Thailand Withers As Myanmar Rises: Opinion

webfact

while Everything looks quite rosy and welcoming for Myanmar id say

1. Its still to early to judge weither actual change will happen.

2. Assuming change does happen basics like infrastructure take time to do and build. Many challenges ahead rail, roads, water, electricity.

3. Myanmar is still under control of the same people who ruled it as a dictatorship for 50 years. hard to see them allowing real change or open arms

4. No long term stability in regards to the ongoing ethnic violence. Wont take to much to send business running away again

Hope Myanmar pulls ahead but still to early to know.

By the way all next week on cnbc in the morning there covering Myanmar.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by livinthailandos

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while Everything looks quite rosy and welcoming for Myanmar id say 1. Its still to early to judge weither actual change will happen. 2. Assuming change does happen basics like infrastructure take time to do and build. Many challenges ahead rail, roads, water, electricity. 3. Myanmar is still under control of the same people who ruled it as a dictatorship for 50 years. hard to see them allowing real change or open arms 4. No long term stability in regards to the ongoing ethnic violence. Wont take to much to send business running away again Hope Myanmar pulls ahead but still to early to know. By the way all next week on cnbc in the morning there covering Myanmar. Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Japan rose from the ashes of WWII after being nuked and having its harbors destroyed in just ten years. W. Germany wasn't far behind if they were behind. Burma has huge oil, great seas, room, and the leaders want to extract the wealth. The technology and investment will come is coming from abroad.

Just watch.

• Like 1

while Everything looks quite rosy and welcoming for Myanmar id say 1. Its still to early to judge weither actual change will happen. 2. Assuming change does happen basics like infrastructure take time to do and build. Many challenges ahead rail, roads, water, electricity. 3. Myanmar is still under control of the same people who ruled it as a dictatorship for 50 years. hard to see them allowing real change or open arms 4. No long term stability in regards to the ongoing ethnic violence. Wont take to much to send business running away again Hope Myanmar pulls ahead but still to early to know. By the way all next week on cnbc in the morning there covering Myanmar. Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Japan rose from the ashes of WWII after being nuked and having its harbors destroyed in just ten years. W. Germany wasn't far behind if they were behind. Burma has huge oil, great seas, room, and the leaders want to extract the wealth. The technology and investment will come is coming from abroad.

Just watch.

Burma has not now nor has it ever had anything in common with Japan and Germany; Britain made Burma a province of India in 1886. And I don't see how dragging WW II into this has even a remote relevance to the topic.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Just watch.

Burma has not now nor has it ever had anything in common with Japan and Germany; Britain made Burma a province of India in 1886. And I don't see how dragging WW II into this has even a remote relevance to the topic.

I understand that you don't see how.

While your point is taken id mention 2 things

1. Japan and germany did not have a dictatorship for 50 years and after the war hilter and his crew were not still running germany in a way. Myanmar dictator still is in power. what they present in public is very different than what is going on behind closed doors.

2. Japan and germanys damage is a result from a war Myanmar the last time I checked has been simply due to being closed off from the world.

While things at some point will get changed Myanmar cant offer a real security to foreign investors to invest. By that you got companies willing to spend millions of dollars but at any moment if the generals feel they will lose control can just as easy kick out everyone and close borders again. People in power do not just give up power like the one they have so easy

Sent from my GT- using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1. Japan and germany did not have a dictatorship for 50 years and after the war hilter and his crew were not still running germany in a way. Myanmar dictator still is in power. what they present in public is very different than what is going on behind closed doors.

2. Japan and germanys damage is a result from a war Myanmar the last time I checked has been simply due to being closed off from the world.

While things at some point will get changed Myanmar cant offer a real security to foreign investors to invest. By that you got companies willing to spend millions of dollars but at any moment if the generals feel they will lose control can just as easy kick out everyone and close borders again. People in power do not just give up power like the one they have so easy

People suddenly getting big fortunes don't easily give that up either. China is an evil dictatorship. It's communist.

Just watch.

All your points are very valid.

However, I think NeverSure's analogy was that Burma is waking up from a 50 year long sleep, isolated by embargoes due to it's military junta rule. The same as Japan and Germany, its economy was in ruins, not due to war, but neglect due to isolation.

Then one day the lights went on in Naypyidaw and they realized that there was no future for them or the country living in a time warp bubble.

ASSK was partly responsible for the easing of pressures & opening up and credit has to be given to Thein Sein and the military in the background. The west sees opportunity and is in there in a big way.

"People getting big fortunes don't give that up either". How true.

China is the workshop of the world but has territorial claims and battles ahead and is not making itself too popular with several ASEAN nations due to this.

Burma also has the semblance of a parliamentary system, albeit heavily weighted in favor of the military.

Burma isn't going back to sleep and the only way for them now is up.

They can learn much from Thailand's mistakes and also the somewhat arrogant attitude of the Thais towards them.

Investors will flood in due to opportunities and if they are wise will act with caution, the same way they should when dealing with Thailand.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that until recently there were sanctions and embargoes on Burma by the West including the USA. Due to a change in philosophy and behavior, those have been lifted.

Part of that is real change.

Part of it is a desire to dump Thailand. I could go on all day about Thailand's attitude toward other countries and it's lack of ability to cooperate. It's the "Thai way or the Highway." The Thai way is always right, it is the Hub, and everyone will acquiesce to their demands including their corruption.

Not only that, but they aren't an ally. They cozy up to China. I think that recent visit to Chiang Mai by the leader of Iran about did it. It was right after that, that the US and Japan began to make negative statements about Thailand. It was right during that, that the PM of Thailand visited Japan and begged for a partnership in a port. The PM of Japan said nothing and just smiled at her. The next thing we know the PM of Japan is in Burma with a big delegation of Japan's biggest CEO's inking a deal for a port and an industrial zone and coughing up big bucks to Burma for it. That port isn't where Thailand wanted it, it will hurt rather than help Thailand, and Thailand is the jilted girlfriend.

The money that Thailand wanted went to Burma, and so will manufacturing. Geez, with the new minimum wage, labor is 1/6 in Burma what it is in Thailand, and Burma is giving concessions of Tariffs. Thailand has lost.

• Like 2

I would love to stay in Thailand but, it is way to hard to open a business here, the immigration laws just plain suck, having to leave every 3 months lol. Really do not like having to pay protection money, property laws also suck. If they want foreign investment then they need to make some changes.

I would love to stay in Thailand but, it is way to hard to open a business here, the immigration laws just plain suck, having to leave every 3 months lol. Really do not like having to pay protection money, property laws also suck. If they want foreign investment then they need to make some changes.

Are you new to these parts?

Do you qualify for a one year visa?

I'm not sure Myanmar would be any better just yet.

There's always welcoming China.

Let's not forget that until recently there were sanctions and embargoes on Burma by the West including the USA. Due to a change in philosophy and behavior, those have been lifted.

Part of that is real change.

Part of it is a desire to dump Thailand. I could go on all day about Thailand's attitude toward other countries and it's lack of ability to cooperate. It's the "Thai way or the Highway." The Thai way is always right, it is the Hub, and everyone will acquiesce to their demands including their corruption.

Not only that, but they aren't an ally. They cozy up to China. I think that recent visit to Chiang Mai by the leader of Iran about did it. It was right after that, that the US and Japan began to make negative statements about Thailand. It was right during that, that the PM of Thailand visited Japan and begged for a partnership in a port. The PM of Japan said nothing and just smiled at her. The next thing we know the PM of Japan is in Burma with a big delegation of Japan's biggest CEO's inking a deal for a port and an industrial zone and coughing up big bucks to Burma for it. That port isn't where Thailand wanted it, it will hurt rather than help Thailand, and Thailand is the jilted girlfriend.

The money that Thailand wanted went to Burma, and so will manufacturing. Geez, with the new minimum wage, labor is 1/6 in Burma what it is in Thailand, and Burma is giving concessions of Tariffs. Thailand has lost.

You might want to check out Cobra Gold 2013 Thai/USA relations.

Of course you raise the minimum wage; there is no unemployment.

Do a pie chart with trade and include Thailand. Burma and China and Japan and the US. Burma is a small itty bitty slice.

Everything in your post is in the future and has no basis in fact today. If wishes were horses Burmese would ride. It is a poor little country that maybe after a revolution and blood in the streets maybe just maybe the Burmese will be allowed to ride motorbikes. The new Tiger of Asia....... aw come on....

An American can start a busines in Thailand and own it 100%.

The United States and Thailand have enjoyed a special commercialrelationship for 177 years under the Treaty of Amity and Commerce. Under the treaty, with the exception of a few sectors, U.S. companies operating in Thailand are afforded national treatment, or an “equal playing field,” with Thai companies.

No unemployment = billsiht. Lazy people aren't unemployed. The per capita income income in Thailand is 1/10th what it is in Singapore because Singapore is open for business, and Singapore has nothing to compare with Burma for space and resources. Just watch.

Thai employees are lazy and unpredictable. Burmese people have a hard work ethic. Who would want to hire Thais for 6x what it costs to hire Burmese?

The US and Japan have had it with Thailand. You keep looking backward instead of what's happening under your nose. I'm not predicting; I'm observing. It's happening.

Edited by NeverSure

No unemployment = billsiht. Lazy people aren't unemployed. The per capita income income in Thailand is 1/10th what it is in Singapore because Singapore is open for business, and Singapore has nothing to compare with Burma for space and resources. Just watch.

Thai employees are lazy and unpredictable. Burmese people have a hard work ethic. Who would want to hire Thais for 6x what it costs to hire Burmese?

The US and Japan have had it with Thailand. You keep looking backward instead of what's happening under your nose. I'm not predicting; I'm observing. It's happening.

How would you know that Thais are lazy? I live in Thailand and employ Thais and have beginning in 1968 both in the military and outside of the military. You live in Oklahoma and have at most spent a couple of weeks in Thailand in your whole life. I live and work here with thousands of Thai people every day. I also know the American military here. Have you ever even met a Burmese person? There are 25 across the street from me as I write this. They are working in Thailand. Burma is poor, no jobs and not free. The Burmese people like Thailand. They have a Thai boss. He is on the job at 6 AM and stays till 6PM; I see him every day. If this was a thread about Singapore I would write about Singapore but not every thread exists only to bash Thais. Burma and Thailand that is what this thread is about.

How would you know that Thais are lazy? I live in Thailand and employ Thais and have beginning in 1968 both in the military and outside of the military. You live in Oklahoma and have at most spent a couple of weeks in Thailand in your whole life. I live and work here with thousands of Thai people every day. I also know the American military here. Have you ever even met a Burmese person? There are 25 across the street from me as I write this. They are working in Thailand. Burma is poor, no jobs and not free. The Burmese people like Thailand. They have a Thai boss. He is on the job at 6 AM and stays till 6PM; I see him every day. If this was a thread about Singapore I would write about Singapore but not every thread exists only to bash Thais. Burma and Thailand that is what this thread is about.

I've never lived in Oklahoma, and I've spent a lot of time in Thailand.

As Thailand slips, the Burmese will stay in Burma to work. Massive investment in jobs is going into Burma. You keep looking at today and yesterday and thinking it will stay the same. It won't, and it won't be a real long time.

Burma also has a big population, and far more resources than Thailand. It's also getting the new investment while Thailand loses some of it.

Thailand can't even manage a 3rd world rice business.

I've never lived in Oklahoma, and I've spent a lot of time in Thailand.

I think for one to say the terrible negative things you say about Thailand (Thailand ain't shirt, Thai employees are lazy and unpredictable, Burmese people have a hard work ethic.) you owe us to tell us how long you have spent in Thailand and how many Thai and Burmese people you have worked with.

You see I watch 100 Thai people get up every morning at 5AM and work on steel till till 5PM 6 days a week. 40 years ago I worked with Thai soldiers and watched them fight and die. I speak Thai. I have a Thai wife and family. I have two Thai Myna birds that attack pit vipers and cobras and a soi dog who will eat anyone who tries to come in my house. Heck even my Thai animals work hard.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

That doesn't mean you can see what's happening to Thailand tomorrow. You live in the past. You see what's in front of your nose, but not far enough to read a newspaper. Burma is the next growth explosion, and Japanese and US companies, and their governments have had it with Thailand. They are angry with Thailand. And Thailand can't change.

That doesn't mean you can see what's happening to Thailand tomorrow. You live in the past. You see what's in front of your nose, but not far enough to read a newspaper. Burma is the next growth explosion, and Japanese and US companies, and their governments have had it with Thailand. They are angry with Thailand. And Thailand can't change.

The USA, China and/or Japan could all sink Thailand in a minute if they wanted to. I read the news in Asia. I see the news on TV in Asia. Do you? The news is censored in the USA; is this news to you? Who are Thailand's biggest trading partners today and tomorrow morning? I know what is happening in Burma. I know the Italian company that is making a lot of it happen. Thailand declared war on the US and the US still had good relations with Thailand. Is it time to buy the kyat? Does Burma have ATMs? You can only read so much. Boots on the ground. You are gonna be walking because ain't no motorcycles allowed.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

So basically after reading all your posts, a know-it-all in every sense and also like to brag, is all which is very apparent.

As for anti-thai sentiment from us, no. We presented reasons as to why business there is attractive and now and into the future will have many benefits. We could as easily say after your thread of posts, you're 'just displaying pro-thai sentiment'

Edited by gemini81

So basically after reading all your posts, a know-it-all in every sense and also like to brag, is all which is very apparent.

As for anti-thai sentiment from us, no. We presented reasons as to why business there is attractive and now and into the future will have many benefits. We could as easily say after your thread of posts, you're 'just displaying pro-thai sentiment'

No problem. Do you live and work in Thailand with Thai and Burmese workers? Do you have any facts about Burma that have not been covered?

You got one American who has never been to Thailand saying that all Thais are lazy and unpredictable. Should I believe him?

I work with 100 Thai people daily 6 days a week. Burmese are building 7 homes across the street from me. I have worked for the Thai Army recently and 40 years ago. So I know something about Thailand. I live here. If I am wrong tell me. No problem.

But when a person comes along who has never worked with Thai people and says all Thais are lazy and unpredictable that is wrong. How would you like it if someone said that about your country who had never worked there?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

No problem. Do you live and work in Thailand with Thai and Burmese workers? Do you have any facts about Burma that have not been covered?

You got one American who has never been to Thailand saying that all Thais are lazy and unpredictable. Should I believe him?

I work with 100 Thai people daily 6 days a week. Burmese are building 7 homes across the street from me. I have worked for the Thai Army recently and 40 years ago. So I know something about Thailand. I live here. If I am wrong tell me. No problem.

But when a person comes along who has never worked with Thai people and says all Thais are lazy and unpredictable that is wrong. How would you like it if someone said that about your country who had never worked there?

I didn't mention that up to now but people keep talking about it...so for my scope.... I know both as far as the scope of building/construction/real estate.. my company does business there now; its just open for real estate and industry. I will say Thais certainly lack a work ethic upcountry, and work harder in Bangkok in general, by observation due to pressure, education, competition...lifestyle..... With Burmese, we get mixed results. The bosses and those with more education/higher position & salary tend to work harder and more efficient with us, than laborers contractors at sites who are forever delaying things for this or that reason... Edited by gemini81

Do3es anyone know a vehicle that exists today for investing in Myramar?

I would look into Italian Thai Development PCL. Of course their company is completely Thai managed and uses all Thai engineers since 1981 I think. But I'm sure there are many Burma experts posting here who know more about it than I.

You could try the Dawei Investment Company http://www.daweidevelopment.com/index.php/en/why-invest-in-dawei or drop a line to Yingluck, she'll probably snap your hand off!

Well, you have to realise that there will be 30% administration fee attached to any cash put into this vehicle.

Are you asking out of interest or are you yourself looking to invest?

If you are a serious investor looking at Myanmar - PM me.

I can put you in touch with someone in Yangon to discuss further.

Kelly, you can say what you wish about Thailand or Burma, but be careful what you say about me. Earlier you said I live in Oklahoma which is off by a couple of thousand miles. Now you say I've never been to Thailand which is a laugh. You lose all of your credibility right there with me. It's possible to know something about Thailand or Burma, but you know nothing about me, so let's not make this personal.

When I'm in Thailand, Thais are lazy. I was traveling Isaan all of April, and Thais are lazy. When I go into a restaurant or hotel Thais are lazy compared to the West. They won't even pick up the trash around their business much less give any service. That's true in Bangkok and any other place I go. That's what largely contributes to making Thailand a 3rd world dump. You say there's no unemployment. What are all of the beer drinking guys who just hang around doing nothing in Isaan? Employed to drink beer in front of a shack?

Thailand's biggest danger is thinking as you think about Thailand. They think they have arrived. They think they are the hub. They think everyone should fall in line with their thinking. Even countries with major economies and major global corporations are sick of their attitude, business practices, and corruption. Corporations get ripped off at customs by officers who are paid a commission to rip them off as they import things they need to do their manufacturing.

The new minimum wage was arrogant seeing that wages in Vietnam are 1/2 what there are in Thailand and they are 1/6 in Burma. You put it down to zero unemployment which I don't believe. You fail to mention or understand being competitive with labor in other SE Asian countries. Even if Thailand had zero unemployment, pricing labor out of reach compared to other SE Asian countries is anti-business. If Thailand has zero unemployment, who would put or keep a large business there? Companies go to SE Asia for cheap labor. If Thailand is out of that one drawing card, then it is out of business.

You don't read the news about what happened to Thailand's PM as she went to Belgium and other European countries trying to drum up money for a high speed rail. She got rebuffed. Thailand's credit rating sucks and it is borrowing like there is tomorrow. The news, posted in this forum on other threads says that at least three government banks are broke. The news says that losses on the rice scheme will be stunning and frightening. But Thailand is the hub and they think they can get away with it. They have borrowed the money for the new car scheme and made it appear that cars sales are great. But that's selling cars with borrowed money and putting the average Thai deeply in debt. That's not growth. That's not sustainable.

But the biggest thing is that due to Thailand's actions driven by it view of itself, it has pizzed of the West and in particular the US, Japan, and the auto manufacturers. They want to go somewhere else. Part of the pizz off is attitude and business practices, and part is flirting with China and Iran who are deep enemies of the West. Right after Iran's leader was in Chiang Mai recently, the SHTF. The US and Japan began to make negative public statements about Thailand. Thailand's PM went to Japan to beg for a partnership for a new port. No one wants a corrupt country which can't manage 3rd world rice sales as a partner. Thailand got snubbed and within a week or two Japan's PM and a big delegation of the CEO's of Japan's largest corporations were in Burma signing a multi-billion dollar deal for a new seaport and industrial park which are out of Thailand's reach. Thailand was stunned.

Add to all of this the clear fact that Burma has vast natural resources including forests, minerals, space, coastline to the Indian Ocean, vast oil reserves, lots of land for manufacturing, and a huge labor pool that needs work, and Thailand doesn't match up. People want a piece of Burma, not Thailand.

This has all been in the news. I'm not making it up. Burma will be the next boom town, fueled by resources, a population not that much smaller than Thailand, wealth in the form of oil, and huge money and technology pointed right at it, and it will boom as Thailand withers in its own pride and mistakes.

Even without all of the above Thailand would go broke from its borrowing and spending on lots of things like the new car scheme (that money is borrowed) and the rice scheme and a slowdown in imports and income. Then there's the messed up banking system which will fail due to the above, and to too many loans for real estate in an overbuilt bubble which is unsustainable. A Thailand's economy contracts, there will be less demand for real estate, not more yet building goes on unabated without real buyers.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

Kelly, you can say what you wish about Thailand or Burma, but be careful what you say about me. Earlier you said I live in Oklahoma which is off by a couple of thousand miles. Now you say I've never been to Thailand which is a laugh. You lose all of your credibility right there with me. It's possible to know something about Thailand or Burma, but you know nothing about me, so let's not make this personal.

When I'm in Thailand, Thais are lazy. I was traveling Isaan all of April, and Thais are lazy. When I go into a restaurant or hotel Thais are lazy compared to the West. They won't even pick up the trash around their business much less give any service. That's true in Bangkok and any other place I go. That's what largely contributes to making Thailand a 3rd world dump. You say there's no unemployment. What are all of the beer drinking guys who just hang around doing nothing in Isaan? Employed to drink beer in front of a shack?

Thailand's biggest danger is thinking as you think about Thailand. They think they have arrived. They think they are the hub. They think everyone should fall in line with their thinking. Even countries with major economies and major global corporations are sick of their attitude, business practices, and corruption. Corporations get ripped off at customs by officers who are paid a commission to rip them off as they import things they need to do their manufacturing.

The new minimum wage was arrogant seeing that wages in Vietnam are 1/2 what there are in Thailand and they are 1/6 in Burma. You put it down to zero unemployment which I don't believe. You fail to mention or understand being competitive with labor in other SE Asian countries. Even if Thailand had zero unemployment, pricing labor out of reach compared to other SE Asian countries is anti-business. If Thailand has zero unemployment, who would put or keep a large business there? Companies go to SE Asia for cheap labor. If Thailand is out of that one drawing card, then it is out of business.

You don't read the news about what happened to Thailand's PM as she went to Belgium and other European countries trying to drum up money for a high speed rail. She got rebuffed. Thailand's credit rating sucks and it is borrowing like there is tomorrow. The news, posted in this forum on other threads says that at least three government banks are broke. The news says that losses on the rice scheme will be stunning and frightening. But Thailand is the hub and they think they can get away with it. They have borrowed the money for the new car scheme and made it appear that cars sales are great. But that's selling cars with borrowed money and putting the average Thai deeply in debt. That's not growth. That's not sustainable.

But the biggest thing is that due to Thailand's actions driven by it view of itself, it has pizzed of the West and in particular the US, Japan, and the auto manufacturers. They want to go somewhere else. Part of the pizz off is attitude and business practices, and part is flirting with China and Iran who are deep enemies of the West. Right after Iran's leader was in Chiang Mai recently, the SHTF. The US and Japan began to make negative public statements about Thailand. Thailand's PM went to Japan to beg for a partnership for a new port. No one wants a corrupt country which can't manage 3rd world rice sales as a partner. Thailand got snubbed and within a week or two Japan's PM and a big delegation of the CEO's of Japan's largest corporations were in Burma signing a multi-billion dollar deal for a new seaport and industrial park which are out of Thailand's reach. Thailand was stunned.

Add to all of this the clear fact that Burma has vast natural resources including forests, minerals, space, coastline to the Indian Ocean, vast oil reserves, lots of land for manufacturing, and a huge labor pool that needs work, and Thailand doesn't match up. People want a piece of Burma, not Thailand.

This has all been in the news. I'm not making it up. Burma will be the next boom town, fueled by resources, a population not that much smaller than Thailand, wealth in the form of oil, and huge money and technology pointed right at it, and it will boom as Thailand withers in its own pride and mistakes.

Even without all of the above Thailand would go broke from its borrowing and spending on lots of things like the new car scheme (that money is borrowed) and the rice scheme and a slowdown in imports and income. Then there's the messed up banking system which will fail due to the above, and to too many loans for real estate in an overbuilt bubble which is unsustainable. A Thailand's economy contracts, there will be less demand for real estate, not more yet building goes on unabated without real buyers.

True what ever possess the government to think they can take the worlds largest exporter of rice for years and in one year run it down to third largest with so much in storage it is going bad and they can only get rid of some of it with secret prices to other governments. Companies that want to make a profit of off the sale of rice can't afford Thailand's price.

Makes one wonder what other countries think seeing an elected by the minority PM running all over the world while the real PM is in self exile because of a conviction on a criminal activity that he didn't even challenge he just excepted it and ran out of the country.

Now they have a third Shinawatra in the government.

Wonder what kind of a fiasco she is going to be?

Well, I have breakfast, read this and post, then go to Thailand news to find a correction that April exports are actually down instead of the earlier stated significant rise. This affects Thailand's income and deficits because they collect taxes on this. Thailand is already running big deficits and debt.

Wait until they have no exports from companies run by foreign countries due to manufacturing in Burma. This is the plan.