Khao Lak

jbrain

I have a family member who has a booking opportunity for a holiday on Khao Lak in July.I have never visited Khao Lak so can't give him any advice.

The family member is a married couple in their late thirty's who are of the adventurous and sportive type who have visited Thailand once about a decade ago.

Please advise on weather conditions, ambiance and more during the month of July.

Edited by jbrain

Khao Lak is a diving town and July is the peak of the low season with big waves and lots of rain. The town is mostly empty at that time. If your friend is a surfer it is a good time to visit. If the booking opportunity is cheap....it is because July is right smack bang in the middle of Khao Lak's low season...

Khao Lak is a diving town and July is the peak of the low season with big waves and lots of rain. The town is mostly empty at that time. If your friend is a surfer it is a good time to visit. If the booking opportunity is cheap....it is because July is right smack bang in the middle of Khao Lak's low season...

I think he is aware of the reason for the low price, but I guess his biggest concern are the rain/sunshine hours and for example if there is an nuisance of insects during that month.

I have been traveling to Khao Lak many times and consider myself something of an expert.

It is very difficult to predict the weather...even more in Khao Lak.

Last 3 years I have been there in the middle of July:

2012: 7 days...all crystal blue sky and sunshine, medium waves

2011: 5 days...3 sunshine, 1 cloudy but okay and one raining cats and dogs for 24 hours

2010: 10 days...6 sunshine, 2 cloudy and windy, 2 raining buckets

Let me put it like this: if they are aware, that rain is a likely possibility and if they are prepared for that, the low prices and the quiet atmosphere make it a good choice. If they want a weather guarantee: don't go there!

• Like 1

I have been traveling to Khao Lak many times and consider myself something of an expert.

It is very difficult to predict the weather...even more in Khao Lak.

Last 3 years I have been there in the middle of July:

2012: 7 days...all crystal blue sky and sunshine, medium waves

2011: 5 days...3 sunshine, 1 cloudy but okay and one raining cats and dogs for 24 hours

2010: 10 days...6 sunshine, 2 cloudy and windy, 2 raining buckets

Let me put it like this: if they are aware, that rain is a likely possibility and if they are prepared for that, the low prices and the quiet atmosphere make it a good choice. If they want a weather guarantee: don't go there!

Great post! And it seems weather everywhere is getting more and more unpredictable.

I went to Phuket in August a few years ago for a month. Many members said "no worries, it never rains every day!". And they were right. But when we decided to splash out and get a nice room on the beach....it rained cats and dogs for 7 days straight. So windy could barely sit on the beach, much less by the pool...and swimming was impossible.

Of course it cleared up as soon as we moved to a cheaper hotel inland.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639859-resorts-north-of-phuket-lose-beachfront-to-raging-sea

its a one street town and in the low season (May-Oct) not much to do. ( even in the high season not much to do unless ur a diver heading to the Similans or enjoy the beach

Although u will not have to wait to be served in the many restaurants :-)

Better head 90 kms south to Phuket

• Like 1

Think I am qualified to post here....have been living in Khao Lak since 2000. The weather in July is hit and miss, there might not be a single drop of rain, or it might start raining over and over again every day, or anything in between these two extremes.

The big draw in Khao Lak besides the beaches and diving, is enjoying the natural scenery surrounding it. There are lots of waterfalls in the rain forest right behind the coastal strip, off the beaten track bays, and a not so well known island very close to the mainland. Rent a motorcycle or a car. I could recommend Chong Fah waterfall, Pakkarang Cape, White Sand (AO Thong) Beach, Sairung waterfall, Poseidon Beach, Lampi waterfall, and the island of Koh Kaw Khao.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars, especially at Nang Thong Beach and at Bang Niang Beach, where the beach is better and more suitable for long walks.

Tourism in Khao Lak is mainly a matter of married couples and families, people at least over 30 dominate the scene, though there are also young people around, some of whom really dig it.

Edited by keestha

Think I am qualified to post here....have been living in Khao Lak since 2000. The weather in July is hit and miss, there might not be a single drop of rain, or it might start raining over and over again every day, or anything in between these two extremes.

The big draw in Khao Lak besides the beaches and diving, is enjoying the natural scenery surrounding it. There are lots of waterfalls in the rain forest right behind the coastal strip, off the beaten track bays, and a not so well known island very close to the mainland. Rent a motorcycle or a car. I could recommend Chong Fah waterfall, Pakkarang Cape, White Sand (AO Thong) Beach, Sairung waterfall, Poseidon Beach, Lampi waterfall, and the island of Koh Kaw Khao.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars, especially at Nang Thong Beach and at Bang Niang Beach, where the beach is better and more suitable for long walks.

Tourism in Khao Lak is mainly a matter of married couples and families, people at least over 30 dominate the scene, though there are also young people around, some of whom really dig it.

Thanks for the useful information. I think they gonne go ahead with the trip, but please let the info flow it will be much appreciated.