G P O Chief's Axing ' Not Political'

webfact

GPO chief's axing 'not political'
Suriyan Panyawai
The Nation

30206519-01_big.jpg
Witit

Board's probe was thorough, chairman says

BANGKOK: -- Pipat Yingseree, chairman of the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation, yesterday denied that politics was behind the sacking of Dr Witit Artavatkun as the GPO's managing director.

"The GPO board has issued a unanimous resolution to dismiss him based solely on his dereliction of duty," he said.

If Witit felt the move was illegitimate, he could petition the Central Administrative Court, he said.

Digging deeper into the GPO board's decision could affect Witit's image, he said.

"To reach the unanimous vote, GPO board members held extensive and comprehensive discussions on him," he said.

Even though deputy managing director Pisamorn Klinsuwan was involved in the Bt1.4-billion corruption scandal, that had no bearing on her appointment as acting managing director, he said.

"That offence was 14 years ago. She has been reprimanded and disciplined already," he said.

The board conducted a careful review before deciding to name Pisamorn as acting MD, he said.

Dr Vichai Chokevivat, the previous GPO chairman, accused the current board of failing to perform its role satisfactorily.

"The board in fact has the duty to work with moral integrity, resist political interference and ensure justice for all sides," he said.

"Witit's dismissal was clearly politically motivated," he said.

The board had called an urgent meeting last Friday instead of waiting until May 23 as scheduled because Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong would soon fly out of the country, he said.

Witit told him a few weeks ago that Pradit was trying to force him into returning all 148 tonnes of a precursor for paracetamol production to the supplier even though the contamination was not detected at delivery, but later during storage.

"Pradit gave a verbal order, making it difficult for Witit. According to the contract, the supplier will just provide a replacement," he said.

Witit also told him that chairman Pipat had threatened to fire him for not agreeing to transfer Bt75 million from the GPO to the Public Health Ministry.

"The GPO is supposed to transfer the funds to the National Health Security Office. That's

why Witit refused to oblige," he said.

Witit could choose to file a lawsuit against the termination order to protect his dignity, he said.

Vichai is also feeling the heat after the Department of Special Investigation found him complicit in the paracetamol precursor procurement scandal. "I have requested a copy of the investigation report from the DSI but to date it has not given me one," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-20

If he was should he not be retained?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It was shown that he wasn't doing his job

"It was shown." Really? by whom? I would suggest the possibility of "folk with vested interests" leaning toward removing the wrench in the gears of their "vested interests". IMO the possibility does exist w/o much imagination.

"It was shown." Really? by whom? I would suggest the possibility of "folk with vested interests" leaning toward removing the wrench in the gears of their "vested interests". IMO the possibility does exist w/o much imagination.

You may suggest all you wish, but re-read the article - it does show he didn't do do his job

You may suggest all you wish, but re-read the article - it does show he didn't do do his job

There are two and maybe three sides to every story. I prefer my own perspective as do you. Doesn't necessasarily make either of our views gospel.

There are two and maybe three sides to every story. I prefer my own perspective as do you. Doesn't necessasarily make either of our views gospel.

All we have to go on are the facts in this case - and there are facts of non-completion of projects - this points to non-fulfillment of scope . . . ergo sum . . . he didn't do his job.

When you have something that proves he did do his job as per his scope then you may call me up as being incorrect

If government ministers were sidelined on the basis of failing to do a good job or dereliction of duty who would be left? Thaksin would have to run the country by himself.

Which, come to think of it.............whistling.gif

"

I

All we have to go on are the facts in this case - and there are facts of non-completion of projects - this points to non-fulfillment of scope . . . ergo sum . . . he didn't do his job.

When you have something that proves he did do his job as per his scope then you may call me up as being incorrect

Never said you were "incorrect" mate, only that there may be other options to view. I respecfully delete myself from further discourse. Cheers, dap

Obviously, GPO has a lot of high level people really doing a standup job for the Thai public...

Even though deputy managing director Pisamorn Klinsuwan was involved in the Bt1.4-billion corruption scandal, that had no bearing on her appointment as acting managing director, he said.

"That offence was 14 years ago. She has been reprimanded and disciplined already," he said.

They already have a current 1.4 billion baht controversy over a vaccine plant underway in Saraburi that hasn't been completed despite being two years past its original deadline.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632500-flu-vaccine-plant-saraburi-d-s-i-agrees-to-look-into-irregularities/

But the OP here appears to be talking about some OTHER 1.4 billion corruption scandal with GPO 14 years ago???

There was this reference in an article a couple of days ago...quoting the GPO board chairman:

He also denied allegations the new interim GPO chief, Ms Pisamorn, was once found guilty of drug malfeasance in 1997. The incident was more than 15 years ago and Ms Pisamorn received only a warning, he said.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK