a better (quality) one

http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=น่าจะซื้อของดีกว่านี่

http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=แค่เพิ่มเงินอีกนิดหน่อย

my wife isn't that great at translating so maybe this isn't perfect

Edited by stevehaigh

Started off too hard, too open to discussion, why not a bit less 'musing', more basic and useful around the house.

Can you put this in the fridge please (offering or indicating item in question).

เอาไป ไว้ ใน ตู้เย็น ครับ

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

คุณคิดว่าเมื่อไรฝนจะหยุดตก I would, perhaps, use a different word order, and since it is a 'musing' rather than a direct question, would probably use something like; ฝนจะหยุดเมื่อไรอะ

Ok, here's another sentence. It's an old Thai expression, but I think the feeling still lives on today:

เจองูกับเจอแขก ให้ตีแขกก่อน

Yeah, the old ones are the best.

There is usually an element of truth in a lot of these sayings, in todays PC world we aint allowed to discuss it.

"my idea is to keep discussion to minimum and just keep the sentences coming"

TV already has Sentence Builder. With all the comments and disagreements, it's confusing. One way to manage it on a forum is to have two separate sections. One for open discussion, the other (locked) for the top picks (linking to the discussion).

Ok, here's another sentence. It's an old Thai expression, but I think the feeling still lives on today:

There is usually an element of truth in a lot of these sayings, in todays PC world we aint allowed to discuss it.

Is it a secret?

Is it a secret?

Meet a snake and an Indian, hit the Indian first.

"my idea is to keep discussion to minimum and just keep the sentences coming"

TV already has Sentence Builder. With all the comments and disagreements, it's confusing. One way to manage it on a forum is to have two separate sections. One for open discussion, the other (locked) for the top picks (linking to the discussion).

actually, i kind of take that back about 'keep discussion to minimum'. i guess discussion is a good thing as there are many ways to express an idea in any language. if i just want sentences i could read a book, the good thing about TV is people can offer up alternate translations and explanations.

• Like 1

Is it a secret?

Meet a snake and an Indian, hit the Indian first.

Thanks. Google Translate came up with: "Snake with my guests before the guests hit." blink.png

The saying is a bit like:

"You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake and a lawyer. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do? Shoot the lawyer. Twice."

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 2

แขก = guest, foreigner, visitor OR person of south/south western Asian descent (Indian, Persian, Arab etc.)

For instance, my friend who works in a hotel/resort running Thai cooking classes, will often say to me on the phone (while she's waiting for the guests to arrive for her class) แขกยังไม่มา indicating that she has a few minutes to chat.

Either that, or she's saying that the Indians haven't turned up yet! laugh.png