How Do You Create An Adobe .pdf File?

mrbojangles

Guys and gals,

I am trying to creat a brochure to put on the internet.

Can anyone tell me how to save it as a .pdf file in Adobe? Do i create the file in Powerpoint, Word or Publisher first? Or do i have to create it in Adobe?

thanks for any help

MrBoj

Guys and gals,

Can anyone tell me how to save it as a .pdf file in Adobe? Do i create the file in Powerpoint, Word or Publisher first? Or do i have to create it in Adobe?

thanks for any help

MrBoj

If you have Adobe PDF Writer (Adobe Professional) it installs as a printer device. From any application just select the printer (Adobe PDF will show in the list) and print. It will ask you where and the name of the file you want. It will then create the .pdf file looking exactly as the application you printed it from.

I believe there are some free converters but will wait for someone to tell where.

Cheers Tywais and rio,

Rio can you be so kind as to talk me through the instructions on that site? It gives you options of the following:-

PDFCreator-0_9_0_AFPLGhostscript_32bit.msi 13670960 262613 i386 .msi (Windows installer)

PDFCreator-0_9_0_AFPLGhostscript.exe 10667398 309648 i386 .exe (32-bit Windows)

PDFCreator-0_9_0_GPLGhostscript.exe 11778429 74885 i386 .exe (32-bit Windows)

PDFCreator-0_9_0_Source.zip 2231620 22300 i386 Source .zip

PDFCreator-0_9_0_WithoutGhostscript.exe

And then it asks you to choose a "mirror" :o

Sorry for my "numbness" in this field :D But i could cook you a great Massaman Curry :D

MrBoJ

Cheers Tywais and rio,

Rio can you be so kind as to talk me through the instructions on that site? It gives you options of the following:-

PDFCreator-0_9_0_AFPLGhostscript_32bit.msi 13670960 262613 i386 .msi (Windows installer)

PDFCreator-0_9_0_AFPLGhostscript.exe 10667398 309648 i386 .exe (32-bit Windows)

PDFCreator-0_9_0_GPLGhostscript.exe 11778429 74885 i386 .exe (32-bit Windows)

PDFCreator-0_9_0_Source.zip 2231620 22300 i386 Source .zip

PDFCreator-0_9_0_WithoutGhostscript.exe

And then it asks you to choose a "mirror" :o

Sorry for my "numbness" in this field :D But i could cook you a great Massaman Curry :D

MrBoJ

Id go for the third one ending with .exe. Self executable file. Not sure about the AFPL and GPL difference though between the second and third one. GPL sounds more like an Open Source License (freeware). Mirrors are just different servers as to where the file is located. Choose a mirror closest to you is what they would say so that the transfer speed is faster. You can choose any mirror, it would give you the same file.

I'd like my Massaman Curry now :D

sorry groo - must have been typing at the same time there

no worries mr boj

1. click "download PDF Creator"

2. on the next page - click "download" for the PDF Creator

3. grab the first one - the msi (microsoft installer)

4. choose yourself somewhere to download from - i went to the bottom one in Kent - UK Mirror Service

any probs let me know

Ill hold you to that massman too - ive got a memory like a sh*thouse rat :o

Edited by rio666uk

while we are on the .pdf subject here, could someone tell me how to remove the "source" headers and footers that appear on an adobe document?

for instance, i change a .txt document to a .pdf, and at the bottom and top of every page of the .pdf it shows the location and title of the source document.

thanks!!

while we are on the .pdf subject here, could someone tell me how to remove the "source" headers and footers that appear on an adobe document?

for instance, i change a .txt document to a .pdf, and at the bottom and top of every page of the .pdf it shows the location and title of the source document.

thanks!!

have just converted a word doc into a *.pdf with the above mentioned pdf creator - i dont have any headers or footers... is it picking them up from the doc in its previous life as a txt document.

try saving the *.txt to a *.doc or *.rtf and then doing the *.pdf creation - see if that helps

Just in case, the differences between AFPL and GPL:

AFPL: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Public.htm

GPL: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

AFPL is more restrictive and apply mostly on printable and document files, when GPL is the common license used for most of the GNU softwares (GNU/Linux) and others. In case of doubt choose the GPL one. :o

thanks wallalai. wasnt sure about AFPL. I use GPL scripts on websites that i create. well now i know ! :D ..

"Now for my next question. Is it possible yet, to e-mail you guys the Massaman Curry The way technology is going, i bet it's not too long off "

Incidently my wife just cooked me some massaman yesterday! .. so even with the speed of internet these days. i wont want it for a month at least :D .. thanks for the offer though. maybe rio666uk might want some ! let me know how you got it through to him though.

Guys and gals,

thanks for any help

MrBoj

Excuse me,

But when you are creating a brochure for the internet should you not be using (X)HTML + CSS????

Or do you want to make a file that can be printed before it can be read easily. Defeats the whole purpose of the internet. How about search engines like google and Yahoo not indexing your 'brochure' because it is a pdf file. (This is the most important reason for not using pdf, nobody can find the information contained in that pdf)

I don't like 'lazy' designers that put up pdf files. Internet is not 'pixel' perfect, it is not a 'print' media so forget about 'print' design rules. Internet (HTML) content has to 'flow'. And use the capabilities of the browser and make the most of users equipment. It is a different approach as for 'print'. pdf is not a native format. And it has very frequent updates. Most pdf's are unreadable on a smaller sized screen. Not only you have to set the zoomlevel to 100% manually but have to scroll sideways to be able to read it. Very very annoying,

In HTML it just flows and will make the text longer. This way i only have to scroll downwards.

With the advice already givin you know how to make one. My advise is not to use it at all.

UP2U. :o

Look for some HTML+CSS designs on http://www.csszengarden.com/

It will give you a good impression of what is possible with standards. Also the ability to change the design without changing the content.

One could concider "relocation" to Open Office Suite. It's freeware. It can read and write documents in Microsoft Office formats and it can export to pdf format with just a few mouse clicks. It probably wouldn't appeal much to thoose who fully utililize the more advanced features of MSOffice, but it might appeal very much to those who've looked in vain for some particular options.

The suite can be downloaded from www.openoffice.org

One could concider "relocation" to Open Office Suite. It's freeware. It can read and write documents in Microsoft Office formats and it can export to pdf format with just a few mouse clicks. It probably wouldn't appeal much to thoose who fully utililize the more advanced features of MSOffice, but it might appeal very much to those who've looked in vain for some particular options.

The suite can be downloaded from www.openoffice.org

Highly reccomended. I'll never go back to MS Office.

cv