As A Foreigner, What Is Your Advice For Today's Thai Youth?

udonthani1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow your heart, live! be kind, work hard for those you love, marry only for love, be good to your children, drive carefully, avoid drugs, limit your alcohol, stay away from bad people, try and improve your life through education, take holidays and long breaks when you can, look after your health, be kind to your family, nurture and cherish your friends and dont be too hard on yourself when you make a mistake because that is how you learn. Take risks, try something new whenever the opportunity presents itself.Watch the sun rise and the sun set and appreciate the wonderful world we live in. When things look to be at their absolute worst, smile and never ever ever give up because things always get better...and most of all, keep in mind that life is short and precious and oh so beautiful.Live the life you were gifted with and never look back.

• Like 1

"Learn as much English as possible. Master the language."

It depends on what Thai youth you are talking to. The emphasis on the learning of the English language for the majority of Thais is quite frankly overrated, as most of them will never use it! This will probably upset the teaching fraternity on TV, but for the majority of the country outside the commercial areas they speak and run their lives using Thai as they have done for centuries.

Why would a rice/sugar cane farmer need to know another language as all his trading is done inside Thailand? If he doesn't need to know, why should his workers? These type of workers will never be trading in the international markets. They will have minimal contact with foreigners. That is the way it is and for people who think that learning a new language is going to change this, sorry, you are living in a dream world.

Forget language, learn a trade, as mentioned earlier by Rene123!

Of course the above changes if the youth has potential to be exposed to international markets or visitors to their land or to work overseas. But, percentage wise throughout the Thai populous this, I would imagine would be very small.

Fine balance.

But most of what I see written is in Russian..

Learn English and Mandarin. Bangkok is poised between Singapore and Hong Kong, as the third in line for the future as an international business hub. Bangkok will become more of a business centre as time goes on.

If you really want to make a buck. Learn both languages but put English first.

By speaking a common language of the other two cities, will be an advantage to share in this development.

Follow your dream, and learn a bit about the way other cultures work. One of the biggest problems for Thais is a rigid, "we' will teach "you" education system. There is very little flow back of energy in the classroom. One of the most limiting of the national Thai traits is not being able to think outside the square. Not using the imagination or initiative.

My advice is to get hold of a dream and follow what your heart says is good for you. Try not to let your elders live your life for you, certainly after you're 21.

Get out of the country as often as possible and see what's out there.

If nothing else at least learn to be reasonably fluent in English, it will open many doors, not just in business but to the rest of the world, and the many visitors from countries around the world who all speak English too. Modern culture has been created by the English language and although some of the world's greatest literature was written in Russian, it has all been translated into English.

This is it.

• Like 2

PS Of course the development of that thought is that all of the greatest literature from most countries, such as Russia, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, India, Japan, China, the Norse countries, the Slavik countries, etc etc has all been translated into English. English is the door through which to enter the art, history, culture, tradition, and spirituality of most of the world.

thank you thank you, I'm off for a G & T and watch the girls go by.

My endless pass time applicable anywhere . .

Gordon's preferably . .

Pointless topic

Young Thai don't take advice from their parents, needless to say they don't take anything from Farangs.

Im sure they would take money from farangs

Yes sorry of course I mean no advice

Good thread but is any thai young person going to read it?

I don't think so...

..so I will refrain from dishin out any advicewai2.gif

Yes good stuff, sleeping bear. I envy your inertia.

My advice is like the sun. Shines everyday and gives us life, but does anybody

actually notice it and its endless energy?

Some do.

Anyway I will apply my advice to my Thai/ Spanish/ Jewish/ Australian daughter and

as she is actually smarter than her father, she will no doubt heed it.

Learn English and Mandarin. Bangkok is poised between Singapore and Hong Kong, as the third in line for the future as an international business hub. Bangkok will become more of a business centre as time goes on.

If you really want to make a buck. Learn both languages but put English first.

By speaking a common language of the other two cities, will be an advantage to share in this development.

Follow your dream, and learn a bit about the way other cultures work. One of the biggest problems for Thais is a rigid, "we' will teach "you" education system. There is very little flow back of energy in the classroom. One of the most limiting of the national Thai traits is not being able to think outside the square. Not using the imagination or initiative.

My advice is to get hold of a dream and follow what your heart says is good for you. Try not to let your elders live your life for you, certainly after you're 21.

Get out of the country as often as possible and see what's out there.

If nothing else at least learn to be reasonably fluent in English, it will open many doors, not just in business but to the rest of the world, and the many visitors from countries around the world who all speak English too. Modern culture has been created by the English language and although some of the world's greatest literature was written in Russian, it has all been translated into English.

This is it.

Good Advice ,,

It depends on what Thai youth you are talking to. The emphasis on the learning of the English language for the majority of Thais is quite frankly overrated, as most of them will never use it! This will probably upset the teaching fraternity on TV, but for the majority of the country outside the commercial areas they speak and run their lives using Thai as they have done for centuries.

Why would a rice/sugar cane farmer need to know another language as all his trading is done inside Thailand? If he doesn't need to know, why should his workers? These type of workers will never be trading in the international markets. They will have minimal contact with foreigners. That is the way it is and for people who think that learning a new language is going to change this, sorry, you are living in a dream world.

Of course the above changes if the youth has potential to be exposed to international markets or visitors to their land or to work overseas. But, percentage wise throughout the Thai populous this, I would imagine would be very small.

Fine balance.

I think you might be missing the forest for the trees. Having fluency in English is perhaps most useful as a medium through which Thais would be able to learn about all manner of things (world history, scientific thought, law, medicine, philosophy, self-reflection, what other countries might REALLY think, morality, etc.) that they would not likely be able to even access having only mastered Thai. English + the internet is the ticket for the 99.9 percent of non-Elite Thais. Revolution of thought from the bottom up.

You can learn all that in Spanish and be able to get through a conversation with Italians South Americans and to a degree French.

So if learning all that is your reason for learning English why not Spanish or French or German?

I don't know what the figures are for other fields of research but 80% of scientific and medical research is published in English.

Keep your bank account secret from mommy

Three children living near to near to me, kids I see a lot, now have savings accounts, set up by me with the Government savings bank (the little pink bus) .. and if they do pocket money stuff for me, such as taking care of plants or filling up the dogs' water bowl whilst I'm away, I give them a few Baht to spend, and some in the accounts. I hold the savings books. Another adult they know, a hairdresser who also helps them with pocket money jobs, is in on the scheme. The parents of the girls know nothing about it, for very good reason.

• Like 2

If you still believe that Honda, Yamaha, Toyota are famous Thai products and are proof of the supremicy of the Thai mind and business finess shoot yourself now and avoid the loss of face when you discove the truth.

Yes it's funny, that people are stunned with disbelief when I tell them that 7/11 is all over the world, and began in Texas in the 1920s. (The name change from Tote'm Stores to 7-Eleven was 1946) It is not a Thai invention.

And that Tesco is also a multinational business. ( A what?)

Edited by TechnikaIII

Fine balance.

I think you might be missing the forest for the trees. Having fluency in English is perhaps most useful as a medium through which Thais would be able to learn about all manner of things (world history, scientific thought, law, medicine, philosophy, self-reflection, what other countries might REALLY think, morality, etc.) that they would not likely be able to even access having only mastered Thai. English + the internet is the ticket for the 99.9 percent of non-Elite Thais. Revolution of thought from the bottom up.

You can learn all that in Spanish and be able to get through a conversation with Italians South Americans and to a degree French.

So if learning all that is your reason for learning English why not Spanish or French or German?

Well, true, but, as one example, the volume of content (make no claims about quality, however) of materials on the net that use English as opposed to the others is staggeringly higher --

1000px-WebsitesByLanguagePieChart.svg.pn

1) Learn to speak English well.

2) Get a degree in the sciences.

3) Become adept at using computers and computer software.

4) Live outside of your country for an extended period.

5) Learn -- and accept -- that your country's culture and way of life isn't better than others.

6) Keep in good physical shape and maintain a curious mind.

• Like 2

learn other languages and cultures....and for pete's sake! some geography! - why should a sugar or rice farmer know about this? because Thailand and is one of the greatest exporters of rice in the world and if you know nothing about your customers then you will always be at a disadvantage to your competitors. furthermore it looks extreely likely that the lingua franca of ASEAN will be English too.

Edited by wilcopops

1) Learn to speak English well.

2) Get a degree in the sciences.

3) Become adept at using computers and computer software.

4) Live outside of your country for an extended period.

5) Learn -- and accept -- that your country's culture and way of life isn't better than others.

6) Keep in good physical shape and maintain a curious mind.

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Learning English opens up so many doors for you. That's #1.

#2 - DO NOT let the "hip hop" American culture influence the way you act in any way, shape or form. Please. It's stupid and has ruined the youth over here in America. They go from acting intelligent and striving to be a better person to acting like they are "gangsters" and trying to imitate a way of life that only a small percentage of the youth over here actually grow up and experience without having to try. I'm sure those kids wish they did not have to and could "have it good" like the rest of the idiotic kids who want to banish the resources of a good upbringing just to act like they come from the "projects" and are "thugs" or whatever. Most of them end up doing dumb stuff that gives them a criminal record and lands them in jail. Be yourself and not try to be like the guys you see on TV and the radio rapping about that life, because it's all fake. They don't live like that. It's entertainment.

I've skim read through a lot of comments about learning English or getting an overseas education and the one thing I'd like to advise all Thai youths about are all the free and easy ways they could be learning English (or any other languages for that matter).

I feel like there's this huge gulf that needs to be filled purely because Thais don't know and aren't informed about what's out there.

For example, one of my wife's friends with a 7-year old son in a quite an expensive Thai school recently came round. I was pretty shocked about the school fees she was paying, then doubly shocked that the boy couldn't string a sentence together. I then showed the mother all the free websites like starfall.com which teach reading, and all the free youtube videos that help with listening. She had a iPhone 5 and spent all day taking pictures of herself and playing Candy Crush but had no idea about all the free ways her son could be learning English.

Even a 2,000 baht mobile phone has a touch screen and WiFi - all Thai kids have them but none know or care about what they could be using them for beyond facebook and LINE.

Quite simple: get an education outside of the Thai system, which is not going to be reformed anytime soon. Sadly, impossible for ~95% of the population.

They can get as much education as their minds can store if they learn English and have access to the net, the latter which most do/will.