More Than 100 Tourists Rescued From Sinking Phuket Ferry

webfact

Phuket Video Report: More than 100 tourists rescued from sinking ferry
Phuket Gazette

ferry.jpg
The boat carrying about 100 tourists was damaged by heavy waves and started taking on water. All on board were safely rescued. Photo: Bob from Bob's Sailing Booze Cruise

PHUKET: -- More than 100 people were rescued from a tourist boat that started sinking while returning from Phi Phi Island to Phuket Tuesday afternoon after being damaged by big waves.

No injuries were reported.

The ferry, Puean Foong II, was near Chicken Island (Koh Kai), about 15 nautical miles from Phuket, when it took on water, said Phuket Marine Police Inspector Chatchai Sakdee.

“When we received the report at 4:10 this afternoon, we sent a Marine Police vessel to rescue everyone,” Col Chatchai said.

However, by the time the Marine Police boat arrived, the passengers and crew had been picked up by another tour boat, the Pichamon, which was traveling from Phuket to Phi Phi. The crew saw the ferry in trouble and stopped to help.

“Pieces of the floor came flying off,” one of the rescued passengers, wet and still wearing his lifejacket on board the Pichamon, reported.

“Water was gushing in, and we realized, ‘get some life jackets’,” he said.

The Pichamon continued on to Phi Phi with the rescued passengers and was expected to arrive at 7:30pm Tuesday evening.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Video-Report-More-than-100-tourists-rescued-from-sinking-ferry-21177.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-29

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100 rescued from sinking Phuket ferry
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1369756800_1.jpg
The ferry as the Marine Police found it, with its bows on the rocks of Koh Gai. Photo Marine Police

PHUKET: -- Marine Police Tuesday (May 28) rescued 100 tourists – 11 Thais and 89 foreigners – from a ferry carrying them from Phi Phi to Rassada Pier in Phuket.

The ferry, the Peuan Foong 2, set off shortly before 4pm in heavy seas. Not long after, it began to take on water through a crack in the hull.

As the crack got larger, the ferry captain, 54-year-old Sommai Sanguansap, realised there was a very real chance of the ferry sinking so he headed for the nearest piece of land, tiny Koh Gai, where he managed to put the bow of the ferry on the rocks.

In the meantime he had put out a distress call which was answered by the Marine Police, who set out in the fast rescue boat Khun Phoom 814. They were helped by another boat, the Pichamon, which diverted to give assistance.

They arrived at Koh Gai and transferred all the passengers from the ferry without mishap by about 7pm.

No injuries were reported and the passengers were delivered safely to Rassada Pier at 8:30. Tonight the ferry was still on the rocks at Koh Gai with some crew aboard hoping that it can be kept afloat long enough for it to be salvaged.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/100-rescued-from-sinking-phuket-ferry-39724.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-29

This is why I will never take a boat of any sort in south east Asia. I know very few people who have taken a boat trip in Thailand that doesn't have some sort of mini-disaster story to tell.

• Like 1

This is why I will never take a boat of any sort in south east Asia. I know very few people who have taken a boat trip in Thailand that doesn't have some sort of mini-disaster story to tell.

I am with you. I would never get on a boat in Thailand.

I've taken plenty of boat trips and never had a problem! The most dangerous boats for me are the longtail boats bunched together around Maya Bay when they have their propellers in the air with the engines still running! Very glad to see nobody hurt or seriously injured! And fair play to the captain making the boat safe long enough for everyone to be rescued.

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is there a law in Thailand who saying that various boats / ferries have to be inspected every once and awhile, as in Western countries? It happens too often that there is bad news concerning these so called boats/ferries. Also these owners don´t care about anything but money. Weather is at no concern etc. But the tourist are sometimes too stupid as well. They should be more careful and look how the boat look like and how the weather is etc.

Edited by jes

More wreck diving? How deep is the water off kai island?

As you matbe see, he beached the boat, sorry no wreck diving for you. They are most likely on the way back to Ratanachai to fix it and get ready again.

driving a sinking boat full of passengers onto rocks is the last thing i would have thought of doing

but i guess whatever he did worked

Standard procedure if there is no sandbank.

• Like 1

As dive Instructor I do spend many days on boats. Yes I agree, prop breaks from longtail, engine failure but not every day. Things break down in live.

Never been in trouble on the boat in Thailand.

But I do understand you, keep on bashing the Thais. Nothing else to do, but remember the news this week:

NEVER EVER take a ferry in England, it will end up on the rocks

NEVER EVER take a cruise in the Bahamas, the ship will get on fire.

Just two small incidents this week in other civilized, good organized, controlled, checked, safe, no corruption etc parts of the world.

Happy to read that in all three accidents the captains stay calm and organized a safe rescue for all the passengers and crew.

I've been there a few times by boat, twice by speed boat which are safe-ish if you're inside, and twice on the ferry, never go a ferry again though if it's rough, definite shortage of life jackets.

"More than 100 tourists rescued from sinking ferry"

So there were no Thai onboard? Or their lives are not worth reporting?

You mean locals I presume, also Thais can be tourists.

• Like 2

First line of the report.

PHUKET: -- Marine Police Tuesday (May 28) rescued 100 tourists – 11 Thais and 89 foreigners – from a ferry carrying them from Phi Phi to Rassada Pier in Phuket.

I often wondered why a few ferries leave at the same time rather than staggering their departures during the day. They operate the buddy system so one boat can rescue the others passengers when it gets into trouble.

First line of the report.

>PHUKET: -- Marine Police Tuesday (May 28) rescued 100 tourists – 11 Thais and 89 foreigners – from a ferry carrying them from Phi Phi to Rassada Pier in Phuket.

I often wondered why a few ferries leave at the same time rather than staggering their departures during the day. They operate the buddy system so one boat can rescue the others passengers when it gets into trouble.

"They operate the buddy system so one boat can rescue the other passengers when it gets into trouble." - that's if the other boats are not overloaded as well. :) :)

This got also something to do with low and high tide. Not all times it is easy get get in/out of Rassada Harbour.

This got also something to do with low and high tide. Not all times it is easy get get in/out of Rassada Harbour.

The ferries sail at the same times everyday. The height of the tide varies during the month so the boats will at some time sail in and out at both high and low tides.

The ferries sail at the same times everyday. The height of the tide varies during the month so the boats will at some time sail in and out at both high and low tides.

Judging from the story this was not a regular ferry but more a daytrip ferry. They would leave before the regular ferries.