Thais Failing To Sit In Assigned Seats At The Cinema -- Sign Of Societal Meltdown?

My personal experience recently is that Thai people, specifically Thai people in Pattaya, are quite often NOT sitting in their assigned cinema seats!

Personally, I insist on sitting in my assigned seat for the main reason I don't wish to sit it another person's seat.

When I confront these cinema anarchists, without fail, they KNOW they did it, and get up right away without protest (usually moving to other probably random seats that aren't their's either).

OK, I "attend" the cinema fairly frequently and I have noticed this disturbing and demoralizing trend over the last year but have failed to post about it until now. The reason I hesitated was I reckoned this might just be a weird coincidence, but NOW this has happened to me 3 out of the last 4 times I have gone to the movies. So I can't be the only one.

Previous to this year, I honestly can't remember this happening to me here ... ever!

I come from a country that doesn't assign cinema seats. But in THAILAND, they DO assign cinema seats.

What does this mean that Thais themselves are disrespecting their own cinema system?

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting....

Are these people paying for the cheap seats down the front, then making their way towards the middle, or the back to the more expensive ones?

Great question.

Interestingly, no.

I always buy the cheap seats myself.

Interesting....

Are these people paying for the cheap seats down the front, then making their way towards the middle, or the back to the more expensive ones?

Great question.

Interestingly, no.

I loathe sitting near the front. I have never bought the premium back row, but i prefer towards the back , in the centre

• Like 2

Interesting....

Great question.

Interestingly, no.

I loathe sitting near the front. I have never bought the premium back row, but i prefer towards the back , in the centre

This might be a clue. I tend to buy as far back in the cheap seats as are free. But I avoid busy showtimes. These incidents have happened in mostly empty theaters and also in medium full theaters. But my seat preferences haven't changed over the years, so I still think this behavior might be a new trend.

If the cinema is not full who gives a rats ass where people sit ?

I give a rat's ass because other people give a rat's ass. If you sit in another seat than you bought, the people that actually bought your seat may show up and they might give a rat's ass. There is more rat's ass than you might think at the Thai cinemas.

post-37101-0-52480900-1369469719_thumb.j

That's what I meant by societal meltdown. Considering other people. If the system is assigned seats, it's normal to sit in your assigned seat. If this cinema system is breaking down, what else in Thailand is breaking down?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

A related question:

I wonder how many people would just go with the flow and just meekly ALLOW the movie seat interlopers to have their way with their seats?

I would if I found that there were even better seats available in a largely empty cinema.

I give a rat's ass because other people give a rat's ass. If you sit in another seat than you bought, the people that actually bought your seat may show up and they might give a rat's ass. There is more rat's ass than you might think at the Thai cinemas.

That's what I meant by societal meltdown. Considering other people. If the system is assigned seats, it's normal to sit in your assigned seat. If this cinema system is breaking down, what else in Thailand is breaking down?

Wow you need to let off some steam, I suggest going to the cinema.

• Like 1

I probably go to a couple hundred movies a year, so well over 1,200 since I've lived here - in Bangkok, and I think I've seen maybe three seat conflicts in that time. These seemed due to darkness, or maybe misreading the row/seat number, rather than a "societal meltdown" (no hyperbole there). rolleyes.gif

I just think that the frequency this has happened to me in the last year had to be more than a coincidence. Also as far as blaming it on darkness, that would more likely be a problem with old people. Generally the interlopers haven't generally been older people.

Same thing occasionally happens on buses ,trains and Air Asia flights ...if someone doesn't like their assigned seat , they'll adopt another ,hoping that the "owner" will meekly go sit somewhere else . Good fun watching the entire bus shuffle seats when someone stands their ground !!

Ok I"ve given this important dilemma serious consideration and conclude that any action should depend upon the nature of the movie.

If its Mary Poppins then grab tge interlopers hotdog and ran it up their left nostril.

If its mass destruction and gore type of movie then sit as close to the emergency exit as possible.

Gawd....I've probably saved your life JT! :)

I just think that the frequency this has happened to me in the last year had to be more than a coincidence. Also as far as blaming it on darkness, that would more likely be a problem with old people. Generally the interlopers haven't generally been older people.

Watch movies at the Avenue........... seen a few flicks over the past 12 months and at best there has never been more than 10 other people in the theater............. I always cheap out then move up to the cuddle chairs (which are always empty).

It's maybe just you. There;s probably blokes go to the Box Office "Which seat has JT booked?" - if it/s good enough for him, it's good enough for me....

SC

• Like 2

attachicon.gifratbum.jpg

Seating on international airline flights. There are always several people that sit in other peoples seats and it's not the cheapies. The offenders pay for the cheapies, which are the rear of the plane, then sit in the premium coach area of the plane which is right behind business over the wings.

Happened to me a couple of times so either, they can't read the seat numbers or they don't understand the system which begs the question why when asked at the ticket desk they chose a seat then go and sit somewhere else? Baffling to say the least.

Like sitting in the correct plane seat so if the unfortunate happens and the plane goes down yoi can be identified by your teeth!!

Same as sitting in someone elses seat at the pictures??

:lol:

Like sitting in the correct plane seat so if the unfortunate happens and the plane goes down yoi can be identified by your teeth!!

Same as sitting in someone elses seat at the pictures??

laugh.png

That's why I always wear my dentures in the cinema. And I hope you do, too.

• Like 1