Foreigner Robs Bangkok Suburban Bank

webfact

I hAVe guN

And KNiFe

Fill The bAg

with MONey

QuieTLy

Mixing upper and lowercase letters - these words are most likely not written by a native English speaker/writer.

Nope done to disguise where he came from for sure, I'd do that

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many more Brits so much more likely to be one of them.

Why the humongous chip on your shoulder?

If it is not the German drug trafficker then we may all have a good laugh when it turns out to be an Australian or a North American. coffee1.gif

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
He's always like that. Hit "ignore" or "troll block enabled"
  • Like 1

Without jumping to conclusions and being overly critical I wonder about the " European " looking claim as Thais aren't noted for being worldly wise and the " semi English " comment is good given the general standard, or lack thereof, of supposedly English speaking Thais.

The note is exactly how any smart English speaker would write such a note intended for Thai people to read.

He left out 2 prepositions: "a".... that's it. They weren't necessary. I suppose he could have written "please".biggrin.png

I hAVe guN

And KNiFe

Fill The bAg

with MONey

QuieTLy

Mixing upper and lowercase letters - these words are most likely not written by a native English speaker/writer.

I think you're being overly optimistic about the educational standards of the average American or British tourist cum bank robber.

Apart from the fact that writing is a declining skill for most English speakers these days. Who writes much? We spend most of our time typing.

Without jumping to conclusions and being overly critical I wonder about the " European " looking claim as Thais aren't noted for being worldly wise and the " semi English " comment is good given the general standard, or lack thereof, of supposedly English speaking Thais.

The note is exactly how any smart English speaker would write such a note intended for Thai people to read.

He left out 2 prepositions: "a".... that's it. They weren't necessary. I suppose he could have written "please".biggrin.png

Agreed

I'd say he wrote it in a half-hearted effort to disguise his handwriting.

I think that deserves a big hooray. No harm done, nobody´s injured. He will be the hero of the prison ward if ever he does get caught, but the amount is ridiculously low. Surely even a minor bank outlet must have more available in cash than 300K Baht...?

The missing German has turned up then.

My thoughts also. We may be wrong but there is a least one farang armed robber on the loose in desparate need of cash. If it is the German guy and only if he won't have to worry about being sent to Germany if he is caught.

The german guy is only 25 tho.

Yes, but only Thais look younger than their age. Most foreigners appear at least 10 years older.
Wrong!! Scotsman in a kilt also look younger. They never notice the wrinkles on my face............:w00t:

That's because of your make-up.

wELL i went tO severAL BanKS an they Were ALL a PuSHOVER,

So EAsy !!! ViRTUAlly no Security !!

I aM amking a gOOd living noW, and theY thinK i am EuroPEAn - 555 cheesy.gif

Well make sure you get a work permit or you'll be in serious trouble...

• Like 1

If it is not the German drug trafficker then we may all have a good laugh when it turns out to be an Australian or a North American. coffee1.gif

I think thais believe the world exists only of Europe where farangs come from and Asia where the rest come from. Have a Thai friend who actually thought that America and Australia were in Europe.

----------------

Like some people in London who actually believe that there are "British" and "Europeans" who live on different continents.

anyone landing at heathrow would think they are still in asia !

• Like 2

I hAVe guN

And KNiFe

Fill The bAg

with MONey

QuieTLy

Sorry to say, and paradoxical to boot, that's just not the case. Plenty of people speak decent English, but write at about this level. We mightn't like it, but it's true.

Well if we are talking semi English my thoughts would be Australian rather than North American.

Definately not an Aussie, doesn't fit the M.O.

If it was an Aussie he would have wrote I have a thong and a stubbie.

• Like 1

I'm surprised he got any money at all. Considering he wrote the note in English.

I'm surprised the teller didn't pass him a note saying "no have". sad.png

I'm surprised he got any money at all. Considering he wrote the note in English.

I'm surprised the teller didn't pass him a note saying "no have". sad.png

+1, post of the week clap2.gif

• Like 1

I think thais believe the world exists only of Europe where farangs come from and Asia where the rest come from. Have a Thai friend who actually thought that America and Australia were in Europe.

I know an American who thought that Belgium was a city in France. coffee1.gif

Well I known that many English Men do not know that London is Part of the Middle East

Edited by harryfrompattaya

How the heck a "european" looks like?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

for many, the 'national' costume is now niqab or shalwar kameez for women and kufi for men ?

Edited by attento

I feel pretty certain he was from an English speaking country but trying to appear to be from a non-English speaking country. Someone pointed out already the correct use of the adverb "quietly." A non-English speaker or a less educated English speaker would be more likely to use the adjective, "quiet." The omission of the article "a" was obviously a ruse or an attempt at Thaienglish. A non-English speaker would more likely omit the word "the" which is less used by non-English speakers because they find the "th" difficult to pronounce and seldom use it, even in their writing. Every word is spelled correctly, the grammatical structure is flawless (except for the total omission of punctuation), and the writer had the facility with the alphabet indicative of a lifetime user.

Best guess, an educated North American from east of the Rockies, an eastern Canadian, or a southern Australian. Probably a former school teacher. I don't know much about bank robberies in other countries, but this style of robbery is definitely popular in the U.S.A.

I bet it's definitely not popular with the Banks !

Edited by attento

"Well if we are talking semi English my thoughts would be Australian rather than North American."........

Seriously, when was the last time you had (or tried to) a conversation with a Pom ? Sometimes it is real hard work trying to understand what the hell they are on about. Talk about destroy a language.

And I know this grab had nothing to do with the two drunken Aussies who ran amok in Phukhet recently, otherwise the note would have said "a gun, a knife, and an ashtray" whistling.gif

IMO, the word "Caucasian" is much less recognized by Thais than "European" or "Westerner". Even though Australia is not located in Europe or the western side of the world, those two words are understandable to all. In addition, I think the bank teller had no time to ask the robber where he comes from. That's why she told us he was a guy with European look.

Surely their is cctv, why don't the BIB release pictures of the suspect for the press to print on the Thursday?. In all fairness other news sources may have pictures but with pictures it's highly likely they will have Western friends, or better still for the BIB Western enemies.

There is CCTV footage which has been shown on TV but it's not too clear. The suspect has a cap on and kept his head down but it could be enough for someone who knows or thinks he / she knows him.

No one was hurt, the moneys insured, so even if I did know who it was........................... I wouldn't tell.................. would you ?

No one was hurt, the moneys insured, so even if I did know who it was........................... I wouldn't tell.................. would you ?

"thequietman".... "quietly"... maybe it was you.biggrin.png

This report does send a signal out to would be robbers of how easy it is to lift some money from a bank here.

In Australia the media will not disclose how much money is taken in robberies. They might do well to follow this here.

Edited by tropo

"Well if we are talking semi English my thoughts would be Australian rather than North American."........

Seriously, when was the last time you had (or tried to) a conversation with a Pom ? Sometimes it is real hard work trying to understand what the hell they are on about. Talk about destroy a language.

And I know this grab had nothing to do with the two drunken Aussies who ran amok in Phukhet recently, otherwise the note would have said "a gun, a knife, and an ashtray" whistling.gif

From northern England I have trouble at times understanding Cornish, Cockney, Liverpool, Yorkshire,,Newcastle, Not everyone went to Eton !!!!! Dialect maybe is the word that describes persons from different parts of U.K.

Surely their is cctv, why don't the BIB release pictures of the suspect for the press to print on the Thursday?. In all fairness other news sources may have pictures but with pictures it's highly likely they will have Western friends, or better still for the BIB Western enemies.

There is CCTV footage which has been shown on TV but it's not too clear. The suspect has a cap on and kept his head down but it could be enough for someone who knows or thinks he / she knows him.

Definately would tell.

a lot of Americans think Australia is in Europe and couldn't find either on a map

i always thought the banks in the shopping malls seemed like prime targets for a rip off. zero security

I've met lots of Brits who still think they still have a great empire not a rump one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You must have some rare British aquaintances. I have never met any British person who believes that any part of the British empire is till in existance. A growing number of younger British citizens don't even know of it's former existance.

Maybe you mean "British influence". The good and bad affects of empire will be remembered for a long time.

• Like 2

Fair dinkum.

Works both ways though. I find any mention of the words 'The Ashes' and your average Bruce loses his limited ability to converse altogether. biggrin.png

It'd be quite amusing if the bloke stood there tooled up and the bank teller read the note and waved him away declaring " No you want to open bank account need work permit".

IMO, the word "Caucasian" is much less recognized by Thais than "European" or "Westerner". Even though Australia is not located in Europe or the western side of the world, those two words are understandable to all. In addition, I think the bank teller had no time to ask the robber where he comes from. That's why she told us he was a guy with European look.

To describe ethnicity without referring to geography the most commonly used word in English is 'white' but Thais get terribly confused about that because they think they're white.

Definately would tell.

What a strange notion that nobody is hurt when a robbery takes place. Many people are affected to a greater or lesser extent. (But, maybe he meant "hurt" in the narrow physical sense.)