Thai Nationals To Be Caned For Overstaying In Brunei: Report

webfact

I suppose Thailand could incorporate caning into their idiosyncratic justice system.

For example if found guilty of a certain crime and presuming you didn't have well connected parents, hadn't run away whilst on bail or weren't a MP during a parliamentary session then a sentence could consist of something like ten years in jail or five strokes of the cane or a two hundred baht fine.

"Thainess, Thainess. they call it Thainess"......... Khun Suggs.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to reports from the Immigration Detention Centre in Thailand, overstayers from undeveloped Asian countries are beaten and slapped by police cadets as part of the cadets' training.

Again, you see the same cultural traits throughout S E Asia, but in Thailand the practices tend to be informal whilst in places like Singapore and Brunei, they are codified into the law.

Same same but different. wink.png

• Like 1

Nice in the computer Graphic, the lashes are being administered and supervised by white caucasians. Don't let the Thai's think for a minute that this is a punishment administered by Asians...God forbid. The guys in the picture look more like members of the EDL than A Balinese Muslim. Still, give it 15-20 years the way things are going and the picture will be quite accurate as most Magistrate courts in the UK will be dishing out a similar punishment !!!

Nice in the computer Graphic, the lashes are being administered and supervised by white caucasians. Don't let the Thai's think for a minute that this is a punishment administered by Asians...God forbid. The guys in the picture look more like members of the EDL than A Balinese Muslim. Still, give it 15-20 years the way things are going and the picture will be quite accurate as most Magistrate courts in the UK will be dishing out a similar punishment !!!

Brunei. What does that have to do with Balinese Muslims smile.png

>>Nice in the computer Graphic, the lashes are being administered and supervised by white caucasians. Don't let the Thai's think for a minute that this is a punishment administered by Asians...God forbid. The guys in the picture look more like members of the EDL than A Balinese Muslim. Still, give it 15-20 years the way things are going and the picture will be quite accurate as most Magistrate courts in the UK will be dishing out a similar punishment !!!

Brunei. What does that have to do with Balinese Muslims smile.png

LMAO. Yep, wrote it went for a coffee in the garden came back and thought oops, its the other B place, Brunei. Edit button gone LoL. Well spotted.

Edited by GentlemanJim

This punishment existed in British Malaya and Singapore but like corporal punishment in the UK at the time it was generally handed out only for robbery with violence, assault with a deadly weapon and similar crimes of violence. It was also only used about 10-20 times a year in the last years of British rule in Singapore. Witnesses at the time claimed that it was not likely to cause scarring for life as it does today. Flogging was also usually a punishment in itself in colonial times, i.e. you were dragged off and flogged after the court hearing and that was the end of it. In Singapore and Malaysia it is always combined with a prison sentence. Singapore today canes more men in one session than were caned in a year under British rule and it can be given out for all kinds of non-violent crimes including white collar crime, taking soft drugs and overstaying just as in Brunei. The Singaporeans, Malaysians and Bruneians have gone completely overboard on corporal punishment which surprisingly doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. It seems rather barbaric and futile. It would be more justifiable if they reverted to the original system of only administering it for serious crimes of violence.

• Like 1

Overstaying in Brunei seems like a punishment in itself.

I hope they get a good seat on the plane ride home.

Sentence them to an eight hour stopover at the international airport. They'll wish they'd been caned.

8 hours is far too harsh.

Though the airport is now being redeveloped !!!

• Like 1

Caning for serious crimes is ok but I think it's too harsh for overstaying. I mean you're putting overstayers in the same league as rapists and drug smugglers. How many TV posters would a few cuts on the backside if they did that here too?

I dont see many rapists and murderers getting the cane ? Come on , get real !!

So if a - say - British national were to overstay in Brunei, would he get the same treatment or it this just for "undeveloped" countries like Thailand?

As a British National you would be treated the same I think. If I had over stayed and the cane was given to me for my punishment , I would agree to it and accept it , rather than spend any amount of time in any of the jails there . Believe me , the cane is a better choice and you may actually like it biggrin.png

Edited by sunholidaysun1

How the hell is anyone supposed to know about your medieval law if they're not from your country to begin with?

And if nobody knows about it before they break it, then how is it supposed to be a deterrent?

And if it's not a deterrent, then what is it?

Well if you're ignorant enough to not learn the laws of the country before visiting, more fool you! Like eating a Big Mac on the MRT in Singapore and getting whacked for it... who would have thought. Have spent time in Brunei and found it and the people cool. It's their way so have it or don't go.

• Like 2

Just curious what a Balinese Muslim has to do with a report on Thais to be caned in Brunei.

Just curious what a Balinese Muslim has to do with a report on Thais to be caned in Brunei.

They were on holiday.

This is justice in Islam for you. I lived in Saudi 6 years, I know (no they did not cane me) :-)) However as far as I know the person doing the caning has to have a copy of the Koran under his arm when delivering the punishment, so it won't be too. severe

Barbaric indeed.

I agree totally, in this day and age not needed, little difference between military using torture and this. About time all countries outlawed this form of punishment, I thought we left the middle ages some time ago although guess not all countries.

Perhaps the Thai authorities would like to introduce caning for Brunei nationals who commit the slightest misdemeanor in Thailand.

Reminds of that cheeky N.Korean taughting the US Guards at the border, when he stumbles over the line and gets nabbed.

Barbaric indeed.

I agree totally, in this day and age not needed, little difference between military using torture and this. About time all countries outlawed this form of punishment, I thought we left the middle ages some time ago although guess not all countries.

Perhaps you should take the predomonent religion in Brunei into consideration.

Relax genius, the photo is from Coconuts Bangkok, a site run by Byron Perry, Spencer Weed, and Jeff Bond.

You can find the original article at the Borneo Bulletin.

I don't get it, so is that supposed to be Byron, Spencer and Jeff in the picture then?

Genius yes, telepathic, ....no wink.png

Anyway I doubt the Thais will do it again! A photo of the end result of a caning. Not for the faint hearted. Ouch! Double ouch!!!

http://photo-journ.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/malaysia-caning-330x343.jpg

Whatever it was that he did, I'll bet that he won't do it again !

My first thought was that there are not enough facts about this story for me to be able to form a sound opinion on the matter. And then it occurred to me that the Brunei officials do not seem to care about anything other than the fact that they are on overstay. There is a mention of "reasonable causes" but there is no description.

It seems to me that I cannot say this is barbaric or not giving credence to what those reasonable causes may be, and whether or not the foreigners were aware of the ramifications of doing something that they may have then thought was not an offense that would bring this on.

I did look up on the Internet and found this description of the caning process in detail (here) and the list which has the offenses that compel a caning (here).

If it is true that these foreigners were on overstay for more than 90 days, then I cannot say I have too much sympathy for their lack of due diligence whilst being in a host country. 90 day is more than enough time to have a little sense of urgency and to demonstrate the ability to inquire; hence showing your host country you are trying to be responsible and respectful to their laws.

Message to the foreigners: "You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy."

Edit: I just wanted to add that the cane is applied to the buttocks. Perhaps if more Thai children were given the appropriate pressure to their buttocks when they got out of line, then stories like this would not be so prevalent as they are in Thailand.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 2

......here, with practical lawlessness......where foreigners are heckled. mocked, ridiculed, robbed....etc, etc, etc,.....at the hands of Thais.

.....they cannot play those games elsewhere...thank goodness....

......(unless they have millions or billions....perhaps).....

Edited by SOTIRIOS

And Thailand just got into bed with the sickest, The President of Iran. Good Luck with that.

For serious crimes like rape, human traficking or robbery maybe, but for a non-crime like overstaying it's pervert, barbaric and sadistic and belongs in the Middleages. Sick minded retards.

My first thought was that there are not enough facts about this story for me to be able to form a sound opinion on the matter. And then it occurred to me that the Brunei officials do not seem to care about anything other than the fact that they are on overstay. There is a mention of "reasonable causes" but there is no description.

It seems to me that I cannot say this is barbaric or not giving credence to what those reasonable causes may be, and whether or not the foreigners were aware of the ramifications of doing something that they may have then thought was not an offense that would bring this on.

I did look up on the Internet and found this description of the caning process in detail (here) and the list which has the offenses that compel a caning (here).

If it is true that these foreigners were on overstay for more than 90 days, then I cannot say I have too much sympathy for their lack of due diligence whilst being in a host country. 90 day is more than enough time to have a little sense of urgency and to demonstrate the ability to inquire; hence showing your host country you are trying to be responsible and respectful to their laws.

Message to the foreigners: "You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy."

Edit: I just wanted to add that the cane is applied to the buttocks. Perhaps if more Thai children were given the appropriate pressure to their buttocks when they got out of line, then stories like this would not be so prevalent as they are in Thailand.

Presumably, based on your last paragraph you advocate a return to corporal punishment in schools the world over. Why would you single Thai children out? Do you believe the children in Europe, US and Aussie are all well behaved studious and cause no trouble?

• Like 2

Don't buld your hopes up too much regarding UK magistrates. We can all dream.