Language School Requring Teachers License Waiver

Does a Language school require a TL? I was told and remember from somewhere that Language schools don't need to provide a TL for the teacher.

I work at a government school through a language school.

I came to this school as I didn't need a TL or so I thought? I have had 2 TL in the past with different schools so that isn't a problem.

But now they are asking for all docs so they can go to Krusapha and get a TL saying no TL = no WP?

Does anyone know the rules?

Any clues folks, thanks in advance.

The first provisional teaching permits were issued early 2008. It had to do with the fact that as of then Police Order 777/2551 came into effect. Teacher placement agencies or contractors were always in a grey area as the legal entity of such institutions are neither government schools nor private schools as stated in the mentioned document. It even didn't matter whether the teachers were placed in OBEC schools or not.

The funny thing of it all is that the rules are made by The Teachers' Council of Thailand and teachers and administrators in OBEC schools have to comply with the rules. i.e. when working in OBEC schools teachers and administrators must hold a TCT teacher license. However, until now they are Immigration and Labour that are enforcing the rules. Schools don't or didn't enforce the requirements.

When your agency is asking you for documents to apply for a provisional teaching permit or teacher license, I think the agency was ordered to do so by its employer i.e. the government school where you're placed.

• Like 1

The first provisional teaching permits were issued early 2008. It had to do with the fact that as of then Police Order 777/2551 came into effect. Teacher placement agencies or contractors were always in a grey area as the legal entity of such institutions are neither government schools nor private schools as stated in the mentioned document. It even didn't matter whether the teachers were placed in OBEC schools or not.

The funny thing of it all is that the rules are made by The Teachers' Council of Thailand and teachers and administrators in OBEC schools have to comply with the rules. i.e. when working in OBEC schools teachers and administrators must hold a TCT teacher license. However, until now they are Immigration and Labour that are enforcing the rules. Schools don't or didn't enforce the requirements.

When your agency is asking you for documents to apply for a provisional teaching permit or teacher license, I think the agency was ordered to do so by its employer i.e. the government school where you're placed.

Thanks for the reply.

The school is closely linked to the Language School/ Agency I work for as the Mother of the English Deptartments Daughter is the head of the language school, if that makes sense.

My Visa from Vientiane has written at the top that I can only work on behalf of the Language School. The other guys at my school have visas from Savannaket and no notice at the top about which school they work for.

The Mother is saying we need TL's but they want to put the name of the Gov. School on the WP. I told them I thought it would be impossible to do for me as mine has the name of the language school on the WP.

In simple terms I don't know where I stand, plus time is ticking down on my visa as they are taking there sweet time.

Thanks

:D

It would appear that the language school cannot employ you legally. Maybe not enough Thai employees, or maybe not enough paid up capital.

Maybe they are just placing you and making money out of you.(most probable)

• Like 1

The language school is going to put me on their staff and WP for the language school, the other guys will be on the gov school WP.

I think??

Edited by jambco984

The language school is going to put me on their staff and WP for the language school, the other guys will be on the gov school WP. I think?? biggrin.png

If you have a WP for the language school you cannot teach at the government school.

The language school is going to put me on their staff and WP for the language school, the other guys will be on the gov school WP. I think?? Posted Image

If you have a WP for the language school you cannot teach at the government school.

But the language school are providing the other teachers?

Nothing is ever easy, I will find out.

:(

"If you have a WP for the language school you cannot teach at the government school."

You can if the work location in the WP is the government schools address. There can be more than one location in the WP.

A language school is classified as a non-formal school. The TCT has no jurisdiction over non-formal schools. It depends on your local labour office, but normally the first school on your wp will be the language school. The formal school you're contracted to will be added later. You don't need a TL or TL waiver for the language school part. It then depends on how your labour and Education offices interpret labour and education regulations regarding the formal school addition. It also depends on how effective your language school owner is when negotiating with them.

• Like 1

A friend of mine works for a language school and they have a contract with two government schools to supply teachers, quite normal according to him. So if you are employed by the language school with a work permit then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help so far folks.

My boss will be sorting things out on Monday (apparently).

Posted Image

Do let us know how things progress - it's really quite an interesting situation!  Posted Image

Will do.

Update: My boss went to the labour office armed with a medical and lots of paper and was told the standard medical wasn't good enough and that I needed a blood test to check for syphillis and elephantosis (excuse the spelling if needed).

The boss asked can I get a WP with the Language School and the Government School in a book after all this, the answer was yes just bring a medical with a blood test.

No teachers license waiver required.

Will give final details when I know more.

• Like 1

Update: My boss went to the labour office armed with a medical and lots of paper and was told the standard medical wasn't good enough and that I needed a blood test to check for syphillis and elephantosis (excuse the spelling if needed).

The boss asked can I get a WP with the Language School and the Government School in a book after all this, the answer was yes just bring a medical with a blood test.

biggrin.png

Rule since 2010.

• Like 1

Posted Image

Rule since 2010.

Care to ellaborate? Reference or link please.

I pick my WP up on Friday all sorted now.

Had to have a proper ish medical, blood test and x-ray yesterday as they don't accept the 50 baht medical anymore.

Cheers.

• Like 1

A language school is classified as a non-formal school. The TCT has no jurisdiction over non-formal schools. It depends on your local labour office, but normally the first school on your wp will be the language school. The formal school you're contracted to will be added later. You don't need a TL or TL waiver for the language school part. It then depends on how your labour and Education offices interpret labour and education regulations regarding the formal school addition. It also depends on how effective your language school owner is when negotiating with them.

Some language schools are registered as schools so the rules do apply. But I do understand that most are registered as businesses.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Some language schools are registered as schools so the rules do apply. But I do understand that most are registered as businesses.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

My understanding is that unless they are registered as a school with the Ministry of Education (school license), they are not a school. A school can employ teachers. I'm sure a 'business' without a school license cannot employ teachers, obtain non-immigrant B visas for teaching and work permits for teaching because they are not schools. A business requires 4 Thai staff to every 1 foreign work permit. A school doesn't.