Growing Fruit Etc In Thailand. Any Successes? (or Failures)

Pets & Vets in Thailand

Discussions about our beloved Pets and how to make them happy and healthy. Farming, gardening, animals.

Well, here goes...... :D

Whether you have a Bangkok balcony or 500 rai, what have you got growing in the way of Fruit Trees, etc.?

post-2707-1143327217_thumb.jpg

Here's a partial list of what you might be able to grow, either in a container or in your garden / orchard.

Common names, Thai names & Scientific names here

http://www.ku.ac.th/AgrInfo/fruit/title_fr.html

Here’s a partial list

AVOCADO

BETEL NUT

CANTALOUPE

CARAMBOLA; (Star fruit)

CASHEW NUT

COCOA

COCONUT

COFFEE

DRAGON FRUIT

GUAVA

JAVA APPLE

JUJUBE

LANGSAT

LIMES

LONGAN

LYCHEE

MANGO

MANGOSTEEN

MARIAN PLUM

MULBERRY

NEEM

NONI

PAPAYA

PASSION FRUIT

PEPPERCORNS

PINEAPPLE

POMEGRANATE

POMELO (my favourite) :o

RAMBUTAN

SALAK PALM

SANTOL

SAPODILLA

STAR GOOSEBERRY

STRAWBERRY

SUGAR APPLE

SWEET ORANGE

SWEET TAMARIND

TAMARIND

TANGERINE

WATERMELON

YOUNG COCONUT

OTHER TROPICAL AND SUB TROPICALS with Scientific / Latin names

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/tropindex.htm

Abiu

Acerola Cherry

Ambarella

Amla

Avocado

Babaco

Bilimbi

Black Sapote

Brazillian Cherry

Canistel

Cape Gooseberry

Capulin Cherry

Carambola

Casana

Cherimoya

Cherry of Rio Grande

Cocona

Custard Apple

Feijoa

Giant Lau_Lau

Governors Plum

Green Sapote

Grumichama

Ice Cream Bean

Imbe

Jaboticaba

Jaboticaba - Yellow

Jambolan Plum

Jelly Palm

Kei Apple

Lakoocha or Monkey Jack

Madrono

Malay Apple

Mamey Sapote

Matisia

Monstero

Naranjilla

Natal Plum

Panama Berry

Peanut Butter Tree

Pepino

Pitomba

Poshte

Raspberries

Rollinia

Sapodilla

Sea Grape

Soncoya

Soursop

Soursop Mountain

Star Gooseberry

Sweetsop

Tamarillo

Wampee

Wax Jambu

White Sapote

Yellow Mangosteen

CROP LIST (Purdue Uni)

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/Indices/index_ab.html

If you have a good link, please post it here. :D

Have you had any problems finding plants you'd like to grow in Thailand?

Know a good plant nursery or Hort supply shop?

Where to buy vermiculite etc?

Have you got a Noni plant in your garden...... do you know what a noni plant looks like or a Neem tree?

We have a small avocado orchard

post-4641-1143342951_thumb.jpg (flowers on our avocado trees)

post-4641-1143343182_thumb.jpg

and I am growing a lemon tree (well, a ponderosa lemon) which is quite big now. Hope to get fruit next year. Have also started a grapefruit tree, its still only small tho (from seed).

I like to plant the betel nut tree as a border plant (ie property border) as it looks nice and the fruit can be sold (or given to my mother-in-law).

My mother-in-law is very big into planting fruit trees all over the place; jackfruit, rambutan, durian and mango mostly.

I'd love to get some more grapefruits going, and maybe some of those red chumpoo trees --we have lots of the green ones but the red fruits are much nicer.

Hi SBK.

Maybe someone could send you a few cuttings from grapefruit trees to propagate.

I'm sure grapefruit are grown in Thailand but I don't know where.

Good luck with the Lemon and Avocados. :o

Note: If anyone is interested in growing from cuttings, this is one of many sites with the relevant info, Here

Scroll down to "Outdoor Propagation Techniques" (pop ups)

For Plumeria try Plumeria101

post-2707-1143348070_thumb.jpg post-2707-1143348197_thumb.jpg

Plumeria are great, I have quite a few huge trees around our place, grew them from cuttings from a friend about 16 years ago. Best way to grow plumeria is to cut off a branch, strip off the leaves and let it dry a day or two before planting it. Stripping off the leaves is essential in order for the plant to root.

I am going to buy some more grapefruits to bring back with me when I go home this year as grapefruits do grow true from seed as well. Just slow. But, if there is anyone out there in Thailand that already has grapefruit trees growing I wouldn't say no to a cutting or two!

I have great success with papayas and lemons. Also have very nice mango trees but after 8 years, despite excellent growth, they refuse to yield fruit... no idea why? And I have tamarind trees but not yet mature (I gather they take some time). Oh and -- I forgot they're technically fruit!! --- I do very well with small eggplants (both the quarter-sized ones and the itsy bitsy slightly bitter ones) and have been waging a long uphill struggle with tomatoes. Making some progress but still badly hampered by leaf miners. Suggestions welcome.

I recently branched out flower-wise into roses and orchards, hesitated on oith because I was ofthe imopression they are difficult but both are thriving. Orchards are actually easy (knock on wood) at least if you live in an usually humid spot as I do. And for roses I went with some local variants that are not as large or pretty as in the west but do much better in this climate.

and I am growing a lemon tree (well, a ponderosa lemon) which is quite big now. Hope to get fruit next year.

How did you start the Avocado and Lemon trees?

I tried to get an Avocado tree started but the seed/stone would not propogate.

Lemon trees are interesting but I read that they take years before they fruit. How long have you had yours if you are expecting fruit next year and how did you start it off?

I'v grown lemons both from comemrcially purchased seedlingd and also from seeds. The seedlings fruited in about 2-3 years, the ones from seed took 4-5. But they last a long time, unlike papaya. Over to SBK re avocados....

and I am growing a lemon tree (well, a ponderosa lemon) which is quite big now. Hope to get fruit next year.

How did you start the Avocado and Lemon trees?

I tried to get an Avocado tree started but the seed/stone would not propogate.

Lemon trees are interesting but I read that they take years before they fruit. How long have you had yours if you are expecting fruit next year and how did you start it off?

the lemon I have is not technically a lemon;

Ponderosa Lemon. 'Ponderosa' is not a true lemon although its fruit are much like citrons and lemons. It originated as a chance seedling during the 1880's. 'Ponderosa' trees are rather small and somewhat thorny; its fruit are very large and seedy, with yellow, thick, bumpy-textured peel. 'Ponderosa' is more cold sensitive than true lemons.

But apparently it has a very lemony taste to to it. I started mine from seed obtained from a friend who grew them in Florida, USA.

Avocadoes are actually pretty easy to start from seed, esp if you are starting them here in Thailand. The main problem is that they don't bear true from seed. We obtained grafted trees about 8 years ago, they were very small and took about 6 years to first fruit. I am growing new ones from seeds from our tree but only to graft branches onto (from our best fruiting trees).

Anyway, all I do is stick them in some dirt, pointy end up (flat end down) about halfway into the soil. Keep well watered. Within a week or two they usually split open and send up a small shoot.

Hi Sheryl.

you could try spraying the bugs with Neem oil spray.

Sorry, I don't know the Thai name for it but do know that it's harmless to pets and birds.

Google "Neem spray or oil thailand"

Some Google results

Thanks Udon. Do you -- or anyone else out there -- know where one can buy it in Thailand? I've just been through a major hassle with a parcel at customs and shudder to think what a commercially shipped package of Neem insecticide spray might set off.... :o so would prefer to buy it here if I can. Anyone know?????

Hi Sheryl.

you could try spraying the bugs with Neem oil spray.

Sorry, I don't know the Thai name for it but do know that it's harmless to pets and birds.

Google "Neem spray or oil thailand"

Some Google results

Thanks Udon. Do you -- or anyone else out there -- know where one can buy it in Thailand? I've just been through a major hassle with a parcel at customs and shudder to think what a commercially shipped package of Neem insecticide spray might set off.... :o so would prefer to buy it here if I can. Anyone know?????

You could try www.thaineem.com if you speak/read thai or a call to Homepro.

You get a lot of spray from a 1 litre bottle of concentrate, you can mix it from 100/1 to 200/1 for frequent spraying, esp under the leaves.

Gardenweb & Neem Oil

Maybe Bambi or someone else, could tell us what the translation is Here next to the bottle, price and quantity?

cheers

You could try www.thaineem.com if you speak/read thai or a call to Homepro.

cheers

Thanks a lot -- I've seen tyhose bottles but had no idea it was Neem, assumed it was some type of lethal chemical....will try it & let you know :o

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not, Mrs Scouse attempted to cultivate watermelon in our back garden. Bearing in mind that we live 53 degrees north of the equator, this was never going to be too succesful, even in the height of summer. Needless to say, the crop foundered, but at least she is the first to have tried to grow a tropical fruit in the almost Arctic conditions that are Scouseland.

Scouse.

• 4 months later...
Pets & Vets in Thailand

Discussions about our beloved Pets and how to make them happy and healthy. Farming, gardening, animals.

Well, here goes...... :D

Whether you have a Bangkok balcony or 500 rai, what have you got growing in the way of Fruit Trees, etc.?

post-2707-1143327217_thumb.jpg

Here's a partial list of what you might be able to grow, either in a container or in your garden / orchard.

Common names, Thai names & Scientific names here

http://www.ku.ac.th/AgrInfo/fruit/title_fr.html

Udon, i got another tree in chiang rai, chinese and thai call them 'Kau luck " and its suppose to call chest nut tree. The outcover for my nuts is totally red when ripe, the nut is black colour. I did a search n chestnut but its totally different from mine here. i wanna post the pix here but my camera is out of order.

Here’s a partial list

AVOCADO

BETEL NUT

CANTALOUPE

CARAMBOLA; (Star fruit)

CASHEW NUT

COCOA

COCONUT

COFFEE

DRAGON FRUIT

GUAVA

JAVA APPLE

JUJUBE

LANGSAT

LIMES

LONGAN

LYCHEE

MANGO

MANGOSTEEN

MARIAN PLUM

MULBERRY

NEEM

NONI

PAPAYA

PASSION FRUIT

PEPPERCORNS

PINEAPPLE

POMEGRANATE

POMELO (my favourite) :o

RAMBUTAN

SALAK PALM

SANTOL

SAPODILLA

STAR GOOSEBERRY

STRAWBERRY

SUGAR APPLE

SWEET ORANGE

SWEET TAMARIND

TAMARIND

TANGERINE

WATERMELON

YOUNG COCONUT

OTHER TROPICAL AND SUB TROPICALS with Scientific / Latin names

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/tropindex.htm

Abiu

Acerola Cherry

Ambarella

Amla

Avocado

Babaco

Bilimbi

Black Sapote

Brazillian Cherry

Canistel

Cape Gooseberry

Capulin Cherry

Carambola

Casana

Cherimoya

Cherry of Rio Grande

Cocona

Custard Apple

Feijoa

Giant Lau_Lau

Governors Plum

Green Sapote

Grumichama

Ice Cream Bean

Imbe

Jaboticaba

Jaboticaba - Yellow

Jambolan Plum

Jelly Palm

Kei Apple

Lakoocha or Monkey Jack

Madrono

Malay Apple

Mamey Sapote

Matisia

Monstero

Naranjilla

Natal Plum

Panama Berry

Peanut Butter Tree

Pepino

Pitomba

Poshte

Raspberries

Rollinia

Sapodilla

Sea Grape

Soncoya

Soursop

Soursop Mountain

Star Gooseberry

Sweetsop

Tamarillo

Wampee

Wax Jambu

White Sapote

Yellow Mangosteen

CROP LIST (Purdue Uni)

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/Indices/index_ab.html

If you have a good link, please post it here. :D

Have you had any problems finding plants you'd like to grow in Thailand?

Know a good plant nursery or Hort supply shop?

Where to buy vermiculite etc?

Have you got a Noni plant in your garden...... do you know what a noni plant looks like or a Neem tree?

Soursop (annona muricata) is related to the Noi Na or sugar apple (annona squamosa) as well as the custard apple (annona chermiola). I have never seen it here myself but it should grow given the tropical climate.

here is a pic of the soursop

post-4641-1157093346_thumb.jpg

Soursop (annona muricata) is related to the Noi Na or sugar apple (annona squamosa) as well as the custard apple (annona chermiola). I have never seen it here myself but it should grow given the tropical climate.

here is a pic of the soursop

post-4641-1157093346_thumb.jpg

I used to have few tree around my house in singapore. I love soursop. In singapore, we call it soursop in english but in chinese we call it hong mao durian or ang mo liu lian.

Hong mao/ang mo= farang

liu lian = durian :o

Edited by oilysang

• 1 year later...

post-4641-1143342951_thumb.jpg (flowers on our avocado trees)

post-4641-1143343182_thumb.jpg

and I am growing a lemon tree (well, a ponderosa lemon) which is quite big now. Hope to get fruit next year. Have also started a grapefruit tree, its still only small tho (from seed).

I like to plant the betel nut tree as a border plant (ie property border) as it looks nice and the fruit can be sold (or given to my mother-in-law).

My mother-in-law is very big into planting fruit trees all over the place; jackfruit, rambutan, durian and mango mostly.

I'd love to get some more grapefruits going, and maybe some of those red chumpoo trees --we have lots of the green ones but the red fruits are much nicer.

Hi there -

I have been searching for Avocado trees for the past five years in BKK, Udon Thani and along the road in Pak Chong without any success.

Any help in finding a nursery!

Thanks