Things That Grate On You In Pattaya....

blackman

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not specific to indians, i saw a white 70 year ole fart clumsy down a cake on the floor in

friendship supermarket,

then he picked it up, put in back on the shelf, and picked another cake that he hadnt drop on the floor

Indians in 7-11 getting the cashier to top up their mobiles and check on the phone balances, resulting in a massive cue. Are they so stupid they can't do it themselves?

Koreans and Chinese who have managed to escape their tour buses, who end up in 7-11 to slurp Mama noodles and microwave meals by the counter, making it impossible to squeeze past with a basket and pay without getting a face full of Tom Yam Gung!

Back onto Indians in 7-11, I hate it when people knock things off shelves, see it on the floor and just leave it there. Indians do this all the time, so I casually tap them on the shoulder and point at the item on the floor, casually mentioning "You knocked that off the shelf". Usually it gets ignored first time, but never the much louder second time with more gesticulation. The 7-11 staff in my local shop think this is highly amusing and it results in the most amazing beaming smiles from the poor buggers who have to put up with this shit for a pitance all day.

Don't be so harsh on those Indians.

Try to walk yourself between those narrow 7/11 aisles without knocking down something when your head wobbles constantly.

• Like 2

Indians in 7-11 getting the cashier to top up their mobiles and check on the phone balances, resulting in a massive cue. Are they so stupid they can't do it themselves?

Koreans and Chinese who have managed to escape their tour buses, who end up in 7-11 to slurp Mama noodles and microwave meals by the counter, making it impossible to squeeze past with a basket and pay without getting a face full of Tom Yam Gung!

Back onto Indians in 7-11, I hate it when people knock things off shelves, see it on the floor and just leave it there. Indians do this all the time, so I casually tap them on the shoulder and point at the item on the floor, casually mentioning "You knocked that off the shelf". Usually it gets ignored first time, but never the much louder second time with more gesticulation. The 7-11 staff in my local shop think this is highly amusing and it results in the most amazing beaming smiles from the poor buggers who have to put up with this shit for a pitance all day.

Amen Brother! At "my" local Family Mart the cashier is wise enough to direct the Indians to someone who is stocking the shelves to do top the minute code for them. I appreciate the clerks patience topping their mobile phones for them but when there is more than one person at the counter than needs his minutes put in, it is a long wait for us who are standing there to buy a couple of items. And yes, I have to show this particular group how to cue up. The cashiers appreciate it.

Edited by toenail

Amen Brother! At "my" local Family Mart the cashier is wise enough to direct the Indians to someone who is stocking the shelves to do top the minute code for them. I appreciate the clerks patience topping their mobile phones for them but when there is more than one person at the counter than needs his minutes put in, it is a long wait for us who are standing there to buy a couple of items. And yes, I have to show this particular group how to cue up. The cashiers appreciate it.

Indians can't queue. To them it's a strange and unfathomable concept.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Without going back thru the previous 18 pages has anybody mentioned those lovely chaps who stand in the middle of the footpath outside their tailoring shops to prevent you from passing and then shake your hand and not let it go and do not comprehend a polite "no thank you , i am not interested" and persist until they receive a "F-----off " and turns you back into grumpy old man mode again.

Just mutter some vaguely Russian sounding words, they soon bog off. Mind, that can have complications - did this and then a really fit Russian lass started asking me (I presume) for directions in Russian, looked completely flumoxed when I said I didn't understand her biggrin.png she walked off with her nose in the air like it some mortal insult had just been offered - or those bar girls aren't exactly being truthful in their descriptions of me when I walk past.

And glasses aren't that expensive here.

• Like 1

allowing a policeman to manually control the traffic light sequence

particularly on Sukhumvit Road / Pattaya Klang junction

an expert on traffic management was probably paid hundreds of thousands of baht to set up the sequence of lights to be the most beneficial to traffic flow

yet it all amounts to naught when left in the hands of a moron

• Like 1

Another thing that bugs me, are Thai woman (sorry, do not want to sound "stereotyping here...) who have to be on their cell phones all the time and cannot walk at a normal stance... then if they are on an escalator at the shopping plaza -such as Central, they stop right at the end on escalator talking on their phone without realizing people on the moving escalator behind them need to get off!

Happens all over asia. My solution is to just walk through them.

Fat, repulsive woman shop owner and her fat, repulsive adult daughter - selling suitcases etc on 2nd road - screaming at me in their fat, repulsive voices because I parked my m/cycle out front of their fat, repulsive store despite it being a public road. Bet they wouldn't have done it had I been Thai.

3. I hate the big 7 story monstrosity mall. I much prefer more smaller hotels or outdoor bars, local food shops etc.

Does the wife force you to go in there? xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

I spent 12k on a little black dress and a pair of pink jeans for the wife last week....not to mention 10's of thousands on shoes over the last few months xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png ....but that's OK. I still love the place and it's my go to mall for good quality stuff.

Oh you would disagree with anything I post, but that is OK. That mall has nothing that I need. I wear simple clothes, no jewelry. The land that building took up, could have in my opinion been better served by more smaller local places. I find it oxymoronic to go to a small beach town and then want or expect or need big fancy shopping malls.

3. I hate the big 7 story monstrosity mall. I much prefer more smaller hotels or outdoor bars, local food shops etc.

Does the wife force you to go in there? xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

I spent 12k on a little black dress and a pair of pink jeans for the wife last week....not to mention 10's of thousands on shoes over the last few months 20x20xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN. ....but that's OK. I still love the place and it's my go to mall for good quality stuff.

Oh you would disagree with anything I post, but that is OK. That mall has nothing that I need. I wear simple clothes, no jewelry. The land that building took up, could have in my opinion been better served by more smaller local places. I find it oxymoronic to go to a small beach town and then want or expect or need big fancy shopping malls.

Not sure you have the meaning of oxymoron quite right. Aside from that I would not call Pattaya a small beach town and the idea of people coming here and wanting a big mall seems normal to me. If I go on holiday I want places to eat, places to drink and places to go to when I am not on the beach or when its raining, like the cinema or bowling alley or food court or coffee shop or supermarket or somewhere to buy souveniers or sunglasses etc etc etc. What they have all of these things in a conveniently located, air conditioned complex of shops? Dang but these foreigners are clever!

I spent 12k on a little black dress and a pair of pink jeans for the wife last week....not to mention 10's of thousands on shoes over the last few months xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png ....but that's OK. I still love the place and it's my go to mall for good quality stuff.

You sure tthat you didn't marry Imelda biggrin.png

No, I disagree with point 3, that's why I only included point 3 in my reply.

Most people who come to Pattaya are not coming to a "small beach town". You seem to be living in the past.

Edited by tropo

You sure tthat you didn't marry Imelda biggrin.png

Not quite, but we're working on it. biggrin.png

We've bought about 15 pairs of shoes in the last 3 months. I actually enjoy fashion shopping with my wife... it's a bit of a hobby.... not for me though, I still get around in shorts, T-shirts and tank tops with the occasional polo thrown in for good measure.smile.png My AMEX card took quite hit.... especially after visiting Louis Vuitton in Siam Paragon last week.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

• 2 months later...

• xphoto-thumb-81023.jpg,q_r=0.pagespeed.i
  • Advanced Members
  • xbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewR
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 2013-05-21 09:57:20

what things around here raise your hackles?

here's just a few of my pet hates to start you off:

sunglasses worn indoors

arms hanging out of car windows constantly flicking ash off a cigarette

PCX riders in general

Posted 2013-09-28 08:26:20

motorbike riders who use those stupid mountain bike type helmets as motorcycle crash helmets

(whoever convinced people to wear this stupid headgear was a marketing genius)

this goes doubly for people who wear them when driving PCX

post-81023-0-92283900-1380331633_thumb.j

• Like 1

The autos & trucks that live here & stiff won't register their vehicles in Pattaya- But my real bitch is the Thai Hi-So's that insist on driving in the overtaking lane (right lane)while driving 50-60 KPH when the flow of traffic is 120 KPH on the average Sometimes 140 leaving Pattaya on Sukimvette.

They seem so disorientated as most tourists are but it is really insanely dangerous to have all lanes cluttered & no one doing a head check Quick lane changes & lack of ever yielding to the flowing traffic on a merge. Last post I killed a day later I didn't specify & I had all the farangs from BKK crying that it wasn't fair to single them out & in all honesty it is usually the Thai Hi So's that are the cause of the problems. The joker & I am sure you know who you are was such a great driver that he forgot to mention he did a hit & run dragging the biker & his motorbike 11 meters & got caught later. 4 weeks prior he got caught drunk driving! So I guess it is more like 2 bitches that piss me off in Pattaya. Shitty drivers that do not care & think they are above the law & any consideration other than their own selfish desires & people that bullshit about not being one of those losers when they know they are guilty of being an idiot. The problem with other forums in Thailand is usually you can get the skinny from another website they have been banned from.

Now don't get me wrong sometimes I need to look for a location & resort to acting like a tourist but I have common sense enough to stay in the slow lane & pull over to let anyone that wants to go faster.

You're sitting on a bahtbus at the start of the journey on a baking hot day sweating your b*ll**ks off waiting for the driver to start and move. He starts the engine and you breathe a sigh of relief at the prospect of getting a bit of an airflow. Then he moves one yard and stops, waiting for other passengers who aren't there. Then he starts again and moves another yard, then again and again. This can be torture until he finally gets underway.

Getting a baht bus on Central Road "grates" me. There are very few baht buses on that road (for a reason I can't understand). And most do not stop, even when empty of passengers. If you go right on Central Road from Second Road, and want to go to Foodland, for example, they refuse to stop. And it gets worse going back from Foodland. There, it is almost impossible to even locate a baht bus. The same FUBAR system is in place on Thepprasit Road. Try getting a baht bus to Sukhumvit from the Jomtien end of Thepprasit Road (and back again). When the baht bus system works, I am OK with it because it can be convenient, but in certain areas of the city, oddly on some major roads, it does not work.

• Like 2

You're sitting on a bahtbus at the start of the journey on a baking hot day sweating your b*ll**ks off waiting for the driver to start and move. He starts the engine and you breathe a sigh of relief at the prospect of getting a bit of an airflow. Then he moves one yard and stops, waiting for other passengers who aren't there. Then he starts again and moves another yard, then again and again. This can be torture until he finally gets underway.

Getting a baht bus on Central Road "grates" me. There are very few baht buses on that road (for a reason I can't understand). And most do not stop, even when empty of passengers. If you go right on Central Road from Second Road, and want to go to Foodland, for example, they refuse to stop. And it gets worse going back from Foodland. There, it is almost impossible to even locate a baht bus. The same FUBAR system is in place on Thepprasit Road. Try getting a baht bus to Sukhumvit from the Jomtien end of Thepprasit Road (and back again). When the baht bus system works, I am OK with it because it can be convenient, but in certain areas of the city, oddly on some major roads, it does not work.

So for all intents and purposes, there is no public transport in Pattaya apart from motorbike taxis and taxi meters which don't use their meters.

So for all intents and purposes, there is no public transport in Pattaya apart from motorbike taxis and taxi meters which don't use their meters.

Not exactly. There are the baht buses on the beach side routes. Also on Sukhumwit. The coverage is less than ideal though.

- Having to wear a helmet that is totally useless anyway. You get to carry a 1-month-old baby with you on the motorbike, and he/she can have no helmet, but you still must have one.

- Having to wear a helmet for my own safety in case of accident, but insurance to financially cover any victims other than myself is not mandatory.

- Having to wear a helmet / put on a seat belt, for my own safety, otherwise I'll have to pay money, but I can still jump from the roof of a building, swim far away in the sea, jump on the rails before a train passes by, or anything else really deadly dangerous and I wouldn't have to pay, but wearing a f*cking helmet is forced on me!!! Leave me alone! It concerns only me! Let me take the risk if I want to! My life is mine! Not yours! Bette fine people not using indicators or driving in the night with all lights off which IS dangerous for other people than himself!

- The police.

• Like 1

The government offering 100 000 baht on any new car purchased via a loan.

Thanks a lot for spending so much money on increasing the number of accidents, increasing the pollution, increasing general traffic jam, promoting dept, putting poor people in strong dept for something they don't need.

Thanks sooo much for not spending this money on improving public transportation, public buses, improving the taxi system (imposing the use of the meter for taxi-meters), improving the railway, improving the road, and so on...

• Like 2

Not exactly. There are the baht buses on the beach side routes. Also on Sukhumwit. The coverage is less than ideal though.

Pretty useless for most residents. I have no public transport from where I live, just 1km from Walking Street... I don't consider 100 cc scooters of questionable maintenance (bike taxis) as public transport.. especially when you're over 100kg - and they charge 60 baht just down the hill from here because they make their money ripping off tourists.

- Having to wear a helmet that is totally useless anyway. You get to carry a 1-month-old baby with you on the motorbike, and he/she can have no helmet, but you still must have one.

- Having to wear a helmet for my own safety in case of accident, but insurance to financially cover any victims other than myself is not mandatory.

- Having to wear a helmet / put on a seat belt, for my own safety, otherwise I'll have to pay money, but I can still jump from the roof of a building, swim far away in the sea, jump on the rails before a train passes by, or anything else really deadly dangerous and I wouldn't have to pay, but wearing a f*cking helmet is forced on me!!! Leave me alone! It concerns only me! Let me take the risk if I want to! My life is mine! Not yours! Bette fine people not using indicators or driving in the night with all lights off which IS dangerous for other people than himself!

- The police.

Relax, it's not a Pattaya thing - most countries have helmet laws these days. Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves because riding a bike without a helmet is really dumb. With their sanity in question (no fear of death), should they even be allowed on the road? If they're a danger to themselves, they're probably a danger to everyone else too.

One might wonder if people who don't wear helmets are more likely to ride drunk.

The best answer to your gripe is to enforce a better standard of helmet. One day that will probably happen. It already happened recently in my wife's town in the Philippines, I can't see why not here.

Edited by tropo

- The police.

Relax, it's not a Pattaya thing - most countries have helmet laws these days. Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves because riding a bike without a helmet is really dumb. With their sanity in question (no fear of death), should they even be allowed on the road? If they're a danger to themselves, they're a danger to everyone else too.

The best answer to your gripe is to enforce a better standard of helmet. One day that will probably happen. It already happened recently in my wife's town in the Philippines, I can't see why not here.

Let's agree to disagree.

I'm a very responsible person and the first to care about security matters, and wearing a helmet has some drastic side-effects that can actually cause more accidents than not wearing one (decreased visibility, decreased audibility, etc.). I have a friend who explained to me that the entire helmet/seat-belt business was a monopoly of the insurance companies scamming the whole system to generate more income, and that those security devices were never conceived to actually protect people. I can't explain exactly what is going on under the table but I know that something big is at play pretty much like for the marijuana and the cotton industry...

When riding the bike for 100 meters to get to the nearest 7/11 at precisely 20 Km/h (12 MPH) but

- The police.

One might wonder if people who don't wear helmets are more likely to ride drunk.

Now THIS is a very serious offense and terrible endanger of the public!

Driving drunk in my home country in Europe can lead to jail and driving licence suspension for 5 whole years! In Thailand, it's common practice even by "professionals of the road" like taxi drivers (especially the motorbike ones) and so on, it's just unbelievable!

The police should use all the money they collected from missing helmets, and invest it on breathalyzer test devices and try putting a stop at drunk drivers in Thailand!

- The police.

Relax, it's not a Pattaya thing - most countries have helmet laws these days. Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves because riding a bike without a helmet is really dumb. With their sanity in question (no fear of death), should they even be allowed on the road? If they're a danger to themselves, they're a danger to everyone else too.

Let's agree to disagree.

I'm a very responsible person and the first to care about security matters, and wearing a helmet has some drastic side-effects that can actually cause more accidents than not wearing one (decreased visibility, decreased audibility, etc.). I have a friend who explained to me that the entire helmet/seat-belt business was a monopoly of the insurance companies scamming the whole system to generate more income, and that those security devices were never conceived to actually protect people. I can't explain exactly what is going on under the table but I know that something big is at play pretty much like for the marijuana and the cotton industry...

When riding the bike for 100 meters to get to the nearest 7/11 at precisely 20 Km/h (12 MPH) but

You could be an extremely responsible person but I'm talking generally. IMO the people who ride without helmets are not as safely conscious in general. They just have a different attitude than safety conscious people. I notice here in Pattaya it has a lot to do with the helmets spoiling their hairdos. Another common reason is just plain laziness.

You're trying to convince the wrong guy. I wear my helmet when riding down the road to the 7/11 at any speed. I just don't see the point in tempting fate.... by thinking I'm only going a short distance, so I'll be ok.

Never had a problem hearing or seeing with a helmet on. I've been wearing them diligently for over 35 years. I owe my life to a helmet in at least one accident.

In some cases you can hear better without the wind rushing past your ears when it's very windy. Do you ride a bike at night time with no helmet when the bugs are coming out? How about in the rain? Try riding without a visor when the flying ants come out after rain... then of course there's the protection from the hot sun which a helmet provides.

Either way, most authorities in most civilized countries require them, so there's no point fighting it or whinging about it.

You could start wearing the Sikh turban - they don't have to wear helmets here.

Edited by tropo