Thai Science And Technology Min Focuses On Safety For Nuclear Power Use

webfact

That Thailand with it's problems of instability, incredibily unreliable employees, it's hair brained projects and the arogant view that all Thai are smarter that the rest of world's population it scares the pants off me to even imagine        

a nuclear industry here. 

If you think I'm negative consider this: When there is an accident Thai run away. Thai people refuse to accept responsibilty. Thai People are clumsey do not think ahead, Do any of you know if the are any Thai Nuclear Physicists?

I know several.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Thailand with it's problems of instability, incredibily unreliable employees, it's hair brained projects and the arogant view that all Thai are smarter that the rest of world's population it scares the pants off me to even imagine

a nuclear industry here.

If you think I'm negative consider this: When there is an accident Thai run away. Thai people refuse to accept responsibilty. Thai People are clumsey do not think ahead, Do any of you know if the are any Thai Nuclear Physicists?

I know several.

If true, they probably bought their degrees on Khao San Road... laugh.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

This ias a bad idea, bkk seems a good location, a sinking city...lol, what the biggest problem is as always, where do they store the waste, going by how they treat sewerage waste here, we should all run for the hills... blink.png

Well Japan wasn't much better - they kept the spent fuel on location which caused a considerable problem when it all went pear shaped

Modern reactors are quite safe these days, it's the stupid things that humans do that cause the problems and Thailand has it's fair share of stupidity

Fossil fuels are limited, will deplete more rapidly as energy demand grows, and are inherently polluting. To replace the 85+% of the planet's energy provided by fossil fuels, the only practical sources are nuclear and hydro generation, both currently around 7%. All the "alternate" power sources produce less than 1% combined, and that produced is at best intermittent, expensive and unreliable.

For all the comedians and doom merchants, I can only say "Get used to it, because it's coming."

• Like 1

Well Japan wasn't much better - they kept the spent fuel on location which caused a considerable problem when it all went pear shaped

Keeping fuel on site in the reactor pool is standard practice pretty much world wide...thumbsup.gif

Keeping fuel on site in the reactor pool is standard practice pretty much world wide...thumbsup.gif

Correct, but not upstairs so when there is a total power cut the cooling pumps no longer bring up the required amount of cold water.

• Like 1

Correct, but not upstairs so when there is a total power cut the cooling pumps no longer bring up the required amount of cold water.

thats a design error in the BWR type systems of that age..wink.png

They seemed to know their stuff when I took them on a visit to Harwell.

I think the problems that may occur will come from those that hold the purse strings.

Mate..

It doesnt matter what you say...TV finest will be of the opinion that all Thai's are idiots, incompentant and couldnt find their way to the toilet unless a farang showed them....

There are some seriously well educated/experienced Thai nationals in this country who would make TV finest "experts" look like a village idiots....but of course we have to accept/understand how TV's finestcome to this conclusion, as one wouldnt expect to find Thai nuclear physicists, well educated/experienced Thai technical people living among the rice farmers and BG's of Isaan...tongue.png

• Like 2

Do any of you know if the are any Thai Nuclear Physicists?

Yes they are running the Thai research reactor in BKK, and no they didnt buy their degrees on Koh san road....wink.png

why spend good baht when cheating on exams is the way to go these days.

I think it is the standard of the tradesmen in Thailand that worries people the most. The extreemly shoddy construction works make me wonder if the power station will fall down. Thailand can the very best Nuclear Physicists but if the whole things collapses?

I think it is the standard of the tradesmen in Thailand that worries people the most. The extreemly shoddy construction works make me wonder if the power station will fall down. Thailand can the very best Nuclear Physicists but if the whole things collapses?

The trademens your referring to are not tradesmen...the average farang in Thailand would never across the real Thai industrial tradesmen, simply because these guys work in industry, in power plants, chemical plants, refineries etc in Thailand nad how many of them have "fallen down" ?

You certainly wouldnt be seeing them welding up roof truss's, or wiring up a farangs Isaan mansion...

There are some seriously well educated/experienced Thai nationals in this country who would make TV finest "experts" look like a village idiots....but of course we have to accept/understand how TV's finestcome to this conclusion, as one wouldnt expect to find Thai nuclear physicists, well educated/experienced Thai technical people living among the rice farmers and BG's of Isaan...tongue.png

Soutpeel, do you get paid a commission every time you make some allusion to those here who disagree with you on a nuclear Thailand all being somehow connected to barstools, bargirls or Isaan? Because, without counting exactly, it seems you've made some version of the same retort a couple of dozen times.

I don't make those kinds of assumptions about those who work in the energy industry. So perhaps you shouldn't about those who don't. Unless, of course, you feel you can't make a persuasive argument and case without resorting to such cheap comments. It's getting more than a bit old...

Fossil fuels are limited, will deplete more rapidly as energy demand grows, and are inherently polluting...

Like nuclear power isn't polluting? blink.png

The spent fuel from the nuclear power stations will have to be stored for centuries until it's safe. When you take into account the huge cost of decommissioning the stations and storing the fuel into the future, nuclear power is the most expensive form of energy.

I seem to recall that when attempting to privatise the nuclear industry in the UK a while back, the only way the Government could get it to work was to ring fence off the costs of decommissioning the stations and storing the fuel as a cost to be picked up by the Government/taxpayers.

Soutpeel, do you get paid a commission every time you make some allusion to those here who disagree with you on a nuclear Thailand all being somehow connected to barstools, bargirls or Isaan? Because, without counting exactly, it seems you've made some version of the same retort a couple of dozen times.

I don't make those kinds of assumptions about those who work in the energy industry. So perhaps you shouldn't about those who don't. Unless, of course, you feel you can't make a persuasive argument and case without resorting to such cheap comments.

Oh dear...and no I dont get paid commission...on the BG/Isaan/bar stools retorts, one suspects statisically speaking I wouldnt be far off the money based on some of the remarks I have read on this subject to date...

I am all for having rational debate on the pro and cons of a nuclear Thailand, but find it a bit hard when the vast majority of posts only contribution is "Thai's are too stupid for nuclear power"....so seeing as it appears ok to make these types of generalised remarks, cant see a problem with making generalised remarks about BG/Isaan and bar stools...wink.png

Fossil fuels are limited, will deplete more rapidly as energy demand grows, and are inherently polluting...

The spent fuel from the nuclear power stations will have to be stored for centuries until it's safe. When you take into account the huge cost of decommissioning the stations and storing the fuel into the future, nuclear power is the most expensive form of energy.

I seem to recall that when attempting to privatise the nuclear industry in the UK a while back, the only way the Government could get it to work was to ring fence off the costs of decommissioning the stations and storing the fuel as a cost to be picked up by the Government/taxpayers.

OK but what are the alternatives ?....and i am sorry solar/hydro etc are not it on the scale thats needed and in the next 15-20 years its going to get even harder for Thailand...the current supply of locally produced natural gas will be exhausted as well

Edited by Soutpeel

Soutpeel, then maybe you should brush up on your reading skills, since this thread is full of comments by various posters, including from me, citing a long list of government and private projects here in the country that have been poorly managed, poorly built or otherwise gone bad -- all attesting to a culture of corruption, lack of interest in quality, disregard for regulations and requirements, and an unwillingness to accept responsibility.

You only have to see and read about case after case after case of those kinds of episodes, repeated over and over again, before coming to the not-so far-fetched conclusion that Thailand isn't a country well-suited to having a nuclear industry where there's little tolerance for those kinds of failures.

But clearly, you're not interested in acknowledging those kinds of issues, since you're too busy making your unending barstool remarks, despite you not having the slightest idea of the backgrounds of the particular members posting in this thread.

• Like 1

The trademens your referring to are not tradesmen...the average farang in Thailand would never across the real Thai industrial tradesmen, simply because these guys work in industry, in power plants, chemical plants, refineries etc in Thailand nad how many of them have "fallen down" ?

You certainly wouldnt be seeing them welding up roof truss's, or wiring up a farangs Isaan mansion...

Well you say that, and on the whole I agree, but for example some of the cleaning contractors around Rayong are compete cowboys in between professionals.

TallGuyJohninBKK, on 22 May 2013 - 20:39, said:

despite you not having the slightest idea of the backgrounds of the particular members posting in this thread.

Enlighten me then, I have given my experiences of nuclear construction & operations in another country which also accused of exactly the same things as your stating about Thailand, so forgive me in offering an differing opinion based on real world knowledge & experiences, rather than cherry picking from google or wiki

As mentioned previously I have no problem getting in a rational debate about Thai nuclear apsiriations...the fact is it will happen one day. when that day is who knows...

ps.my reading skills are just fine, I just have a good BS filter when reading..

Edited by Soutpeel

Thai at Heart, on 22 May 2013 - 20:52, said:

Soutpeel, on 22 May 2013 - 19:59, said:

chooka, on 22 May 2013 - 19:37, said:

Well you say that, and on the whole I agree, but for example some of the cleaning contractors around Rayong are compete cowboys in between professionals.
Of course there are cowboys everywhere, Thailand is not unique in that regard

Calm down. Thailand can't build one itself and chances of another country being willing to take the risk of building one for them are..... err.... none?

Considering this is Thailand, I suspect Thailand would turn to China or China would turn to Thailand.

They' build it as cheap as possible, it probably wouldn't work properly, the construction contract would be managed by CP Corp., and they'd put a big 7/11 logo on the reactor containment structure. tongue.png

I don't think even China would take the risk..... would they?

Obviously Soutpeel, you choose to ignore the vast world that exists in Thailand of NO safety, including all the illustrative examples I listed above.

As for industry, you can add, can't manage to build and complete pharmaceutical plants, can't maintain or successfully build sewage plants, can't manage to keep raw sewage from getting dumped into the ocean, can't operate industrial estates like Map Ta Phut without severe pollution problems, exploding car manufacturing plants, etc etc.. Not to mention having a Science and Technology Minister who thinks putting propeller boats in the Chao Phraya will prevent or lessen flooding in Bangkok.

Um, the oil and gas industry in Thailand isn't what you'd call small...

• Like 1

Obviously Soutpeel, you choose to ignore the vast world that exists in Thailand of NO safety, including all the illustrative examples I listed above.

As for industry, you can add, can't manage to build and complete pharmaceutical plants, can't maintain or successfully build sewage plants, can't manage to keep raw sewage from getting dumped into the ocean, can't operate industrial estates like Map Ta Phut without severe pollution problems, exploding car manufacturing plants, etc etc.. Not to mention having a Science and Technology Minister who thinks putting propeller boats in the Chao Phraya will prevent or lessen flooding in Bangkok.

Thailand has an oil & gas industry.?..w00t.gif ...according to TV finest, Thailand is full of incompentents who couldnt build or operate anything even remotely technical, you must be mistaken..biggrin.png

Thailand has an oil & gas industry.?..:w00t: ...according to TV finest, Thailand is full of incompentents who couldnt build or operate anything even remotely technical, you must be mistaken..:D

That half million barrels per day must be pumping itself out....silly me.

I bet that LNG import terminal sprouted up all by itself after jack planted a bean, expecting a beanstalk. Silly Jack.

You guys must be enjoying talking to yourselves....since, I made no comments specifically about the oil and gas industry in Thailand and its size, large or small.

But based on what goes on in the real world here, it's probably pretty safe to say that the more role the government has in any construction project here vs the private sector, the more likely that project is to be trouble-prone and of substandard quality.

Probably also reasonable to say that, overall, on the flip side, the greater extent there is of international corporate management in a projects here vs local corporate management that the project will be well-done. Although, I think the bigger predictor of problems is Thai government involvement vs. private sector projects managed by solely Thai companies.

That's where the nuclear plant issue becomes problematic, for more reasons than just the usual nuclear ones, because such a project in Thailand would have the Thai government's involvement from top to bottom. And that's usually a good predictor of bad outcomes.

• Like 1

Strange, Japan shut all of their reactors down.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/05/japan-shuts-down-last-nuclear-reactor

Japan never really designed or built anything. Japan has no engineering expertise at all. I'm sure Thailand will show them how it's done.

Maybe a word from the former Prime Minster of Japan will be helpful in this debate:

I didn't claim that nuclear generated power didn't have pollution or other costs. I am pointing out that fossil fuels are depleting while energy demand grows, and the alternatives are very limited.

The waters are muddied by the mass of the people being completely ignorant about energy generation, being influenced by "green" psuedo-scientists inflating dangers and costs and making false claims for their green non-solutions, and voting for politicians who spout their own ignorant views.

As for your claim that nuclear power is the most expensive, you should look at the solar power stations under construction in Oz. If as an alternative they imported 5 million Chinese coolies to pedal bicycle generators for 8 hours per day, including morning and afternoon tea and lunch break, they could generate an equal amount of energy more reliably and bloody cheaper.