Teaching Agencies

Farang B,

As a teacher in Chiang Mai, I can definitely say be weary of the agencies. Working as a teacher has allowed me to see first-hand how these agencies operate. They earn a commission on any teachers placed and often don't care about what happens after you've been placed.

Do you have a TEFL cert?

Do you have a degree?

What country are you coming from?

These questions will allow people to give you better suggestions for the best route to take in terms of agency vs. alternative means of landing a teaching gig.

Let me know and I might be able to offer some ideas.

Thanks for your response, I have TEFL and degree and home country is Australia. I saw a job recently advertised by an agency based in Bangkok. I have a friend who was interviewed by them last year and he said the guy that interviewed him was a real "dick", he actually told my friend that he sells drugs on the side during the interview. My friend was offered the job but not surprisingly declined because of the interviewer.

So you can see I would not want to get mixed up with him or the company he represents so any advice would be welcome.

Edited by farang b

There are some good and bad agencies.As you have a degree and Tefl you should not have a problem finding a position.Your best bet is to decide in which city you would like to live and then call in person at schools with your CV and documents.Chiang Mai hase recently lowered the salaries as it has become quite a popular destination,the islands also pay lower sallaries due to their popularity but its more expensive to live there.

Yes,the agencies do take a commission and so do the Tefl schools who contract teachers to the schools in their area.The private schools pay more than state schools and also have fewer students in classes.

There are some good and bad agencies.As you have a degree and Tefl you should not have a problem finding a position.Your best bet is to decide in which city you would like to live and then call in person at schools with your CV and documents.Chiang Mai hase recently lowered the salaries as it has become quite a popular destination,the islands also pay lower sallaries due to their popularity but its more expensive to live there.

Yes,the agencies do take a commission and so do the Tefl schools who contract teachers to the schools in their area.The private schools pay more than state schools and also have fewer students in classes.

Really?

Why don't you just come to Thailand around end of September? Get as job and work directly for a school. October's normally closed (midterm) and many jobs available, as schools get rid off their best ones.'

Check www.ajarn.com but it's always better to show your face in an interview, chances are pretty good to get a job.

Good luck, wouldn't reckon to work for an agency.=wai2.gif

Really?

Definitely smaller classes - My classes this year: 9, 18, 17, 18 students. That's about as low as I've had in recent years, but your class size in a private school would generally be 20-30 students (in an english program).

Why don't you just come to Thailand around end of September? Get as job and work directly for a school. October's normally closed (midterm) and many jobs available, as schools get rid off their best ones.'

Check www.ajarn.com but it's always better to show your face in an interview, chances are pretty good to get a job.

Good luck, wouldn't reckon to work for an agency.=wai2.gif

Yes, check ajarn.com and sus out the ones that are not agencies...otherwise just go to the school (well dressed), with your resume - best times will be october or march-mid may. We've had agency teachers before, but if you are keen to stay in Thailand a few years it's best to avoid agencies (most take a very significant cut of your monthly salary and don't provide too much in return). The ones I know of also have a clause that you can't leave the agency and work for the school directly, for at least two years.
  • Like 1

Ha anybody heard of an agency called Sine Education in Bangkok?

I will say I have never worked for this guy but I have talked to him and he came across very professionally (Peter - an English guy?) unlike a few other agencies I won't care to mention. They have AC classrooms at their schools and lesson plans.

I worked with an agency when I first came to Thailand. Look for one that will send you visa documents to you in your country so that you can get the proper visa before entering (saves hassles later), and also offers reimbursement for work permit expenses.

If you can, look for something that is a semester long contract. If you love where you are after the first semester, sign on again. If not, then it was only a half of a year and you can try to find something else yourself. That's what I did.

Good luck!

I worked with an agency when I first came to Thailand. Look for one that will send you visa documents to you in your country so that you can get the proper visa before entering (saves hassles later), and also offers reimbursement for work permit expenses.

If you can, look for something that is a semester long contract. If you love where you are after the first semester, sign on again. If not, then it was only a half of a year and you can try to find something else yourself. That's what I did.

Good luck!

That sounds like (?) a year of being employed sans work permit?

Other issues that might arise if you work through an agency could be you'll only be paid for the days that you work; in other words no pay on holidays, inc both public holidays and end of semester/year breaks; no pay if you are sick and not able to attend work. So if you have the paperwork get yourself a job as others have advised.

Good luck!

That sounds like (?) a year of being employed sans work permit?

I don't understand. I've always had a work permit while working in Thailand. The first offered through school with the help of the agency (the agency reimbursed my expenses) and the second handled by my current employer. I'm not sure how the agency handled it, but my contract with them was only for 1 semester.