Why Some People Take Such A Long Time At Check In Counters In Airport?

rookball

I feel your pain because it happens all the time, but your first sentence explained it. You travel frequently and know how to pack correctly. Many new to air travel don't. I always wonder about those that try to bring oversize goods into the cabin area. There are well advertised size measurements and number of goods that can be carried on board..

Aye, plenty of places to trip up from liquids in your carry on to laptops buried at the bottom of your bag. I use wheelchair assistance now which means I don't have to queue for anything at airports. Went on a flight with a friend a couple of years back and he was seriously shocked at how easy airports can be if you know what you are doing.

One thing which does irk me a little (just a little) is the number of people who don't carry a pen.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done that many times and never any problems at all. First: The airline opens it check in counter according to the time needed + between the counter and gate. If someone would be late, gate staff and counter staff would know that you are one the way.

Second: The airplane is build so that for every seat there is storage above for hand luggage. It never happened, but if it would happen, that it would be full, everyone can ask the stewardess for assistance and she would manage that. Luggage under your feet is not allowed by many airlines.

Yes and of course all passengers will be sure not to store their ten tons of carryon crap over YOUR seat? There is only so much space in the overhead bins and when they are full they are full no matter how much you explain that the space over your seat should be for YOU as you watch your carryon go back out for a gate check and you hope it makes it....you don't put luggage under your feet...you put it UNDER the seat in front of you...if it will fit...if not it goes for a gate check. As for getting an upgrade or a premium seat with a last minute check in?....Good Luck.

Done that many times and never any problems at all. First: The airline opens it check in counter according to the time needed + between the counter and gate. If someone would be late, gate staff and counter staff would know that you are one the way.

Second: The airplane is build so that for every seat there is storage above for hand luggage. It never happened, but if it would happen, that it would be full, everyone can ask the stewardess for assistance and she would manage that. Luggage under your feet is not allowed by many airlines.

Yes and of course all passengers will be sure not to store their ten tons of carryon crap over YOUR seat? There is only so much space in the overhead bins and when they are full they are full no matter how much you explain that the space over your seat should be for YOU as you watch your carryon go back out for a gate check and you hope it makes it....you don't put luggage under your feet...you put it UNDER the seat in front of you...if it will fit...if not it goes for a gate check. As for getting an upgrade or a premium seat with a last minute check in?....Good Luck.

Yes have to agree.

I never ever get in the line early for boarding, I wait until last then walk through. But why oh why do they allow people in the lower number seats to board early. All they do is stand in the aisle and fumble around taking things out and putting things back in their carry on luggage and meanwhile, the rest of the passengers have to wait. Surely they should load from the biggest numbers first so people walk to the back of the plane.

As I am usually one of the last people on the plane I am frequently faced with having to have my small hand luggage under the seat in front of me because some people find it necessary to have their life belongings with them on the plane.

As an aside, another pet hate of mine is someone just going to the shop to buy something. They get their packet of biscuits or whatever then go to the cashier. Surely they know what it costs them but no. They wait for the cashier to tell them the price then, and only then (usually women) will they open their handbag, get the purse, search and count all their coins then decide they don't have enough loose change then just hand over a note.

For crying out loud, get the money ready whilst you are in line.

If you find airport queues, supermarket queues ect, frustrating you need to remind yourself that you're not the centre of the universe, relax talk to your neighbour.

The problem is that the people holding everyone up do think that they are the centre of the universe.

• Like 1

As an aside, another pet hate of mine is someone just going to the shop to buy something. They get their packet of biscuits or whatever then go to the cashier. Surely they know what it costs them but no. They wait for the cashier to tell them the price then, and only then (usually women) will they open their handbag, get the purse, search and count all their coins then decide they don't have enough loose change then just hand over a note.

For crying out loud, get the money ready whilst you are in line.

Like when people bitch about waiting for a bus but don't have their change or pass ready when it gets there.

I've had this experience before, I have no idea what those people do there for so long. For me it is under 2 min. Sometimes you think you will miss your flight. It could also be badly trained staff.

Trying to find 4 seats together for a couple and their 2 kids more likely. Online seat reservation must make it harder.

I have a radical idea, lets start charging to take onboard hand luggage. Of course we make some exemptions, if you have a child under the age of 5 years old or can produce a medical certificate proving you need to take certain medication during the flight, then theres no charge. Everyone should be charged THB 5000 per person.

Ladies, please understand that we do not care if your not wearing lipstick, your mascaras smudged or your hair is out of place, we just want to check in.

Men, do you really need your mobile f££king phone, say your goodbyes before you check in and be done with it. This constant hold up because some Ahole is argueing that an Ipad is not a laptop was funny the first time, now its just grindingly irritating.

Lets look at the payoff for this action. Moving through security at the airport would speed up no end. Getting on and off the aircraft would be smooth.

If you really cant do without the hand luggage, then cough up and smile.

• 1 month later...

Because they are just plain stupid. Passport=Check, Itinerary=Check Brain ?????

Its the same when you go through security. They stand there and watch everyone take their laptops, water, gels and everything else out of their bags and when it comes to them, they are still fumbling around looking gormless like they didn't know they had to. They walk through the detector with pockets full of crap and wonder why the buzzer goes off. Thick as shit, and should not be allowed out in public, never mind out of their own Country.

Edited by misterphil

All airlines open their check-in desks the same period of time before the gate closes. The distance to the gate is irrelevant; you ALL have up to 2 hours to get there. Your instance only works if your flight is the only one departing. The reality is once you are checked in, there are thousands of others heading for their gates. Having a gate dolly wandering the concourse with your name on a 'Last Call' card is NOT going to expedite you through over zealous security or around the huge, indecisive tour group that are standing still on the moving walkway.

It never happened to you maybe. Try asking for baggage assistance from a stewardess on a union-crewed foreign carrier (United and Air France spring to my mind). They are specifically disbarred from touching any and all passengers hand carry. Luckily, the regional carriers staff do tend to be a bit more helpful.

But you really must confide here what airline and sector you are talking about where you can check-in at the 11th hour and then dander leisurely to the gate for a last-minute boarding and still have a smiling trolley dolly take your bag and stow it for you in the virtually empty overhead bins.

There should be someone looking CLOSELY at the tickets or boarding passes the passenger is carrying. A lot of airlines dropped the need to re-check your return booking 48-hours before departure. A lot of infrequent fliers then decide to change their flights without notifying the airline until they front up with a ticket for last Monday's flight! Then the check in agent becomes a reservation agent and if flights are full or connections fall apart, then it gets silly. Accordingly, those failing the ticket pre-inspection would get routed to an unmanned check-in desk marked 'Muppets' and those more savvy can check in with ease at the First, Business or Coach desks accordingly.

Edited by NanLaew

If you book Tiger airlines then check in closes 20minutes before departure. But it actually says on the bottom of the ticket flights from india the check in closes 45mins before departure. I guess they have been experiencing problems with customers there.

I did notice the Indians take a lot of time. Always some confusion or problem.

Then 3 or 4 trips back thru the metal detector....

You forgot as they walk down the aisle in the plane with their rucksack on their back they're blissfully unaware of smashing people in the face with it who are already seated!

Worst these days is the mobile phones and the "I must get off the second the planes wheels ( and sometimes before) touch down", click click clik click I hear followed by the hostess saying pls remain seated and seat belts on until the plane has come to a complete halt.

Oh what I'd give for a sudden stop sometimes and they go flying!

Trouble is that if they did injuries may occur. This would then become an aircraft incident and you will just sit there on the plane until it has been completley resoved and investigated. blink.png Wishful thinking can have consequenses.facepalm.gif

Edited by harrry

I remember flying from USA to Tokyo then to PR China/Hong Kong//Bangkok etc. in the late 80's and 90's and routinely there were 4 seats across in the middle of a 747 so one could lie down and/or sleep. Passengers in Business Class used to go back to Economy and avail themselves as well.

Nowadays almost every seat on the 777 type aircraft is occupied and people are just more stressed about the whole experience. My solution: Fly as little as possible. My trip last month to USA was my first time on an airplane in 2 years.

I do online check-in wherever I can to avoid queues.

This doesn't always prevent delays in check-in especially when traveling to middle eastern countries. Visas in arabic cause confusion when check-in staff can't read arabic especially when the dates are in arabic script.

Trying to be helpful I've downloaded an official english version of my arabic visa in the past but this also caused a delay. The check-in staff had never seen it before and called over a supervisor to show them.

On landing, I remain in my seat until the aisle is clear after almost everyone else has disembarked. Ironically, they look at me as though I've got heads while they jostle and elbow each other to gain one position. Wonder what they're thinking when my bags arrive first at the baggage claim?

Probably....Sh#t your good...clap2.gif

Then you have to face the other great annoyance.. The big crowds who hang around the conveyor with their trolley next to them.

Yes, absolutely annoying.

When choosing the right checkin queue, avoid:

* chinese mini groups. One person checks for 10+ people. Takes ages.

* young farang families w. children. The stressed woman always packed too much and the stressed husband has to cope with her aggression

* Thai people who wrote their name wrong when booking via internet

Absolutely.

Let me add 2 more to the list.

South Asians, Indians, Bangladeshis, etc. Every encounter is an opportunity for a negotiation and they know pushy persistence sometimes pays.

Sub-Saharan Africans. Not too many of these checking in at Bangkok, however. They are absolutely serial offenders when it comes to trying to check in overweight luggage. You would think they would learn they cannot check in a 36 kg suitcase by the second or thrd attempt but they keep trying and repacking and trying over and over.

Why?

Because there are too many people in the world and most of them are stupid.

I just stood in a narrow aisle of a Tesco Express. They were stocking and there was no room to get by. This woman was on the other side of an open cooler door, looking at every single, freaking packet of chicken. I'm talking a good four minutes of zoned-out staring at legs and thighs and breasts. Her, not me.

I said excuse me, a number of times. She looked at me, then went back to her chicken. I studied her without further word, out of sheer amazement. She finally drifted away without buying anything.

I grabbed a couple of thighs and was on my way.

Delays at checkin counters occur because there are issues that have to be sorted out that the agent has trouble dealing with;

1. IT systems are slow or malfunctioning

2. Connections to other airlines have to be keyed in and the agent can't get it worked out

3. There is a flight problem on the route and the agent has to reroute or modify the itinerary

4. There are additional changes to make such as charging for excess luggage or an upgrade

5. People have buggered up their ticket or want to make a change.

6. The agent is inefficient.

Or your flying Thai airlines

At the risk of sounding racist; Indians! If there is a queue with an Indian in it I will avoid it if possible. I don't know why but they always seem to have an issue which requires time to sort out.

They're trying to get a discount, a free upgrade, a free gift even.

I have a radical idea, lets start charging to take onboard hand luggage. Of course we make some exemptions, if you have a child under the age of 5 years old or can produce a medical certificate proving you need to take certain medication during the flight, then theres no charge. Everyone should be charged THB 5000 per person.

Ladies, please understand that we do not care if your not wearing lipstick, your mascaras smudged or your hair is out of place, we just want to check in.

Men, do you really need your mobile f££king phone, say your goodbyes before you check in and be done with it. This constant hold up because some Ahole is argueing that an Ipad is not a laptop was funny the first time, now its just grindingly irritating.

Lets look at the payoff for this action. Moving through security at the airport would speed up no end. Getting on and off the aircraft would be smooth.

If you really cant do without the hand luggage, then cough up and smile.

so you want me to check in expensive laptop and what ever else I hand carry, or pay for the privilege.

Can't understand people moving into the plane at the gate as soon boarding will be announced, too. If you wait there until the masses are gone, you don't have to wait in line, have the best place at the overhead locker for hand luggage, see which rows are not occupied, less waiting inside the plane etc etc

The reason why people here want to get on first, is because they have hand luggage that is probably double the weight of their checked in luggage (if they checked any in). They then proceed to take up all the space in the overhead lockers. The irony is that some people can't even lift the bag, it's so heavy anf the flight attendant helps them without saying anything.....so much for 7 kilograms. If I had my way I'd make them get off and check it in, but we know that won't happen if the flight is to leave on time.

The main reason for all that unnecessary hustle is unconscious tension to be left behind, which is not possible. If you are late, because immigration jam, they wait for you. If you have your boarding pass, no one else will sit on your seat. If you have hand luggage, there will always be room for that. No reason at all to be nervous, no reason at all to be relieved, if you finally sit at your seat.......

Yes in fact one day flying out of BKK on Garuda, I had a fast taxi driver leave with some photographic equipment in the back seat. Because I had photo'd his number plate, I thought I'd check it in with the police. (No they said. must photo the photo ID) Anyway by the time I got there, Garuda check in had had actually closed and were packing up. Not to worry they hopped on the phones, put my baggage down the oversize baggage counter, gave me a special pass and said "Run!" Nice people at Garuda. I had also forgotten to fill in my departure card. The Thai customs lady did not even look at me. She filled it in quickly herself and deadpan said "Go!" I arrived panting before the plane had started boarding.

Try doing this in Australia!!!! What a lesson. No wonder Bangkok has so many tourists.

love people who travel 20 years behind the times. makes it such a pleasure for the rest of us.

web check in. wonderful

The Internet checkin line (luggage drop?) is often as long as the rest and you still have the <deleted> with too much luggage.

The answer is always fly Business and you don't have to mix with The Great Unwashed. Or at least have a Gold Card

Lenghty waits in lines I think is a lifelong frustration for just about everybody. Getting pissed off at the person who seems to need so much time. People for whom buying stamps at the post office seems to be a matter of long drawn out negotiations. It is the worst at banks, people who seem to have chosen residence in front of the counter, frustration rising to the top when the bank employee stands up to disappear into a back office to consult a superior. But it is easy to overlook that time zips by when you are being serviced yourself, and when you are waiting the clock seems to have about stopped. Getting worked up about it, you only spoil your own good mood.

Whole planeloads of passengers standing up and trying to force their way into the aisle as soon as the plane lands..only to have to wait for the transfer bus, wait on the transfer bus, wait at immigration, wait at baggage collection, wait wait wait

Not if you pay the extra 1000 bhat and fly in business class on TG

Or take the Nok premium seat.

Did you miss a zero or 2? How do you manage that as the flight I take regularly would cost me nearly two and a half times the same rate as the Economy fair?

Geriatrickid probably means that he gets priority baggage handling and a fast track card.

This card gets you thru immigration quickly and when your suitcase comes out on the belt first, you're off.

EVA Air Royal Laurel class has the same priveleges.