Bad News For Golf Cheats

Chicog

FAR HILLS, N.J. — Golf’s rules-making bodies, the United States Golf Association and the Royal & Ancient, on Tuesday prohibited golfers from anchoring a putter against their bodies while making a stroke, a rule change the organizations first proposed in November. The worldwide ban against anchored putting strokes, applicable to professionals and amateurs alike, will not go into effect until Jan. 1, 2016.

Glen D. Nager, the president of the golf association, said the approval of Rule 14-1b was necessary “to preserve one of the important traditions and challenges of the game — that the player freely swing the entire club.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sports/golf/anchored-putting-strokes-to-be-banned-in-2016.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"cheat" bit extreme - it has actually been legal.

They are already talking about how they can get around it - Just hold the broomstick 1 millimetre away from your chin and it can't be constituted as anchoring.

As far sticking it into your gut and burying it in there , ala Keegan Bradley/ Ernie Els style, I don't know how you can get around that.

How about Kuchar locking it into his arm? Is that allowed?

Yes have to admit the 'cheating' bit is just wrong. How are they cheating? It is within the rules and they are doing it.

I just wish they would make an exception to the rule for us old gits whilst not playing against the rippling abs brigade. The yips are terrifying and more common in the elder brigade.

They are already talking about how they can get around it - Just hold the broomstick 1 millimetre away from your chin and it can't be constituted as anchoring.

As far sticking it into your gut and burying it in there , ala Keegan Bradley/ Ernie Els style, I don't know how you can get around that.

I saw on CNN tonight that it will be allowable to hold it against your arm nearly up to your elbow. Have seen nothing in writing about it though.

I saw on CNN tonight that it will be allowable to hold it against your arm nearly up to your elbow. Have seen nothing in writing about it though.

That's about the only grip I haven't tried. Grip number 15 coming soon. :)

Why in the heck does it take 2-1/2 years to implement the ban? Is there something complicated about it that I do not understand, or are they just allowing time to see if the PGA (which has NOT agreed to the ban) will get on board? And since the PGA is not yet on board, can it really be called a "worldwide" ban?

If players are using golf styles currently within the rules, how can they be called "Cheats". Come 2016 would the OP like to see past winners eg. Adam Scott stripped of their titles?

IMHO the ruling bodies have been very generous in giving players plenty of time to adjust.

Why in the heck does it take 2-1/2 years to implement the ban? Is there something complicated about it that I do not understand, or are they just allowing time to see if the PGA (which has NOT agreed to the ban) will get on board? And since the PGA is not yet on board, can it really be called a "worldwide" ban?

I suspect they are also giving professional golfers some time to change their play and thus allow them to carry on making a living...

My understanding is that the USGA and the R&A oversee the Ryder Cup - and maybe the other international competitions such as the President's Cup. If the PGA go their own way then the US team will be at a big disadvantage in that some of their team members will have to toe the line when it comes to holing out.

Do any professional lady golfers use long handled putters?

My understanding is that the USGA and the R&A oversee the Ryder Cup - and maybe the other international competitions such as the President's Cup. If the PGA go their own way then the US team will be at a big disadvantage in that some of their team members will have to toe the line when it comes to holing out.

I can't think of one. Michelle Wie tried one for a while. It didn't work to improve her putting either.

Probably the most ridiculous heading I have seen on Thaivisa. Chicog, please come out of hiding and explain how using a broomstick putter is cheating. Whilst the story is not yours the heading is... We await your response . . .

• Like 1

this rule will help players around the world to look less ridiculous on the greens.

Long handled putters are a boon to older golfers, they allow some to continue playing who may have to stop now. I used one for a while when I had a bad back, it didn't improve my putting, but it enabled me to keep playing by taking the bending out of it - also it's a great thing to lean on on the green while others putt.

IMO this is a bad decision.

this rule will help players around the world to look less ridiculous on the greens.

Long handled putters are a boon to older golfers, they allow some to continue playing who may have to stop now. I used one for a while when I had a bad back, it didn't improve my putting, but it enabled me to keep playing by taking the bending out of it - also it's a great thing to lean on on the green while others putt.

You can still use a long handled putter, as long as the putter isn't anchored to any part of your body.

Adam Scott, Carl Petterson, Tim Clarke, Bernhard Langer - all can hold the putter 1 millimetre away from their chin and it won't be constituted as anchoring.

I was watching Michael Breed the Golf Channel's Teaching Pro explaining it.

So unless he was barking up the wrong tree I think the long handled putter will still be ok. If you have the handle in your fist and your fist is held against your body, then you are in strife.

Come on, size isn't everything. I'm sure a professional lady golfer would be far more interested in the quality of the putt than the length of the handle.

Edited by Ticketmaster

I know of a couple of them. But not in even close to the numbers on PGA.

Maria Hjort uses the really long one.

Beth Daniel

Mo Martin

Maria+Hjorth+Shaun+McBride+Avnet+LPGA+Cl

Edited by Forethat

How the hell do you swing with a bad back, if you can't even putt without bending?

This isn't a bad decision, it really only applies to competitions. You can continue to play with your mates and use a double sided chipper as long as you all agree to it. Hell, you can even use an anchored putter and a non-conforming driver if your mates are OK with it.

How the hell do you swing with a bad back, if you can't even putt without bending?

This isn't a bad decision, it really only applies to competitions. You can continue to play with your mates and use a double sided chipper as long as you all agree to it. Hell, you can even use an anchored putter and a non-conforming driver if your mates are OK with it.

In my cae the movement of swinging actually eased my back, it was standing bent over a putter and waiting around on the green with nothing to lean on that hurt.

Also, if these putters gave such a huge advantage that they've had to be banned, why isn't every pro using them?

First, it's not a huge advantage, it's a slight advantage but in today's game, it can make a difference. Second, you can use whatever club you want on the course unless you're in a competition and even then the organizer can make allowances. Third they didn't say long putters were banned, they said anchoring would be. So this bad back excuse doesn't wash, you only need to alter the technique so that there's no anchoring.

The PGA is sure to follow, they've put up a fight, all for show, defending the players but the inside word is they'll go along with the rule change re: belly/sternum anchoring. The fact that so many recent majors have been won using alternative putting techniques/equipment certainly accelerated the rule change. Given that two majors: The Open (R & A) and the U.S. Open (USGA) would invoke the rule change it would be silly for the PGA to resist.

The big question is if this blows down to amateurs, some think it should not but it probably should.

Note that at the professional level, any advantage, no matter how slight it is perceived, is actually a HUGE advantage.

Edited by lomatopo

Don't understand all the fuss re: how the ban will effect and discourage amatuers. As a frequent golfer, of all the people I've been paired with, I've only ever seen two of them use long putters. Just a bunch of hype by pros who don't want to use a traditional putter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't understand all the fuss re: how the ban will effect and discourage amatuers. As a frequent golfer, of all the people I've been paired with, I've only ever seen two of them use long putters. Just a bunch of hype by pros who don't want to use a traditional putter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Low % of amateur - weekend golfers don't use a broomstick, why? my thoughts are that they probably putt equally as bad with either method - zing! also, to become proficient at a broomstick and actually work it to your advantage you needs hours and hours or practice and the average amateur doesn't have the time invested in perfecting it. I actually don't care less if they ban it or not on an amateur level.

On a pro level, a correctly wielded broomstick can help to eliminate shortcomings for those pros with a 'handsy stroke' - that is they can start to get a bit yippy, or inconsistent with their hands in the stroke.

Hence, the pros that currently use it want to still use it because they can't putt as well with a standard length putter compared to the option they have now chosen. And they have found that out through 1000's of hours worth of putting during practice and competition. For them not to be able to use a 'banned' putter will more than likely result equate to a drop in their performance - that is why they are kicking up.

Glad to see they've finally got around to banning anchoring.

All these people complaining of the yips while putting - just sort yourselves out. Jeeze, I get the yips standing on the first tee at any golf course where there are a dozen other golfers watching me tee off - what help do I get?

I suffer from a bad back too and by far the worst thing is swinging with short wedge, not putting as there's so little range of motion - just try to keep your back as straight as possible and bend from the waist.

Now if Tiger used an anchored putting stroke, we'd have a whole new argument...

• 1 month later...

PGA Tour supports belly putter rule, in 2 1/2 years.

Updated Jul 1, 2013 9:39 PM ET

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AP)

The U.S. PGA Tour is going along with the new rule that will make it illegal in 2016 to use a long putter that is anchored to the body.

The tour made the announcement after its policy board met on Monday. Commissioner Tim Finchem says while several players oppose the new rule, it was important that golf be played under one set of rules. The U.S. Golf Association and Royal & Ancient Golf Club are in charge of setting the rules for golf.

It will take effect when the next Rules of Golf is published on Jan. 1, 2016.

The tour board encouraged the governing bodies to add some additional time for amateurs. Some are concerned that getting rid of the stroke for long putters will drive recreational players from golf.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/pga-tour-support-usga-belly-putter-ruling-070113

• 1 month later...

In the Constitution of all the golf clubs that I have been a member of invariably one of the first articles states that the game will be played according to the Rules of Golf. The rules of the relevant Golf Union regarding the conduct of the club also receive prominence. This means, I understand, that those using an anchored broomstick after 1/1/16 may not enter any competition or hold an official handicap.

I noticed a few moments ago that a new piece of golfing equipment is available on the market, the idea for which must have originated in a what I consider to be a demented mind. It is a bracket to hold a mobile telephone that fits on to the shaft of a putter. It is marketed by Ping. It is an inviolable rule amongst my friends and I that mobiles are left in the car.

IMO, if its allowed by the rules its not cheating.

But in my group, we always thought it was against the spirit of the game.

So non of my friends had a long putter in their bag.

_________

Mobiles in the car? Then how can i use my golf apps?blink.png