Dell Repairs In Bangkok?

dekestone

I've got a Dell Inspiron notebook, about 4 years old (well past warranty), purchased in US. I described the problem to a Dell rep on the phone and he said the keyboard probably needs to be replaced.

However, no Dell service centers in Thailand. Nearest one in Penang. Obviously, it would be much more convenient if I could find a reliable shop in Bangkok that does this. As I said, it's beyond warranty so I'll have to pay for it myself even if I do cart it down to Malaysia.

Anyone have their Dell serviced in Bangkok?

there are two places that might be able to fix it in PANTIP PLAZA.

one is a maybe, thats on the second floor, going up the escalator you will see DATA IT. turn left on that floor and go in the store next to the guitar shop. you will find laptop parts and repairmen maybe inside there, its limited though.

the second place, can fix anything electronic they claim but harder to describe the location. also in PANTIP, its up on the 4th floor and all the way in the back. they will fix anything they claim for a thousand baht, and i had a video cam done there last year.

i will be going there in the next few days for my keyboard as this sony laptop is losing keys, shift and most of the numbers with lines on the screen etc...i can give you the exact name of the store then.

Go to Pata Department Store located in Central Pinclao area.

I think 5th floor, you get IT shops and it has a place they import Old Dell PC's, Notebooks.

Big Ship. When you walk around, you will see it.

Also try at pantip. Normally right down the corner, closer to Car Park area, you get these old Computer part shops.

You may be able to find a used part for your old notebook keyboard.

Replacing a new keyboard to a 4 yr old notebook? well.. that does not sound feasible.

I am an Inspiron 4100 user, three years old. When I had a hard disc problem three years ago, Dell offered to replace it for $600. I bought this one which gave me Windows XP, a disc writer, etc., a much needed update.

I haven't found that I have any confidence in the local notebook repairers. My Thai companion uses my notebook for letter writing by attaching a Thai keyboard to one of my ports and the computer recognizes it at the same time as it allows the built in keyboard to operate.

Perhaps buying a stand alone keyboard for 300 baht or less and plugging it in might be somehting that would work for you in the short term. Good Luck :o

Contact the Dell free call number, which I forget, and ask them to mail the new keyboard to you.

They probably wouldn't agree to do that. A couple years ago I brought a Dell desktop system from the U.S. Quite foolishly I forgot to flip the voltage switch in back, and fried the power supply when I plugged it in. I pulled out the power supply, and tried to look for a replacement locally, but Dell uses a non-standard power supply. There were some extra wires needed by the motherboard that standard power supplies don't have. Well I looked on the power supply case and lo and behold there was a sticker that said, "Made in Thailand." So I emailed Dell tech support to ask how to get a replacement power supply. He said the power supplies made in Thailand were for export only and could not be purchased in Thailand. He suggested I cart my whole desktop system to Malaysia just to replace the power supply! So I asked him for the address of the plant that manufactures the power supplies, figuring I could go bribe a guard for a replacement, but the Dell tech support dude steadfastly refused. He also said they would be unable to ship a power supply to me in Thailand. In the end, I had them send the power supply to my dad in the U.S., and he shipped it to me from there.

Long live Michael Dell!

Chuck

Hi,

I replaced the HD and a battery of my Dell Inspirion 8100 at a store in Pantip Plaza on the 2nd or 3rd floor, more or less 1 or 2 floors above Data it (the yellow store). It has used laptops in the window. The guy seems to have all the Dell spare parts.

Had no success with Dell Hotline (Insp. 8100 is not supported in Thailand, they asked me to ship the notrebook to HKG or SIN).

Hope that helps, Holm

Thanks, Guys

You have all been very helpful. My dealings with Dell over the phone and email have been terrible, echoing some of the comments made here. I live upcountry and the toll free number just never seemed to work. I don't know how many times I emailed Dell asking for a local # in Penang I could call and pay for myself just to get some advice.

Anyway, I think my best bet is to just take it up to Bangers and look into those places in Panthip you guys suggested.

(Actually, it's a pretty ###### good machine and I'm quite happy with it except this keyboard problem.)

Thanks again.

Have you had any luck with your notebook yet? I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 with a dying keyboard. The top row (qwert etc.) does not work, but the rest is fine. It is my backup computer, but I'd like to get it fixed. Using a cheap external keyboard is fine, but sometimes a pain. I live in Chiang Mai...anyone know any shops that would not completely break the computer if I tried to get them to fix it?

Guest The Judge

There is a place does some reasonable work on the bottom floor of CM centre on the Superhighway. Ask in the Empower Shop. They charge OK as far as I am concerned.

Dell laptops and keyboard problems... I didnt realise they were so common

I have a inspiron 3800 and the key board has been playing up for a couple of years.

I have had my keyboard out many times trying to fix the problem myself, and if my experience is anything to go by I do not have much confidence in getting it repaired, probably better to source a brand new one. At first I was successful in getting it to work correctly but after a while it would not work correctly no matter what I tried. The problem would change each time I cleaned it and put it back together. The manual( was available at the dell website,and is quite good in detailing disassembly and re-assembly) recommends putting the screws(7 of, marked with a k on the plastic next to them) back in a certain order, and I found this sometime worked, though different orders would move the problem keys around.

At first I suspected it was a dust/dirt problem underneath the membrane, and would blow out under the plastic with compressed air, but as this was not helping I ended up taking it fully to bits, removing the metal back plate, the keys and the key hinges in an attempt to see where the problem was on the membrane. ( the key and hinges are a bit tricky to pop back together so have a good look before you take them apart).

even after a severe physical inspection and checking the continuity of the keys with a multi-meter I still could not find any problem, I also thought that maybe the ribbon cable had a crack in one of the tracks, but they all checked out fine also.

summing up, fcuked if I know!

I just went out and bought a cheapo ps2 keyboard , and now have gone and bought a short ps2 keyboard which I carry around with me.

as for in panthip, the shop on the 4th floor , next to the well in the middle opposite the main entrance, they quoted me 2500baht to fix my keyboard and 5500baht for a brand new battery. they seemed to be the cheapest and looked like they had the biggest range of used laptop parts.

If yours is an inspiron 3800, PM me and I will email you the manual I have or you can go to the dell website and search for the one for your laptop.

my dell has been one of the easier laptops I have pulled apart , so don t be too scared about undoing a few screws. my keyboard has two ZIF( zero insertion force ) sockets, one for the keyboard and one for the little nipple. make sure you understand how these work before you go to remove the ribbon cables. the internet will have some pictures somewhere, or the manual will explain the proceedure.

as a side note, a couple of years ago I was having a problem booting my laptop. I would press the power button and the startup lights would flash then it would just shutdown ( no post, nothing). the first time I took the laptop to bits thinking the processor had come loose, but that did not fix the problem.

I found that after about 13 goes at trying to start up ( pressing the power button 13 times ) it booted normally. This has happened to me twice. got no idea why.

well time for an up nam

:o