Fish Ball Noodles

LawrenceChee

For those who have worked in Singapore and Malaysia and miss a good bowl of fish ball noodles in the hawker street stalls

You can head off to the junction of Ton Kwan in Hang Dong area.

It's right opposite the Tesco Lotus Express and I have been told this is the best fish ball noodle in Chiang Mai and I agree !!!!

Since I was told in March ...I have been there for no less than 10 times and its 35 baht a bowl and you can order extra fishballs if you like.

If you don't speak Thai just point at the noodles and soup or dry and they will get it right for you

Fishballs are bouncy and the broth is great !!!

Seen enough posh cars and semi famous people ....locals are all there to enjoy this noodle dish.

do they have meepok noodles?

5432348885_a657157d2c_z.jpg

would totally kill for this w00t.gif

in tanin market, there is a stall selling minced pork noodles. i always request the khao soi noodles instead, though i get a strange look and it doesnt taste like the singapore style noodles but it does kill the craving slightly

• Like 1

I shy or rather run away from all the balls, fish, pork and beef I mean, because of my fear that they contain borax which is a legal food additive in Thailand (but not in Indonesia, Singapore etc.) which is used as a binder and give them that bouncy quality. Do you know if they make them themselves? And on a less important note how do you recognize semi-famous ppl. here?

They make it themselves on site ;-)

I guess you know there are some kind of stars when they have people holding umbrellas, fanning them and all the Thais are snapping away on their phones :-)

I don't watch Thai Telly and have no idea but they are eye candy

• Like 1

I shy or rather run away from all the balls, fish, pork and beef I mean, because of my fear that they contain borax which is a legal food additive in Thailand (but not in Indonesia, Singapore etc.) which is used as a binder and give them that bouncy quality. Do you know if they make them themselves? And on a less important note how do you recognize semi-famous ppl. here?

I never touch "balls" blink.png in Thailand either. Who knows what part of the animal these balls are made of?

Thai friends of mine who are very picky eaters swear that the fish balls made at the chain of restaurants with the purple sign (can't recall the name but there is one on Chang Klan, one on Arak, one on Super Highway and more popping up every day) are made at the restaurant from real fish and have won many awards for being of the highest quality.

They can be "homemade" and still be full of unhealthful chemicals and other ingredients, especially I think with a chain of restaurants. There is a fish ball place on the moat that's plasters all this healthy signs about and say they make their own in the back but the term healthy can be relative. Wish I could find out more but they couldn't/wouldn't even tell me what kind of fish they use.

Edited by junglechef

Personally I like Jiang better though; they have many other dishes in addition to the fish ball stuff. (Branches on Chang Klan and a new one on the Western moat.

There seems to be Jiang boom at the moment, new places popping up everywhere.

Hi Lawrence where actually is Ton Kwan junction...how far is it from the airport plaza...need to try....thanks

Heya Chuang

From airport plaza go straight past the Makro till u past the last junction to turn right to Sameong

From there u will drive straight and past the Tesco Express to make a U turn

It's like a 10 min drive max from airport plaza

Personally I like Jiang better though; they have many other dishes in addition to the fish ball stuff. (Branches on Chang Klan and a new one on the Western moat.

There seems to be Jiang boom at the moment, new places popping up everywhere.

Yes that's the place I meant...Jiang.