Driving To Malaysia Via Padang Besar Border

sas_cars

Hi Guys,

Previously I did a driving trip to Malaysia via Sadao Border. Now I wanna try the same thing via Padang Besar border. Just wanted to know do they have the necessary customs booth for doing our car paperwork and also the same on the Malaysian side? Where do we get the Malaysian driving permit + Insurance?

Anybody ever did such a trip from Padang Besar? Let me know. Thanks

In Padang Besar there's a couple of places that will sort out the insurance for Malaysia as far as I can remember. It costs about 1200 - 1700 baht for three months of insurance cover, a shorter policy is around a couple of hundred baht cheaper. I went through there many a year ago, nowadays I prefer going through Sungai Kolok.

To be on the safe side, I'd sort out the insurance in Hat Yai if possible.

Padang Besar has a customs booth that makes the Sadao crossing look like hard work. Never seen that place busy, even during national holidays. The Dannok (Sadao) crossing has a hell of a lot more life than Pedang Besar for sure. You could get your insurance there and head back to the Padang crossing to see what it's like. Up to you.

The Duty Free shop at Dannok is far better, a bigger supermarket carrying a better range of western essentials.

Send me a message if you need help with insurance as my brother in law knows about these things. He lives in Hat Yai and will just give me the address and phone number of an office or two.

I hope you have a good journey regardless of where you go.

Edited by schondie
  • Like 1

and no tintted windows allowed in malaysia

So sort out insurance before reaching the border. After that nobody will check anymore.

Not sure how this helps with tinting.

They use a meter on everyone's cars as you cross into Malaysia. If the level of tinting exceeds that which is allowable - you can't go into Malaysia.

Or am I missing something here?

So sort out insurance before reaching the border. After that nobody will check anymore.

They use a meter on everyone's cars as you cross into Malaysia. If the level of tinting exceeds that which is allowable - you can't go into Malaysia.

Yes, you are missing something here.

The level of tinting is checked at the insurance office after you have crossed the border. So sort out your insurance before you reach the border and you'll have no problems because it will not be checked.

In Padang Besar there's a couple of places that will sort out the insurance for Malaysia as far as I can remember. It costs about 1200 - 1700 baht for three months of insurance cover, a shorter policy is around a couple of hundred baht cheaper. I went through there many a year ago, nowadays I prefer going through Sungai Kolok.

Padang Besar has a customs booth that makes the Sadao crossing look like hard work. Never seen that place busy, even during national holidays. The Dannok (Sadao) crossing has a hell of a lot more life than Pedang Besar for sure. You could get your insurance there and head back to the Padang crossing to see what it's like. Up to you.

The Duty Free shop at Dannok is far better, a bigger supermarket carrying a better range of western essentials.

Send me a message if you need help with insurance as my brother in law knows about these things. He lives in Hat Yai and will just give me the address and phone number of an office or two.

Thanks for such a helpful post. So I guess its possible to drive through Padang Besar border then. After passing the border, do you know where is the Malaysian road department booth which issues the driving permit for thai cars? In Sadao, its booth is around 100 meters after passing Malaysian immigration.

The level of tinting is checked at the insurance office after you have crossed the border. So sort out your insurance before you reach the border and you'll have no problems because it will not be checked.

Wrong. The level of tinting is checked at Malaysian road transport dept. This is the department which issues u a temporary driving permit for driving ur car in Malaysia.

• Like 1

Actually the window tinting for all vehicles crossing the border on the Malaysian side was being checked by uniformed transport or border officials with a meter last time I crossed. Certainly not at an insurance office.

Wrong. The level of tinting is checked at Malaysian road transport dept. This is the department which issues u a temporary driving permit for driving ur car in Malaysia.

Yes, but you can do that before you cross the border (sorry for using the wrong terminology). Do it after the border and they will check the window tint, do it before and they normally won't.

Could I get papers to cross the border with a financed car?

No, as far as i am aware you need the original documents which you won't get with a hire car - also look at the practicalities, some westerner want's to go home but has no money - simple, rent a car, drive it over the border and catch a plane! If you look in most hire agreements it states that the vehicle can not be taken across any International border

Could I get papers to cross the border with a financed car?

No, as far as i am aware you need the original documents which you won't get with a hire car - also look at the practicalities, some westerner want's to go home but has no money - simple, rent a car, drive it over the border and catch a plane! If you look in most hire agreements it states that the vehicle can not be taken across any International border

No, it's my car, just I paid a part on finance whistling.gif

Some Thai friend say me that in Sadao some agency set everything for you, paper and plate translation sticker too. Personally I'm not so sure, but he is so sure about that.

I would like to go in Cameron Highlands in August and by car is not that far from Sadao...

Thanks for such a helpful post. So I guess its possible to drive through Padang Besar border then. After passing the border, do you know where is the Malaysian road department booth which issues the driving permit for thai cars? In Sadao, its booth is around 100 meters after passing Malaysian immigration.
What the hell is a "Malaysian driving permit for Thai cars"? Last time I crossed in my Thai car, only a document from the Thai transport department in Mo Chit and a translation of the number plate plus the ownership documents (or a power of attorney were required).

What the hell is a "Malaysian driving permit for Thai cars"? Last time I crossed in my Thai car, only a document from the Thai transport department in Mo Chit and a translation of the number plate plus the ownership documents (or a power of attorney were required).

I have driven into Malaysia dozens of times over the years. I was stopped once to check if I had insurance about 12 years ago, but since then each journey into Malaysia has been totally painless. I've certainly never come across window tint checks or been asked to obtain a Malaysian permit for the car. Ever.

I have driven into Malaysia dozens of times over the years. I was stopped once to check if I had insurance about 12 years ago, but since then each journey into Malaysia has been totally painless. I've certainly never come across window tint checks or been asked to obtain a Malaysian permit for the car. Ever.

Then you were driving illegally there, the malaysian driving permit for international cars is mandatory. And that's the place which checks your tinted film before issuing you this permit. See attached pictureIMG_0579.jpg

Then you were driving illegally there, the malaysian driving permit for international cars is mandatory. And that's the place which checks your tinted film before issuing you this permit. See attached picture

As mentioned, you can also buy this permit before you cross the border, thereby eliminating the window check.

This permit is issued by Land Transport department of Malaysia. How can you buy it before you cross the border? This is not car insurance which I believe you can buy before crossing border.

Then you were driving illegally there, the malaysian driving permit for international cars is mandatory. And that's the place which checks your tinted film before issuing you this permit. See attached picture

As mentioned, you can also buy this permit before you cross the border, thereby eliminating the window check.

posted the same question in the motor forum and no answer there. So, which tinted windows are allowed percent wise? Does the insurance cover the same like a first class Thai car insurance in Thailand? A 2-door Pick Up has a higher toll fee at the highways like a normal car, is a 4X4 4 door Pick Up considered a normal car? Thai driving license or Thai international driving license necessary?

40 % tinted film is allowed

No, the insurance is only 3rd party cover.

Any 4 wheel vehicle has the same toll fee, irrespective of it being a 2 door, 4 door, 4x4, normal car or whatever

Thai driving licence (new one which has english on it) is acceptable in Malaysia, no need to get international driving license.

• Like 1