If You Get A Snake Bite, Where Would You Go?

stevehaigh

You go to a hopsital as quickly as possible. A nurse told me that at the hopsital they will monitor you and if necesarry pull you through.

When going to the hopital try to move as little as possible. If your hearth beats faster, the blood and thus poison will circulate faster.

There are some hospitals with anti venom in Thailand, but the problem with that is that you must identify the snake. A lot of people will recognise a cobra because of the hood, but that is about it. So you don't take risks and go to the hopsital ASAP.

Phuket International hold cobra anti-venom as they are the most prevalent amongst incidents. However I am assured that very few incidents are recorded each year.

Vachira hold other anti-venin (wasn't told which) and that there is a National Centre in BKK.

You go to a hopsital as quickly as possible. A nurse told me that at the hopsital they will monitor you and if necesarry pull you through.

When going to the hopital try to move as little as possible. If your hearth beats faster, the blood and thus poison will circulate faster.

There are some hospitals with anti venom in Thailand, but the problem with that is that you must identify the snake. A lot of people will recognise a cobra because of the hood, but that is about it. So you don't take risks and go to the hopsital ASAP.

I'm not sure about Thailand, but in the west, they can take a swab from the bite area and test it to identify the snake that bit you, so, under no circumstances should you wash the wound. Once identified, they can administer the appropriate anti-venom.

You have all misread the heading to this thread! cheesy.gif

If You Get A Snake Bike, Where Would You Go?

Look again whistling.gif

Obviously, this is why your user name is "See Vision" AKA "Sea Vision." smile.pngsmile.png

The OP has edited the heading, as you will see if you read back.

Actually SeaVisonBurma edited the title .... biggrin.png

can users edit titles? i thought you had to be a mod to do that

Not directly. You'll have to use the forum backdoor to first gain the privileges, but don't abuse it.

First try to identify the snake so that hospitals can give a correct anti venom. Most people say that snakes do often an dry bite to scare the people as they don't want to use their precious venom if not really needed. That's the reason why hospitals first monitor the patient for symptoms and only give the anti venom if symptoms arise.

I would probably head towards Vachira hospital as I would think they have the antidotes available?

I live far enough from the hospitals, so if an king cobra would bite me to the middle of the body, it would be time to make some final calls instead of heading to the hospital. Some sources say that in these cases there would be 10-20 minutes time to live.

Then again, I don't remember news articles of people dying to snake bites here in Thailand. I guess the risk is quite minimal?

You have all misread the heading to this thread! cheesy.gif

If You Get A Snake Bike, Where Would You Go?

Look again whistling.gif

Obviously, this is why your user name is "See Vision" AKA "Sea Vision." smile.pngsmile.png

The OP has edited the heading, as you will see if you read back.

The heading was edited by a mod, not the OP.

You missed the joke. I'll explain it for you. One minute the heading was "bike" and the next minute, after editing, it became "bite." Thus, my comment "See visions" and the mod's user name is "Sea Vision" - ahhh, don't worry - you had to be there. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

It is alleged by the Thai Red Cross that they can get any specific anti venom to any healthcare facility in Thailand inside one hour.

These days the old polyvalent treatment - a general 'all round' anti venom - is now disclaimed by many medical professionals. The WHO in Asia seem to really frown upon it, yet it still seems to work in South America....

Instead, medical staff are now told to treat the symptoms until the correct antivenin arrives.

A typical cobra bite will give you about a 2 hour window to get help. After that, the anti-venom may become useless. The good news is, only about 10% of bites result in death. So, a large Farang bitten by a small cobra will probably survive. This is a good reason to have another Chang, and order a pizza. On the other hand, a child being bitten by an adult cobra would most likely result in death if anti-venom is not available in the appropriate time. I believe the Malayan Pit Viper, is the one you want to watch out for. These guys will hide in grass and wait for you. They like to bite people. Their venom can dissolve tissue and bone, resulting in some really nasty bite site injuries.

32,%20Malayan%20pit%20viper%20bite,%20Kh

A typical cobra bite will give you about a 2 hour window to get help. After that, the anti-venom may become useless. The good news is, only about 10% of bites result in death. So, a large Farang bitten by a small cobra will probably survive. This is a good reason to have another Chang, and order a pizza. On the other hand, a child being bitten by an adult cobra would most likely result in death if anti-venom is not available in the appropriate time. I believe the Malayan Pit Viper, is the one you want to watch out for. These guys will hide in grass and wait for you. They like to bite people. Their venom can dissolve tissue and bone, resulting in some really nasty bite site injuries.

32,%20Malayan%20pit%20viper%20bite,%20Kh

The picture meaning when bitten by a snake one should hold his hand in a fire???