Abrupt Nighttime Demolition Of Rod Fai Market Leaves Vendors Incensed

webfact

Abrupt nighttime demolition of Rod Fai Market leaves vendors incensed
By Coconuts Bangkok

rotfai.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Rod Fai Market vendors gathered early this morning after hearing the first rumblings of a construction company hired by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) to demolish the Rod Fai Market site without prior notice.

Vendors were alerted via Facebook shortly after midnight that the construction company was employing 20 workers and five backhoes to level the property on Kamphaeng Phet 2 Road.

It is reported that the abrupt demolition infuriated vendors and caused a physical fight between vendors and construction workers, which involved rock throwing. The SRT’s officials had to step in to stop the violence.

This surprise demolition was a sequel to last Thursday’s efforts by the SRT to clear the site for construction of the Bang Sue-to-Rang Sit, “Red Line” Skytrain extension.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/05/28/update-abrupt-nighttime-demolition-rod-fai-market-leaves-vendors-incensed

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-05-28

Considering the time the demolition took place, after midnight, it is rather clear the SRT knew there would be an issue.

In Thailand there is always an issue, the big question is if it's a rightful issue or not.

The market was a 5 minutes walk from Chatuchak market and was always very busy. Open till late at night, the atmosphere was always relaxed and you could find a lot of interesting items there.

I know I will miss it dearly. Hopefully they'll find another venue.

Considering the time the demolition took place, after midnight, it is rather clear the SRT knew there would be an issue.

In Thailand there is always an issue, the big question is if it's a rightful issue or not.

Well Said....

The way it was carried out though sort of suggests that it was sneaky.... (nothing knew as sneaky/slimey is now a part of Thai culture)

Isn't this exactly what happened in the old Siam Square when they initially built the SkyTrain and all those bustling shopping centers? Urban decay is alive and well in BKK and Urban renewal is the only solution. It is unfortunate when the time for Urban renewal is at hand it is never the gangs of little guys happily footing the bill. They are the first to complain, and rightfully so, but someone is always unhappy about everything. Turning to infrastructure projects supported by big business is the only solution. Unfortunately in Thailand mob rule is alive and well at the neighborhood level, and alot of times the big businesses have to be sneaky because nobody in the government will force the vendors to leave. Thais want the benefits of being an influential regional player, then they have to accept BKK must be dragged into the 21st century, even if it is kicking and screaming. Not just a few isolated segments of the city that cater to westerners, the whole thing. They should strive to be as grand asTokyo, not settle for being slightly cleaner than Jakarta.

I had a friend write a joke once:

Here is a list of things that nobody will find a reason to be pissed off about:

1)

Hey! Why do the numbers who don't do anything gotta be black?

This was a great market - hope they find a new home.

As for those that think that destroying small business and modernising is the only way to go you need learn about cotemporary thought on town planning. Change and modernisation don't always give the most enjoyable experience. Singapore is, in my opinion, a wonderful place - for half a day, and then it is just a bore.

plenty of places in bangkok that should be turned into rubble, washington square looks alot better now(rubble) than it used to, just imagine what will replace it. have a look at whats happening along petchburi road, its modernizing. squatter businesses on the SRT property should be either moved or charged for rent because the SRT is deep in debt. bangkok looks the way it does because businesses are not being taxed or controlled by zoning regulations which causes it to look like a buffet of everything ie a dogs breakfast. some conformity would do the city good. maybe the country doesn't need a dictator but bangkok definitely needs one otherwise things will get more out of control.

• Like 2

As for those that think that destroying small business and modernising is the only way to go you need learn about cotemporary thought on town planning. Change and modernisation don't always give the most enjoyable experience. Singapore is, in my opinion, a wonderful place - for half a day, and then it is just a bore.

Precisely! Bangkok can beamed clean and efficient and charming -- and it will become boring like Singapore. The city needs to make a choice.

Precisely! Bangkok can beamed clean and efficient and charming -- and it will become boring like Singapore. The city needs to make a choice.

And rich like SIngapore too.

Yet the eyesores from the late 90's crash still stand,

and pardon my language but <deleted> turning every city in the world into the same place,

if you want that type of spotless clean,non dangerous,no chance of stepping in a pothole city there are(too)many already.

I remember that market as a good place to stroll through when near Chatuchak.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne
  • Like 2

Well Said....

The way it was carried out though sort of suggests that it was sneaky.... (nothing knew as sneaky/slimey is now a part of Thai culture)

Probably not sneaky... stall owners were probably evicted legally, yet refused to leave.

Logical consequence is demolition when nobody is looking.

UPDATE:
SRT offers deal to vendors at Rot Fai market

Nongnapat Maipanit,
Supachai Petchthewee
The Nation

30207119-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to end a dispute over the destruction of the Rot Fai Market in Bangkok's Chatuchak district, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) said yesterday that it would allow vendors to sell their wares in a nearby area for five months.

The decision came after a meeting with the vendors' representatives to solve the conflict that arose overnight when around 20 construction workers moved in with heavy equipment to demolish the market.

About 300 vendors clashed with the workers and prevented them from continuing.

SRT governor Prapat Chongsanguan said he would allow the vendors to rent a nearby storehouse area for five months.

After the end of the contract, the vendors must move elsewhere.

Jarat Roikaeo, a vendors' representative who attended the meeting, said he would discuss the proposal with about 1,000 other vendors.

"I agreed with SRT's decision and will move to the new area," Jarat said.

He added that many vendors from Rot Fai were planning to move to a market on private land on Srinakarin Road.

The new area is now under construction and is due to be finished within the next five months.

SRT has been trying to evict the vendors from Rot Fai Market to make way for Bangkok Metro's Red Line.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-29

I was at this market only last week. Since my previous visit a month or two ago - the market had almost doubled in size, testament to its popularity

It needs people to have seen it - to appreciate its uniqueness.

It is often referred to as the 'retro' market.

There are some fantastic old railway buildings that have been turned into restaurants and bars - and some have great painted pictures on the outside walls - decades of years old.

About half the vendors would sell retro and antique stuff which was fantastic just to amble around and reminisce about ones past.

Added to that were the other half of the vendors selling new and secondhand stuff and lots of hand-made items too.

The sheer popularity of the market on a weekend is testament to its success - one of the best markets in Bangkok. (or was!)

As the market is predominantly a weekend NIGHT market - could the market not have operated (albeit on a smaller scale) and worked around the construction of the concrete pillars ?

Sad to see it go.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The only way in Thailand to get people off your land is to do so by surprise and /or force as the SRT of course knows. Even a vendor without a lease or with an expired lease will, if forewarned, either physically block the land or request that the owner finds new land for them or let them stay until they find new land etc. Whatever their demands are, it will always be something that leaves the vendors with no responsibility whatsoever.

Further, mediating officials and courts are useless in these cases. None of them want to upset either side, so they will avoid making any firm decisions either way, and will instead suggest the matter is discussed forever or that a committee is set up to delay the issue indefinately.

Therefore, the best solution in most cases is to not let vendors or other temporary/poor tenants lease your land to begin with, even if you are not currently using it.

Edited by monkeycountry

This is a really low act. Just another example of the big guys dumping on the little guys.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes, it is really unreasonable to ask tenants whose lease has expired, or whose ongoing lease has been legally cancelled, to actually leave.

• Like 1

Being more like Singapore would be a good thing.

The SRT had little choice than to act the way they did. Vendows simply will not move on when their leases expire. When the authorities try and evict them they often resort to violence, whether it be against the SRT or the BMA. There is a great little 'Mexican Standoff' ocurring in Sukhumvit Rd. between soi 13 and Soi 11 at the moment. On the sidewalk in front of the new development which is The Hyde condominium and a new 5-Star hotel the vendors refuse to move. I understand that each of the vendows was paid B75K each to move about a year ago. They took the money and refused to move. I have seen staff from the BMA on several occassions trying to prevent the vendors from setting up. Other street vendors from up and down the street joined forces and drove the BMA away under threat of assault. Now they (BMA) are parking their vehicles on the sidewalk and trying to get the vendors to set up after 7pm. It only works when the BMA park their cars on the sidewalk. Quite ironic really. The developers are very frustrated as they are trying to sell their high-end condominiums but the whole area just looks like a slum. So who is in the wrong and who is in the right? I know where my sympathies are.