Where To Find Quality Expats In Thailand

andrew

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this superficial judging of people by where they live here in LOS. Gees, what's next the color of their skin? Their religion? I thought the remark about the expats in Udon based on a couple of days hanging around bars was particularly ignorant and it now grows into a bigger post. I guess I just don't judge like some do. I think I could be happy anywhere here. I live in Phuket and have hundreds of acquaintances and a few friends and for the most part I like everybody. I think most places are like this in LOS. Well...except for Pattaya.

And there it was. The word "ignorant". I completely agree. Generalizations of the sorts made in this thread can only be described as ignorant.

Seems like many observations are done from bars. Statistically, where would you find a hard working "quality" person most of the time? On a bar? Don't think so.

I don't get this superficial judging of people by where they live here in LOS. Gees, what's next the color of their skin? Their religion? I thought the remark about the expats in Udon based on a couple of days hanging around bars was particularly ignorant and it now grows into a bigger post. I guess I just don't judge like some do. I think I could be happy anywhere here. I live in Phuket and have hundreds of acquaintances and a few friends and for the most part I like everybody. I think most places are like this in LOS. Well...except for Pattaya.

And there it was. The word "ignorant". I completely agree. Generalizations of the sorts made in this thread can only be described as ignorant.

Seems like many observations are done from bars. Statistically, where would you find a hard working "quality" person most of the time? On a bar? Don't think so.

Agree everything you both have said except you contradict your own quote Pinot "I thought the remark about the expats in Udon based on a couple of days

hanging around bars was particularly ignorant and it now grows into a bigger post. I guess I just don't judge like some do" and then you had to add "except for Pattaya." ? and I'm refering to the part where you stated "I guess I just don't judge like some do"

Edited by ozziebloke

I am the guy who started the thread "my recent trip to Udon".

Unfortunately you are missing the point I made about expats. In this thread you have graded expats entirely on their income. I am only in my forties and have retired early to Thailand as a self made millionaire. However, I do not judge other expats by their net worth, or their salary.

I judge them on their self respect. In Udon, I did not observe a single expat who took pride in himself or his conduct.

Why on earth was your "Recent trip to Udon",from Phuket of all places by bus then?cheesy.gif

Even the cheapest backpacker would NOT make that epic journey by bus,a millionaire business man would just fly Silk Air (Business Class) with Thai Air for around 10-15,000 baht return!rolleyes.gif

The jealousy in a couple of posts is tangible. Maybe the people that make their millions are the ones that do things their way, make decisions they want and spend their money how they choose...not how the sheep do things!!

Bunch of sad oafs!!

If you don't mind the rudest , most narcisisstic people in the world, I guess the Japanese can be said to be quite industrious.

Has anyone seen the Japanese men at Pattaya? I saw several a few years ago with what looked like 12 yr old Thai girls.

Yep, really morrally upright! A different take on "comfort women".

Chulai 6768

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, breathe, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Good wind up.... clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Thank you.

You are most welcome you little tinker...!!! I think your post had the effect you wanted it to have... Just saying

Cool username, btw

Ranong is wealthier than Bangkok, Chonburi and Samut Prakan ? You learn something new everyday.

Apparently, yes. I've seen the stats. Have you? Ever heard of the Detroit of the East?

Ranong ain't Rayong. Many of the fine execs of the 'Detroit of the East' live in Pa Pa Patta oh forget it.

Edited by DekDaeng

Back home we have specific phrases that easily define if a man is of quality (as judged by his peers, his associates, and the wider community) and worthy of being associated with, or not.

A man of quality, irrespective of wealth, education, status, or job is called a "good bastard" or a "good keen bloke". The opposite to a good bastard or a good keen bloke is a "<deleted>".

Good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads come from all walks of life, are rich or poor, highly educated or left school at 15, went to a private or a public school, and may have a highly paid job or be unemployed.

The same applies in Thailand. The place is full of good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads - regardless of where in the country they live, what they do, how old or rich they are.

'<deleted>' as in

Agree everything you both have said except you contradict your own quote Pinot "I thought the remark about the expats in Udon based on a couple of days

hanging around bars was particularly ignorant and it now grows into a bigger post. I guess I just don't judge like some do" and then you had to add "except for Pattaya." ? and I'm refering to the part where you stated "I guess I just don't judge like some do"

It was an attempt at humor.

I'm not active with questions & threads, so apologies if I'm off track here.

1) We have a house in Pattaya. Have met some decent neighbors, both expat and Thai - But overall, I hate the place and spend as little time there as possible. I'd really rather go to the dentist than Pattaya. Won't waste space repeating what other's already said ...

2) We live in Nakhon Sawan. Have met some folks, but my wife doesn't want to meet people at a Temple.

3) My wife wants to move up North - 30 mins East of Chunphae. I've met many bugs. Few Farangs.

Anyone have specific advice for connecting with the middle of he barrel and up (Ie - I'm average - Not looking to go golfing with Thaksin's Sister ... )

• Like 1

Another Pattaya bashing thread?w00t.gif

Isn't there a quota system in effect on that?

I love Pattaya bashing threads, especially when performed by up country guys with bar girl wives they met in Pattaya. The hypocrisy is wonderful !!! Plus since I live here, I can easily judge the accuracy of the bashing comments...

Not living in Pattaya and not bashing on it either, but when you state critics general being married to bar girls makes me wonder who unbiased

you are "easily judging the accuracy of the bashing comments".............whistling.gif

Another Pattaya bashing thread?w00t.gif

Isn't there a quota system in effect on that?

I love Pattaya bashing threads, especially when performed by up country guys with bar girl wives they met in Pattaya. The hypocrisy is wonderful !!! Plus since I live here, I can easily judge the accuracy of the bashing comments...

Not living in Pattaya and not bashing on it either, but when you state critics general being married to bar girls makes me wonder who unbiased

you are "easily judging the accuracy of the bashing comments".............whistling.gif

oops who=how

Back home we have specific phrases that easily define if a man is of quality (as judged by his peers, his associates, and the wider community) and worthy of being associated with, or not.

A man of quality, irrespective of wealth, education, status, or job is called a "good bastard" or a "good keen bloke". The opposite to a good bastard or a good keen bloke is a "<deleted>".

Good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads come from all walks of life, are rich or poor, highly educated or left school at 15, went to a private or a public school, and may have a highly paid job or be unemployed.

The same applies in Thailand. The place is full of good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads - regardless of where in the country they live, what they do, how old or rich they are.

" Do you come from a land down under.......? "

thumbsup.gif

Such an iconic and unforgettable intro!

Edited by Eesat
  • Like 1

Bravo! Some sense at last!

Next step isn't that easy, though. What makes them 'good' or 'bad' ? How you call them is not important... clap2.gif

I don't know what the big deal is. As someone pointed out I don't believe the OP who, while stating he is a millionaire also stated he took a bus to Udon. Right. I always charter a private jet to take me, and wait for me until I'm ready to return. cheesy.gif

What's the big deal about quality of expats? All I need is a couple of good friends and we let the rest of the world go by. That's the same in my home country except being longer I have more friends.

There are nice people everywhere, and axxholes mixed in with all upper class pretenders.

Your country is long?

Is it Chile?

Bloody freezing - in the south especially!

Andrew, give up, you wrote Ranong many times. It is quite evident to me that you are new to the country and don't know Chiang Mai for Chiang Rai. Plus, Thailand is full of scum expats wherever you are because it is just a cheap dirty joint to live. Period. So who cares whether the rich expats (who can be the worst scum some times, read Russians) live?

Your question is where to find quality expats

In thailand or anywhere in the world there is not really a real place to find like minded people, as we all have different definition of what type of people we want to associate with.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps it makes more sense to call this a compatibility problem rather than a "quality" problem. Before leaving our home countries most of us probably found our friends and acquaintances based on common interests or activities: work, school, church, politics, whatever. Chances are, most of your friendships were cultivated over a long period of time.

Then you move here for whatever reason (work, retirement, etc.) and, all of a sudden, you're mostly alone; at least at first. Finding friends and acquaintances can be problematic because you no longer belong to any of the affinity groups through which you formerly found compatible mates.

It may not be easy to find expats here that are much like the friends you left behind. Of course, it's tempting, but very wrong, to become judgmental and assume that people who are not like you are somehow of lower quality.

I spent most of my adult life on a small island in the Pacific surrounded by friends who were mostly well-educated, liberal professionals; just like me. Like it or not, those are the sorts of people with whom I feel comfortable. The result is, and I know it's my fault, I've ended up with pretty much no friends here in Thailand. I find it very hard to find much in common with the Fox-news-loving, rough-and-tumble, blue collar types that seem to be so prevalent. Again, my fault. I'm sure most of these folks are decent and kind people. It's just that, at first, there seems to be little basis for friendship.

But, again, to call people who think differently from me "low quality" is a horrible mistake.

Ratsima that has got to be one of the most sensible and well balanced posts I have ever read whilst 'skimming' TV. I wish you lived in the North! I too miss the friends made mostly working in an international career spanning 33 years. Now I have retired early I have few friends so have become pretty much a loner but enjoy a healthy and rewarding life with my Thai wife and son. It is just a bit lonely out here in the very rural sticks of the North. Similarly this is my entirely my own fault and my choice, so I am not looking for any sympathy.

To put it into context though I have to say the mostly low quality individuals I did meet in my first 5 years in the LoS have in some part determined where and how I eventually choose to live now. It just seems integrity in a person is something that is sadly lacking these days; one might note however that it has been said that my expectations are far too high. My father always taught me that 'you will always be judged by the company you keep'. I have tried to dodge this advice on a number of occasions and have ended up disappointed with the majority of expat friendships I have attempted to make here in Thailand.

I don't often log on to comment on anything as I really cannot be bothered with the inevitable tirade of responses from those who have an axe to grind no matter what the subject. Far too much hot air in here....... Also I have wondered in the past if some posts are strategically planted by sponsors or advertisers peddling their wares.......

• Like 1