Things That Grate On You In Pattaya....

blackman

foreigners in Pattaya who blindly defend all Thai people and all things Thai

Are there such people??

on this very forum

I wouldn't have thought anyone would blindly defend anything. Perhaps they're posting objectively based on their experience of living here and knowing Thai people?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there such people??

on this very forum

I wouldn't have thought anyone would blindly defend anything. Perhaps they're posting objectively based on their experience of living here and knowing Thai people?

perhaps...

Motorbike riders moving off --that run over my toes because they wont dam_n wait 2 seconds for me to walk past angry.png

Motorbike riders who park their bikes sideways across a footpath and then walk off.

People who kick off their shoes right in front of the door instead of leaving them to one side.

motorbike riders who fill a space intended for a car

Car drivers who fill a space that could allow 10 motorbike riders to park.

• Like 2

Motorbike riders moving off --that run over my toes because they wont dam_n wait 2 seconds for me to walk past angry.png

Motorbike riders who park their bikes sideways across a footpath and then walk off.

People who kick off their shoes right in front of the door instead of leaving them to one side.

motorbike riders who fill a space intended for a car

Car drivers who fill a space that could allow 10 motorbike riders to park.

maybe 20 , the way they interlock them together

Are there such people??

on this very forum

Perhaps they're just winding people up? I'd take Thais with all their quirks over whinging foreigners any day. The foreigners have the freedom to leave.

People who defend any stupidity, bad service or rudeness to me by saying This is Thailand you must respect our/their culture. And then do not respect mine.

It's not a fair comparison. You choose to live in their world, you're the outsider. It's probably exactly the same back in your homeland toward Thais or Asians in general.

There's something refreshing about (some) Thai people's contempt toward foreigners - they don't hide it... even if they're supposed to in a business environment. At least you know exactly what they're thinking.

Never lose sight of the fact that Pattaya is a city built on the sex-trade. Just being here makes you a sex-tourist/sexpat, even if you're not. You're the lowest of foreigners by default.

What rose tinted rubbish!! Where I live does not define me, except in the narrow minded view of Pattaya haters (plenty of threads about this). And there is nothing refreshing about racism. It is what it is, ugly hatred. That may refresh you but it does not me.

But more pertinently and keeping to the thread; stupidity, bad service and rudeness is not a Thai character trait, it is an individual choice so don't hide behind culture or me not understanding the culture. That is what grates.

People who defend any stupidity, bad service or rudeness to me by saying This is Thailand you must respect our/their culture. And then do not respect mine.

It's not a fair comparison. You choose to live in their world, you're the outsider. It's probably exactly the same back in your homeland toward Thais or Asians in general.

There's something refreshing about (some) Thai people's contempt toward foreigners - they don't hide it... even if they're supposed to in a business environment. At least you know exactly what they're thinking.

Never lose sight of the fact that Pattaya is a city built on the sex-trade. Just being here makes you a sex-tourist/sexpat, even if you're not. You're the lowest of foreigners by default.

This is very true. It doesn't matter what kind of person you are, when you live here you are labeled.

• Like 2

What rose tinted rubbish!! Where I live does not define me, except in the narrow minded view of Pattaya haters (plenty of threads about this)

Of course where you live in does not define you, but thing is, it defines how we are perceived. Not just by Thais, but also by foreigners, just mention that you live in Pattaya, and you get one of those looks, even in god forsaken Eastern Europe people have somehow learned that Pattaya = home of sexpats. And the louder I yell 'I'm Not There For That' the more they think Im are here for one reason only.

And if you talk to nice locals in Bangkok, the moment you mention Pattaya, there is a predictable 'oh'. This is changing little bit last couple of years at least in Bangkok, cos now they come here for weekends. 5 years ago it was better not to say to Bangkok people you live in Pattaya. That used to grade me, but not much

• Like 1

Are there such people??

on this very forum

posted on this forum within the last 24 hours:

“Wish they would delete threads slagging off Thailand and ALL Thais”

You want smokers to close the window and poison the passengers? Weird blink.png

Lack of action on all fronts of Jet Ski, Water problems, bad road surfaces etc.

But, life in Thailand is never going to be the same as 'back home' is it? So we move here, live here and make do. Is it not part of the adventure?

Close the window and poison themselves...preferable

What rose tinted rubbish!! Where I live does not define me, except in the narrow minded view of Pattaya haters (plenty of threads about this). And there is nothing refreshing about racism. It is what it is, ugly hatred. That may refresh you but it does not me.

But more pertinently and keeping to the thread; stupidity, bad service and rudeness is not a Thai character trait, it is an individual choice so don't hide behind culture or me not understanding the culture. That is what grates.

You could use some rose tinted glasses or pop a chill-pill. Obviously I'm not sugar coating the situation here as I'm seeing it for what it really is. Pattaya does define you in the minds of most people on the outside... I'm not concerned, because I don't care what others think, but for people like you with thin skin, leaving would be the best option.

Edited by tropo

What is your culture? Do you really expect the native population to respect the cultures of all their immigrants? It would be nice, but I can't think of any country where this happens!

• Like 2

What is your culture? Do you really expect the native population to respect the cultures of all their immigrants? It would be nice, but I can't think of any country where this happens!

<I can't think of any country where this happens>

You are kidding!!!!!!!!!

Western countries bend over backwards to kow tow to the "culture" of a certain group of immigrants.

Look at the move to ban "Christmas" decorations in the US as an example.

You are kidding!!!!!!!!!

Western countries bend over backwards to kow tow to the "culture" of a certain group of immigrants.

My point was about the native population not the government. I don't believe the Thai government has any problems with Christians celebrating Christmas in Thailand.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

You are kidding!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, by official policy only. That doesn't influence respect for immigrants... in fact it probably has the opposite effect and increases hatred.

Edited by tropo