Siblings Burned To Death After Electricity Was Cut Off: Phisanulok

webfact

Siblings Burned To Death After Electricity Was Cut Off

238.jpg

Two siblings from Phisanulok province had to use candles to light up their house as they didn't pay their 441 THB electricity bill.

PHISANULOK – May 22, 2013 [PDN]; Late in the night of the 21st of May, police officers of Phisanulok police station were informed that a house was being burnt down, police then passed down the incident to the fire department to extinguish the fire. Police then sent out a team of police officers to investigate the incident. The firemen controlled the fire within 30 minutes. The incident happened at a single storey house wood house.

Once the fire was extinguished, the police officers went in to investigate the burnt down house. Police found two bodies of a 9 year-old girl and a 13 year-old boy. As for the owner of the house and mother of the siblings, Ms. Chutikarn, age 39 was slightly injured.

After initial investigations it was known that the electricity authority decided to cut out the electricity of the burnt down house as a bill of 441 THB wasn’t paid in time. Ms. Chutikarn broke out in tears as she was telling the police how the incident panned out. She told the police that the electricity authority cut out the her power at around 01.00 PM of May 21. In the evening she went out for work, where she left her children alone in the house.

Up until 09.30 PM, Mrs. Chutikarn stopped by at home from to send her children to sleep, after that she went back to work. At around 11.00 PM a local resident shouted that a house was burning, Mrs. Chutikarn immediately went back to her house only to find out that her house is burning. She tried to help her children who were trapped in the house but she couldn’t as the flames were blocking her way.

The police officers believe that the two children used candles to light up their house. When both of them fell asleep, the candles must have fallen down, making the house go up in fire.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/05/22/siblings-bburned-to-death-after-electricity-was-cut-out/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-05-22

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a very pleasant way to Finish off the day (7pm), my condolences to the family in your sad loss, my thoughts are with you at this time. One hopes that something can be learnt from this tragic accident and measures taken to prevent this type of accident to happen again.

• Like 1

It's a very sad story. You can't blame the electricity company, that's the way it works here and cutting the power sometimes is the only way to make people pay their bill. Can't blame the mother either for sure, 9 and 13 yo are old enough to stay on their own if the mother was working. The kids should have put the candles out before going to sleep, but everyone here is so afraid of the dark and of the ghosts...

it should work that way anywhere.

RIP for the people, but the accident has nothing to do with the power cut. I know of many examples where people died because of candles with working power. Christmas trees, children playing with candles, etc. Fire has to be handled with caution.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

Disgusted with the electric company. They also do not consider that maybe in some houses people might be on vital medical equipment. Recently I got cut off, never got a bill, was in the house my phone number on the meter. No questions asked no service. Immediately went to pay; it took them 5 hours to re connect. It would make life easier for them and the users if there was a warning service.

It's not the Electric company's fault.

Not that we need to point fingers at every tragic even but leaving a 9 and 13 year old child at home for any lengthly amount of time isn't going to win any parent of the year awards, work or not.

You can stop pointing now.

It's a very sad story. You can't blame the electricity company, that's the way it works here and cutting the power sometimes is the only way to make people pay their bill. Can't blame the mother either for sure, 9 and 13 yo are old enough to stay on their own if the mother was working. The kids should have put the candles out before going to sleep, but everyone here is so afraid of the dark and of the ghosts...

Yes you can blame the electric company. The only reason they cut the supply by taking away the connection or meter is to collect the extra 100 or so baht for re-connection.

Survey the people who work in the electric office and see how many of them have had their lines cut, on second thoughts don't bother, I already know the answer.

I have paid mine at 10am on the last day due and at 12.30 I was watching the outside of the house when the guy came. parked his bike at the end of the Soi and walked to the meter, so I wouldn't hear him, when he got to the meter I stuck my head over the wall and said Hi, what's your problem while holding the receipt for him to see.

Received no answer and he just went back to his bike and disappeared.

I agree 100%,it took me around 6 months after moving into my house for the idiot delivering the bill to manage to find the house!My electricity was cut off first on Christmas Eve,then for the next two consecutive months until I told the owner if it happened again I was moving out!

I made the comment to the owner that they know exactly where to come top cut it off but not where to deliver the bill?She told me the cut-off people work for the Electricity Board and the delivery muppets are sub-contracted!

The idiot turned up the next time with his wife and big smiles at my gate,I honestly think they were expecting to get a tip,unbelievable.To top it all off the owner's Father,a Chinese-Thai Doctor had already paid it so it didn't get cut off!Now I just let him pay,collect the receipt and pay it into his bank with the rent money.

These monkeys can deliver a paid bill but not an unpaid one to the house for me to go and pay myself,I've given up now!

Anyway,my problems really do pale into insignificance compared to this Mother who has just lost her two little angels,I hope that one day this poor lady is able to come to terms with what has happened here.They say that God takes the best ones young and turns them into angels.

• Like 1

we take in about 10-12 kids a night here.kids don't like to stay in their homes without their parent/parents home

sometimes i think the kids just like to stay at our house because of the aircon/an big screen tv,plus they can take a warm shower

we go thru a lot of soap/shampoo heresmile.png

some of them stay all night

• Like 1

I've never met a parent that didn't blame themselves for the loss of a child. They may blame others as well, but all of them have had that "if only I had...." in the back of their mind.

we take in about 10-12 kids a night here.kids don't like to stay in their homes without their parent/parents home

sometimes i think the kids just like to stay at our house because of the aircon/an big screen tv,plus they can take a warm shower

we go thru a lot of soap/shampoo heresmile.png

some of them stay all night

Edit

So the parents are out at work also I take it?I'm sure it's nice having the kids there but I imagine you have to be careful that the parents down show up and treat your house like a hotel also!blink.png

Edited by Eesat

<snip>

Recently I got cut off, never got a bill, was in the house my phone number on the meter. No questions asked no service. Immediately went to pay; it took them 5 hours to re connect. It would make life easier for them and the users if there was a warning service.

Here's a tip:

Make a note of when you should pay your bill - it is printed on the bill.

Then make a note on a calendar, on your phone or on your computer.

Go and pay the bill every month before that date, even if you haven't received a bill.

Not too hard?

They came to cut me off even i had paid the bill...Lucky i was at home when he came, I showed him the payed bill and it took him a 3 minute phone call before turning the electric back on.

Living in the sticks has it's advantages. Meter is read around the 18th. The collector turns up a few days later, and if your wife has hidden the money, he comes back tomorrow.

at first a couple of parents tryed that,but wife said kids only

wife loves haveing the young lady's around,

we have a rule here that only english is spoken in the house,most have learned to speek english fairly well

we'v been doing this for about 4 years now

• Like 1

I have paid mine at 10am on the last day due and at 12.30 I was watching the outside of the house when the guy came. parked his bike at the end of the Soi and walked to the meter,

And I thought the cutting of my electricity line, 7 days after the date of the last payment, was already a bit to fast and harsh! blink.png

<snip>

Recently I got cut off, never got a bill, was in the house my phone number on the meter. No questions asked no service. Immediately went to pay; it took them 5 hours to re connect. It would make life easier for them and the users if there was a warning service.

Here's a tip:

Make a note of when you should pay your bill - it is printed on the bill.

Then make a note on a calendar, on your phone or on your computer.

Go and pay the bill every month before that date, even if you haven't received a bill.

Not too hard?

It is if you don't have the money.........

• Like 1

at first a couple of parents tryed that,but wife said kids only

wife loves haveing the young lady's around,

we have a rule here that only english is spoken in the house,most have learned to speek english fairly well

we'v been doing this for about 4 years now

Well done and good luck to you. Just one massive word of caution. It is through having done genuine acts of kindness in the community that many a farang has been set up by the parents of kids, trying to make a quick buck. Be very very careful, your situation is exactly as others have described it who ended up facing horrendous allegations and charges, thats all i'm saying.

Regarding the OP, this is a dreadful tragedy. I sometimes wonder about the media over here, who released photos that are now appearing on FB of the two charred bodies of these children, the young girl was tiny. The photo's are simply not needed and how can the family ever find any piece with material like that on the net.