Interpol To Lead Crackdown On Pirated Goods: Thailand

webfact

Interpol to lead piracy crackdown
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai police will be joining the Interpol-led weeklong crackdown on pirated goods, which kicks off tomorrow. Also participating are Bangladesh, Fiji, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, the Philippines and Vietnam.

Police adviser Pol General Chalermkiat Sriworakhan said officers will raid eight areas in Bangkok, namely the Khlong Thom Market, Ban Mor, Saphan Lek, MBK, Pantip, Sukhumvit Sois 13-19, Silom and Soi Patpong. Raids are also planned for Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin, and Chiang Mai.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-24

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice of the police to warn the criminals before the crackdown.

Tap the phones of the local police chief in the district where the illegal goods are sold.

That would be interesting.

I remember when CNN was investigating the sale of endangered animals at the JJ Market. They documented the sales with hidden cameras.

They made the mistake of going to the police and the shops selling the animals were tipped off and nothing was found........

• Like 2

Police adviser Pol General Chalermkiat Sriworakhan said officers will raid eight areas in Bangkok, namely the Khlong Thom Market, Ban Mor, Saphan Lek, MBK, Pantip, Sukhumvit Sois 13-19, Silom and Soi Patpong. Raids are also planned for Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin, and Chiang Mai.

Muppet.

You also might like to pay a visit - don't forget to call ahead first - to the fake movie sellers just outside Phayonyothin Place near where I work. I'm available if you need clearer directions. The police - your colleagues - get paid off every week, when they also get to select a handful of movies.

For evidence, I'm sure, in their relentless war against copyright fraud and piracy.

• Like 1

Nothing like giving the piraters a big heads up

They might as well say "Please remove your fake goods for 10 days while we pretend to go after fakes"

Just more lip service to make it seem like they are doing something

What a waste of time

IMO opinion to any big wigs up the food chain, so they need to give advance notice

and that would disrupt the money supply if they shut own all the fake sellers

• Like 2

Maybe, just maybe the good General is using a 'war room tactic' point /adverise in one direction and attack in another.

Ok, maybe that is giving too much credit to the individual and his understanding/practice of tactics as he did not devoluge the exact time this circle jerk will kick off.

Nice of the Police to give everyone notice and the duration of the crackdown laugh.png .

Kicks off tomorrow! Vendors, hide your stuff!!!

Same as last time when they announced on TV that they were about to raid a huge pirated goods outlet, after they finished they announced that they could not find any pirated goods, (makes one think doesn't it)

Only those of very limited ability would be unable to see that announcing where and when the "raids" take place BEFORE they take place will look rather stupid in the eyes of the press and the public.

Whatever they intend and however effective this press announcement can do nothing but further make the authorities a laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the world.

I call it a fair play giving a leg up to would be offenders, not much unlike a fox hunt

where the bugles are heralding the coming of the dogs and the hunters and the

the hunt is on....

• Like 1

Thai government is relying on outside agency probably because a) no Thais are truly interested in busting this slice of the economy and B) and the career/life of any participating Thai official or police officer will be over if they help the sting. Wonder if Interpol folks will have any language issues???

I'm sorry, I just don't believe it.

Too many Thai people make a living from selling copy goods, and it's not really something that Thai's see as wrong (understandably) so they will go through the motions of a clampdown, then it'll be business as usual.

The only thing the clampdowns achieve is a opportunity for the police to make more money! They seize goods then sell it back or to another vendor.

It's a very clever move by the Thai police to announce the areas to be raided, also the one week length of the crackdown.

It's Interpol led, so there's an outside influence; an outside influence that could inadvertently cut off some of the BIB's money supply.

Announce the areas, Interpol happy there are no pirated goods, one week later business as usual for the vendors and the police.

• Like 2

"Outsiders" meddling in Thai business. This should work out well.

Gets me is that Interpol can not detain a wanted Thai criminal and help return him to Thailand but they can come in to Thailand and help arrest penny ante sellers of fake goods.

A National Headline will read

Interpol arrests mom and Pop street venders for selling knock off copies of CD's

• Like 1